IMDb > Scary Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scary Movie

Scary Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 90: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Funny and Shameless

Author: Jonathan C
14 May 2016

Scary Movie is a parody of the teenage slasher genre, and luckily a very funny parody indeed. Keenan Ivory Wayans is the mastermind, and he has assembled a fairly standard group of teenagers and a psychopath, and gives them the opportunity to completely spoof the slasher genre. The "plot," such as it is, happens as a result of the teenagers out cruising with much hard alcohol accidentally hit someone, mistake him for dead, and then accidentally kill him when they throw his body into the bay to dispose of it. We suspect that somehow the victim rose from the dead or recovered to be the psychopath, but we are never quite sure. The psychopath, with a bunch of hilarious changeable masks out of the Scream movies, attempts to kill all the teens, but has some misadventures along the way.

This movie is completely shameless, and anyone with a sense of decency should be warned. If you do not mind this issue, however, the movie has some great laughs. One scene that sticks out in my mind pretty much encapsulates this movie's strategy: at one point, the killer opens the door on a bunch of teenage boys who are watching TV and smoking ridiculous amounts of pot. They are completely helpless and about to get slaughtered when one of them has the presence of mind to offer the killer a smoke. After a few puffs, everyone starts laughing hysterically together, and then they all decide to start making threatening phone calls to potential victims (giggling all the time). The scene has an ironic ending that I will not give away for fear of tripping the spoiler alert.

The killer has lots of moments where things don't go right and you think, man, it is tough to be psychopath. The teenagers are a study in human superficiality and often seem to preoccupied with their own issues to notice that they are slowly being sliced and diced. The sight gags are quite good and their are some legit surprises that keep you guessing. All in all, it is an hour and a half of quite effective tasteless entertainment.

Funny and Shameless

Author: Jonathan C
14 May 2016

Not the worst of the spoof genre but not too great

Author: Rickting from London
26 March 2016

Scary Movie is probably the first of all these '(Insert here) Movie' spoofs which usually mock a certain genre with a bunch of gags so inept, so pathetically juvenile and so harrowingly unfunny that if they weren't also vulgar and offensive they could have been written by a class of 5 year olds. This is one of the first in the notoriously unsuccessful spoof genre. But, believe it or not, this one is perfectly OK. The jokes are hit and miss, but when they hit they are genuinely funny. The film feels considerably less desperate than many spoofs and is (slightly) less juvenile. It's extremely low and earns its 18 certificate with ease, but the vulgarity isn't always completely mirthless. It is offensive, but manages not to overstep the line. It is admittedly quite funny at times. The reason why my rating isn't higher is because not all of the jokes work, it can be very annoying and leans too heavily on crude jokes. The thing which really irritates me about Scary Movie is its spoofing of Scream, which was itself a parody. This is not the level of The Naked Gun, which is my favourite comedy ever, or Airplane, and does run out of gas before the end but this represents a partially successful parody of horror movies which at the very least is funny sporadically and is miles better than the cinematic wasteland of Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans.

Wazzup?...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
11 February 2016

"Scary Movie" is a funny spoof, for sure. But it is not the best of all the "Scary Movies" in the franchise. That being said, don't get me wrong here, because this movie is fun and entertaining, especially so if you enjoy comedies that is a spoof on other movies.

"Scary Movie" does have an overall storyline, which is very similar to the storyline found in "Scream", although elements from other famous movies are thrown into the mixture to spice it up. And it does work out quite nicely.

The list of movies and TV series that are being spoofed is just great. I didn't catch all of these spoofs and references, not by a long shot. And if you enjoy spoof comedies, then you should check out those listed under the "Connections" heading and then "Spoofs".

The laughs are bountiful throughout "Scary Movie" and the comedy is really great. It was right up my alley, so I was really amused by the comedy throughout this movie.

The cast list in "Scary Movie" was also quite good, and those cast for the roles were all doing good jobs and individually brought something unique and nice to the movie. And this really lifted up the movie quite a bit.

And "Scary Movie" is also the movie that brought the 'wazzup?' thing and made it popular.

"Scary Movie" is entertaining and funny, although you must like spoofs in order to really appreciate this movie (or the franchise as such).

Redefined Spoofs.

Author: powermandan from Canada
17 September 2015

Parody movies have been around for decades. Mel Brooks was very well known for making fun of various movies such as Star Wars by creating Space Balls. Just as the style began to become stale, Scary Movie enters the scene and pushes new boundaries, making it the movie that changed the way movies make fun of others.

