This bio is as campy as anything Jacqueline Susann ever wrote.

Author: (jkinoz@aol.com) from Central Florida
22 April 2000

This bio is as campy and trashy as anything jacqueline Susann ever wrote. Michele Lee does an excellent job in her impersonation of Susann. Unlike Bette Midler's recent performance as Jackie in the movie "Isn't She Great", Lee is believable and makes the audience care. As an added treat, Barbara Parkins show up as Susann's book editor and gets to mutter the line, "Where is Barbara Parkins?" as she watches a scene from "Valley of the Dolls" be filmed. Whether you are a Jacqueline Susann fan or not, this one is worth checking out.

Susann would have loved it!

Many good moments in this Bio Pic

Author: rdooley123 from United States
19 August 2006

I found this a very good complement to the equally underrated, in my opinion, Isn't She Terrific. There are several memorable, and very effective moments in this film. Michele Lee does a very good job. A small film, but very enjoyable version of a wonderful love, and success story.

I remember how shocked we all were when Ms. Susanne's death was announced. In this film I remember her husbands' quiet pleading for her not to kill herself. I liked the depiction of the depths of Susannes demoralization as she chases "fame", over which she and her husband triumph. Her defense of the criticism of the frank passages in her book, as when she was confronted by her publisher that she couldn't write "You know how bitchy fags can be!" "It's true!" she declaims. I'm a gay man, she was right to defend her writing, and I loved the way Lee played it.

This version includes several EXCELLENT Ethyl Merman scenes, lots of fun, and very well played. I could go on: I saw this once, and was very impressed. Very Different than the Bette Midler version, which, in my opinion is an unusual vehicle to combing two wonderful stage performers, Midler and Nathan Lane. (Unusual yes, but people forget that this is both Midler and Lane together. (two performing legends, together)

Mediocre at best.

Author: panda bear from palookaville
25 November 2002

This is better then the Bette Midler vehicle but still doesn't work in my opinion. Michelle Lee looks a lot more like Susann then Bette Midler but she doesn't have Susann's spark, you need both. Lee produced this I assume because she wanted to play Susann. The same thing happened with Jessica Lange in the Patsy Cline story, she produced it, she played it, it didn't work,totally miscast. Bottom line: watchable but a missing something.