IMDb > Autumn in New York (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Autumn in New York

Autumn in New York More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Something to redress the balance !!

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
30 March 2001

Whilst everyone is naturally entitled to their own opinion, I was rather shocked to read the large number of negative comments about this film on the site. A redress is therefore more than necessary ! Compared to a lot of the violent rubbish we get in the cinema today, here is a film without violence, beautifully made, and concentrating on "L O V E ! " Naturally the story is all the more intense as we know that one of the protagonists's days are numbered, and why not indeed ? A parallel may be drawn with the film LOVE STORY but in AUTUMN IN NY, the dialogues are much less crude and closer to reality. The film is technically, plastically, very beautiful ( I m very sensitive to Autumn leaves ) and this film ranks with the best in the autumn ' genre ', ie, "All that Heaven allows", featuring Rock Hudson & Jane Wyman, and "The Trouble with Harry" by Alfred Hitchcock. Rarely is autumn sunlight put to such good use as in this film. The subtle autumn light of New York accompanies the autumn of Charlotte's own short life towards the winter's snow and her voyage into eternity. Too much emphasis is placed on the difference in age between the two protagonists as well as supposed flaws in their characters. Who cares ? Love is Love ! Why should't a play-boy discover true love ? I think it is wonderful. Let's face it, true love is the only thing in the whole wide world that all peoples can agree on ! This film is reminiscent of the great American weepies of the 40's such as Waterloo Bridge or Random Harvest, but with present-day film quality as an extra a bonus. Unfortunately, these kind of romantic melodramas seem to have lost favour with the public today, which is a great great shame, as romance and love are eternal themes which will never die. I think the film will stand the test of time and hopefully at a future time when violence and evil sentiment on the cinema screen will be less sought after than today will come onto its own. Indeed a second viewing of the film allowed me to appreciate even more the plastic beauty of the film which I missed the first time round as I was worried how it was going to end. In addition to that I was even more impresses the second time round by the performance to the two actors. So long live beauty and romance as portrayed in this film and let's hope there'll be more to come in the cinema of the future.

I really liked it

Author: Matt-115
13 August 2000

This movie has many weaknesses, but there is something really superior about it nonetheless. On the negative side, everything people are saying is true; the dialogue is clunky, the plot is predictable, and the chemistry is weak. On the other hand, the charisma of both the leads is amazing and I really fell in love with Winona Ryder's character. I think the makers of this film were resigned to the the fact that as far as writing was concerned, they weren't breaking any new ground. What they did instead was dress up the standard love story with great actors, nice clothes, and pretty settings. Despite the gloss, there is a story here that everyone can identify with at some level. The result, in my opinion, is something magical that I can't pin down. I think it's a success.

A nice surprise

Author: bsinc from Ljubljana, Slovenia
31 January 2003

Although a little boring at some points "Autumn In New York" managed to truly emotionally entertain and interest me. Even after seeing it I am still discovering the hidden meanings it tries to give us. Ironically despite being a romantic drama the romance between the main actors is the biggest downer of this movie. I must have missed the part when Winona Ryder's character's age is revealed, but she just doesn't pass as a 21 year old. I thought she was supposed to be like 26 or something. Not that there's a big difference in age, but she was a bit misscast, despite her child like face. On the other side she was really attractive in this movie and constantly reminded me of this cute girl I know. Gere looks and feels pretty old, but he's a believable 48 year old playboy. The movie is hence held together by good dialogues and nice and memorable scenes. There's also a great line Gere says to Winona after he cheats on her and realizes he screwed up: "Can you let me love you?" I've read some pretty different explanations of this movie, but basically I think it's about Gere's character slowly discovering he's been missing a great deal of life, he's never loved. So after "accidentally" falling in love with Charlotte he can't bear the though of her dying and tries everything in his power to prevent her death(this might have something to do with his previous life where he was always the one with power, whilst the women weren't). But he has to realize that in Charlotte's case he's completely powerless and there's where the point of the movie lies. He chose true love (despite knowing that Charlotte was going to die soon) over the life he thought he was happy with. It might sound ridiculous but I kind o envy the guy. I too would rather truly love a woman, if only for a short period of time, than spend a life with a woman I didn't love. I would be a happier man, even after that true love would, for some reason or another, leave me, because I'd know I loved, even if it didn't last. I was pretty surprised at most of the bad reviews and comments, but on the other side I couldn't help but to agree with most of them. It is a crude love story and it is somewhat predictable and boring, but it was overlooked for the most important reason it tries to tell us. Despite being an unconventional and hardly believable love story "Autumn In New York" is a movie that in the end managed to show me you have to take even the biggest sacrifices to find true love. Sad and Beautiful. 7/10

