IMDb > The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Adventures of Pluto Nash

The Adventures of Pluto Nash More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A fun and enjoyable surprise.

Author: cedrickroberts from usa
9 September 2004

I am an Eddie Murphy fan, but I did not go to the theater to see this movie because of the horrible reviews that I read about it. My feelings after catching this movie on HBO are clear, don't necessarily base all of your decisions to watch a movie or not on highly publicized reviews. The fact is, that I enjoyed this movie. I thought that the cast was attractive and talented; and that there were some credible laughs. But most of all, I thoroughly enjoyed the way the movie looked and how it was filmed. This film was simply not as bad as the critics said it was. It is possible that because the critics criticized the movie so much, that when I finally saw the movie, and was not repulsed by it, that I began to relax and enjoy it. I think that many of the critics were expecting a Beverly Hills Cop-type laugh fest, but that is not a comedy that's really an action-drama with a few laughs. This is strictly a sci-fi comedy, as such, it does not take itself seriously; and neither should you if you decide to watch it. Just see if you enjoy it. I sure did.

Old Fashioned Sci-Fi

Author: (kathmandu) from Texarkana, TX
24 August 2002

This was a really cool movie considering no one makes cool sci-fi movies much. It had a pretty good story, like a remake of a 1950's nightclub noir film. It really had an early R. Heinlein or Phillip K. Dick feel to it, sort of. The effects were neat if not ground breaking and Eddie Murphy did a credible job. Randy Quaid was funny and annoying at the same time. Also had a really funny cameo of Pam Greir as Eddie's mom. A nice, solid movie. Not perfect by any means with lots of science mistakes but then Hollywood does that a lot anyway. This movie reminds me of Total Recall if I had to put a name on it.

The humor was much more sophisticated than I expected and there were no Uranus jokes, contrary to other reviews. If you are going to lie, try a little harder.

People who are cutting-down this movie never saw it!

Author: Cornelus from Somewhere where it's cold & wet
24 August 2002

The movie is fine for a matinee comedy ... the story's a little weak, but I dare anyone who expects each action-comedy to be sidesplittingly funny to check out some of the "classics" from the 70's, and not come away disappointed. In the hands of a better screenwriter & director who know how to keep audiences from getting bored, this movie could've really had potential. As it stands, it's still better than most teen-oriented drivel coming out.

Kudos to Randy Quaid, who's about the only one entirely believable in his role (and to think he had the toughest part!). Eddie Murphy does an OK job, but its clear his best part is as a character actor, or someone a little more interesting (like Jay Mohr's character). Easily a 6, and I'll probably vote a 7 just to balance out those cast votes to movies sight-unseen.

The "Bringing Up Baby" of it's time

Author: XweAponX from United States
7 November 2010

"The Adventures of Pluto Nash" has the same type of pacing, wit, slapstick, and raging sidesplitting comedy- and and even bits of Pseudoscience- as the Howard Hawks 1938 and also-not appreciated-in-its-time "Bringing Up Baby". Perhaps not classic material as the latter, but surely contains all the elements that made Bringing up Baby the unstoppable string of events it is - And Pluto Nash certainly is a nonstop romp through a fictional future. Some of the gag elements - Including Hilary Clinton's face on a $10,000 dollar Bill... This film has so many details like that, where you just have to accept the incredulity of it all: And although gags like that were used in films like 1990's Total Recall (Mars Today Newspaper rack on Mars) and The 5th Element (Cigarettes that are 3/4 butt with a small amount of tobacco), the gags do not take over the scenes, they just happen to be there just to add to the general insanity.

Not being familiar with Director Ron Underwood other than 1990's "Tremors" I watched this because I had to see Eddie Murphy working with Randy Quaid, who also has a great sense of comedy (re: 1996's "Independence Day"). Underwood has an impressive list of works including "City Slickers" and "Mighty Joe Young". John Powell did the soundtrack and it smacks of some of his other films, blending the pop music of the soundtrack with his strains of heavy melodic beat.

Cameos by the great Pam Grier, Alec Baldwin, Illeana Douglas, John Cleese, James Rebhorn as a crook and even other classics like Burt Young and Peter Boyle... There is simply a lot of good talent in this film, Rosario Dawson, Joe Joe Pantoliano, Jay Mohr, and Luiz Guzman.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this, it is classic comedy, not modern comedy- You don't have to think, the jokes are hand delivered by Murphy and Quaid through most of the film, with Quaid almost stealing the whole film and Pantoliano a close second. Eddie is simply Eddie, and can make you laugh just by looking at you, nobody had to work to be funny, it just is. The other players toss in their bit on cue. It is simply set in a futuristic setting, and due to that, the gags are unique and hilarious.

