IMDb > Ring (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ring More at IMDbPro »Ringu (original title)

Page 9 of 41: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The real deal.

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
4 April 2003

The American version of THE RING was not that bad in my opinion. I was told by many a people that the Japanese original was far better. So, yeah I had to see it.

Recently, I discovered one of the cheapest ways to rent a film ever (and this was good because I see a lot of movies). Since you don't have to pay to rent movies at the library, just go there are borrow them. That thought had never occured to me before. So, there I get to rent movies that I have always wanted to see, but have never wanted to pay money to see. RINGU was one of those films. (EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and ELIZABETH were the other two).

So, about RINGU...

I found the beginning of the film to be much, much, much better than the American version of THE RING. It was actually very scary because you can always count on the Japanese to throw in an entire symphony of music right when there is a shocking image on screen in an attempt to scare the s*** out of you. It worked on me several times over.

The middle half of the film was not as good. I thought the middle was extremely boring and it began to stray very much from the American version of THE RING. Sorry, I loved the first half of this film, and I feel that the beginning is much better, but the second half made me want to shut it off. But, then again, the ending does get better. The scenes where they are watching the videotape was classic and the opening sequence is a little better than the opening in THE RING.

Overall, a very good film, but you should also see THE RING. You will also have to bear with the subtitles. But hey, at least it wasn't dubbed.

RINGU: 4/5.

Worth seeing, even if you've seen The Ring.

Author: Randall Grossman from Elma, NY
3 April 2003

I saw Ringu on DVD after seeing the U.S. remake (The Ring, with Naomi Watts in the lead role) in the theater. The two films are virtually identical in plot for the first 30 minutes, but they diverge after that. Ringu gives us more insight into the mysterious girl in the video and her mother than does The Ring, which deliberately leaves more in the shadow and leaves it up to us to draw conclusions. Both approaches work well.

Naomi Watts' role as the reporter/mother in The Ring is stronger than that of Nanako Matsushima in Ringu. Whereas Watts' character is the central investigator in The Ring, it is Reiko Asakawa's ex-husband, Ryuji Takayama who takes the lead in Ringu. Indeed, Ryuji seems to have a special insight into the curse from the point where he first learns of it from his ex-wife. He knows more than he lets on, and it is he, not her, who drives the investigation.

Overall, I enjoyed Ringu a great deal. It is a first rate horror film, using the unknown and unseen to play on the viewers' minds and build suspense. I believe that the U.S. remake does justice to the original, and would recommend it for those who do not like subtitled films, but encourage you to see both. I give Ringu 8/10; I rated The Ring 9/10.

Was better than "The Ring".

Author: Aaron1375
1 April 2003

Everyone kept telling me how the original Japanese version of the Ring was better than our version so I tracked it down and finally found a copy of the Japanese version. For the most part I agree that it is quite a bit, better than our version. The story is basically the same as it revolves around a videocassette that kills anyone who watches it within a week. Though in this version, the images on the tape seem to fit the circumstances better, and more is explained in this one as well...though not all of it, there are still things that are unanswered. The atmosphere and mood of the movie are better than ours too, as the Japanese do not have constant music throughout, so there music cues make you a bit more edgy. The story of the girl's parents in this one is better too, and there is this thing with ESP that is simply ignored in our version. Here the father has ESP and that helps explain why the boy seems to have some sort of visions. The cast does well in this one as I think the father in this one is better than the American version. Though I did like the way the Ring looked in the American version more, and the scene where the boy told his mom that he shouldn't have helped the girl. This one ends basically looking like it has a sequel in mind, and considering there is a sequel I would have to say I am right. I hope it comes out too, as I would love to see it or any other Japanese horror, cause it seems they do a good job with horror.

Author: Lee Bartholomew ( from Cedar Falls, IA
31 March 2003

this movie is deceptive. Utterly deceptive. You watch the entire movie and think, hey it wasn't that scary, but then you turn the light off. Whoops. That woman coming out of the tv screen keeps popping back at you.

I must say I wasn't overly impressed until the last half hour. Thats when I figured out it's little game. By then it was too late. I was ensnared and couldn't find a way out.

The remake of this movie though is to be avoided. Or at least watch this movie first. This movie doesn't contain alot of cgi fakery, so it's alot more to look at. I like computers, but todays CGI fakery is still so so. Makeup still beats cgi hands down.

I don't like the fact though that the dvd doesn't contain the trailer for this movie. It contains The Ring trailer. And with The Ring dvd vice versa. Basically either way, Dreamworks comes out winning.

Quality: 10/10 Entertainment: 10/10 Replayable: 4/10

Superb japanese terror

Author: pifas from Guadalajara, Jalisco. México
26 March 2003

I have seen both versions of Ringu (Japan-US), and I stay with the original; The ring sucks despite all it's money, tricks and visuals wasted in it. Anyway, Ringu it's such an awesome way to get you scared and, as I suppose everyone knows by now the main plot of this movie, I'll keep my comments short.

The scares here it's not about gory scenes or dead people in a lot of make-up. What Ringu means the most it's psychofear. In terms of story development, it may seem slow -because it is- but this, instead of being boring, it does Ringu more and more captivating; this movie sucks you in it's premise deeper and deeper as time runs. I really liked the killer video, I liked the way they tell the story, I liked the story, and the directing, the acting, and the ending (it's explanation is way better here than in the US remake).

