IMDb > "The Powerpuff Girls" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Action, Plot, and Character Development

Author: Rich Wilson from Georgia
7 June 1999

Even though it takes many elements from many genres, "The Powerpuff Girls" show is like nothing I've ever seen before. These little girls have more heart and more hustle than any other superheroes, and when trouble strikes, these three little superheroines don't waste time with the philosophical speeches of the "SuperFriends" or the inane transformation sequences of "Sailor Moon." The Powerpuff Girls are always ready for action, and when trouble strikes they stop only to ask permission to leave the classroom - and only if there is time.

Besides plenty of action, the show has superb, though often subtle, character development: a happy but lonely Professor Utonium creates three super-powered girls, to whom he gives love, support, and discipline. However, he occasionally reveals his concern about the dangers of their crime fighting, his feelings of loneliness and burden about being a single parent, and even buried anger from his childhood.

The girls have distinct personalities as well: Blossom, the self-appointed leader, is very smart for her age and has an ego to match; Buttercup is a tomboy who cannot wait until she is old enough to go out after dark; and Bubbles behaves like a normal five-year-old girl, coloring, singing, and trying to keep the peace. Our adorable heroines experience the friction that most siblings do, but their love and fight against evil keep them together.

Also, the supporting characters, including both the good citizens and the villains, have complex yet consistent personalities. The kind mayor's assistant and evil Mojo Jojo are as interesting and complex the Powerpuff Girls themselves. Even if a scene begins with a random monster attacking the city, you can be sure that there is more to the story, and another piece of the relationship puzzle will be put in its place before the show is over.

Of course, the episodes are extremely funny and uplifting, and the only thing this show does not have is the built-in toy advertising. The writers and artists borrow elements from shows and movies that we children of the sixties enjoyed. Besides their own original story lines, they have cleverly parodied "Star Wars," the classic step-mom fairy tales, and everything from James Bond to Japanese monster films. Whether the subject is exciting, sad, or scary, you will always find the humor and the warmth.

The show does have a few minor drawbacks: sometimes the "cartoon violence" is a bit excessive, and I recommend that young children do not watch this show - it is rated for children eight-years-old and older. There are sometimes inconsistencies between shows or even in the same episode, but these are minor, and I should not complain because it is a cartoon after all.

Overall, "The Powerpuff Girls" is an excellent television show that leaves its audience feeling good. All of the characters are well developed, and the girls themselves are as believable as kindergarten superheroines can be. With their love, willingness to fight for good, and ability to take action instead of whining, Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup are truly the role models for the twenty-first century.

surprisingly great!

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, Tennessee
13 March 2001

I'm a 19 year old male and I love this cartoon! I didn't think I would since it seems like a show for little girls but it's very entertaining, the girls themselves are really cute little characters. I like the villiam Mojo too. The stories are usually pretty good and funny too.

A VERY sophisticated sci-fi cartoon since Dexter's Laboratory!

Author: Becca-37 from Sacramento, CA
11 June 2000

Hey, Townies! Look, look up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it three flying lollipops? NO!!! It's THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!!! We all cheer boisterously as the three tiny superheroines instantly zoom right over our heads, trailing a bright rainbow of pink, blue, and green! Ever since they first grew right out of Professor Utonium's trusty old mixing bowl, Blossom the sweet-natured leader, Bubbles the happy-go-lucky goldilocks, and Buttercup the scowling little tough-cookie at once assumed the great role as guardians of the cutest little city in the whole cartoondom: Townsville, U.S.A.! And just in time, too because there are also fabulous beasts and gloating villains totally hellbent on wreaking terrible havoc upon such a innocent land of our happiest childhood days...so just use the special hotline and it's POWERPUFF GIRLS TO THE RESCUE!!! Folks, this is no "My Little Pony" or "Rainbow Brite" or "Strawberry Shortcake" or anything like that, for this very cartoon is quite gritty and a bit mature for our wide-eyed young girls as the intended audience as well as being full of very clever humor, satire, and some REAL DEPTH that will really rake in tons of teenaged and adult viewers as well, regardless of their gender and species. So...THREE CHEERS FOR THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!!!