Not as bad as I heard, but not good

Author: preppy-3 from United States
30 August 2000

This film has been savaged by critics and it's easy to see why. The story is oooollllllddddd (young girl dying of an incurable disease) and some of the dialogue is beyond belief. But it is well-acted (Ryder and Gere give two of their best performances) and it looks beautiful. Basically the acting and photography kept me in my seat. Take those things away and it would probably be unwatchable. So, not too bad but not good either.

Muted, subtle, and rewarding

Author: Mark Nielsen (mnielsen@pris.bc.ca) from Dawson Creek, B.C., Canada
16 September 2000

Slow and somber, muted and subtle, Autumn in New York isn't like most movies.

Set against a backdrop of pastels and shades, this sad yet engaging story about doomed love is full of symbolism and metaphor revolving around renewal and decay, second chances and confronting one's past, and hearts on the mend both spiritually and physically.

Winona Ryder plays Charlotte Fielding, a young woman blessed with simple good looks but stuck with a faulty heart that threatens to limit her days. Richard Gere plays Will, an older man whose years of toil in the restaurant business are starting to pay off.

Will suffers from an ailment of a different kind, an inability to stay true to his woman, something that tends to hurt others more than himself. As it turns out Will once even dated Charlotte's mother only to cruelly jilt her by seducing her best friend.

Ever the womanizer, Will can't help himself, and when they meet one night, he hatches a plot to woo Charlotte. Already giddy at his very sight, Charlotte is easily swept off her feet and is soon in love.

Alas, Will hasn't changed much. When Charlotte intuitively discovers that he's been cheating, their relationship hits the rocks. Only this time Will does feel bad and finally tries to break out of his pattern of deceit.

Meanwhile, his notoriety as a restaurant owner turns into something of a two-edged sword as the daughter from the woman he seduced then spots his photo on a magazine cover and tracks him down.

What follows is Will's efforts to not only put the pieces back together but create a future that both he and Charlotte can share. The trouble is, it could also mean some very radical surgery that Charlotte may not survive.

Although set in New York, it could just as easily have played out in a small northern British Columbia town as the six degrees of separation rule very much applies. In fact, it's Charlotte's grandmother who introduces the two, despite knowing all to well how Will treated her daughter.

Don't expect any car chases, fireball explosions, or over the top special effects. But do expect a movie that is splendidly shot in hues of orange and yellow, green and grey, and opts for opaques and shadow over bright and blinding.

And while the pacing is as slow as molasses, Autumn in New York nonetheless seeps deep into the psyche and remains there all season long.

For those who like adore tear-generating love stories, this one is perfect for an Autumn evening in front of the fire

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
29 May 2007

Will (Richard Gere) is a New York City restaurateur and ladies man, in his middle forties. His life's motto is definitely love 'em and leave 'em and have fun in between. So, when he meets Charlotte (Winona Ryder), a beautiful young lady half his age, he is surprised at how smitten he is with her. Wanting to make a connection, he hires her to make a hat for his date to a charity function. When she shows up at his apartment on the evening of the affair, he informs her that his date is sick. Would she, Charlotte, take her place? She agrees and they have a lovely evening together, one that lasts all night. Love is in the air, all right. But, Charlotte confides in Will that she has a dire medical condition, one that is threatening her life. What will their future hold? This is really a nice film for those who like to sigh and cry over a set of star-crossed lovers. Gere is great as the aging lothario and Ryder positively enchanting as the spunky and lovely young lady in his life. The rest of the cast members, including Anthony LaPaglia, Sherry Stringfield, and Elaine Stritch, are great. Then, too, the film is replete with lovely costumes, sets and scenery, making for a very beautiful watch. If you have a hankering for romances, even and especially ones that elicit tears, you should get this film without delay. On an autumn evening, with a fire blazing and mugs of hot chocolate on hand, you will feel very satisfied when the story is spent.

