IMDb > Seven Girlfriends (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Seven Girlfriends More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly good romantic comedy

Author: ebe28 from Charlotte, NC
31 January 2002

These kind of low budget movies are a great reason to have digital cable. I had never heard of "Seven Girlfriends" but noticed that the likeable Tim Daly was in it. Since many movies that are played on cable late at night are usually uninteresting, I thought I would take a gamble with this movie.

It was surprisingly enjoyable for a relatively simple premise. Daly's Jesse is very much someone who could be your neighbor rather than some big Hollywood larger-than-life star. Though he has the enviable task of having to spend time with some of Hollywood's less known but very beautiful actresses, Daly makes every scene watchable. Though I didn't find any "laugh out loud" type humor, it still had very humorous scenes all throughout the film.

I was very impressed by many of the actresses, particularly Mimi Rogers, Laura Leighton, Olivia d'Abo and Melora Hardin even with their rather limited screen time. But that's what made the film flow so well. In the end, I was not surprised which actress Daly ended up with, but it was a nice thing to see. I also liked that there were still more scenes shown even with the credits running through the end. It made the experience of the characters that more satisfying to watch. This is a nice little light movie to put a smile on your face. Highly recommended.

Great ending!

Author: hubcap18 from Wilkesboro, NC
12 July 2001

Tim Daly is very good in his role as a man who can't seem to make a relationship last. En route to the funeral of his ex-girlfriend, who was once his fiancée, he talks with each of his girlfriends to discover why the relationships didn't last. There are some really inspired bits in this film, particularly at his lesbian ex's party and one reason his high-school sweetheart gives for breaking up: His voice is too high when he sings along with the radio(we hear evidence in the film). He responds: "It's harmony!" The one thing I liked about this film more than anything was the ending. Some movies I've seen kind of left me empty or had a really unresolved ending. But not this film. I'm not going to give away too much, but just say it really left me satisfied. I highly recommend this film, to anyone who wants a simple romantic comedy.

Do Not Underestimate This Movie. It is good.

Author: omar-23 from Winslow, Maine
28 June 2000

Okay, maybe the name Tim Daly would scare you off from watching this movie, but trust me. This movie is so much better than all of Jennifer Aniston's and David Schwimmer's movies combined. This movie is cleverly written and full of a series of surprising and comical twists and turns.

The cast may not be your typical movie picks. Yet Paul Lazzarus wrote and directed this movie well. Tim Daly was surprisingly good as Jesse, a 32 year old bachelor whose former-fiance dies, and he tracks down his former girlfriends to find out where he went wrong. And believe me, when you see this movie, his girl trouble turns out to be more than just bad luck.

Some of the most hilarious scenes come when his answering machine messages get saved by one of his girlfriends, and a certain scene with another one of his former girlfriends' daughter. I can't tell you the specifics of these scenes, but I guarantee you, it will be funny.

The acting is done very well, the script is well written, and this is in no way like High Fidelity. It may not have exactly gotten "Titanic" advertising, but it is a must-see. See it when you get the chance.

Creative, fresh, fun.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
17 February 2001

"Seven Girlfriends" is an unusually fresh and creative light comedy centered on one man and the many women in his life, past and present. The flick is technically and artistically a journeyman effort with a solid distaff which trods gently upon its humble protagonist. A little herky-jerky with lots of flash backing, "Seven..." is full of surprises with little to fault. A good video watch for guys and gals in the mood for a light hearted comedy which celebrates the foibles of heterosexual relationships.

I will buy this one!

Author: mac-279 from Sweden
2 May 2006

This movie made me feel good. It is not a masterpiece but still it has an over all quality as entertainment that runs the risk to be overseen. It deals with the most common angst of true love. Love problems have an impact on our daily life. This movie deals with many of the problems but in a shallow, American, Hollywood style. So what? The acting is on a basic level as the directing but… I never had a feeling that any one in the movie was in lack of genuine acting skills. They did a fine job and there is a lot more to give from all of the main actors. This movie is an example of easy to digest motion picture art form as entertainment suitable for any one to take part of.

Surprisingly novel and unique

Author: Miko Raud (mix@rescue.ee) from Tallinn, Estonia
9 August 2001

I saw this one on a flight from Copenhagen to Chicago. As the name as well as the protagonists were unknown to me I didn't know what to expect. I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The movie is light but by no means shallow. The humor (which there is plenty of) is fresh and unique. Although several things are made fun of, nothing is really disparaged. I was disappointed reading the "external reviews" and how little those critics thought of the movie. In my humble opinion this movie is an outstanding comedy that is worth much more than it has received credit for.

Quite good, I was pleasantly surprised

Author: RNHunter from California US
18 July 2010

I really did like this movie - a lot. One could argue that the movie theme reminds one of that Eagles song "Take It Easy" - about having 7 women on their mind - "four that want to own me, two that want to stone me, one says she's a friend of mine". Well, in this movie, the breakdown of those who wish to stone the lead actor is not the same number, but I will not give that away.

I found it a quite funny romantic comedy that works and works quite well. The script for my tastes had a number of jokes and humorous situations that I felt worked quite well. Well, I do have to admit, that my last movie before this was an Adam Sandler movie that even though Sandler is talented was straining for humor (Grownups). So that I admit could give this one an edge for me, comparing the two. The other thing I believe that makes for a good movie is casting and using the actors and actresses at their best. Yeah, I loved the characters. The head guy, Jesse seems so confused that there is a tendency to forgive all that he does. That is a feature by the way. And Hannah and some of the other characters also played great character parts. I felt that this movie works quite well, and really enjoyed it. Hope you do also.

A Funny, Lighthearted Romantic Comedy That Doesn't Take Itself So Seriously

Author: favreisgod (beatleguy@hotmail.com) from Wisconsin, USA
4 October 2001

This movie was about a man's search to find out what he is doing wrong in his relationships with women. This subject is intriguing because all of us men want to know how to keep that special woman in our lives. Although the answers were not really found and the film was not all that revelatory, I still got a chuckle seeing Tim Daly trying to sort through his mistakes and find out what went wrong. A good supporting cast helped the movie move along smoothly, and I must admit there are some very beautiful women in this film which made me stick around until the end. Overall, a good film, especially for men, who would like to put themselves in another guy's shoes to see how one man tries to improve his relations with the opposite sex.

A hidden little Jem where do they hide, and why are they so well hidden

Author: Maria Trim from United Kingdom
12 August 2017

Loved it, quite funny in places the lesbian party had me in stitches, a bit of romance naughty bits, life lessons, and good acting. Great little movie to chill out and have a duvet day. I can never understand why people hate films so much its better then a lot of films i have seen and paid for. I really like Tim Daly anyway and lots of good supporting actors.

I felt good after watching it, satisfied and happy loved the ending and the photographs were a hoot.

You just never know who you are dating lol.

If you come across this watch it, you wont be disappointed.

Will make you laugh until you cry!

Author: dkosich from Reno, Nevada
15 September 2003

Although the movie is a bit slow at first, the viewer will be rewarded for his or her patience. Excellent depiction of fantasy. This little gem features numerous humorous situations that many of us may recognize from our own lives--very funny sexual fantasies, leaving messages on the answering machine that you live to regret, swearing off men or women forever, people who believe they possess psychic powers, etc. As an example, a funeral scene and the subsequent wake will make you laugh until you cry. You will still be laughing days later.

If you are a fan of Tim Daly, like I am, you may have no idea of his gift for physical comedy. The supporting cast is also very good.