Excellent action comedy satire for adults

Author: anonymous from Brisbane, Australia
30 April 1999

With so much adult appeal, hilarious visual gags and storys, this kind of anime spoof by the animators of Dexter's Laboratory is one of the year's best cartoons. Creator Craig McCracken (2 Stupid Dogs, No Neck Joe, Dexter's Lab) is a genius. The show is certainly not for very young children - in some fight scenes, the characters actually bleed! A no-no for babies - a bonus for adult anime fans or fans of The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy and South Park. Again, like in Dexter's Laboratory, there's a clever combination of 50s American style and 90s Japanese anime style. If this show was on at prime time on a free to air network (not just on cable) it would be so popular with all! There would be T-shirts, toys, merchandise galore! The makers of the show would be rich, rich, RICH!!! $$$$$$$$ This show rules! I love it! Do you?

Awesome family show!

Author: Salazar from New Zealand
22 October 2007

I disagree with anonymous from Brisbane, Australia. I've been watching "The Powerpuff Girls" ever since I can remember. If it's not for kids then why the hell is it on Cartoon Network and not in Adult Swim? Anyway, the show has humour that will appeal to both kids & adults and in my opinion is one hell of a family show! Yes, I admit that it does have violence and there is some blood but, when you think about it it's none the different from "Dragon Ball Z", "The Simpsons" and ,most importantly, real life. The show also has some important messages about life for kids, so I really, really don't see why kids shouldn't watch it. In conclusion to this review "The Powerpuff Girls" is one of the most greatest animated family shows of all time and I highly recommend watching it with your kids (that is, if you have any! But even if you don't watch the series anyways!).

The Powerpuff Girls know when to activate their Hearts of Gold as long as Craig, his members and I are around. 10000000000000000000/10

Author: Omega_Z
31 January 2007

The series will always begin with the Narrator narrating: Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice. These were the Ingredients chosen to create the Perfect Little Girls but Professor Utonium accidentally added an Extra Ingredient to the Concussion, Chemical X. Thus, the Powerpuff Girls were born! Using their Ultra Super Powers, Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup have dedicated their lives to Fighting Crimes and the Forces of Evil! That is awesome! I always wished that I can join in the Narrating for the future Powerpuff Girls stories. After all, everyone has to grow up but these Girls are way too special and fragile for that unless if Craig the true creator wants them to grow up, I'll definitely support him at more than full will.

The Narrator, narrates every episode and the movies. Can't be seen but sure can communicate with the characters at times. Also always ends the series and movies.

Blossom, the Commander and the Leader. Bossy at times but deep down in her Heart, she doesn't meant what she really said. Just like me honestly. I would like it if she is my sister but it if somehow just a fictional story.

Bubbles, the Joy and the Laughter. Sure, annoying at times but I don't mind because I'm annoying myself. She likes to draw and I love her drawings whether they are great or not. I also would like her as my sister.

Buttercup, the toughest Fighter. The easily angered Powerpuff and the 2nd in Command if no one noticed that. She gains Leadership when if Blossom lost confidence.

Professor Utonium, the creator/father of the Powerpuff Girls in the series & movies. He is not really an accidental Professor because we he created the Dynamo not accidentally as well as the Time Machine. He knows when to joke around and be serious with his daughters & the others around him. He has a love interest on Ms. Keane.

Mayor, the Mayor of Townsville. He is like 30% dumb and 70% smart or the other way round. He sometimes cares more about his hat and pickle jar and his not yet finished chores more than the city itself.

Ms. Bellum, the assistant of Mayor. She is smarter than Mayor rather than just giving him advices most of the time.

Ms. Keane, Pokey Oaks Kindergarten Teacher. She is like a mother to the Girls and has a love interest on the Professor.

