IMDb > Ringu (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ringu

Ringu More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 41: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The Ring or Ringu??? (possible spoilers)

Author: toxicwaste from Belgium
11 March 2003

I saw both movies, and I enjoyed them equally. Normally I prefer the original one when a Hollywood remake is made (like "Abre los ojos" vs "Vanilla sky"), but this time I found them about equally good. The cursed video in The Ring was made better and the fly coming out of it was a great addition to the story. Also for once the American version didn't over explain, but explained less. In Ringu however, there's more symbolism and a better way of tension building. Even though the video in the ring was scarier, Ringu was more frightening. The atmosphere of the movie was just better than in The Ring. And the curse was better. In The Ring copying was enough, here you have to show it to someone else, you have to curse someone yourself. And even though Ringu explains more, it leaves more questions(psychological, not questions about the plot). It gives you a strange feeling, it stays with you longer than The Ring.

So in conclusion they both have their ups and downs, I gave them both an 8/10. If the ups of both movies were combined into 1 movie, it would have been a 9/10

Eerie, but why so strictly rated?

Author: wanatd from Concord, CA
10 March 2003

This movie was rather eerie, and it kept me waiting for something to jump out. The fact that it did not behave in such a way did not change the fact that it was making me nervous watching it. However I was wondering just why the countries around the world gave it such a severe rating. I mean, I think by American standards, the movie would have been acceptable for 13-year-old youths.

disturbing, freaky, terrifying,

Author: godzilla-action-figure from London, England
9 March 2003

i originally saw a trailer for this movie on "battle royale" i was immedialty taken back by it, it seemed very unique to other horror films, this i must see.

i watched the film on tv late at night, the movei is ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFYING, im not scred by horror movies but this one is TRUELY different, exorcist was nothing to me, blair witch was a joke, the the ring was something in a different league....

ring doesnt follow the same path as other low budget horror films, it creates such a horrific image it could make you acutally behave differently about house hold objects.........i didnt watch tv for 3 days, incase " the tape" could turn on. SERIOUSLY THE MOVIE IS TRUELY TERRIFYING!!

I bought it today on dvd.....im am sooo scared to watch it as it may bring back the memories !! its just sittin next to my other dvds.

Simple, subtle, brilliant.

Author: CripleOrange from Holland
9 March 2003

I've seen FRIDAY THE 13TH, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and SCREAM and highly enjoyed them, but none of them were as truly frightening as RINGU, wich is in my opinion one of the best horror movies ever. Those who have seen the remake (wich is IMO not scary whatsoever, sometimes plain laughable, often annoying) may be dissapointed and like the remake better for these reasons:

The remake's pace is quicker. The remake is American. The remake has better special effects.

I don't think any of these is a reason to like the American version better. First of all, a slow pace is one of the best ways to create suspense and a creepy atmosphere. Of course it's important to make the movie go slow, whitout making it boring. Ringu succeeds in this perfectly and made me be scared all the time. The fact that the remake is American and this one is Japanese has nothing to do with the quality. Some might be annoyed by the subtitles, but I'm used to reading them and I had no problem with the language. Then, the remake has better special effects... You can argue about that. I don't agree with it. I think the original has better special effects because it has no special effects. In The Ring, you get to see a (laughable) monster face that belongs in an Excorcist parody. In Ringu, the only thing you get to see of Sadako's face is her eye. Now to me, that's ten times as scary as ten thousand of these freaky monsters. Of course if your mainstream audience, you'll probably enjoy The Ring more. But true horrorfans will love Ringu more. I loved it. (10/10)

Its as good as most say it is, but not the greatest.

Author: theshape79 from Kansas
8 March 2003

Contains Spoiler I have to say I don't see why more people don't like this movie. All these posts saying that the film bored them to sleep, or that it wasn't really scary at all perplex the hell out of me. Ringu in my opinion was one of the most intense horror films I had seen for a long time, all thanks to a director who deserves more attention than some that are currently recieving it. What makes Ringu so intense is the combination of dark images, with one of the creepiest soundtracks in recent memory. Sure everyone can agree that the image of Sadako emerging from the television is scary, but with the inclusion of a sound like nails on a chalkboard to me everything was intensified. This is what the remake failed to understand for the most part( although this version does overdo it a bit with the creepy music, scary image shock. Sadako emerging from TV good, Reiko's picture distortion a little too much) opting for beautiful haunting images, and a good score from Hans Zimmer. Another plus is the thought of what is seen offscreen. For example when Reiko sees the Man with the Shrouded head reflected at the end of the film, or the image of Sadako in the television after the tape is first viewed, these are moments that work better than just a blur on a screen that the remake presents to the viewer. Another thing that amazes me about Ringu is that the story never loses control of itself like the remake does. Scenes like Ryuji's psychic visions, or the contents of the tape itself seem perfectly logical to the narrative. This can't really be said of the overly long video tape, the weird horse death scene, or Brian Cox's suicide in the remake. Oh and by the way the kid is less annoying in this film. The filmmakers here didn't saddle an eight year old with deep philosophical quotes that sound as corny as Maize. That just brings back to many painful Episode One memories (Are you an angel?) All is not well though. Even though it was perfectly logical the Ryuji tough guy act and Reiko scaredy cat act got on my nerves. Sure it fits with the characters and their professions, but I like the remakes use of the two characters better. Also better was the setup for the ending, which just sort of happens in this one. In the remake I liked the false pretense (Even though I already new what was to come) that Noah and Rachel were going to get back together and be a happy family with Aiden. And that moment (where it should have ended) where Rachel turns the chair around, priceless. Also disturbing was the fact that Reiko chooses to show the tape to her father to save Yoichi. Knowing who she going to show the tape to sounds mean since its her own father, even if it does set up the sequel in Ringu 2. Still a great flick, worth watching if you don't get annoyed when people in different countries actually speak in their native languages. I've heard too many complaints from people who didn't want to see it because its a foreign film.

