Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

What can I say but WOW!

Author: musicalfan from Philippines
20 August 2003

It may seem like a "just for kids" kind of show but I watch this one over and over again.

I can't say anything negative about Donny Osmond. His vocal power and his acting ability will just take you away. I've never been a fan of his work (except for one 'cause I must say he also did a great job as Shang's singing voice in Mulan) and even after watching this I still didn't go out and buy his album, but I really have to say I was so impressed with his performance here. These are my thoughts about Donny Osmond: he does a really incredible job when he sings songs for a role because he really adds passion to it(as you can also see in Mulan) but I'm not convinced when he just sings songs for an album.

Marie Friedman did a swell job as the narrator. Though she sometimes has trouble reaching her high notes, she has a powerful voice. She and Donny suit each other well. The other Narrators I've heard had tiny but irritating voices.

The over-all production was really cartoon-y, but it was great! It's a show that the whole family can watch. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Fun, Entertaining and Amazing in every way

Author: mizfil from New Haven, CT 06511
28 May 2004

I am, for the most, a fan of musicals. I am trying to see them all before I die and so far this is one of the best I have ever seen. I have read some of the negative reviews written by other viewers and I strongly disagree with them. I thought that having Donny Osmond as the lead was genius. I thought that in a lot of ways Donny was making fun of his own "clean cut" image. I thought that was a cool way to approach the role. Donny Osmond was a good choice for the part because he is well known for having strong religious and family ties and for being a goody two shoes(this is why I thought he was making fun of his clean cut image.) He is one of those few people who sticks to his principals and hasn't been caught doing stupid things to prove he is not what he seems. He is also very attractive and well-sculpted. The men who played Joseph's brothers were musically talented and seem like they were having a great time. The chemistry between was cast was obviously excellent. Mary Friedman didn't have a bad angle and what a voice. She was fun to watch and was obviously having fun. The Benjamin number at the end was one of my favorites. Joan Collins proved that she has a sense of humor. I don't think that this DVD is for everyone--only for people who have a sense of humor and appreciate talented people. My only two criticism are: I didn't like when the Narrator walked in dropped the bible and kicked it--even if it was by accident. I thought that showed disrespect. If they wanted to show she was clumsy they could have her trip over air. I also thought that the scene with the Joan Collins character where more suggestive than I can allow even my 10 year old to see. Ironically, those scenes with Joan Collins character trying to corrupt him were excellent because his innocence was believable. I was one of those people who used to watch Donnie and Marie faithfully, but after their show was cancelled I didn't hear much of them. I am glad to see that Donny is still working and that he has turned out so well with a beautiful wife and several children. Go Donny, Go. You are blessed and many of us are happy to see that you still got it.

Really good

Author: marazion1010 from United Kingdom
23 December 2006

I must say how I was very surprised at how good this show actually was. I have seen it many times on the stage so thought that the video would not be very good at all. However, I was really pleased with the entire thing. The characters were just as good as on the stage and Donny Osmond fitted the part perfectly, another thing I was adamant about at first being a strong Jason Donovan supporter!! Donny did a good job. As for the special guest Joan Collins, I only wished she toured with the stage show! She was good at the small part she played and it was a shock to see her there. Fantastic. It was also very good at how they made the show so that it was like a school production type of thing. Great idea that worked well in my opinion. It is a must-see for any musical fan and a definite must have for a Donny fan. He is gorgeous in it!

Author: Joc Seip (bossie_jocie@hotmail.com) from Australia
22 April 2006

Excellent movie! I'm 14 and hadn't seen it, i got it out one day and watched it, and loved it! Donny Osmond and Maria Friedman are perfect! they perform it so well! my personal favorite song is the coat of many colors! the singing is perfect (did you know that maria Friedman was reading the colors off a sheet) and my other favorite is the Pharaoh's song the brother and Jacob are wicked! great movie, great costumes, great props, great scenery!..i recommend it to everyone who likes Andrew Lloyd Webber's works such as Cats, Evita, Jesus Christ superstar and Phantom of the Opera! even kids will love it!!

*****/5 stars!

Wonderful everything!

Author: cgflames from United States
10 February 2006

First I'll admit I am a huge Osmond fan, doesn't matter which one, I just am (and always have been). Second, this is the best Broadway musical I have personally seen, I am sure there are a lot more shows out there that are better, I just haven't seen them yet.

The costumes, music, voices and dancers are all so perfectly chosen for this film. I was amazed when I first watched it. The story is quite close to the Bible story, without going into too much detail. I love the use of many of the actors as multiple characters.

I knew this movie was a hit when I showed it to my husband, daughter and son and all three loved it immediately. It also helps, for those of you who may not like the Osmonds, to know that when Donny auditioned for this part, Andrew Lloyd Weber asked him where he has been all this time. Andrew personally chose Donny to take on the film role. From what I understand there were several well seasoned former Joseph's who could have done this role, but Andrew wanted Donny.

