IMDb > "The Adventures of Tintin" (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Adventures of Tintin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Adventures of Tintin" More at IMDbPro »

Herge would have been proud.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
11 August 2002

The previous television adaptation of the cub reporter with the Hugh Grant-type fringe and the twisted taste in legwear was in serialised five-minute form (all together now - "HERRRGEEEE'S ADVENNNNTURRRRES OF TINTIN!!!") way back in the 1960s; this newer version was less bite-sized in its presentation, and was much better animated as well as remarkably faithful for the most part to its source material. (Unlike virtually all other famous fictional creations, Tintin's adventures on film, TV and radio have all come from Herge's work - in accordance with his wishes, no one's allowed to concoct new stories now that the original creator is dead.)

Of course, there were a few tweaks made to bring Tintin, Captain Haddock, the Thompson Twins, Professor Calculus, Signora Bianca Castafiore and the rest to television this time, but nothing story-wrecking (in the adaptation of "The Broken Ear," the two villains of the piece are brought to justice alive - in the book they drown and go to Hell). The writers, animators and voice cast preserve the spirit of the tales wonderfully; Tintin may speak with a Canadian voice, but so what? It's not like the series has been thoroughly butchered. Far better than "Tintin and the Lake of Sharks," and one of Nelvana's best.

"PRODUCED BY TELE-HACHETTE AND BELVISION!!!!" (The '60s one, that is. Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

"Very loyal to the comic books"

Author: simon-trek from Sydney, Australia
1 December 2004

I can't imagine Tintin or any other characters from the Tintin books played by actors, I just think it would botch up the characters. I can only imagine them either as comic book characters or cartoon characters. This Tintin cartoon series is as close as you could possibly get to the Tintin comic books. The characters all look and sound exactly as they do in the comic books. Each episode of the Tintin cartoon (either one or two part episodes) has basically the same story as in each of the Tintin books. Not just the same story, the same characters the same settings even some of the same quotes. I've enjoyed the Tintin cartoon

series as well as the Tintin books ever since I was a child. Tintin is basically meant for children but a number of adults like Tintin as well. Some episodes of the Tintin cartoon have been available on video but I wish all the entire series was available on DVD.

For those who aren't familiar with Tintin, the main characters in the Tintin saga isn't just Tintin the intrepid reporter and adventurer and his clever little dog Snowy. Tintin has friends who are often with him on his adventures. They

include Captain Haddock the grumpy sailor, Professor Cusburt Calculous a

genius scientist but at the same time a rather stupid person, and Thompson and Thomson the clumsy detective twins.

Captain Haddock is a rather bad tempered seaman, most likely because he

drinks too much whiskey. He often uses exclamations like "Blistering

Barnacles!" or "Thundering Typhoons!" or if he was really outraged or amazed

he would say "Billions of blistering blue barnacles!" or "Ten thousand

thundering typhoons!"

Professor Calculous is an amazing inventor. He's invented some amazing

things for example a "shark-proof submarine", a drug which makes alcoholic

drinks taste disgusting to cure alcoholic addicted people and a rocket ship to travel to the moon. But he's also rather stupid because he's deaf and always

miss hears what people say. He also ignores non-verbal communication and

pretends that he doesn't understand how angry Captain Haddock is which really drives him mad.

Thompson and Thomson or "the Thompson's" as they're usually called are both

rather stupid detectives and often have clumsy accidents. One of the

Thompson's is often saying "to be precise" correcting the other Thompson and

since they're identical twins and always wear the same clothing you've no idea which Thompson it is. They think they're the worlds best detectives but Tintin always proves to be a much better detective then they'll ever be.

So the the Tintin saga is more than just great adventure and detective stories for children but also a combination of rather humorous characters which will delight audiences of all ages.

Hergé is a genius

Author: keels84 from Rural South East Queensland, AUS
11 January 2003

I have loved the Tintin comic book series since a very young age and I still collect the books to this day, so naturally a loved this cartoon. But I was too young to really remember it. Anyway, the Tintin saga it truly an adventure to remember. The history is enough to see that this childrens cartoon is alot more, for anyone of any age. I'm just hoping the movie rumours are true, I'm sure it will be a worldwide phenomenon.

Another great animated TV show

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
23 May 2008

This animated TV is the adaptation of the famous Hergé's comic books. Generally, it makes a good adaptation. Some episodes do better than others, but the adaptation is reasonable. Even so, the books are clearly better and more complete. In the animated TV series, they usually miss lots of parts that should be included.

I own some of these comic books. I used to watch this TV series as much as I used to read the books I have back then, but I always liked the books better. Anyway, about the TV series, I used to watch it both spoken in french and dubbed in Italian (on Rai Uno, in the case of the Italian dubbed version). Of course that I prefer the french version for the simple fact of being the original version.

The stories of Tintin are (the majority of them, apart one or another) quite entertaining, thrilling, great fun, simple and delightful. They are, without a doubt, good adventures with classic humor. It should satisfy most everyone: children, teenagers and adults.

The characters are interesting: Tintin is a cool and intelligent chap; his dog Milou is really cute and fluffy; Captain Haddock is grumpy, sarcastic and humorous; Professor Tournesol is the eternal distracted who doesn't listen and understand a word of what the others are saying and, as such, always understands everything very badly. There are also the two police detective twins (Dupond and Dupont), who are absolutely stupid, silly and hilarious.

The song that plays during the opening credits and the final credits is great.

A flawless adaptation of the comic books

Author: filmismagic from New Zealand
15 May 2009

I used to love watching this when I was young. I noticed that with some children/family shows, I hated them when I view them now because I sometimes see them as rip-offs or a way of making kids dumb (some of the playhouse Disney shows for example, and even some of the Asterix films). However, in this case, watching it again after a long time made me like it even more.