Fascinating and truely scary

Author: Lexx (9815718@altoncollege.ac.uk) from Hampshire, UK
7 March 2003

Having been a fan of horror movies for many years (i'm only 17 but have been watching horror movies since i was 10)I had never found a film that truely scared me, until this one. Subtle with building suspense throught until a terrifying climax..........I only hope those damn americans haven't completly ruined one of my most favourite films!

One of the best horror films; Japan's answer to Psycho

Author: (Redrum639) from Michigan
7 March 2003

This was not only one of the most tense movies I've ever seen, but the roller coaster ride to the end is so mind bending that it leaves you dreading ever to watch an unmarked tape again. The story follows a young reporter who is investigating an urban legend about a video that kills whoever watches it one week after viewing. When the tape is believed to have killed a relative and her friends the reporter goes in search of the tape itself and the story behind it. After finding the tape and watching it, she realizes that she only has one week to find the story behind it before she dies. The film is very well acted and the newly released DVD has a very clear picture; A lot better than the picture I've heard described on various websites. This movie is definitely worth watching because it is different than the American re-make. The story doesn't take as long to tell and there are several key differences that separate this movie from the American version and make it better. I don't know how this movie could receive a vote of any less than 7 from anyone who watches it. There is one last thing I would like to say... Although this movie is classified as horror, there isn't an abundance of blood and gore; It is more of a suspense/thriller/mystery than it is horror. It is definitely a must see. 10/10

Well, what do you know? The original DID make it here after all!

Author: Craig Carrington from San Francisco, CA
5 March 2003

After getting lots of flak about the Hollywoodized version of THE RING that audiences saw, Dreamworks makes amends by releasing the original RINGU with subtitles.

I didn't even think I had a choice until I went to my local video store and the clerk pointed out that they had *both* versions. Delighted, I immediately picked the original (I haven't seen the American version yet) because... well, hey, I wanted the real thing. I don't like it when Hollywood remakes perfectly good movies "for me" to supposedly "devour" better: I want to see it in its pure and unbastardized form.

I liked watching RINGU and found it quietly unsettling. I have the feeling that this is the sort of movie that is going to eventually work its way under my skin within the next few days because it's taking me a while to sort out emotionally what I experienced after watching it.

The only difficulty I had watching it has nothing to do with the movie, which is really well done; it only had something to do with me. I suppose it's because I'm an artist and I've always thought oriental decorations and style beautiful, but I have had the opportunity to watch so few live-action Japanese movies that when I do, I tend to be so enchanted by all the things that are common to oriental culture but otherwise seem pretty and unique to my western eyes... things like paper doors, Japanese writing, lanterns, cushions on the floor and the like... that I keep going "Wow, that looks so cool" to the point of getting somewhat distracted from the main story at hand. That was the case here, as I loved the way this movie was filmed and was so busy enjoying all the decorations and such of everyday modern Japanese life that I kept smiling with the feeling of a happily travelling tourist. I had to keep mentally slapping myself to remember that I was watching a spooky story. ;) But that certainly isn't the film's fault.

And so it is, and a very uniquely oriental one at that. The way the images and tale are handled, it's not just creepy. It's also sad, angry, hurt and hreatbreaking as well. I found one particular scene involving our heroine (please forgive me, I just can't remember the proper spelling of her name at the moment) deep in a well to be both unsettling and incredibly touching and compassionate at the same time, the sort of thing you just don't normally see coming from Hollywood these days.

I wouldn't really call this a "horror" movie, I'd use the term "psychological puzzle thriller". I'm not sure if I would watch it again since the surprise has been spoiled... but then again, I just might. After all, I got the pants scared off me by THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and now I love rewatching it because I loved "playing games" mentally with its content. So that just might be the case here, too.

I don't know if I want to watch the US version, I'm afraid it might spoil it for me. If I do, I'll comment on it. But for now, I just want to bask in this special little accomplishment.

Great Japanese Horror ...See this film!

Author: Ronrego from New York City, US of A
3 March 2003

Arguably the greatest horror movie to come out of Japan in the last 5 years, the ring is spooky, dark and thrilling.

This is much better than the toned down American remake of the same name.

I hope to see the sequels that are out soon. I wholeheartedly recommend this great little film.

10/10 stars

Scarred the c*ap outta me

Author: Blythe (a_better_name_is_surely_needed@yahoo.co.uk)
3 March 2003

this film was unbelievably brilliant. i was so so very terrified the first time i watched it i had to turn it off half way through. i managed to get through the whole film eventually and i was totally blown away, everything about the film was perfect, without a doubt the scariest film i've ever seen. sadly i was unfortunate enough to see the dire remake, and that made realise more just how brilliant this film really is. the plot is brilliant and perfectly done throughout. theres this tape and seven days after you watch it you die. well fair enough its as simple as that, people watch the tape people die more people watch the tape they try and figure out whats really going on and try learn how to stop it a simple enough plot played out perfectly. i can't sing praises high enough for the greatness that this film reaches, i highly recommend it to everyone everywhere you will absolutely cack yourself!!!!!