Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Excellent version of the outstanding play!

Author: wxzane from Hyrum, Utah
23 April 2000

Joseph is one of the most entertaining of Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice's collaborations. The two musical geniuses pull together humor and musical styles from different time eras and place them together in a fun, entertaining, and humorous play. This version staring Donny Osmond and other highly trained musical actors is a great attempt at bringing the action and excitement of the live stage to film.

It was green and red and yellow and brown and fantastic!

Author: florafairy from Los Angeles
8 April 2000

Filled with gloriously humable tunes, over-the-top staging, and most importantly, a charmingly simple story, "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" is the perfect family musical. Donny Osmond is the consummate Joseph, knowing when to ham it up and when to create a poignant moment. The Narrator, Maria Friedman, is extremely capable, but I got the feeling that she tries very hard not to upstage Donny. The supporting cast is likewise extremely good, from Joan Collins as the sex-crazed Potiphar's Wife to Richard Attenborough as the befuddled Jacob to each individual brother. The chorus also plays a huge role, dancing and singing along to everything from a '60s go-go rock number to the sweet theme song, "Any Dream Will Do." The movie is extremely delightful, and may be one of the best things Andrew Lloyd Webber have written. There has been some concern from conservative parents over the revealing costumes and innuendo in the film, that would make it unsuitable for children. Rest assured, there is no nudity, and the strip scene is short enough for children to miss and long enough for teens to be adequately tiltilated. I have the DVD version, which is both good and bad. The good is the half-hour "Making Of" segment, which contains some very funny and appropriate interviews and outtakes along with a boring part about two British schools putting on the play. The bad part is the sound. It's totally out of whack. It gets quiet and then loud for no apparent reason, sometimes in the same song. I don't know how it is on the video. If you missed seeing this movie on PBS or forgot to tape it (like me) definitely buy it! You will not be disappointed. "Go, go, go Joseph!"

An Absolutely Wonderful Musical !

Author: HenrySarkissian from Los Angeles, California
6 April 2000

What else is left to say in praise of Andrew Lloyd Webber?Three of his shows are played simultaneously on Broadway and in London, and his name is synonymous with current day musicals.

This time he has surpassed himself and this extravaganza with its gorgeous and flashy costumes in the dance scenes,which are really original and eye-popping, take you out of your every day routine and immerse you in complete bliss.

I am to going to watch the tape of this fantastic musical more than once and highly recommend it to one and all.

Great performance

Author: (margaretht@excite.com) from Cuijk, The Netherlands
17 January 2000

I saw the video and I loved it. As I'm getting into the story it looks to me that Donny Osmond IS Joseph. I saw the show on stage in different countries and I have to say they made a wonderful video from it, everything is in it. For me it's just like being back in theatre on the first row. I liked it very much that there were a lot of performers from different "Joseph's".

Wonderful! Highly reccommended.

Author: Joey from United States
26 April 2003

The first time I saw it I didnt care for it but as I watched it again I was very interested. Donny Osmond plays an amazing role as well as all the other cast. I even performed in it so it means so much to me. Wow. I highly reccommend it.

Wow!

Author: Hartmut Stiller from Freiburg, Germany
16 April 2002

Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat is a great

adaption of the former West End Show with a great, funny and

charming Maria Friedman as The Narrator. The film is powerful, colourful and a MUST for every Musical-fan.

Bloody brilliant!!!

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
1 January 2016

I swear to god, I have never in me life ever seen this musical film before. I was only a toddler in 1999 and no one ever mentioned this to me until back in 2013, I was in Lourdes and we were singing away at the songs. Although I hadn't a clue how to sing the lyrics as I haven't heard of the musical before. At the age of 21 in the present, I decided to give this one a definite watch!

By jingo, I was in for a brilliant ride of the songs. Even though there was so many to sing away at, I very much enjoyed throughout! The songs were catchy, Donny Osmond was attractive and of course, the dancing was literally just amazing! They must've done a lot of practices to get all the moves right!

I honestly wish they were able to put this on cinemas instead of being straight onto video because it just is so Fantastic that everyone in the whole world would watch it! I don't think in the future that another movie adaption would be successful as this, it would honestly ruin t it!

I honestly would love to give this more than a 10, I have no other words to describe it, it is specular!

Excellent

Author: MissMellieY from United States
23 January 2006

It astounds me every time I read "when I heard Donny Osmond was playing Joseph I was surprised and shocked because he did a great job." The man has a very powerful singing voice and he did a great job in the role. Of all the men who have played Joseph on stage, Donny comes the closest to actually identifying with the role. Not only for the reasons of religion but because of his place in the scheme of his family's celebrity. He was the one singled out and it must have been hard on the rest of the brothers who had a lot of talent as well. I have to wonder if he wasn't well acquainted with dealing with underlying jealousy. The rest of the cast was great, with the exception of Joan Collins. I realize that she was there to be a seductress but she really didn't do that well and seemed extremely out of place.

I really enjoyed the production on the whole and even Joan didn't ruin it. Donny has aged VERY well...and even more important, so has his voice.

Very nice musical, if you don't mind the mixed genres.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
5 September 2002

On DVD from my local library comes "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." I've always liked Donny Osmond and his sis, after all they started out as "Barbershoppers", and he does a remarkable job here. He should, he played the part on stage for 5 years and about 1800 performances. The lady who sang the narrator's role was also remarkably good. As were all the other actors.

However, as good as it is, I was mostly disappointed overall. First off, the title and box cover leads one to believe the "technicolor dreamcoat" has a larger role, is more significant, but it in fact just becomes the coat that his brothers envy. Second, whereas "whimsy" plays an important part of many of Webber's musicals, like "Cats" and "Starlight Express", it seems out of place in such a story as the Old Testament account of Jacob and his 11th son, Joseph. The Elvis impersonator, the "western" number, the "calypso" number. Not to mention the girls in skin-tight and skin-colored leotards that made them look naked under the netting. While great to look at, to me it seems inappropriate for this story.

Great Fun! Toe-Tapping Delight

Author: Robert J. Carlson (royhobbs@genevaonline.com) from Wisconsin
23 May 2000

Having seen this on the stage no less than 4 times (each time in Chicago with Donny), I was worried that I would be disappointed in the transfer to film. Not only was I not disappointed, but I found it a very wonderful and faithful filming of the stage musical. For those who have seen it, Donny IS the commsummate Joseph. His passion in the role, his voice- it's the total package! I loved Attenborough as Jacob, especially when he sings (in chorus) at the end! I was disappointed in the Narrator, Maria Friedman, just a bit. But then again, I am spoiled by Janet Metz (does anyone know what she's doing now? send me an e-mail). Secondly, no one does the Pharoah like Johnny Seaton! Nonetheless, rent it or buy it, it's wonderful fun!!!

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]