Blazing Dragons (TV Series 1996–1998) Poster

(1996–1998)

"Monty Python" with training wheels
Baroque30 August 2002
Monty Python alumni Terry Jones created this witty cartoon series, and his talent shows. The writing is clever and filled with all sorts of puns and comic historical references, often with surreal tweaks. In one episode, the minstrel, who appears at the beginning and end of the shows singing a short song about the story, is referred to by one of the Square Table Knights. Another knight responds, "You mean he's real? I thought he was a continuation device created by the writers!"

The second season's animation quality suffered, but the writing talent remained strong.

In the USA, this is currently shown during the overnight hours (12:30 AM Pacific!) on Toon Disney. Why it isn't on Comedy Central goes beyond me. The humor will even keep even the most jaded adult viewers amused. Highly recommended for your friends in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a great little show!
RogueBelle23 August 2001
I, too, discovered this on Toon Disney at 1:30 in the morning. (I make it a habit to watch late-night cartoons). This show is absolutely fabulous. I love cartoons, and this one just takes the cake. Everything about it is so creative and funny--even the theme song is uniquely hilarious! Anyone who thinks cartoons are just for kids needs to check out this series: the adult humor is wonderful.
heartfelt plea
Ralph Caton22 March 2001
It's a pity that this film series isn't available on video or DVD - in the UK its been aired once on terrestrial TV (1996), and I doubt given the fashion in cartoons now whether they will ever air it again. The second series was cruder in animation than the first,and even the first lacked attention to some details, but the gags were excellent and the characterizations - particularly the Loungealot/Flicker dialogues - superb.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This should not be on at 1:30 in the morning!
Thanos611 April 2000
How would anyone see it, unless they're a night owl like me? I stumbled across this on Toon Disney at 1:30 in the morning, and it made me laugh like only two other cartoons--Darkwing Duck and Garfield and Friends--ever have.

Flicker, Flame, King Allfire, Sir Loungelot, all of them are great characters. The script is witty. Take this line by King Allfire: "Blazing dragons!...I simply have GOT to think of another expletive."

This is great!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love this series!!!
Tempest-213 August 1999
Probably one of the least well known and funniest cartoons out there. It has plenty of adult humor as well as childrens'. In fact, children probably wouldn't get a lot of the jokes. Typical British humor. A must for anyone who liked Monty Python.