IMDb > Ring (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ringu

Ring More at IMDbPro »Ringu (original title)

Page 11 of 40: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Why its better

Author: mikelogics from Philippines
15 January 2003

Here's a lesson for Hollywood. Less is more. Everything is just more believable without CGI and special effects. From an asian standpoint, the characters were also believable, and made you feel sorry for them.

Look, in Ringu, Riyuji was the more dominant character, an A-male with all the answers. I felt sorry for him when he died. I didn't feel the same for Noah. He was a wimp! Rachel was more dominant in the remake. I could go on about the gender-cultural context of the two movies but I guess my point is clear.

Secondly, Ringu made good use of techniques to heighten the power of suggestion. Sometimes leaving the biggest scares in the minds of the audience.

Example: Riyuji takes Asakawa's picture. He takes a look at the polaroid, but the audience doesn't see the picture right away. We first see Riyuji's reaction. This A-male-with-all-the-answers first looks puzzled, then disturbed. He hands over the picture to Asakawa, we see her reaction: Distressed! Then....WHAM! We see the picture finally with some twisted music! Bravo! I really felt bad for the pregnant lady in front of me. She was crying and begging her husband to leave. They left, which I think is a good thing.

A lesson for Hollywood

Author: mikelogics from Philippines
12 January 2003

Listen Hollywood, this is what you can do with minimal budget and special effects. You give the audience a LITTLE glimpse of dread and leave the biggest scares in the minds of the viewer.

Case in point(spoilers): Riyuji takes Asakawa's polaroid picture. We don't see the picture right away. We first see Riyuji's disturbed reaction. Leaves us thinking...what could be so bad as to bring shivers down this A-male's spine? . He hands over the polaroid to Asakawa. She takes a look at it...she's DISTRESSED! Now we see the picture for the first time, accompanied by jarring sound effects....WHAM!! It was too much for the pregnant lady in front of us, as she was tearfully begging her husband to leave the cinema.

That was power of suggestion at work. You knew beforehand what was coming, but the film prepares you for the scare. Hollywood didn't get it.

Of course, nothing could prepare you for the final scene. Just as a fighter leaves his guard down when he thinks his opponent is down and out....he gets a fast one in his face. What makes it worse, is that Riyuji was the more dominant character(he had all the answers didnt he?). Thus, we feel sorry for him in the end. The same couldn't be said for Noah.

Listen Hollywood: If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Ringu...Fact or Fiction???

Author: aluongy2k from California, USA
31 December 2002

For those who ever wonder if Ringu is based on a true story, then read on...

Answer is, it's "semi" true. If you haven't seen Ringu yet, then I suggest you to go watch it first because you won't understand anything I'm going to say.

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

The two unique characters in Ringu, are the mother and the child; Yamamura Shizuko and Sadako. The movie itself was base on the novel by Suzuki Koji. Shizuko and Sadako were based on real people.

The idea of Yamamura Shizuko was from a real Japanese woman name Mifune Chizuko who lived during the early 1900s. Ironically, this woman possesses the same "future prediction" abilities as Shizuko. An assistant professor of Psychology at Tokyo University, name Fukurai Tomokichi, who has an interest in the supernatural, discovered her and took her to an infamous public demonstration that held on September 15, 1910. Her death was also suicide like Shizuko, but she killed herself by poisonous injection. She was 25.

Lastly, the famous Yamamura Sadako was based on a psychic name Takahashi Sadako (That's how Suzuki Koji got the name "Sadako"). This real life Sadako was born right after Mifune Chizuko's death, and possesses the same ability as Yamamura Sadako. The ability is called "nensha"; the focusing of will to produce an image on film or some other medium (Spirit Photography).

The internet has many detailed information and resources of these two women.

*There was rumors of actual hauntings on both the sets of Ringu and The Ring (American Remake).*

Japanese version is way better.

Author: jcpatino from Manila, Philippines
29 December 2002

**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

I watched both the Japanese and the American film and found this one to be better. I watched the original first and could not stay alone in a room with a TV for days. This movie creeps you out with your mind; none of those blood-guts and cheap sudden volume changes. All the things I loved in the original, the re-make took away. It removed having to imagine as it explained almost everything. Imagining how the first victim ended up in the closet is much more frightening when left to the imagination. I never saw Sadako's face and wouldn't want to since those who have died or became crazy. In the re-make, I found Samara pretty, not scary. Instead, the re-make scares you with just audio effects. I'd recommend that you watch the original first before the re-make.

To all those asking what's up with the title, it's not "RING" as in a round object but "RING" as in the ring of the phone. Before you die, you HEAR the ring.

Slightly Overrated

Author: Marc Yu from Crestview, FL
24 December 2002

It's a one trick pony - it has a nice ending twist. Not as scary or as suspenseful as the furor made it out to be. Still, for thriller fans, it's an 8 out of 10. For everyone else, prolly a 7. The 7.5 average is a fair assessment.