Scary Movie was actually the original name of Scream. Scream redefined horror by ridding the typical horror clichés that made them mindless. Scream had substance and brains. Keenan Ivory Wayans successfully keeps the substance and brain of Scream and takes the smarts of other movies to make one big laugh fest. The two main movies is parodies are Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. It also includes Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, The Matrix, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Dawson's Creek among others. Most spoof movies these days to atrocious jobs of putting various things together. Movies like Disaster Movie and Epic Movie throw in random things just because they can. Scary Movie uses a solid bases and similar things that flow together. Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer are both teen horror movies that deal with a killer whom they try to find out his identity. Dawson's Creek is a high school drama, and that vibe could easily fit in with the horrors. Basically, this movie masters thrown-in humour: very difficult thing to do.

As I mentioned, the basis of the movie combines Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.The characters are made fun of in truly hilarious ways and some characters are redone to be more funny. In Scream, David Arquette is a rookie cop, and his "other" in is a retarded officer named Doofy. They really did an excellent job of bending his character. Then there's Shawn Wayans who plays a seemingly gay character who is so funny. There were no hints of homosexuality of the other movies, but Shawn works well. In fact, each of our main characters are well-developed and hilarious.

The movie works on so many levels, mainly the comedy. I laugh so hard every time I watch this. This pushed the boundaries for R-rated comedies. Since Scary Movie's release in 2000, every teen comedy tries to emulate this with most fail and none coming close.

Lighten up and enjoy it

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
6 August 2015

With all the various teen horrors's of the 90's and early 2000's, what else is better than to completely lampoon them in ridiculous style. Coming from a comedy styling much like that of films such as "Airplane" and "Naked Gun" but much more crude, comes Scary Movie, with it's jokes that are completely insane and plot that well, doesn't really make sense a lot of the time. I thought before I watched this that it looked like a movie I simply wouldn't like, but it surprised me, it is far far from perfect but still, a funny movie.

It's all based around the fact the our main characters killed a man a year before and someone is out to get them all, but who?. Of course the story is just a rip off of "Scream" but that is the whole point, in fact at various times throughout it is alluded to. The narrative plays out like a child had tried to write a film but then some guys called the Wayans brothers came in and added some rude joke to the pot, oh and on that point about pot, well watch it and you'll see what I mean.

The cast has people such as Anna Faris, Jon Abrahams, Shannon Elizabeth and of course Marlon Wayans and Shawn Wayans who all could of destroyed their careers here. I did though enjoy the cast, they mix the right amount of humour into the bad acting that when by the end, you don't know if they couldn't act or not. One of my favourite characters from this is Shorty played by Marlon Wayans who's stoner comedy is hilarious and makes some scenes truly laugh out loud. And on the point of laugh out loud moments, the scream masked murderer is hilarious, watch out for when their mask changes facial expressions, just very funny.

That all said about the jokes, the film can be near hit and miss. It is true probably that this is way too crude and stupid to be OK but I felt it is, it's enjoyable, doesn't overstay it's welcome and as mentioned before, can have laugh out loud moments too. Sure the Wayans don't always make the best decisions in film and when your film has Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer co writing it, you may expect your movie's reputation to drop really low. A thing I think the Wayans do well here though is mix the crude with genuine jokes, not only is it a good parody of slasher movies, but can turn serious moments into hilarious ones in a second.

Now who might like this movie, well of course this is right up some people's street when it comes to comedy, it's the kind of movie where you might expect a critic to recommend this to teens. The truth is though that teens or well maybe people who were teens when all these horror movies were around, will really enjoy it and probably laugh(well at least I hope as if you don't laugh at this there isn't much else to enjoy). Don't just watch this like you expect it to be bad, give it a go and like me you might be surprised how funny you found it.

Overall a movie I personally found kind of OK, maybe wrestled with my thoughts a little as to whether it was pretty so-so but I think all in all it is funny enough to be mostly positive stuff. Wouldn't really say people who consider themselves "connoisseurs" of fine comedy would enjoy this but to the hell with most comedy, this is stupid enough to be fun to watch.

Scary How Funny It Is.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
29 July 2015

Scary Movie (2000): Dir: Keenan Ivory Wayans / Cast: Anna Faris, Jon Abrahams, Shannon Elizabeth, Shawn Wayans, Kurt Fuller: Hilariously crude comedy that sets out to spoof the slasher film sub genre particularly Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. The title is a mockery suggesting the extreme vulgarity within the humour with jokes like the ear-tickling penis scene or the testicles that hang just below the skirt of an unshaven gym teacher. Director Keenan Ivory Wayans proves that he knows the genre and is backed with a terrific resembling production. Anna Faris plays the heroine who receives ominous phone calls. Jon Abrahams plays her moron boyfriend accused of murder. Shannon Elizabeth plays pageant winner in a role highlighted by Sarah Michelle Gellar in I Know What You Did Last Summer. She is even named Buffy like the famed character whom Gellar portrayed in a popular TV show. Carmen Electra exploits every flaw made by horror heroines in the film's hilarious opening scene. Shawn Wayans earns a few laughs as a flamboyant homosexual character who seems to say the wrong things. Kurt Fuller is hilarious as a police captain low on empathy and high on showing pictures unrelated to the case. The ending is a tremendous Scream reference only it goes the extra mile that has Faris screaming at the heavens. Vulgar but very clever and…scary. Score: 8 / 10

I see dead people.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
3 February 2011

Cindy Campbell, Bobby Prinze, Buffy Gilmore, Greg Phillipe, Ray Wilkins, and Brenda Meeks - are being stalked by a serial killer.

