IMDb > Scary Movie (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 90:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Hilarious! Comical! GREAT!!!

Author: Chad Kinnair from United Kingdom
26 October 2010

What a movie..... Scary movie! The reason why I loved this film is because it was just so unreal and funny.... If you have read some of my reviews then you will already know I love comedy horrors and this one is definitely a favourite. I love how the Creator's of scream are taking the pee out of there own movie, that makes it HILARIOUS! When I saw this film about 2 years ago on TV I had to buy it, it was just hilarious, cool and very very crude. The humour of the characters is brilliant and the Scream guy is really cool, some of the deaths do actually make you get goosebumps, especially when she has her head cut of in the changing rooms and she is still talking, which is so goose-bump...y and funny. You will have to have a slapstick sense of humour to view this film otherwise you'll probably hate it....

The funniest movie ever made.

Author: videofreak2002 from Walbridge, Ohio
29 June 2001

I think "Scary Movie" is the best comedy movie ever made of all time. This movie made me laugh from beginning till the end. I love it because the Wayans brothers. They made a really funny movie. It was better than "Don't Be A Menace..." I would definitely recommend this movie that enjoys a good laugh.

A+ ******stars(out of ******) 100/100

Deeply unfunny horror spoof

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
11 December 2016

Halfway through this film I was praying for something subtle and witty to happen. Praying that we wouldn't get another joke which was easy to spot a mile off. Hoping beyond hope that I would find something to actually laugh at. Unfortunately, there isn't a single funny moment in SCARY MOVIE. There are a couple of mildly amusing parodies and in-jokes but otherwise, this film sits in the barren wasteland of humour. That ultimate failure: a comedy that just isn't funny.

It's obvious which audience the makers of this film were aiming at: the teen market. Thus, we have a movie whose jokes fall into two categories: the parody, and the crude. By crude I mean jokes which are extremely obvious in nature and lack both wit and sophistication - somebody getting hit by a car is an example of this (so hilariously funny that they do the same joke twice). In the right context these jokes can sometimes work (take THE NAKED GUN trilogy for example), but here they fall flat. And, to make matters worse, many of the jokes are of the explicit sexual nature which have been depressingly filling the movies as of late. Do they make me laugh? No, they just make me sigh.

The parodies should have worked, by all accounts. A fight between the heroine and the killer is done in slow-mo, to remind us of THE MATRIX. Yet even infallible jokes such as these somehow fall flat - perhaps because they were all used up in the film's trailer, so that we simply spend our time waiting for them to show up. They fly by thick and fast, references to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, THE SIXTH SENSE, and many more, but they consistently fail to provoke laughs. The film's ending is ripped off from THE USUAL SUSPECTS, but incredibly this is played seriously - a cop out for sure. A cameo from DAWSON'S CREEK star James Van Der Beek is unexpected and successful, so perhaps more cameos would have helped.

The one funny scene in this film has Cindy (Anna Faris) stalked by a mask-wearing murderer up a flight of stairs. She grabs anything at hand to throw at him, and the items become more and more ludicrous - beginning with a vase, moving on to a bicycle, an old woman, and finally a piano. Yet for one genuinely amusing moment, there are a hundred more painfully bad ones. For fans with bad taste only, this is guaranteed to offend everyone else - as witnessed after I watched other audience members walk out of the cinema I was in as this was playing.

The best of the franchise really

Author: Kolby Trosclair from Br, LA
24 July 2016

Great, acting by Anna Ferris and also it's funny really funny. Almost every part made me laugh, I wish the rest of the sequels can do that. Parody or spoof of I know what you did last summer and scream 1 and 2. I mean this movie does not deserve a mixed review or 6.2 based on franchise meaning it deserves a 7.6 or a very positive review. In this movie has very famous actors and actresses. Shawn Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Nia Long, Anna Ferris, and Carmen Electra. With also the deceased Prince playing a small role in the movie. Of course the movie has references to the deaths and in the ending every one is revived no one is dead really. A scene I really adored was the scene of Buffy setting murdered. It basically shows the clichés in horror films today. It really makes a great debut for a film.

Where's the world coming to?

