IMDb > Love and Action in Chicago (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Love and Action in Chicago More at IMDbPro »

On the money

Author: DjohnsonC1 from Newark, Delaware United States
16 June 2003

I stumbled upon this great film while channel cruising and would not stop watching until I found out the title. This film showed a different, but wonderful side of the usually very serious, very conservative Courtney, but it showed that he is even great in comedy. The pairing of Courtney and Regina was superb, they really flowed together as a couple. The chemistry between them was on the money.

Love and Action for a pleasant evening at home, May 21, 2001

Author: Fire208624 from Mt. Pleasant, SC
24 June 2003

A movie for an evening at home -- not a great movie, but paced and plotted so that the tape will probably play to the end, with no one being bored -- a predictable end, but one would not expect heavy drama or deep tragedy from this comedy/action/romance film. The cast is talented and do well with their roles; Courtney Vance emits his usual likeable screen personna and is as convincing when wielding a gun as he is when kissing his girl, well played by Regina King and the chemistry between Vance and King is believable. Jason Alexander and Regina King perform a cute dance scene. The confession in the church is one instance when the humor has an original note. You may not hold your breath at the suspense ending but will probably keep your eyes on the screen. All in all, a good one for a dinner and a movie evening.

Remarkable movie with very funny moments

Author: (rian-2) from Breda Netherlands
29 May 2000

This is a very funny movie, where Courtney Vance play's a work-a-holic (though he is a hit man) and get's set up by his boss (Kathleen Turner) with Regina King, so he will get a private life. Their aquaintance is especially humorous. She is very persistant in getting to know him, and as they spend more time together he falls in love with her. Then he needs to get out of his business, but when Eddie leaves, he has to face the consequences and become target of the agency.

The great thing of Love and action in Chicago is they combine action and love in no ordinary way

A very remarkable sentence by Regina King: 'I haven't asked you to sleep with me..... Yet!'

Well-done romancer

Author: TV Boy from Rochester, NY
28 November 2004

Have to say that "L&A in C" is a charming independent. Courtney B. Vance and Regina King have unmistakable chemistry as the celibate hit-man and flighty-but-feisty femme. Yes, the bloom's off Kathleen Turner's rose and Jason Alexander will forever be George Costanza, but sharpen your focus on these two and you're missing the entire point of "L&A ..." It's about Vance and King as two people who haven't yet realized they're meant for each other. It's about their dance on the way to that realization and your jubilation once they get there. Class A stuff, probably not. Novice director Dwayne Johnson-Cochran hasn't helmed anything since, but his debut effort here proved he could write a come-hither B-flick that proves irresistible when HBO is airing "Bruce Almighty" for the umpteenth time.

A Very Funny and Worthwhile Entertainment

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3 February 2004

Eddie Jones (Courtney B. Vance) is a hitman, working for U. S. Government: he eliminates persons that the government has problem or does not like. He is `working' a lot and saving some money for his retirement. Good and faithful catholic, he has not had sex for three years. While confessing, he tries to bargain his murders by his celibate with God. His boss is `Middleman' (Kathleen Turner), who likes him and decides to arrange a date for Eddie. She orders Eddie to meet Lois Newton (Regina King) in a restaurant, and after a lot of confusion and misunderstandings, mainly due to Eddie's profession, they fall in love (and lust) for each other. This action-comedy-romance is really very funny. Courtney B. Vance usually works in `serious' movies, and he has a great performance in this black-humor comedy. There are at least three scenes that make this movie worthwhile: Eddie's confession, when he tries to bargain his penitence with the priest; Eddie's first date with Lois, when she is pregnant; and the misunderstanding of Frank Bonner (Jason Alexander) with the profession of Lois. A great entertainment, that makes laughing a lot. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): `Amor e Aventura em Chicago' (`Love and Action in Chicago')

Absolute Worst Movie I've Ever Seen

Author: joel-101 (joel@clubvibes.com) from Vancouver, BC
4 November 2000

You won't find worse than this. Ever seen Speed 2? Speed 2 was my last worst movie I'd ever seen, but this movie topped it ten-fold. The movie had no plot, no character development, bad acting and two hours that I won't get back.

