IMDb > Ring (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ringu

Ring More at IMDbPro »Ringu (original title)

Page 8 of 40: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

*gulp* mommy...

Author: avatar715 from ireland
13 July 2003

Wow... And I'd lost faith in horror movies. Ring is the most unsettling and frightening film I've ever seen! The dark atmosphere leads tototal mind-numbing apprehension and when the climax hits... all that pent-up nervousness and anxiety burst in a wave of blood-chilling fear. *possible spoilers* The plotline: Reiko is a journalist researching the latest urban myth - a video that kills all who watch it. Without warning the investigation turns much more personal when her niece, Motoko, and her friends die suddenly. No apparent cause of death, except for the fear on their faces. Reiko tracks the video down to a cabin on the Izu peninsula, and watches it. After a series of disturbing incomprehensible images the phone rings... As the clock ticks both Reiko's ex-husband Rijuyi (i think that's how it's spelled) and her young son Yoichi watch the video, and the race is on to find the origins of the tape, and the mysterious girl called Sadako... Brilliant horror. ****** out of *****

Q:I've seen the title of this Japanese film written as Ring,The Ring and even Ringu.What's up with that? A:Becuase the Japanese language has no articles(a/an,the)the decision of whether to include t

Author: Agent-99 from London, England
10 July 2003

Reporter Asakawa Reiko (Matsushima Nanako) is in the midst of investigating the latest urban myth - a videotape that kills all who watch it - when her niece Tomoko (Takeuchi Yuuko) suddenly dies under mysterious circumstances.She discovers not only her niece but three of her friends died on the same day at exactly the same time.

Reiko manages to track the four friends previous activities to the Izu Peninsula,where they stayed overnight in a rental cabin one week before they died and apparently watched the very cursed videotape that she has been investigating.

When Reiko is able to find the videotape curiousity gets the better of her and she watches it to discover a host of inexplicable images that leaves its viewer with a view of a well before it ends (I've heard the DVD of this film has the option of playing this strange clip but has a warning from the producers that they can't be held responsible for the results!), afterwards the phone rings - The Ring - and when Asakawa picks it up she can hear inaudiable sounds being made by someone or something.

Disturbed by the events unfolding Asakawa enlists the help of her ex-husband Takayama Ryuji (Sanada Hiroyuki) to help untangle the deadly riddle of the curse before it's too late.Together, the two discover the identity of a strange woman seen on the video as that of long-dead psychic Yamamura Shizuko.The duo go to Oshima (the birth place of Shizuko) to find clues.

What they discover is the secret of the Yamamura family.That Shizuko had a daughter named Yamamura Sadako who mysteriously vanised thirty years ago.Later on they discover the grim fate of Sadako along with the origins of the video and the vengefull spirit behind it.

The rest of the film details our duo's efforts to stop the impending inevitable doom that is coming...

What is written above is just a synopsis of the film and can't describe the slow burning sense of terror that builds up as the main characters time is runing out(the screen fades to black and the date appears in white letters before each new day starts in the film).

The twist at the end is a real humdingger that can't be described,you just have to see it for yourself.

Walter Parks,one of the producers behind the Dreamworks version of The Ring,watched the Japanese original at 4:00 pm with an associate and were so blown away at what they had seen that by 7:00 pm the rights to remake the film had been secured.

A fair number of the comment's I've read from people who claim to of seen both versions of the film often say the Remake is really great whilst the original is vastly inferior.I take exception to this because even though I have yet to see the Dreamworks version(although I plan to) I don't know how a film that could inspire a producer to spend money to buy the right to remake it on the same day of first watching it be so crap,for the life of me I just can't get my head around that one.

Go Ahead Answer The Phone

Author: tom sawyer (sawyert2003@yahoo.com) from Waterford, Michigan
5 July 2003

Ringu is an excellent horror film. I am usually prejudice when it comes to watching foreign films let alone horror films. They are usually overacted and have a story I cannot figure out. Ringu is different. First of it is by far superior to the American version the Ring. Even with subtitles the story The story and the acting are first rate. Rent this before even thinking about renting the U.S. version The Ring. This is the original. Here I only thought the Japanese could make Godzilla and samuri movies. Boy was I mistaken. This is worth renting. The horror is subtle and yet shocking. This movie will grab you and hold your attention. You will be too afraid to look away and yet almost too afraid to watch. This is damn fine movie making. It's Suspenseful, scary, frightening and then some. Rent it now! You won't be disappointed.

Astonishing- watch it before the remake, if you can!

Author: yoyomagoo
26 June 2003

There is a film in horror movie folklore like no other. On its release, it made little impact possibly due to the fact it was made by a set of unknowns and received little media hype. Within just four years it had gone from relative obscurity to cult superstardom, spawning numerous sequels, numerous Internet fan sites and the ultimate accolade- a Hollywood remake. This is Ringu.

Shot in a dark cityscape, the film is drained of colour both visually and thematically. The characters drift from scene to scene and the direction is also initially stark. There is little love or emotion, with the possible exception of the relationship between the enigmatic child and his journalist mother. But this is intentional. Throughout the film, the audience is told little and the shocks few and far between exist; only appearing in the Scream-esque opening sequence.

What makes this film so different is its sense of foreboding and stillness. The threat increases slowly throughout and the last 15 minutes are truly exceptional. Forget the Hollywood remake, which is effective if flawed- this is the real deal. Ringu, is not perfect, and sometimes is too slow and static for the subject matter, but no matter. This is a film that scares you, not so much while you are watching it, but afterward. It stays with you way after you see it giving many a sleepless night.

Along with The Blair Witch Project- the most astonishing and disturbing horror film of the 90s.