If only they could film on location in "Little America" on the moon, perhaps in 2087, they will be able to do that.

Entertaining

Author: dude-281 from Sweden
12 September 2006

Randy as Bruno was awesome, Murphy was solid as always, the story was fun and with music from outcast makes this just a great space comedy! Best comparison is Fifth Element mixed with Total Recall but it's not a rip, I get annoyed when people can't look at a movie and enjoy it for what it is which is a fun family movie for everyone! Playing Frank Sinatra was also adorable, love the touch and the hole robot theme. The music is just great too, I love the sound track! If I would sum this movie with one word it would be "Happy" because that's how I felt after seeing it! =D Only negative would be the story as a hole but I figure it's made for everyone including a young public and a bit predictable but other then that there's nothing I can complain about.

I like this movie. Hence, I will doubtlessly never be employed as a professional movie critic.

Author: madkaugh from United States
13 April 2009

I picked this up in a bargain bin, and was shocked. Nothing major is wrong with this movie. It's not a great movie, but it is imaginative, clever, technically head and shoulders better than most sci fi, has great CGI. The set design was on par with Total Recall.

I'm not connecting with the criticisms at all. I can see it not winning awards. I cannot see it garnering the universal criticism it did.

Someone called the action scenes weak and wooden. For 1/6 g? Have you seen footage of the astronauts walking on the moon? I wouldn't even call the plot weak. The twist ending was genuinely surprising, certainly as good as Freejack.

In fact, the thing that bugged me the most seemed to be among many people's favorite. I thought Randy Quaid's libidinous android felt unrealistic, and marred the overall emphasis on a possible future. Imagine Marvin the paranoid robot taking Data's place. A bit hard to take seriously, no?

I'm glad I took the minor risk and made the purchase. I will keep the DVD and watch it again occasionally.

Adventures of Pluto Nash, not Humor of Pluto Nash!

Author: Mr_Jackhammer from USA
1 September 2002

It seems that a lot of people went into this movie expecting a sidesplitting comedy. That was not the point of the movie. This movie was rocking good sci-fi action, with just enough humor to keep it fun without degenerating into the usual slapstick retardation. The plot was fun and interesting, and I really liked the way the movie had an atmosphere that melded the future with the past. Notice in particular the cool looking vehicles. It was a little like Total Recall, and also like The Fifth Element, but this doesn't mean it stole from either. It was quite original I think. I recommend this movie, it is fun and exciting. Just don't expect a total comedy and lots of dirty jokes or you will be disappointed. Expect some good science fiction, with some genuinely funny moments. I enjoyed this movie a lot. Give it a chance, don't decide what it is and then think it sucks because it's not what you expected.

Poor Randy Quaid!

Author: rosscinema (rosscinema@comcast.net) from Oceanside, Ca.
9 November 2003

This is just another example of the continuing downward spiral of Eddie Murphy's once exciting career. Murphy will always have scripts handed to him and he'll always be working in films but the once edgy comedian has lost his edge a long time ago. This story takes place in the future where Earth has populated the Moon and a former smuggler named Pluto Nash (Murphy) takes over a nightclub from a friend and Nash makes it a big success and moneymaker. A young woman and aspiring singer named Dina Lake (Rosario Dawson) asks for a job but all Nash gives her is the opportunity to waitress. Some mobsters have been buying up the local business's and they want Nash's club but he won't sell. So they blow the place up and try to kill him but Nash, Dina and a robot named Bruno (Randy Quaid) escape and the mobsters try and find him. This film was directed by Ron Underwood who is usually reliable with lightweight comedy like this but this film fails from the outset. The special effects are adequate but not overly impressive. Many of the scenes are clearly filmed on a soundstage and in one shot Underwood resorts to actors being hoisted by wires for the gravity effect. Didn't they stop doing that in the 60's? And poor Randy Quaid has to play a horny and overly sensitive robot. Were we really suppose to find it amusing that he tries to get it on with other robots? But the big flaw comes from Murphy himself. This once exciting comedian use to be so reliable for edgy performances but here he plays his character totally straight. As you watch this you keep waiting for Murphy to say something witty and off the cuff but it never happens. It looks like Murphy has decided to try and be an action star or be the romantic lead. Murphy has become boring to watch and its sad to watch his films now. Pam Grier pops up as Murphy's mother but she has nothing to do. She has maybe two scenes and then she runs off (Literally). This film wastes opportunities and the script has nothing new to offer. Along with Murphy's boring and drab performance this film was dead on arrival!