Dumbest movie ever

Author: redgrange1 from United States
2 January 2010

There's so much wrong with this movie, no matter where you begin to criticize, you feel like you're implicitly justifying the rest of the travesties just by not mentioning them first. With the exception of one scene very early on (with a "pregnant" Regina King), there is nothing funny about this movie. Courtney Vance isn't funny, although you get the feeling that the talented King would be, if she weren't beaten to a bloody pulp by the cardboard plot and the ridiculous hackneyed writing. The action sequences are grade C. But most of all, none of it makes sense. The decisions of the characters are unsupported by logic, and their"development" occurs within single scenes. Her acceptance of his career takes an entire 10 seconds, and his celibacy remains a completely unresolved issue. For "the best eliminator" in the federal government, he is constantly reacting 10 seconds late if at all. The boss (Jason Alexander) mistakenly gives a civilian an assignment to kill someone after having met her once, based on a misunderstood conversation? Come on. Just awful all around.

Great offbeat fun!

Author: watts42 from Chicago
5 February 2003

It you like movies that can be viewed several times this is the movie for you. "Love And Action In Chicago" gives the viewer something to think about it doesn't insult the viewers intelligence. This film is quirky kind of like "Curb your enthusiasm" either you love it or you hate it but there definitely is something for you to sink your teeth in.

Outstanding!!!

Author: brian-623 from Puerto Rico
19 August 2010

by Cain (Jan 19, 2009) I just loved this movie. It made me truly believe in that one great love. Regina and Courtney were wonderful actors in this outstanding movie. An "A" cast in a very good comedy. Courtney B. Vance and Regina King are two of the most underrated actors around. It was great to see them shine together in lead roles. And love Jason Alexander, Kathleen Turner and Ed Asner, very cool. This film didn't get a theatrical release and I'm very surprised because it contained a lot of elements that a small but intriguing African-American lead film aspires to. Every time this one plays on HBO I watch. Really great film. Thanks so much.

Will this ever stop?

Author: xfile1971 from Northbrook, IL, USA
21 May 2003

We've all heard the saying "the straw that broke the camel's back", right? I think that just might have described my reaction to this movie.

Hopefully this won't sound like a tirade, but my patience is wearing thin. I realize that acting is kind of a job. I know that actors expect a steady paycheck just like a lot of us. However, I truly believe that once an actor reaches a certain level of success, they owe it to their fans to have a certain amount of respect for their craft.

"Love And Action In Chicago" is a movie which Kathleen Turner, Regina King, Ed Asner, Courtney B. Vance and Jason Alexander should all be ashamed of. It's tragic to what levels they will stoop for a scrawny little paycheck.

The film is about a government hitman (Vance) who is apparently killing people off that the US government doesn't like. As you can imagine, that is a lot of people so business for the hitman is quite brisk. He's our "hero" of this independent flick. His boss is played by Kathleen Turner, who is so clearly slumming here that it is a true embarrassment watching her. Her boss is played by a filthy-mouthed Ed Asner.

The romantic interest is played by the usually wonderful Regina King. Her reputation in my eyes has been lowered a couple of notches after sitting through this nonsense. Anyway, the most humorous moment of the film comes when the hitman character tells his girlfriend that he can't sleep with her. Why? Because he made a promise to God! Oh...that's classic! Apparently, he has no qualms about knocking people off by the dozens but premarital sex is a big no-no.

That alone should show you the mentality of this poorly scripted and ineptly directed clunker of a movie. Perhaps I should find a silver lining in this cloud. A lesson has finally been learned that a film should not be watched simply because of the cast. Acting professionals obviously have no problem getting attached to projects with no redeeming features. 1/10