IMDb > Fortress 2 (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Not an utter disaster

Author: Jonathan Horner from Stockton-on-Tees, England
2 March 2001

I wouldn't say Fortress 2 was an utter disaster like many of you have pointed out.

I'm a big fan of the first Fortress movie, and recently while in my local Blockbuster store I spotted Fortress 2 sitting on the selves. So me being a massive Christopher Lambert & Fortress fan I jumped at the chance of renting it.

I don't like the idea of the new Fortress being located in space it doesn't work out right in the long run. Fortress 2 is pretty much the same. The intestinators from the first movie have been replaced by a sort of camera which is implanted into your brain there's the usual evil prison director controlling the Fortress and ZED the talking computer is back. Brennicks wife, Karen, is also back, but replaced with a different actor.

To cut a long story short. The Fortress has now been turned into a giant power station which is floating around in space and is owned by the Mentel co-oporation. Inmates are kept there to keep it in working order and to build new structures for the Fortress. John Brennick (Christopher Lambert) gets caught (again) and is thrown back into the Fortress. He then sets out struggling to find a way out.

Like most sequels Lambert has starred in. I feel that Fortress 2 was rushed, there's giant gaps in the movie which could of been filled in with maybe some clever dialogue or interesting scenes.

Overall, being a massive Lambert fan even I must agree that this movie is below average.

Follow-up in similar style full of action , violence and technological elements

Author: ma-cortes
21 February 2011

This is a Prison movie with high-tech science fiction ,following to ¨The fortress¨directed by Stuart Gordon in which Lambert is imprisoned because another son was born and in the future it's prohibited . In a futuristic USA, it's forbidden to give birth to more than one child for each woman. John (Christopher Lambert)is a rebel whom the resistance asking for help , but he escapes to avoid the authorities in USA, which is exactly what he and his wife Karen Brennick (Beth Toussiant replacing Loryn Locklyn) were trying to do when with her second son (their first child was born dead) escape. Although the motion picture is supposed to take place 7 years after the former one (after John's son was born) yet, in this film, his son is 10 years old. When they think they have made it , he is discovered and put to prison . With those odds, John still plans to getaway . Prison's chief ( Patrick Malahide , replacing Kurtwood Smith) located in a space station is a villain who punishes to inmates with tortures and using cruel technological security measures. The modern prison called the "Fortress" where the prisoners are controlled by lasers, neutron-cannons, cameras, mind-scanners and electronic pain-causing devices in their stomachs .Christopher Lambert along with other prisoners (Liz May Brice, Nick Brimble, John Sharian) will face off the director (Patrick Malahide)and his wardens (Okumoto).

The picture blends thrills, suspense ,violence,drama,action,struggles and some nudism . Special appearance of the Blaxploitiation goddess , Pan Grier. The final confrontation between the starring and baddies is stimulating and get some exciting surprises.Runtime film is adequate ,it is fast moving and is neither boring, nor tiring but bemusing. Atmospheric cinematography and adequate score fitting to action by Christopher Franke .The motion picture obtained little success and failed at Box office . This second part bears a similar argument to previous entry but isn't as nice as the first . The picture is regularly directed by Geoff Murphy who also realized the second installement to ¨Young guns¨ with more success than this one . The film will appeal to Science fiction buffs and Christopher Lambert fans . Rating 5/10 ,average .

Everything you could want and more in a Lambert movie sequel.

Author: The-Evil-Dead from Omaha, Nebraska
26 April 2005

Well, lets be honest here, the first Fortress movie was nothing too special even though it was directed by Stuart Gordon and featured some excellent cheese filled moments. You may think that the craptacular enjoyment provided by the first movie would translate over to the lower budgeted, even more b sequel.

Sadly I was totally wrong with this assumption.

Things just happen in this movie... There's really no effort by the script or director to give us any characterization. We're stuck with " Brennick is in prison, now he must bust out " as soon as the movie starts.

There's plot holes galore, stupid scenes, and some terrible special FX.

Lambert must have been really hungry for the fifty or so grand he was paid to do this train wreck.

I'm a fan of cheeseball, low budget films... But they have to at least be entertaining in some form or another to be enjoyable to me. There are a few moments like that found in this film, but unless you want to see how NOT to make a movie, don't bother with this one.

1 out of 5.

A Worthy Sequel, positive review. Minor SPOILERS.

Author: themorfs from Sydney, Australia
3 March 2000

Being a big fan of the first movie, I was a little nervous as to the quality of a sequel. But today at 10.30am I was pleasantly surprised. The movie picks up 10 years after the ending of the first one. Brennicks child is now 10 years old. The child, Brennick, and his wife have been on the run from the Mental Corporation all that time. Without spoiling the movie - Brennick is captured and sent to a new fortress, one that orbits the earth.

Lambert is back as Brennick and is in good form. The only other recognizable cast member is Pam Grier, basically an extended cameo. The special effects are above average for a movie with a reported budget of only 10 million. The space fortress is very convincing, as are the docking shuttles. The film looks like it cost twice as much. The anti-gravity movement outside the fortess is very realistic looking. The story itself is quite clever, a few cliches, but hey this isn't oscar material. There are several terrific action sequences, and the ending is satisfying. To be honest this is quite a gem of a movie, it had no advertising, small budget, and basically appeared out of nowhere. I found the movie to be equally enjoyable as the original. 7/10.

A good sequel to Fortress.

Author: Rautus from United Kingdom
14 March 2007

Fortress 2: Re-Entry is actually a good sequel, it's nice to see Chirstopher Lambert playing as John Brennick again. The violence from the first film isn't in this one as much but it's still there in parts.