Scariest movie ever

Author: agoraphobicnosebleed from Netherlands
1 May 2003

Ringu scared the hell out of me. I watched it all alone lights out in the middle of the night which I always do when watching a horror movie but not one movie has ever scared the sh*t out of me more than Ringu. Sadako is the scariest moviemonster ever (if you haven't seen Ringu 0 yet), the story is great and the acting's wonderful. If you want a good scare I advise you to watch this one.

Also, the cursed video in the Japanese version is much scarier than the one in the remake version. Watch it.

A haunting psychological-drama, coated in a creepy ambience narrative

Author: gila_film from Medan, Indonesia
9 April 2003

Before my commenting any further, I must notify anybody that wants to watch `Ringu' you must first identify with the Japanese films rhythm. Appealing to the American style, Japanese will look slower on the pace and more reliable on the situation and the atmosphere it builds. So if you already throw away your American style expectation, then you can embrace this film with the good mood. If not, you'll find it boring and annoying (and incoherent crap, silly, or makes no sense!)

Let's not talk about the plot, because it seems nowadays it already is well-known. Many people said it's a horror movie and I agree with them, but basically, it's a pure psychological-drama about a certain terrifying situation, which could happen to anybody (including you!). The plot development is structured and makes it feel good and overwhelming. There's no stutter or gaps that can annoy the film's pulse. The plot itself is simple (and really not trying to make an abundant cliché to scare you much). The eerie situations are not excessive and make it easier to pleasant.

One thing that you must understand here is the film is not trying to scare you in an overacting way or frighten you in a gross blood bath (if that the term of horror movies by you!), but to make you realize that living is full of circle and your life is like a ring. I don't mind if you insist to have some creepy moment from those splatter instead. But what you could get from it anyway?

Now, after you dive on its deep, you will feel satisfied for watching it. Of course it has it own absurdity and holes, but `Ringu' definitely is a well-done alternate product that manages to entertain in a good way. It's highly recommended for the fans of drama or (the true meaning of)horror.

Better than The Ring by far

Author: Crazy_Bee from Tucson, Arizona
6 April 2003

Better directing, better cinematography, better dialogue, no stupid horse part, an Alfred Hitchcock feel, no dumb kid, and a way better ending than the american remake.

Starts out better and ends better. Screw The Ring.

Simpler then the US version, yet chilling.

Author: pksky1 from Northern California
5 April 2003

The original version here lacks many of the extras that one can see in the US version of The Ring. Still, it is a scary and brooding film. It is amazing how much of the US version retains from it. Much of the original story makes much more sense then then the US version and the story is much shorter. As a foreign film, The Ring is a great movie all by itself. There are many excellent outdoor shots at many fascinating locations. I have heard it was shot in Korea, but looks like it might be Japan. The cast is great and the movie is well crafted.

So, which was scarier, this or the US version? I was expecting the US version to be much scarier and so my experience was dulled. Also, I knew the story, so it is hard to say. The US version should have been have been a shorter story as this one is, maybe not as short. There is much that is very scary in the US version that is missing in the original. But the US version might have omitted the role of the couple's child, this was a little over embellished and not in the original.

The real deal.

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
4 April 2003

The American version of THE RING was not that bad in my opinion. I was told by many a people that the Japanese original was far better. So, yeah I had to see it.

Recently, I discovered one of the cheapest ways to rent a film ever (and this was good because I see a lot of movies). Since you don't have to pay to rent movies at the library, just go there are borrow them. That thought had never occured to me before. So, there I get to rent movies that I have always wanted to see, but have never wanted to pay money to see. RINGU was one of those films. (EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and ELIZABETH were the other two).

So, about RINGU...

I found the beginning of the film to be much, much, much better than the American version of THE RING. It was actually very scary because you can always count on the Japanese to throw in an entire symphony of music right when there is a shocking image on screen in an attempt to scare the s*** out of you. It worked on me several times over.

The middle half of the film was not as good. I thought the middle was extremely boring and it began to stray very much from the American version of THE RING. Sorry, I loved the first half of this film, and I feel that the beginning is much better, but the second half made me want to shut it off. But, then again, the ending does get better. The scenes where they are watching the videotape was classic and the opening sequence is a little better than the opening in THE RING.

Overall, a very good film, but you should also see THE RING. You will also have to bear with the subtitles. But hey, at least it wasn't dubbed.

RINGU: 4/5.

Worth seeing, even if you've seen The Ring.

Author: Randall Grossman from Elma, NY
3 April 2003

I saw Ringu on DVD after seeing the U.S. remake (The Ring, with Naomi Watts in the lead role) in the theater. The two films are virtually identical in plot for the first 30 minutes, but they diverge after that. Ringu gives us more insight into the mysterious girl in the video and her mother than does The Ring, which deliberately leaves more in the shadow and leaves it up to us to draw conclusions. Both approaches work well.

Naomi Watts' role as the reporter/mother in The Ring is stronger than that of Nanako Matsushima in Ringu. Whereas Watts' character is the central investigator in The Ring, it is Reiko Asakawa's ex-husband, Ryuji Takayama who takes the lead in Ringu. Indeed, Ryuji seems to have a special insight into the curse from the point where he first learns of it from his ex-wife. He knows more than he lets on, and it is he, not her, who drives the investigation.

Overall, I enjoyed Ringu a great deal. It is a first rate horror film, using the unknown and unseen to play on the viewers' minds and build suspense. I believe that the U.S. remake does justice to the original, and would recommend it for those who do not like subtitled films, but encourage you to see both. I give Ringu 8/10; I rated The Ring 9/10.