I think the most important thing shown here is that you don´t need big budget to create a great movie. It´s clearly that they, instead of underestimating the power of the mind, made it an advantage because of it's capability to create images 100 per cent more horrifying than any scene they have or could may show. That´s what Guillermo del Toro does and Carlos Enrique Taboada did some years ago (both mexicans directors, and both great!). They use YOUR mind for their own benefit at the moment of get you scared and, based in the results, you sure can't fight against that; this si exactly what Ringu does (besides a few very good visual moments). If you like this kind of cinema, be sure to get a copy of this japanese masterwork of terror. And to watch it, turn off all the lights and turn up the volume. This enhances a lot the experience.

Author: ReservoirDog69 from Fairfield, CA.
15 March 2003

While not nearly as frightening as many people have claimed, it still is one of the scariest films out there. I mean, honestly, horror films don't exactly scare me to death like it does for some hyper-sensitive people who watch films. Now that's not a slight on the genre, however. I love horror cinema. I feel critics need to be more open and appreciative for the creative aspects of many horror films out there. They see a couple awful horror films (mainly in the U.S., unfortunately)and shut themselves out for others out there that deserve to be seen and given respect. They're really missing out, especially when it comes to Japanese Horror. And Ringu IS the primary example of how wonderfully dazzling the horror genre can be. Warning!!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!! The idea of the vengeful spirit (Sadako) putting out a curse on society for living the life she couldn't live was brilliantly conceived by director Nakata with a hypnotic use of sound and creepy atmosphere in the air. Some complain that since it is not as scary as the hype made it out, it is not a good film. That's just not fair judgment. It was well shot, well composed, well acted, well made, and had a genuinely intriguing premise. It has high aspirations as a work of class art. It wasn't as fast paced as other films within the genre, but I welcomed that. It was slowly building up to a truly shocking climax. Some guy mentioned here that he saw the ending a mile away, yeah sure. Ok, maybe he did guess that Reiko was saved from the curse because she made a copy of the video and had her ex watch it...but there's no way he expected her to end up planning to have her DAD watch the tape to save Yoichi. I don't care what anyone says, that was unexpected. But it was a fitting end. It just takes the idea of the chain-letter to the extreme. END OF SPOILERS!!! In conclusion, not all horror films are junk meant to give some cheap thrills. Many are actually quality pieces of filmmaking that can provide the audience with an ample dose of entertainment, thrills, and intriguing tales. Ringu is a must see for anybody remotely interested in horror films and just films, for that matter. It is a classic so get the Region 1 DVD for those who can make use of it(Besides, it's better than the U.S. remake for those wondering, although that one was solid in its own right.) It is worth noting that I feel Ringu 2 was a disappointment, although competently made. But Ringu 0: Birthday, is a GREAT prequel and another GREAT movie from Japan, while not really a horror movie.

Author: HarlequinAngel from United States
14 March 2003

While it's American counterpart has a lot going for it, there is something more when you watch Ringu. The Ring spends more of it's time focusing on cheap on second thrills throughout the film whereas Ringu builds up more which untimately leads to a better scarefest at the climax. The acting is very well done, even by those with minor roles. The actress who plays Sadako did tremendously well with her physical movements. The plot seemed more air-tight than the american version, the conclusion was more satisfying. Overall I give it a 9/10. Excellent movie.

pretty good... saw it after the american version

Author: wheellnhn from New Jersey
12 March 2003

I wanted to see the Japanese version, so I rented it. I thought it was good... made me jump at parts. They give you a little more detail than "The Ring" did, but "The Ring" was a little more scary. Keeps you interested and a lot of twists. Recommend, that you rent both versions so you can understand a little better or if your just interested.

The Ring or Ringu??? (possible spoilers)

Author: toxicwaste from Belgium
11 March 2003

I saw both movies, and I enjoyed them equally. Normally I prefer the original one when a Hollywood remake is made (like "Abre los ojos" vs "Vanilla sky"), but this time I found them about equally good. The cursed video in The Ring was made better and the fly coming out of it was a great addition to the story. Also for once the American version didn't over explain, but explained less. In Ringu however, there's more symbolism and a better way of tension building. Even though the video in the ring was scarier, Ringu was more frightening. The atmosphere of the movie was just better than in The Ring. And the curse was better. In The Ring copying was enough, here you have to show it to someone else, you have to curse someone yourself. And even though Ringu explains more, it leaves more questions(psychological, not questions about the plot). It gives you a strange feeling, it stays with you longer than The Ring.

So in conclusion they both have their ups and downs, I gave them both an 8/10. If the ups of both movies were combined into 1 movie, it would have been a 9/10

Eerie, but why so strictly rated?

Author: wanatd from Concord, CA
10 March 2003

This movie was rather eerie, and it kept me waiting for something to jump out. The fact that it did not behave in such a way did not change the fact that it was making me nervous watching it. However I was wondering just why the countries around the world gave it such a severe rating. I mean, I think by American standards, the movie would have been acceptable for 13-year-old youths.