A serial killer that is after them because of an accident that they caused last Halloween.

A serial killer that seems to have come out of every other scary movie. The body count has already started with Drew Decker, the local town slut, and it's starting to build up.

The friends are going to have to escape from both the killer's clutches and annoying news reporter Gail Hailstorm if they plan on living....

Coming out barely a few months after the last Scream movie, this is a very topical spoof, which thanks most of it's success to the film being released at the right time.

There hadn't been a spoof (or a high profile one for almost seven years)released for the masses.

The film apes most of the horror films released in the previous four years, but the most recognisable are Scream, and IKWYDLS.

As always, these films are very hit and miss, and a lot of the jokes are a miss unfortunately, but it is still good for what it is.

I could complain and say that the film is a little too immature for it's own good, but then this is what it's supposed to be isn't it? not a clever spoof? Maybe i was expecting too much for the latter

A good one-night-laugh

Author: kirk.wagstaff from Manchester, England
3 October 2001

It's true that times change. Porky's made quite a stir within the media decades back, a crude `teen' film which was offensive back in those days and was covered with sexual references from top to bottom. In the late 90's, other movies came along which were being classed as `The Porky's of the 90's', such as American Pie, There's Something About Mary etc... These, while tastless still, vanished without a trace. In 2000, a horror movie spoof named Scary Movie arrived. Had this movie been released ten years ago, the broadcasting standards would have banned this movie outright.

The Internet is now making people more accustomed to the likes of delicate subjects. Sex is commonplace, offends very few now. Your average teen has probably had so much sex they can relate to this easily. This film is Porky's multiplied by ten. This spoof analyses the slasher movie, from Friday the 13th to modern day `classics' such as Scream, and basically points and laughs.

The Wayans Bros want us to be offended. Luckily, your writer has seen enough of this type of film to be offended. This film is intentionally crude, silly, and outrageous. And in the process it also makes you realise the fine line between memorable films and forgettable ones. Scary Movie is a film to watch with friends, have a laugh at, then leave. It has been no less then 24 hours from me enjoying the films humour, and I've forgotten most of what happens already. Now, take a classic like John Carpenter's `The Thing'. I saw this movie many years ago, and I can still remember everything about it. The only thing that sticks in my mind on view of this film is the hordes of teenage audiences, they are the ones that will truly enjoy this film. This is their genre. Sad as it is, promiscuity, oral sex, excessive alcohol, dope smoking and anti-gay stance is everything they can relate to. Funny as your writer sounds, your writer is 19 too – this film was merely a step over the neighbours fence.

More disturbing is the fact that someone here pointed out, anyone in the United States can get into the cinema to see this. The sad truth of what is happening today in society. Although I believe censorship should be there, since parents today aren't capable of looking after their children enough to know what influence films can have.

This film marks the overdue burial of the slasher movie. So predictable, Scary Movie stands firmly on the dying body of all things Friday The 13th, Halloween, and (god forbid) Leprechaun.

God, after this my stomach hurted as hell!

Author: Vasco Cid from Lisbon, Portugal
18 September 2001

The Best: The non stop laughs, makes us think where in the world did this guys got this ideas…… The Worst: Few jokes are somehow superficial and don't stand side by side with the rest. The movie had so little minutes of life….. Rating: 8/10

This is a non merciful satiric comedy that parodies the teenage horror movies that came crumbling after the excellent Scream that serves as a model started after a bunch a murders of teenagers committed by a ghost face killer. Soon an arrogant journalist starts covering the story which starts worrying a high school girl that asks herself if the killer is the same man she and her friends killed last summer on Halloween.

The plot parodies not only the Scream trilogy, but strikes as well movies like `I Know What You Did Last Summer', `Titanic', `Sixth Sense', `The Usual Suspects', `The Blair Witch Project', `Matrix' among others with successful or unsuccessful results. Keenan Ivory Wayans' directing is neither subtle nor elegant, but wasn't meant to, as the movie doesn't ask for it, it's mission is to show in our face violently or unviolently the comedy Matrix, that succeeds its mission. The gags are so enormous and compulsive that the big majority strike the point as few other don't which isn't a big problem because this movie is a princess compared to other American comedy movies that are it's slaves.

Don't by any chance lose this film, see it and you'll consider your money and time, very well spent.