How was that a bad flick exactly?

Author: JERICH9478 from United Kingdom
21 June 2004

Pluto Nash, i thought too myself I'm never going to watch a film that has gotten terrible reviews but then i changed my mind, while watching TV i thought i might as well give it a chance i mean it can't be all that bad right? i was proved wrong, many say this film is the downfall of Eddie Murphy, I Strongly disagree, sure it's a kid's film and defers's from his usual Axel Foley i'm a cop who's going to laugh himself to get out of troubled situations but i found myself stuck to the screen highly enjoying this. Give it ago, just because a movie gets a bad review doesn't mean it's going to be bad, Day After Tomorrow got more rave reviews then Pluto Nash (but then every film has) i found myself enjoying this film more then i did with that, it has some funny humour moments in it and is a well entertaining popcorn flip if thats what your looking for

I was prepared to hate this... But "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" was a Pleasant Surprise!

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
10 January 2011

3.7. A 3.7 out of 10. As I sit here, writing this review, this film has a user-average rating of 3.7 out of 10. I'm going out on a limb here, and assume that there are many people who blindly voted low scores to bring down the rating, based solely on the negative publicity. Because, I honestly can't believe that they all witnessed the same film I did. (Not to mention, mass negative voting from people who haven't seen the film is a problem here for movies with hype or notoriety.)

I knew the story, I heard about it all. The film was shelved for two years, didn't get much publicity, and was released August of 2002. Releasing a major comedy with a huge budget 2 years after completion, with little publicity on almost the exact date of the 1-year anniversary of one of the biggest tragedies to ever hit the US... Seriously, did the studio even think when they tried to push this film out? I can only assume not. Critics crucified it. Audiences ignored it. It was a flop.

I went along, blindly following the notion that because it flopped, it sucked. (Although, I have found out that many great films flopped, among them "It's a Wonderful Life.") Finally a few months ago, a friend of mine said: "Hey Adam, let's watch 'Pluto Nash'! It's on NetFlix!" I scoffed, but after he persisted, I agreed.

I'm glad I did.

"Pluto Nash" was refreshingly entertaining, and in no way was it the abysmal slight against cinema I had been told it was.

The film centers on Pluto Nash (Eddie Murphy in a fun performance), his sidekick robot Bruno (Randy Quaid in perhaps my favorite performance in the film) and Dina Lake (the astonishingly beautiful Rosario Dawson), with numerous other actors in supporting roles. Nash is the owner the nightclub "Club Nash", on the moon, some time in the future. He bought the club to save the life of a friend (Jay Mohr), who has since become a famous "singer" in a snazzy upscale part of the moon, leaving Nash behind. Dina arrives, hoping to work for Nash in order to earn money to buy her way back to Earth.

Soon, henchmen sent by the mysterious Rex Crater arrive, interested in buying Nash's club. When Nash turns them down, they destroy the place. Nash, Dina and Bruno vow to discover who this Rex Carter is, and stop him.

And so begins this fun action/comedy/sci-fi feature. In all honesty, the story is cliché, but it actually works quite well. This isn't supposed to be a revolutionary masterpiece, it's meant to be a fun good-guys-VS-bad-guys-buddy-movie type film, only set on the moon in the future. The characters are quite endearing and likable as well. They feel like people you'd want to hang out with.

The special effects (which were unfairly criticized at the time) are surprisingly good, considering they were from 2000 (remember, the film was finished but shelved for two years), and the direction of Ron Underwood is quite nice. Visually, the film is a treat.

The cast works. Murphy, Dawson and Quaid are all great in their roles, and supporting characters are played very well by some big names, such as Peter Boyle, Pam Greir, Burt Young and even a cameo by Alec Baldwin.

The music is fun, the editing is great, the set design is exquisite, the acting is generally very good, the direction is fantastic, the story is decent enough. I really can't say much. The craftsmanship is very competent. It's not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination from any conceivable way you look at it. Is it a particularly strong film? No. But is it a halfway decent film with some laughs and some heart? Yes, it is most definitely. I also admire the fact that this film isn't ashamed of being light-hearted and positive. A lot of films (especially these days) try to be dark and gritty. It's nice to see just a positive, fun film.

I honestly can't understand how this was so hated by critics upon release, and so ignored by the general public. It's a very fun movie, and I had a blast watching it. I will gladly be buying this flick sometime soon, and sharing it with others, so they can finally see this treat they missed out on.

I give "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" a good 7 out of 10. It's lighthearted fun.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]