IMDb > Scary Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scary Movie

Scary Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 90: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Quite good - Actually

Author: Faisal-5 (fjeddy@usa.net) from USA
16 July 2000

I went to see "Scary Movie" with not a lot of expectation. The reviews were mixed, although the movie had grabbed the most $$$ in the opening weekend. I had seen the trailer and it was not too tempting either. Still, curiosity got the best of me. And believe me, the movie is not that bad. Just try and avoid taking your parents with you, or for that matter, your kids. Some of the stuff is really gross... I mean REALLY REALLY gross.

As it is a spoof, so don't expect any coherent story-line or plot, although the movie generally tags along the line of IKWYDLS, in between, several other ideas are thrown in. "The Sixth Sense" bit ("I See Dead People") was added, probably at the last minute, therefore it was totally disconected.

The first scene of the movie, Carmen, running around in her underwear, was classic stuff. Just like any James Bond movie, the first scene HAD no relevance to the rest of the movie :-)

Then the story picked up, when it started following the IKWYDLS routine, with several really interesting spoofs. The bit where the Cameron Diaz-like cum scene was created, was overdone. So was the gut-wretching male orgasm. It made the audience go wild, nevertheless. The grosser the better, it seems.

The bit, which was picked up from "The Matrix" was surreal, but then the whole movie was surreal. The end of the movie made a mockery of the tag line "... No Sequel". Interesting Stuff.

All in all, a couple of hours worth spent, with genuine laughs and some really wild scenes. Worth it. I'd give it an 8.5 anytime.

Vintage In Living Color

Author: (lordmosley) from oxford, mississippi
15 July 2000

If you think you didn't get your money's worth seeing the film, you completely wasted your time. I saw the movie two consecutive times and enjoyed every minute of it. If you didn't like the FOX TV comedy series IN LIVING COLOR, just don't see it. I'm glad that the movie did outstanding for the first week(highest box office gross for an R-rated comedy in history). Go to SCARY MOVIE and laugh your butt off and have a good time. Otherwise, stay home.

I liked it I dunno what's wrong w/you peeps but it's funny!!!!!

Author: Maeghan(aka Chibi Chibi Moon Princess) from Spring Grove, IL
14 July 2000

I saw it on Tuesday and I thought it was as funny as heck. Everybody is saying it's a bad bad movie and they think it's racist and they rip on women. Well I'm a girl and I thought it was funny not sickening or predgidous. Although I do have to admit the sex scene and bathroom scene and the Gym teacher parts were grotesque. So if you're not going to see it because you dont wanna see gross stuff just close your eyes on those parts the rest is fine. It was good though I wouldn't recommend it to NE one under the age of 11. This is a parody of alot a movies, Scream Series, Sixth Sense, I know what you did series, Halloween H20(Buffy dragging on the ground after leg incident),Blair Witch, Matrix and Usual Suspects. So if you've seen all of these movies you can quickly recognize some funny s**t. AS to the reference it was racist the only part I thought was even border line but definitely was not racist is when the news guy goes "White folks are dead we gettin the f*** outa here" and Shorty(Waynes) is a druggie but there's white guys right there next to him smokin pot. Overall I think it was a funny movie and that R was a fair rating. So go see it!

Funniest Movie

Author: David James Socher (dsocher@netzero.net) from Baltimore, Maryland
12 July 2000

This Got to be one of the Funniest Movies I have seen in a long long time, I don't usually laugh out loud at a movie, but this movie had me in tears, I was buckled over with tears in my eyes, laugh my butt off..... you have to go see this movie... I am still laughing now....

Nobody does it better than the Wayans

Author: circe925 from Queens, NY
12 July 2000

First of all, you need to be a horror movie fan to see this movie. You also need to be an avid movie goer to really enjoy the gags. Similar to their homage to the urban films in Don't Be A Menace in South Central..., they didn't hold back on any of their sight gags. You can't try to analyze this movie too much or you'll miss the humor. It's a fun flick. I definitely need to see it again because I missed some dialogue from laughing too hard (along with the other audience members). Absolutely loved it.

omg...Hillarious

Author: Damion-3 (damion@asia.com) from Orange County, CA
9 July 2000

This is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen. I cracked up so many times at the jokes (hopefully you've seen the earlier movies like Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, etc so you know what the jokes are making fun of).

But yes, it's true, it's probably the most vulgar movie I've ever seen in a theatre. Seriously, if this isn't rated NC-17, what is? Oh well. The laughs are so good that I really don't care anymore :) But this is definitely not a family movie or something you bring your kids/parents (however the case may be) to.

10/10 for the humor

Haven't laughed so hard for years!

Author: timmid from Los Angeles, CA
9 July 2000

Funny, with better, more original writing than any spoof or other comedy I remember. First rate entertainment which keeps giving surprises which had me (and most of the audience) laughing out loud. Keenan Wayans (director) should be feeling on top of the world!!

I love thriller/horror flicks, this one rocks!

Author: Alex Bledsoe from Michigan
9 July 2000

This movie was excellent. I am 13 and loved it. I am the biggest Scream fan i know of in my small little town here. I loved Scary Movie because of its humor. not one part in the movie did i hear silence in the movie theatre. Not to mention, i had to go to 3 movie theatres just to see it at 10:30 at night. The first two were sold out that morning! This movie was expected to be good, and it was good. I loved it, i am going to add this one to our familys DVD collection!

I absolutely loved this movie

Author: Kenny-36 from Long Beach, Ca
9 July 2000

My wife and I and a friend went to this movie the day after it opened in the Long Beach area. I do wish it was rated NC17 as we took our 13 year old girls. Had we known there were pictures and references to male anatomy we wouldn't have taken them. But that was the only reason we wouldn't have taken them. Some of the jokes were ongoing, like the joke about a main character being gay, but it was done in such a way that we thought it was funny and kept getting funnier. The Irish jig that was referred to was from River Dance, which was a bit also done in Wrongfully Accused starring Leslie Nielsen. I would definitely recommend anyone that loves comedy/parody to see this, but would also caution taking young children. And to set the record straight I'm a 45 year old and my wife is 53 and we both enjoyed it very much. When it comes out on video we will be purchasing it.

They couldn't have done it much better....

Author: loki564 from Augusta, Kentucky
9 July 2000

Way back in the early 80s, when Airplane and the like films came out, they had no intention of having a plot, and Scary Movie remembers that. What we do get is a no holds barred parody of the recent rash of teen horror flick that have come out in the last few years. Scream, The Sixth Sense, I Know What you did Last Summer, and the Matrix among others all are given an ol' punch in the guts through this film. The plot, which is very thin, is used only to keep the gags running along. But who cares? This film is very much aware it is a movie, and takes good advantage of it, with the gags coming along a mile a minute. Scary Movie is meant to be silly, and it pulls more jokes off more than it misses. I found myself laughing heartily at this film, along with the majority of theater. From the amazingly hilarious opening sequence, which features the ravishingly beautiful Carmen Electra, to it's subtle gags involving the facial expressions of the killer's mask, Scary Movie is non-stop laughter from the beginning to the end. Parent's beware, how this movie avoided the NC17 rating, I'll never know, and frankly I don't care. Well worth the price of admission at any cost!!!!