IMDb > "American Playhouse" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"American Playhouse" More at IMDbPro »

Long-running, important video/film series on PBS.

Author: Todd Mason
7 June 2002

This occasional series (the HALLMARK HALL OF FAME of PBS, it would appear up to about six or seven times a season over most of its run) was an anthology of original dramatic films and videotaped presentations, many of the films co-productions which might get an art-house run before (or after) appearing as an AP episode (such as SMOOTH TALK and TESTAMENT); others were meant for video presentation, such as the TALES OF THE CITY miniseries or (my favorite) the one-man show THE END OF A SENTENCE, starring Edward Herrmann. AMERICAN PLAYHOUSE head Lindsay Law moved on to Fox Searchlight as the series was winding down, presenting as its last "official" offering a cinema-verite miniseries in the 2000-2001 season.

Purchase information

Author: calvinjerzee from United States
12 October 2007

The American Playhouse presentation of "Seguin" in 1982 was excellent. It was true to life an dwell acted. I used to teach Texas history and wanted to use it for class, but was unable to purchase a copy. Now, I would like to use it to help my students understand point of view in my AP World history classes. This is the only film I am aware of that shows the Texas Revolution from the perspective of the Hispanics who fought and died to stop Santa Anna's dictatorship. It shows that the fighting was not just white v. Hispanic, but political in origin as well. I had tried contacting the station that aired the film (PBS I believe) but was told there was some fight over the ownership of the film. This much later, I hope the argument is settled. Is there any way to purchase this film? Thank you.