Brick, Leader of the RowdyRuff Boys. He is the male counterpart of Blossom and the bullying type but if they are to be good in new seasons if Craig wants them to, he'll definitely have a new Heart along with his brothers.

Boomer, loud mouthed one who is the male counterpart of Bubbles. He actually doesn't like to bully anyone deep down inside his Heart because those born with Chemical X should have some good in them if Craig thinks so.

Butch, aggressive one. He is the make counterpart of Buttercup and the toughest among his brothers and also the 2nd in Command at times. Butch take things more seriously at times than Brick which annoys and angers him. Due to the corrupted Chemical X, he is very bad but we all know that he does have some good inside his Heart if Craig thinks so.

Amoeba Boys consisted of Bossman, Skinny and Tiny who don't know how to do a true crime and always wanted the Girls to beat them up.

Gang Green Gang consisted of Ace, Lil Arturo, Grubber, Snake and Big Billy. Ace is the bullying type, Lil Arturo knows French and looks like a Midget type character, Snake always hiss whenever he says anything that involves the letter "s" and Big Billy is like a Rookie Member even though he is the largest of the group and actually cares about the other people especially the Girls.

Boogie Man, Leader of the Darkness under the bed along with his other Dark Minions but no one knows where they actually stay. Did they really squeeze in under the bed as shown in one cut of the episode? Al Lusion is a Magician but because of a Girl with Powerpuff like eyes, he got killed accidentally and he returned from the Dead as Abracadaver.

Sedusa cares about her hair a lot and tricked the Professor to her advantage in stopping the Girls but as usual Evil never wins.

Fuzzy Lumpkins is not really bad unless physically provoked. He has hidden strength and is dumb almost all the time.

Princess Morbucks is a spoiled rich kid whose father is the richest man in the world. She always insisted that she can buy anything with Money. True, money can't buy anyone love or in her case Powers but can buy gadgets and powered attires.

Major Man, a so called hero who wants to just get attention.

Broccoloids, they were eaten alive by the Girls and kids.

Monsters, random monsters always ended up defeated.

A woman who only has interest on anything to do with woman. One of the only female villains.

Mojo Jojo was originally the Professor's Lab Assistant but because of his naughtiness, he ended up with a Big Brain and he thought that the Professor didn't care about him anymore which is actually a misunderstand. He used his Brain Power to be Evil and he also have Evil Day Offs.

Him doesn't have a true name and his voice is between man and woman. He may be one of the most powerful villain but no matter how evil as usual, Evil never wins.

There are many more but I'll end here. This show deserves more than 10/10 and definitely deserves more than 10 series or so. It is not just for girls, it is for everyone with great love interests.

Do NOT rent the videos... BUY THEM!!!!!!

Author: Michael Shaver (professor2789@yahoo.com)
14 February 2001

I've got all four (as of Feb '01) tapes of the PPG. And you want to know something? It's one of the best investments I've ever made!

Okay, look. I'm 34 years old, and I know some of you cynical, self-important nay-sayers may be trying to tell me that I shouldn't do this kind of thing, but hey-- I didn't vote for Al Gore, so you can just go back to daydreaming about what YOU think should be while still searching for the missing chads!! In the meantime I'll keep enjoying one of my so-called "guilty pleasures" and laughing my keyster off while doing it!

You know, I rarely ever use the word "cool" to describe something, but when I caught an episode of "The Powerpuff Girls" on Cartoon Network a while back (I don't remember the episode), I became immediately, and hopelessly hooked on what I think is, without a doubt, the COOLEST cartoon to come along since "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show". Plus it gives me and two of my nieces some common ground. They're big fans, too!

The whole show is extremely well put together-- the retro animation, the storylines, the voices, the sound effects, and especially the incidental music. And say what you want about the fantasy violence, but the majority of the episodes convey a good message, and that's even better.