Author: Tasos Tz. from London, England
27 April 2001

I am so sorry to hear people say that the movie is funny. I believe that Scary Movie could be funny to people that were locked in a library for 30 years with no one else to talk to and suddenly someone played it to them. The jokes are unintelligent, the acting is terrible (like in most of Wayans' movies) and what comes out is a sense of rudeness to the audience. Toilet ans sex jokes at their worst, plus a joke about Usual Suspects that originally appeared in Wrongfully Accused. Now that I mentioned it, did you know that in contrast to this super-production the hilarious 'Wrongfully Accused' was filmed in only 5 days? (there's even a very good I have to say, recreation of the Matrix visual fx in a scene of Scary Movie). Of course W.A. was created by veterans and in a parody no one really cares about the visuals; what really matters is the jokes. And these jokes are like the jokes you hear in a classroom during a Physics class. Awful!

AWESOME!

Author: thesinisterbulk from Inverloch, Victoria, Australia
31 March 2001

This movie can go a little bit too far...and then even further! SO WATCH OUT! The Wayans brothers put in a lot of effort into this Bizarre, Hilarious (YET SOMETIMES CRUDE, UNFUNNY, SILLY AND MAYBE EVEN RACIST) Take off of teen horror films (mainly scream!) Watch it with care, but it does need a little work on humour! Funny stuff, and watch the very end of the credits to see Doofy and his vacuum cleaner! THAT WAS A *SPOILER* SORRY! **/*** ONE WORD~AWESOME! Too Bad I am hearing rumours that the sequel is really, really BAD!

I'm sorry. Was I supposed to laugh?

Author: SanderStrijbos from Reuver, Holland
11 March 2001

Friends told me this was the funniest film they've seen in years and normally I take their recommendations serious. Let me tell you one thing: SCARY MOVIE is a waste of time. You can do better things in 90 minutes. Only two times I had to smile and that was during the Amistad II scene and during the scene in which Cindy's father says he has to disappear for a while for 'uncle Escobar'. I didn't laugh, I only smiled. These films are made for laughing your heart out. The only moment I really laughed was when the end credits started rolling. What a relief!! The end of this piece of s**t.

In the movie a character says people stopped the TV show The Wayan Brothers. Looking through the credits I see that the Wayan Brothers are responsible for this and I wonder: Why is he surprised that they stopped the TV show???

I still have some questions: Who gave the green light for this one? Who had the power to cancel it? Can't this small army of writers come up with one single FUNNY joke? And, last but not least, WHY ARE THEY MAKING A SEQUEL RIGHT NOW? Haven't we suffered enough????

very funny

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, Tennessee
5 March 2001

Anybody that didn't like this movie has no taste in entertainment. True it was raunchy but so what that's what entertainment should be. This movie is very funny, at first they seem to try too hard and some points are stupid but overall it was very enjoyable and I liked it very much. It also has a lot of good looking girls in it half naked and even a small sex scene heh, that's always worth watching.

Who's Line is it Anyway???

Author: littlenemo from Alcatraz island
3 March 2001

I can't believe how awful this movie is. Was there ever a script for this? I mean, it appeared to me like the director decided to get his actor/friends together to ad lib an hour and half long "Who's Line is it Anyway?" skit. The only problem was that the only humor the actors could deliver were the jokes they remembered from high school, leading to jokes being repeated more than once because one actor wasn't on the set when the last fart joke was used. Save yourself a couple clams and rent Mel Brooks "High Anxiety" instead.

90 minutes of life I'll never get back...

Author: Alex Thorpe (a.thorpe@uea.ac.uk) from Wymondham, England
19 February 2001

Given that this movie had done so well in America (I suppose that says it all), and that two (only two, note) of my friends had liked it I decided to go along and use the free ticket I had saved up loyalty points for. What a waste of a good ticket. The film is about 90 minutes too long, and is simply appalling. Given that I chuckled at 'American Pie' it can be assumed that I'm not a prude (I like the flute joke in said film), but there simply has to be some limits to which sick humour can go. Basically a direct remake of 'Scream' with bodily fluid jokes, 'Scary Movie' shows so little creativity it is astounding. Poor hammy acting, dire 'jokes' and nothing original in the whole movie, this has to go down as my worst film for 2000.

Page 2 of 90:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]