IMDb > Ring (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ringu

Ring More at IMDbPro »Ringu (original title)

Page 5 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Brilliant but horrific

Author: lucygray_120 from United Kingdom
29 September 2005

This films happens to be one of the scariest films i've ever seen.It is set in Japan and is the film that the American film "The Ring" is based on. The story is simple yet effective and the film has twists that are not clear until the end. While it is hard to understand as it has subtitles the action and storyline are exciting and creates tension and suspense, which will have the audience on the edge of their seats. The monster/killer is an interesting character and the film provides information on the background of the killer and why they do what they do. While people with a nervous disposition will be scared, this film is a must see for anyone who likes horror!

it's fairly good

Author: Mystical_lonewolf from United States
24 June 2005

When i first watch this, it was very good film, even though only two things scared me there. but that doesn't mean it didn't interest me, i liked how it went through the whole film and i understood it's story like i understood Ju On, very good.

It was really surprising,this film doesn't rely on gore either and isn't straying from it's plot. This film should be viewed with an open mind and with positive thoughts.

I was pretty amazed how it went through and it seems to be unavoidable, when you hear about this tape, you know humans have the curiosity to learn. When they do, they're it. Same thing when walking into the house when haunted, you can't escape from your fate. If you have to watch this haunted video well, there is no stopping you.

The scariest film?

Author: ja46 from East sussex
29 April 2005

I am a huge fan of Asian cinema and after a long time waiting I decided to buy the ring to see what all the fuss was about. I found that it was very well made, but it didn't scare me nearly as much as I was told it would. The end scene is slightly scary, but i thought that was the only part that was. I have also seen Dark Water and The Eye which I enjoyed but did't find overly scary. I think this may be due to the fact that many films use a single image to create the shock. The slightly strange embracing of dead bodies which comes with a lot of Japanese films for example. I must admit I found The Blair witch project more scary. However I don't want to take anything away from the fact that this is a very good, original film. Maybe I have watched too many 'scary' films.

Overall well worth a watch for anyone that appreciates good films.

You'll never look at horror movie the same again

Author: kemboja from Singapore
18 April 2005

This horror movie scare the crap out of me, literally -- the last part (you know which part!) almost have me peeing in my pants! What impressed me most is that this horror movie is 1. Without blood, 2. No cheap camera tricks or CGI and 3. little screen time of the source of fear - Sadako. It relies on a formula of a good plot, good acting, disturbing soundtrack and great, great directing. In fact, I think the director is the star of this movie. The mood of the story, the way each scene is captured, letting you expect something might just jump out at you, but didn't - works really well at building up the crescendo of fear.

Yes, fear is the element of this movie. It's not that kind of chased-by-demons/monsters kind of fear, but a quiet, disconcerting, uncomfortable and subconscious fear that have you screaming from nightmares for a few days after the movie. You'll be afraid to watch TV alone after dark and the ringing phone will have you jumping out of your skin! Don't tell me I didn't warn you.

terrifying!!!!!!!!!

Author: paulmanzerta from california, usa, world, solarsysystem, universe
15 April 2005

this film is absolutely terrifying it is definitely scarier than the ring. definitely!!! this film got me running out the room shuddering like hell to my mum I'm 14 years old yes I'm admitting it. this film is scarier than than the exorcist,the ring,the shining any scary movie u can think of.this film really surprised me like when the man takes here photo and it comes out and she looks at it and it shows her blurred a second then it shows her looking at it scared. this scene was terrifying my hands were sweating like puddles.i felt shuddered by the photo it sounds weird but its true. this movie definitely gets a 10 out of 10 for great actors if u think the ring is scarier than Ringo you must be out of your mind watch the ring first than watch Ringo you will be in for a shock and don't say you didn't get scared watching this because i bet u did if u have seen it 100 percent o people i bet get scared watching this film absolutely no doubt whatsoever

Ringu (1998)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
2 March 2005

The Japanese original was the first exposure to the world of the cursed video tape I experienced. It is still my favourite and is one of the best horror films of all time (along with such classics as "Don't Look Now", "The Exorcist" and "The Wickerman"). Upon watching it for the first time it was a fantastic departure from all the usual Hollywood slashers that were filling multiplexes at the time, the story had a simple premise but a complex unravelling of the mystery. From the very beginning the film creates an unsettling mood, and raises many questions, but doesn't answer all of them which is fine by me. "Ringu" is also a brilliant display of restraint, as the film builds up slowly, taking its time (Slow and steady wins the race). Less is certainly more, and the low budget proves to be a blessing rather than a hindrance, as simple techniques are used and the audiences imagination plays a crucial part in creating the horror. All the performances are very impressive, especially by Nanako Matsushima, who really portrays a sense of urgency and fear in dealing with the super-natural. The departures from the novel never once hurt this adaptation, all the changes seem justified and work well in the context of the film, although the characters do not develop as much, they do have more involved relationships. As for that infamous finale, it is the most terrifying scene I have ever seen, and the practical nature of its set-up makes the film seem nothing more than realistically horrific. The film is a real trend setter, a lot of films owe it their thanks. The film is anything but 'in your face' and so don't watch it expecting the horror to slap you round the chops. Watch, listen and think. Some of the psychic sub-plots may seem peculiar to some, but I just love a bit of foreshadow and telekinesis. The film is also the best introduction to the mythology of The Ring, which is a very in depth and well rounded creation in either novel or movie form.