Tintin and the Lake of Sharks was a total screw-up!!! An absolute disgrace to the comics. The voices (Captain Haddock sounding like Popeye), the ridiculous music (especially when there is one part when the two kids sing an annoying song, making it a musical), the cheap animation and a number of Tintin-related factual errors like Calculus hearing badly and hearing well most of the time, the inaccurate characters ...all of it made it horrible a movie. The series has none of these flaws.

The visuals remain true to Herge's fantastic drawing style and the animation fits really well with it. The music in the series is perfect for Tintin. The humour remains the same(just as good), with a couple of clever add-ons for the Thompsons. The characters remain the same as in the comic books. The voice-cast is perfect and the voice-acting by everybody makes the characters portrayed exactly like they were in the books. The Thompsons are really hilarious and their voices were a joy to listen to, making the two detectives in the comics really come to life. My congrats to them, the voices of Tintin and Captain Haddock and the rest of the cast.

The stories remain true to the books even though any fans of the books will easily spot a few differences. I am pleased to say that they actually fit really well with the episodes, because picturing some of the edited parts being identical to these parts in the book instead of being altered, just wouldn't work. And hearing me say that the stories are reasonably true to the books clearly means that they are fantastic, matching the clever imaginations and twists that Herge came up with in his books.

A flawless adaptation is perhaps the best way to describe the series. Forget about that movie which rips off the books. If you want an enjoyable, loyal series, then pick this one as soon as you can.

Best Adventure cartoon ever.

Author: emasterslake from United States
5 October 2007

Based off of the long running comic book series. Tintin is about a young Belgium reporter and his dog Snowy who both travel and experience adventure together around the world. Tintin is kind hearted & friendly. He feels that it's an act of good to help out in other people's business. Sometimes it's a good thing to get yourself involve even if it'll endanger your life. Throughout the series, Tintin will eventually encounter new reliable friends, as well as making new enemies along the way. Life is an adventure when your with Tintin.

Very few adventure/mystery series are comparable to Tintin. The brilliant idea about Tintin himself is that his background is unknown. His name is neither his surname or first name. And his childhood was never mentioned. Making his character so interesting, where you only know him as a friendly Belgium reporter. I never knew the comics existed. But when this cartoon was still new, I was very fascinated by the stories and characters. I never knew much of it's history till years later.

I do know that this cartoon was made years after the creator Herge past away. And it was made because of Herge's disapproval over a non-truthful 5 minute Tintin series made several years ago. However, "Adventures of Tintin" reflects the original books as it was meant to be. Something Herge would of liked to see.

Became an international success like the books themselves in more than 50 countries. Sadly it's coexisted here in America. But not for long, until the upcoming Tintin Movie comes out to shine it's existence. Those who like action/mystery/comedy related animated series will enjoy this series.

Coming to DVD in 2008.

As brilliant as the Hergé's comic. Amazingly complex adventures + great characters = good kids' TV!

Author: TVSeriesFTW from Crabland
26 July 2006

Unpretentious, exciting and fun, "The Adventures of Tintin" was great viewing despite the blandness of the title role. Being the only dull character in the team, Tintin and his smart dog Milou were a great contrast to the insane people that surrounded them: the foul-mouthed sea captain with a great vocabulary, Captain Haddock, the somewhat confused but brilliant Professor Calculus, and the always-ready French detectives Dupond and Dupondt.

Throughout his adventures Tintin visited the moon, fought giant spiders, stopped wars, investigated meteorites and huge mushrooms, and unraveled mystery after mystery. And it never got boring, not once! Absolutely amazing show that can be watched again, and whose plot won't insult the intelligence of adults, either!

Adventure

Author: rh86 from United Kingdom
26 January 2007

Probably the best screen adaption of Belgium's most famous reporter, Adventures of Tintin stays faithful to the spirit and stories of original comics. The stories themselves make for brilliant adventures whether it's finding buried treasure, going to the Moon or venturing to a far off land.

The animation is also of very good quality and considering that it was made on a TV budget back in 1991 is actually quite ahead of it's time, for example 'Explorers on the Moon' has one of the earliest of 3D cartoon animation. These shows will appeal to all ages and everyone is bound to have a favourite out of the various crazy characters, whether it's old sea dog Captain Haddock, the brilliant but hard of hearing Professor Calculus or even Tintin himself (not forgetting Snowy).

a grand show

Author: atomius from australia
7 July 2007

let's forget the comics for a minute, because the story is practically the same. This show features the young reporter turned adventurer tintin and his dog snowy, with the other comic stars Captain Haddock, Prof. Calculus etc. in an animated version of the comics. The animation itself is nice, not elaborating or becoming too modern, and keeping the essentials of the comics in place. The plots, for those who haven't read the comics, involve all manner of events from coin forgery to stolen jewels, and the adventure is as entertaining now as it was when published. The opening credits with the scenes involving the train and instances from various episodes, with the dangerous and anticipatory feel of the music is very nice. All in all a good cartoon.

Not only great for kids

Author: Glenn Mertens from Belgium
16 January 2005

This great cartoon series, which are not only animation for kids, follows the reporter Tintin in a lot of countries all over the world. Also the accents of the voices are very nice done. People speak English, but you can hear from which country they originally come from.

Another thing, this is not a French/Canadian production!!! This is a Belgian production, in Belgium people speak Dutch or French. So if a series is in the French language, this means not automatically that it comes from France or Canada!

Tintin is real hero, but one with brains. And his good friend Haddock is so aggressive, but in a funny way. Then you have the good hearing professor...