A good musical that has some problems translated to video but is still fun and enjoyable

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
9 January 2006

Joseph is Jacob's favourite son – something that his brothers don't like at all. They conspire to throw him down a well before selling him into slavery and returning with his coat covered in animal blood, with stories of a tragic accident for their father. Joseph ends up in Egypt serving the wealthy Potiphar. His hard work makes him popular with his master and he is soon head of the slaves; unfortunately this brings him to the attention of Mrs Potiphar – a lush and a floozy if there ever was one. When Joseph rejects her advances, she claims rape and Joseph finds himself in jail where at least his gift for dream interpretation is useful to some of his fellow inmates. Meanwhile Pharaoh himself is plagued with strange visions while he sleeps.

Like the majority of people, I've never been to a Broadway show and would rarely have the time, money or interest to go to see one. So for the majority of us this film will be a good opportunity to see a stage musical on the small screen but still keeping all the things that such experiences bring over a standard film musical. The nature of the songs are well brought out in an attempt to recreate the original version put on at the London Palladium and hence the film plays as if it were going to an audience rather than to a camera. This makes for a strange film because such action is not easy to film and you can see director Mallet trying to show the sweep of action on stage while also delivering close-ups and focus. This produces some strange cuts but mainly the close-ups work while you do still get the flavour of the stage show.

With this in mind it very much depends on whether or not you like the musical in particular and the musical experience in general because the fact that this has been filmed hasn't added anything in particular to justify the media. As I do like Joseph, I found it to be a fun and lively version that has imaginative sets and costumes, a good sense of humour and of course generally enjoyable and catchy songs. The cast are roundly very good, made up of a large number of people who have done this on the stage already. Everyone does that musical thing where everyone seems to be greatly enjoying themselves, which really helps add to the charm of the film for the audience. Osmond is a great Joseph and he leads the film well from that character, however for me he was not the star of the show. The majority of the pressure is on the narrator to deliver and Maria Friedman is really strong throughout the film. The support cast throws up a few famous faces such as Biggins, Attenborough and Collins and they do well but generally the "unknowns" are just as good and I enjoyed performances from Torti, Jennings and the brothers.

Overall this is not great cinema but it is an enjoyable musical that effectively captures the lively and fun nature of the show. The cast are all into it and the songs are almost all catchy and memorable. Well worth seeing if you have never been to a big musical.

A Must See for Donny Fans and Non Donny Fans!!

Author: fawny007 from New Hampshire
9 August 2002

This is amazing! It combines Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's amazing musical with Donald Clark Osmond's fantastic voice. The show is a collection of lights, music, talent, dancing, and excitement. Donny Osmond is the perfect choice for Joseph since the role requires a wide range of emotions, and the music demands someone with an excellent voice. "Close Every Door" can bring tears to your eyes. For anyone who has ever doubted Donny Osmond's tremendous talent, this is a MUST SEE. And for those who already appreciate his work, this is a MUST SEE. And for those who love the musical anyway, this is a MUST SEE.

Two thumbs up

Author: snickey from North Carolina
2 March 2002

This is a wonderful film. The music is very catchy. There are plenty of humorous spots throughout. There are a few scenes where the women's costumes are on the suggestive side but there is no nudity. Donny Osmond and Maria Friedman are a wonderful duo.

Amazing!

Author: pian0gir1 from Lynchburg, VA
19 December 2001

This is perhaps one of the best musicals out there! It has every type of music you could like and Donny Osmond stepped out of his beach party to do a surprisingly good job. The only problem I have with this musical is the negligence to mention God anywhere(after all, He was the one to give Joseph his talent in the first place); not outright, anyway. A great one to rent and watch!

What a delightful treat!

Author: LvrChil from US
4 August 2001

"Joseph..." was my first encounter with music of A.L.Webber. When I got the video, my two kids and I watched it every day for two weeks straight, humming the tunes in between viewings. That video was like a beautiful puzzle that perfectly fit together: memorable music, witty lyrics, excellent performers, colorful sets, and great choreography. I couldn't get enough of the fun and beauty that was happening on the screen. Maria Friedman is just perfect! I hope to see more of her in the future on screen, big and small. The idea to set the performance in school is delightful, it gives everyone a chance not to take themselves seriously. I have only two little complaints. During dance numbers there were too many camera angle changes and too many close-ups, that spoiled the pleasure of viewing the whole scene. And as much as I loved the presence of children, I think they were a bit over-used. And they were totally unnecessary, in my opinion, in the "stairs to Pharaoh's head" scene. This is the only time where Maria Friedman looks uncomfortable and seems not to know what to do. Otherwise the video is great. I give it a 10!

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]