The idea of having a Fortress in space than underground was clever and adds something new. The prison director isn't as sinister as Poe in the first film but he is good.

The special effects were OK and the prison looked good. Another interesting thing was instead of having a device that causes pain in the body we have a camera that allows the prison director to monitor them and stop them from escaping.

But for John and a few other prisoners they can out smart this device and use a way to escape.

Fortress 2 is a good sequel and sci-fi movie.

Not as good as the original...

Author: bazthegreat from Glasgow, Scotland
5 March 2000

I had no idea that a sequel was even being made to the 1993 movie until a few days ago. I arrived at the cinema complex where I work and was totally shocked to discover that a Fortress 2 had been released! The film was officially released in Australia on 2. March, 2000, but I'm afraid it hasn't been too popular...

We're only screening it in one small cinema and, so far, we've probably had about 200 patrons in four days (and that's being generous). Considering the fact that our largest cinema seats 500 for one session, this is not good popularity odds.

It was released suddenly, without advertisements or even posters. You could tell from the start that this was going to be an unfortunate, B-grade sequel to the enjoyable, well planned original.

Still, I thought I'd give it a go. I loved the first film and Christopher Lambert had returned to reprise his role, so I thought why not?

Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. The script was very lame, with characters suddenly having the "convenient" skills to make an escape possible at just the right time. Not much planning went into set design. There were very little of the fancy, modern gadgets of the first movie, and you can tell they were cutting costs. Much of the film was computer generated to cover the missing pieces. As for the plot - it was far too unbelievable and, dare I say it, actually quite boring.

This time, the prison is in outer space (!), and instead of those little metal tracking devices used in the first Fortress, prisoners are given a "behaviour modifier" than is implanted in their brain. These ones definitely can't be removed.

It is a rehash of the first. Christopher makes some friends inside, and then they help him to escape. None of the characters other than Chris are very likeable, and I found myself not really caring if they survived or not. Chris seemed to just cruise through the film without much effort - what more could he do?

Depends what you expect

Author: phovusle from Switzerland
26 November 2013

It's direct to video, which is a sub-genre on its own. And (at least I do so) this genre needs to be seen on it's own. If you compare Fortress II with the first one ... its of course cheaper. Claner, but cheaper. And the original was a trash-movie to begin with.

But I really had no problem with that. Within its options it was well made, and I liked the setting and idea.

If you go in, knowing that this was never supposed to be a "passion"-projecct from a filmmaker, then I really cant point out that much stuff which could upset you.

Maybe hardcore fans from the first movie. But then again: It's not like that part 2 totally destroys the original.

I liked it, for what it is.

A well made sequel

Author: varghesejunior from India
22 November 2012

Fortres 2 is Scifi thriller like its Prequel Fortress.

It is a very contemporary film, and a good sequel.

The story continues with John Brennick, who 10 yrs later is still hiding from the Mentel corporation (whose prison 'fortress' he had destroyed 10 yrs ago during his escape from there), living in North America with his wife and son, gets apprehended again by Mentel and is sentenced to death in 'fortress 2' which is a space based prison . But the positive minded and brave John sets about to find a way of of Fortress 2 too and save his family on earth.

Storyline great, music is good, stunts are cool.

Bad thing is some very explicit nudity, but only that.

Like The prequel ,this is also watchable

Corny but fun **SPOILERS**

Author: Forever Damned from Manchester, England
21 June 2002

Not a patch on Fortress but in its own way still kind of fun.

Lambert replays his role as Brennick faithfully but the ridiculous plot lines do tend to get in the way.

**Spoilers**

Tapping into a Bug's nervous system by a TV repair man ?

Stereotypical Russians right down to the Rocky contender lookalike

What is the point of Pam Grier ? She serves no useful purpose as the President of MENTEL and after being flattened on the escape ship...what then ?

Unfortunately, an opportunity wasted but it's worth watching once as it's a fairly fun 90 minutes.

Not a bad action flick, but nothing like the first film.

Author: (michael_cowling) from Gold Coast, Australia
4 July 2000

The moment my girlfriend and I finished watching this film, we said together, almost in unison "Not as good as the first one"..

The first Fortress film was original.. The whole movie centered around Chris Lambert's character trying his best to escape from the prison complex. Added to that was the twist of his wife and unborn child becoming a conquest for the main villain to master. In the first film, the other characters were interesting, each with his own personality and reason to be on Chris Lambert's "Team".

In contrast, Fortress 2 seems to plod along. The character seems to muck around within the prison for a long while before we see any movement towards escape. When he finally does escape (and if you consider knowing that he DOES escape is a spoiler, then you are naive, since it is obvious that the end product of the movie will be the character escaping) it all seems so easy and not really that difficult to do at all (unlike the first film, where a lot of movie time was spent planning the escape). He pulls of amazing computer-related feats as well as succeeding in kicking as many butts as possible, all within about 20 minutes.

The other characters in this film are kind of cardboard and one-dimensional. You never get to know the support characters in the film the way you did in the first one and therefore you don't really care whether they live or die. At one point in the film, a character removes his face mask and Chris Lambert's character recognises him. However, both my girlfriend and I were not quite so quick, and spend about 5 minutes trying to work out who the character was and why Chris Lambert's character felt so betrayed by him. This definetly demonstrates that the characters are not very memorable. I am not sure whether this is due to the fact that Chris Lambert wanted a bigger role in this film or whether it is due to bad script writing, but it is there never the less.

However, having said all of that, the film isn't a total loss. If you put your brain on hold for a couple of hours and just enjoy the action and suspense of it all (without trying to compare it to the first film), then you will probably come away thinking that it was an average bit of action film making with a very strong lead character (Chris Lambert).

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]