IMDb > Ring (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ringu

Ring More at IMDbPro »Ringu (original title)

Page 4 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Ringu rocks

Author: elunia_94 from Australia
29 March 2006

Yeah,I have watched ringu and all rings.I think they are great,especially because the grotesque thing comes out of the television.Sadako is true main killer in thing movie.A journalist Reiko Asakawa,divorced,with a six years old son named Yoichi.Reiko's niece had died in a terrible death of sudden heart failure.Her friend Masami witnesses her death.Now Reiko watches the tape and she has seven days left.With her ex-husband's help,Ryuji Takayama.Now it's a great mystery,but is she willing to take every risk..well yes.And putting her son in danger when he watches it...like I said..it's a great mystery.Great movie I say.

Scary and cool!

Author: Saad from Chicago, IL
11 March 2006

this is one of the nicest scary movies around. Its much better than the English version. all the spooks in the movie will spook any normal person out (not spooks of course :P).

the director does a fine job of creating the atmosphere, there aren't too many artificial scenes. its about a journalist who investigates these series of mysterious deaths and gets caught up seeing the same tape, and receives the dreadful message from the other world! she investigates with her ex-hubby and desperately is trying to solve the mystery before the ticking clock gets to her. It sends chills down your spine when the climax comes, and yes,

don't turn it off until you see "the end" of the movie!

5 months on, and I can't shake the image of that vengeful ghost.

Author: loveallthepeople from United Kingdom
9 January 2006

Being someone who defines themselves freely as a wuss, I usually tend to avoid Horror movies like the plague. In retrospect, had I known what Ringu would entail I would have avoided it like the plague. Not because Ringu is a bad film, by any means, but because it is singularly the most terrifying film I have ever seen.

Ringu is a slow burner, with the action not starting until about 3/4 of the way into the film. The beginning follows Reiko Asakawa's investigation of a mystery tape that kills anyone who watches it, 7 days after their time of viewing.

The investigation takes Reiko and her (somewhat gormless) ex husband Ryuji to a desolate island in Japan where they learn the story of Shizuko and Sadako Yamamura, the latter being the creator of the 'Ring' tape.

Sadako's character is an interesting one, as her notions within the film are somewhat ambiguous. Whether Sadako is a lonely, repressed little girl or outright evil force is left unclear, though based on Rie Inou's superb eerie bodily contortions and ghastly presence in *that* scene, I'd opt for the latter every time. There is something unshakably evil about Sadako's character- I put a large part of it down to the inhumanity of her. Her strange bent posture, the freaky eye and the lack of articulation. Keeping Sadako silent was a fantastic directorial decision by Hideo Nakata; the shroud of mystery surrounding Sadako mean she is even more scary. For the short amount of time she is in the film, Sadako's character makes a huge impact. The simplicity of her move of choice is made terrifying by the familiarity it is contained within. We all have televisions, phones, and VCRs in our home but never expect these to be a source of terror. About 4 months on I still fear the television opposite my bed, and have slept badly as a result of this for months. I don't exaggerate here. If you scare easily, don't watch Ringu; it is unspeakably eerie. I've read a few reviews calling the filming and shots amateur but I personally think the hindered view is frightening- you never see what is near, working alongside the main premise of the film- the unseen is scary. I think it is beautifully shot, well acted and superbly climatic. A film as subtly conceived as it is hauntingly realised.

The scariest, most original horror film of all time

Author: c-kelsall from United Kingdom
10 November 2005

Ringu (as it is known in Japan) probably started the modern interest in Japanese horror. It established Hideo Nakata as one of Japan's foremost modern film-makers, and rightly so. The story is by now a familiar theme of video tape from hell that curses the viewer to die within the week. This is merely the mystery hook to initiate a much more fascinating and deeply terrifying story of the brutal death of a young girl and the manifestation of her will from beyond the grave. For those who haven't seen either Ringu or the Hollywood remake The Ring, it would be a travesty to reveal the cause of death to the hapless victims, but suffice to say that Ringu's sustained feeling of spine tingling unease builds and builds to a truly horrible catharsis that marks it as the most frightening horror film I have seen, bar none. If my phone had rung just after I finished watching this film, I would probably have soiled myself. Don't watch this alone. Although this film is in colour, it has a stripped down quality that gives the impression of it being almost black and white, which somehow adds to the tension and a feeling of loneliness. What starts out as a slightly ridiculous premise becomes a totally believable and gripping horror film.