Hair can be quite harmful

Author: SpectacledRat from The Black Hole of England
30 October 2004

This was the first horror Asian movie I had the luck to bump into in my entire life, and besides opening me eyes on a few things it made me a lot of good, not only because it scared me shitless. It was a few years ago: a late movie series on channel 4 i think, or maybe bbc. I didn't know that it was a horror movie, so I went on watching it. Brilliant. Absolutely perfect. And nothing scared me more in my life before. I have to say that after watching it i made 3 MuuMuu laws: 1. Asian horrors are the finest; 2. Asian directors have a finesse westerners can forget about; 3. never EVER look in a mirror, or a TV screen, or a picture [or everything still or moving now that i think about it], when you feel spookable, especially if you are alone. And avoid get in a lift in the mid of the night [its very weird if there is a big mirror in it, believe me, lol]. The last time i was so creeped was when i watched poor dolores claiborne's daughter in the scene on the ferry. I love that movie but I still avoid to look when it goes to that scene... YES i am a coward :D PS: It is so obvious that the new o-ho blockbuster shamelessly copied the posters... so sad really. They couldn't even manage a spooky one, lol

FANTASTIC HORROR (there's a bit of a spoiler in here)

Author: hamadryad from Fort Worth, Texas
3 October 2004

This gives away a little about the happenings in both this film and in the American remake, "The Ring." If you haven't seen either one or both, it might be wise to STOP HERE and hit the back button on your browser. I do try not to become too specific, but just to be safe...

Unlike most American films, the fear inspired by this piece has little to do with gore, blood or violence. And the very structure of the film is distinctly (and, not to sound too biased, but in this case, gloriously) un-American. The entire plot style of an American film is to build up in a series of little jolts, to prepare the viewer for a grande finale, some sort of climax that will finally wind down and by the end of the film, all the loose ends are (psychologically speaking, anyway) tied up, rounded off, and smooth - leaving the viewer with memories of frightening imagery, but with everything resolved and taken care of. (In the case that it isn't, there's usually a sequel involved.) Such is the case with the American remake - most things get cleaned up. The Japanese film, though - in my case, I went into it not knowing a thing about the film. I'd never seen any Japanese horror films, or that many Japanese films at all, for that matter - at the tender age of thirteen I had no clue what I was getting into. I was glad to find it wasn't your standard gore fest, but a bit disappointed when it seemed to me to be a simple ghost story - I was hoping for something frightening. And, lo and behold, after my defences were down, after I was relaxed and resigned to the concept that it wasn't going to frighten me... Well, the middle-aged guy sitting in front of me screamed out loud.

Personally I found that this was the perfect structure for a horror film. With such atmosphere and visual effect at the zenith, and so little to prepare one for it, it's far more potent than any other moment of any other horror film I've watched to date. It's certainly among the best of all of the true horror genre I've seen, if not the crowning title.

a scary film

Author: ogencoglu from Istanbul, Turkey
17 September 2004

Ringu is a threatening film, after watching this film, you may will have some problems of watching television. This film really makes you feel sick... Japanese horror films are really good productions to watch, moreover these films make you feel bad

I can guarantee you that Ringu is better than The Ring(the Hollywood version of this film). This is my opinion but I think that lots of movie lovers are agree with me.

After watching this film, don't forget to watch the second Ringu. It's certain that Ringu is more scary and threatening than Ringu 2, however watch the second

Forget about the rest

Author: John_Warwick (johnpaulwarwick@yahoo.co.uk) from North East England
25 August 2004

Forget about the Exorcist, forget about the American remake of this film, this film is truly the most terrifying film ever. I really couldn't recommend this film enough. Maybe the only problem with this film is that it is subtitled I myself have no problem with this but I know some people will not watch or have trouble following a subtitled film which is a shame as those people will most likely turn to the American remake of this The Ring. Although the American version isn't at all bad it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as this film does. This film does tend to have a rather slow pacing but this all adds to the climax at the end, when I first watched this I had no idea of any of the plot details and really enjoyed the ending which was the best ending I've ever seen in a film of this type and I never guessed it unlike some films eg. The Others etc.