Who is my favorite PPG, you may ask? Well, hands down... it's Bubbles! And here's why: For one thing, she doesn't take things quite as seriously as Blossom and Buttercup. She is able to appreciate the simpler and more beautiful things in life without getting too bogged down as her sisters normally do. Sure, she may seem absent-minded at times, but she does have a penchant for finding the occasional needle in the haystack without really trying. And when you get down to the brass tacks, she can hold her own in a fight... which she MUCH MORE than proves in "Bubblevicious", one of my favorite episodes!

In closing, my fellow addicts, I say to you now... THIS is OUR Chemical X! Take it in... enjoy it! And believe me... you are much better off BUYING the videos!

Totally Rad Cartoon!

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
20 October 2000

Um, I guess I could say something about Mojo Jojo's repressed anger or Professor Utonium's poignant single parenthood or how poor Bubbles (who shows all the signs of a classic Pisces) is torn between zapping aliens and drawing in her coloring books. But, you know what, that's been done. Besides, it's just a cartoon.

One heck of a radical kick-butt awesome cartoon!

Thank goodness for these great video collection's of the Girls' greatest adventures. I probably would have never got a chance to see these otherwise. I speak to all the *adults* here when I say that you have GOT to rent these and watch them. No questions asked. (And, oh yeah, the kids will like 'em too I guess.) Very cool, retro looking animation and a hilarious shout-out to the "Power Rangers" and the Beastie Boys make this one a winner. Plus, Mojo is quite the quotable one.

Let's Save The World Before Bedtime !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
30 April 2009

One of the best for sure. This show has some fine imagination, strange yet smart sense of comedy, nice action, and original moments. I can't forget an episode concerning the tooth fairy going bananas because simply he doesn't sleep (as he works just before the dawn which begins in new where every second !), so he toils around the clock and around the terrestrial globe unstoppably, envying Santa Claus who sleeps all the year just to work for one night (he totally got a point !), and so on the uncommonness of this show. Basically the main idea of Charlie's Angels as kids mixed with superpower as animated series is super itself. I've got hooked by it in the first place. Another factor; the droll drawings where the character's design is unique and funny, the atmosphere is so gaudily colored (as if children did it), and the motion is always MAD. Not to mention being a girlie show that could attract both girls and boys in the same time. By the way, I kind of study the whole TV shows and history, following accurately many running themes, their time of prosperity, and their milestones; so I noticed that along with this show, 1998 witnessed the birth of another shows such as "Charmed", and Charlie's Angels spoof "V.I.P" too; it assures undoubtedly that girls became nobody's fool, too tough, and have PowerPuff or PowerGirls leagues all over the world nowadays. Few cartoon shows that I feel bad whenever they cut to commercials while it, craving what would happen and how the problem would be solved.. This is one of them. With this spirit, especially at writing, this show maintains fresh every time I catch it. It managed to be as original and lovely as its tagline "Saving the world before bedtime". Being a talented fun time and a loose fantasy just like infants' vision yet sharper.

I Love this show as a kid and i still do today

Author: paulnuti from Wyckoff NJ
30 June 2015

Hello Again It me Regularshow1 and today I'm Writing a review On

the classic show from the 1990s. It Called THE POWER PUFF GIRLS. This great show came out when was two and it is amazing. The show Frist Premiered on Cartoon Network on Wednesday, November 18,1998 with the Episode Monkey see Doggie Doo and Mommy Frearest. My favorite PowerPUFF Girl is Bubbles She is so Cute and She is Voiced By Tara Strong. My Favorite Villain is Mojo jo-jo he is so funny and he is voiced Roger Jackson. Another villain love is HIM he pure Evil. And Tom Kenny is great as the narrator and the of Townsvillie. Craig McCracken is Great cartoonist. HE Also so FHFAIF And Wonder Over Yonder I'M give this show 10/10 stars. My episode of the "The PowerPuff Girls is "Criss Cross Crisis" were the girls switch bodies. Updated as of December 17,2015.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]