Asian Theory

Author: kazou from Spain
9 November 2005

This movie started the Asian terror fever with a shocking horror view from Mr. Nakata- sama. Us the occidentals loved this tape because of its slow and quite vision of the story, and the chilling ghosts with no mercy. So Great. Arigatou Hideo, your movies and your culture are a part of us now.

The movie itself represents the contrasts between the modern and the past Japanese society, both truly respectful about ghosts. The more slow things happen the more tension you get around your neck. It was a surprise for everyone and now we have lots of copies, but the original first exported must be viewed as a representation of that cinema we honoured these days.

a heart wrenching, spine chilling horror

Author: sophiehoward1988 from United Kingdom
19 October 2005

The Ringu is an exciting adventurous horror film. We are not watching mindless killings but long adventurous mission. The horrific figure within this film subverts from the classic "monster". she is a small girl who has been caught up in this horrific incident and seen as a scary image. the scariest part of the film i find is when she comes out of the well in the mans living rooms television and into his bedroom. One annoying aspect of the film is the fact that there is no resolution, it feels like the mission becomes a waste of time. i additionally feel that it is very hard for western society to understand how she could ask her own father to watch the film and die. however i feel that the film is psychologically very clever, ordering the audience to permanently wait for something terrifying to happen, even though it doesn't.

the mother of all Japanese horror films

Author: The3Extremes from the zoo
11 October 2005

The film that made me an Asian horror fan is probably the most tense and chilling horror to rival Audition. The famous plot about a killer video tape that will kill anyone who watchs it exactly 7 days later is told in such a great way that every scene delivers a chill. The film has some incredibly eerie 'humming' as music which helps make those shivers hit your spine. The camera work plays a major roll in the fear factor as well, swerving around to neatly reveal the shocks on the victim's faces. Those who viewed the Hollywood remake first will be more shocked as the famous crawling through the tele finale is even more chilling.

Brilliant but horrific

Author: lucygray_120 from United Kingdom
29 September 2005

This films happens to be one of the scariest films i've ever seen.It is set in Japan and is the film that the American film "The Ring" is based on. The story is simple yet effective and the film has twists that are not clear until the end. While it is hard to understand as it has subtitles the action and storyline are exciting and creates tension and suspense, which will have the audience on the edge of their seats. The monster/killer is an interesting character and the film provides information on the background of the killer and why they do what they do. While people with a nervous disposition will be scared, this film is a must see for anyone who likes horror!

it's fairly good

Author: Mystical_lonewolf from United States
24 June 2005

When i first watch this, it was very good film, even though only two things scared me there. but that doesn't mean it didn't interest me, i liked how it went through the whole film and i understood it's story like i understood Ju On, very good.

It was really surprising,this film doesn't rely on gore either and isn't straying from it's plot. This film should be viewed with an open mind and with positive thoughts.

I was pretty amazed how it went through and it seems to be unavoidable, when you hear about this tape, you know humans have the curiosity to learn. When they do, they're it. Same thing when walking into the house when haunted, you can't escape from your fate. If you have to watch this haunted video well, there is no stopping you.

The scariest film?

Author: ja46 from East sussex
29 April 2005

I am a huge fan of Asian cinema and after a long time waiting I decided to buy the ring to see what all the fuss was about. I found that it was very well made, but it didn't scare me nearly as much as I was told it would. The end scene is slightly scary, but i thought that was the only part that was. I have also seen Dark Water and The Eye which I enjoyed but did't find overly scary. I think this may be due to the fact that many films use a single image to create the shock. The slightly strange embracing of dead bodies which comes with a lot of Japanese films for example. I must admit I found The Blair witch project more scary. However I don't want to take anything away from the fact that this is a very good, original film. Maybe I have watched too many 'scary' films.

Overall well worth a watch for anyone that appreciates good films.