Makes you wanna do an Elvis and shoot a hole in your television

Author: Mr Parker (spookyscribe@yahoo.com) from New York City
20 December 2002

I say that because I never wanted to see a television with static again. Nor did I want my phone to ring. I saw this soon after I saw the American remake. This movie is downright creepy. Someone else before me said that anyone who found this movie scary has obviously never seen a scary movie before. So I guess I never have because I found this movie to be really scary. I like both this movie and the remake equally but for different reasons. What I like about this version is that it's low budget roots give it an overall creepier air than the remake had. I like the "whole less is more" approach. The acting was actually pretty good, especially the kid and his father. Some things were changed for the remake, like with the father having the psychic abilities instead of the kid. Also, there's no horses anywhere to be found in this movie. This is more of a psychological horror movie, so if you're looking for Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street, look elsewhere. It's a movie for those with the patience to sit through an increasingly intriguing film that is easily one of the best horror movies I have ever seen. I recommend this movie whole heartedly. Rating: **** out of *****.

now I'm scared of TV static

Author: Noelle De Guzman (dimturiel) from Manila, Philippines
16 December 2002

I saw it yesterday in a theater, and it was a very good horror/suspense film, although I don't think I can stand watching Ringu 2 and the Hollywood remake. Now, I'm scared of TV static or even of my reflection in TV screens. I don't know if I should recommend seeing it, but do so at your own risk. It's not the movie itself that's really scary, but its effects on you afterwards (and on overactive imaginations) can lead to sleepless nights.

A class on its own. A chilling story with a tinge of romance and comic relief.

Author: atenistalawyer (zarathustra@mydestiny.net) from Manila, Philippines
15 December 2002

One would think that "Ring" merely adds to the string of movies that do away with the blood and gore that traditionally characterize scary stories. "Sixth Sense" and "What Lies Beneath" readily come to mind in this regard. It is interesting to note that "Ring" was already shown as early as 1998, and, curiously, both "Sixth Sense" and "What Lies Beneath" also involve a then-unsolved murder. The respective plots of these movies also draw their "scariness" from the subtle, "near-dragging" antecedents of the murder, and how each detail is, rather startingly, revealed to the protagonist and, ultimately, to the audience. But, even if taken together with these movies, "Ring" proves to be the most promising in that it both created a new trend and added more to what it had already started.

Intentionally or not, "Ring" is interspersed with comic relief -- the implausible facial expressions of Sadaka's victims, Ryuji's uncaring disposition toward his ex-wife, and characters appearing from nowhere. (As far as the first is concerned, one would later discover, particularly when Ryuji himself is haunted by Sadaka, that the facial expressions were the inevitable result of Sadaka's ineffable horror)

Also, unlike the usually-graphic approach of horror movies, "Ring" instead relies heavily on suggestion and inference. Except for the ghastly reflections on the television screen surface and, perhaps, the eerie, distorted photographs (especially that of Asakawa), practically all the scenes were, in themselves, bereft of any creepy undertones. Not even Sadaka's face was revealed completely, and almost everyone in the movie house screamed every time a phone rang -- ordinary scenes made dreadful by conditioning references to a disturbing urban legend.

Lastly, "Ring" is a laudable attempt at an Asian element to the horror bandwagon. True, "Sixth Sense" was written and directed, masterfully at that, by a fellow Asian. But "Ring" excludes the foreign element altogether. It is, thus, uniquely Asian in this respect.

The American version has yet to be shown in this country. And, judging from its trailer, it appears to add nothing substantial to the original. But when it does come out, the question that would crop up is not whether it faithfully represents the original, but whether it even comes close to a new Hollywood standard unwittingly created by a non-Hollywood film. "Ring" is manifest proof that the sun does rise in the East.

With low Budget you can Hit big

Author: deadraque from Belgium
14 December 2002

Well first of all i saw the ring yesterday rented from the shop, never heard of it before, but seems to make a suddenly appearance with the outcoming Ring that will strike our country only in November here at the movies, so i can't judge the US version yet.

But What i saw in this movie, well it has been long veryyyy long ago i feeled like this, my god this was a grim movie. I say congrats because since years the US Movies in Horror hes gone down faster then the Nasdaq :) We have enough of that blood thing with big breasts and a script made in 10 minutes.

K Here you don't get the most impressif acting or story, could have been done a bit better, but when i see the way the movie has been filmed, well it makes you feel on certain moments like you not alone if you watched in the dark alone, the only movie that done such feeling to me was The Shining. Since that day i never saw a horror movie again that made me feel something beside laughing at them of ridiculous.

Giving this 8/10 for this amazing performance but should have been a bit more clear and a bit longer but great job!

Where does the ring come into it?

Author: lebowski_achiever from Amsterdam
8 December 2002

**Possible Spoilers**

I saw this movie last night and I have to say that I am disappointed. I do like chilling movies that rely on building tension rather than blood and guts, but this failed to build sufficient tension for me to be scared. I think this is because the suspension of disbelief was too hard for this premise and not only that, it failed to explain the exact motivation for the deaths. There were just too many gaping holes in the story and even then it felt as if the story was stretched to thinly over its hour and a half's length. A missed opportunity then? Perhaps, but as I said earlier the concept did not make much sense to me.

**MAJOR SPOILERS**

How is it that a ghost of a girl that died in the 50's has a notion of video tapes, let alone put one together? What is with the title? Why did her father kill her? What is with the title? Goblins in Brine? What is the exact motivation of Sadako for killing/scaring these innocent people? What is with the title? I just didn't get it

**END OF SPOILERS**

The acting was wooden but that is probably because I am not used to the sounds of the Japanese language. The characters were cold and distant and I did not feel drawn in. This is probably down to the translation. The second is forgivable but the first is not. You need to be drawn in and be able to sympathise with the people involved to be able to build tension.

It wasn't all bad, though. The last scene was creepy enough and makes me want to see the remake.