A bad movie is the only beautiful thing that truly nourishes.

Author: spielfan-2 from pocatello, idaho
16 August 2000

THE non-stop laugh-out-loud smash comedy of the summer. MGM really botched the advertising campaign on this one. I didn't realize that a screenwriter with the delightfully demented sense of humor of the creators of "Airplane" was making a spoof of romantic weepers. The lines were truly inspired comic gags. A small sampling: "Food is the only beautiful thing that truly nourishes." "I can smell the rain. When did I learn to do that?" "What About Love?!?" "You are my family!! you are my family (incoherent sobbing)" "What do we do, Will, with this moment that we're in?" Again, I state that this is just a small sampling of the plethora of howlers that exist in this film. Add to this the nonsensical secondary characters, the beautiful cinematography and two romantic leads that have all of the sexual chemistry of a drawer full of office supplies and you have the greatest gift to aficionados of bad movies everywhere. Believe me, a screenwriter has to work very hard to make Winona Ryder look bad. I do believe that she is one of the greatest actresses of her generation, however her abilities are not shown here. Aside from looking great she is given little to do, but deliver unintentionally hilarious lines with as much sincerity as she can muster. Truly a must-see in the pantheons of cinematic mis-steps.

Great movie. Winona and Gere are excellent.

Author: mjdd1 from New York
12 August 2000

I just saw the movie and I liked it. Both Gere and Winona gave excellent performances. The actors and cinematography are beautiful. Nice shots of NYC. Chen uses shadings and reflections beautifully.

I don't care what the critics say, I thought it was a great movie. Winona is as beautiful as ever and gives one of her best performances. Her face is so radiant and hauntingly beautiful. I can't get her out of my mind. Too bad her nude scene was cut from the film. It would have been her first.

Go see it if you like Winona or Gere. I give it 3 stars.

Beautiful, but not for the critics...

Author: nymets_69 from New York
14 August 2000

The critics may trash "Autumn In New York" because of the fact that MGM decided not to screen the movie to those who make career of tarnishing other people's works. However, "Autumn..." is a 'good' romantic drama with terrific performances by Richard Gere and Winona Ryder. Some people may criticize the film due to its abundance of cliches throughout the movie, but it would be almost impossible to not have any cliches in a romantic drama such as "Autumn...". This one certainly is a winner in my heart.

The film is wonderfully directed by Joan Chen and it was beautifully shot by the cinematographer, Changwei Gu.

New York never looked so beautiful!

Who cares, just DIE already.

Author: pzilliox from Heart of America
1 May 2006

Let me sum up what I learned from this movie: If you're an aging, philandering jerk, you can restore your relationship with the daughter you abandoned by seducing a terminally-ill girl half your age, cheating on her, then grieving over her unavoidable death. If that sounds like "real life" to you, you're gonna LOVE this movie.

Ryder plays an early-20-something girl who falls for a 48-year-old restaurant owner. The lead characters "fall in love," but their relationship is strictly 2-dimensional. We're never given any clue about what is actually attracting these two people to each other. Her terminal illness is also totally unbelievable; Ryder's character has quite normal capabilities for the most part, until she suddenly gasps or unexpectedly falls over unconscious at crucial moments. The plot is totally disjointed, with very little understandable cause and effect established between various actions and reactions.

Gere is a decent actor, at least when he plays his usual stock character (the rich, self-centered playboy). He has some stupid lines to deliver, but he manages to be the only believable thing in the movie. But that only allowed me to hate his character with a passion. He's not just a womanizer, he's a big enough jerk to --now, try to get all this-- have quickie sex with an old girlfriend at his best friend's house, during a children's Halloween party, which he is attending with his current, dying girlfriend, whom he says he loves more deeply than anyone else he has ever known. After lying about the tryst, Gere finally tells Ryder that he HAD to have sex with another woman because he was "scared." Oh please! The screenwriter must be equally a jerk, because he obviously thinks we will actually LIKE this creep. After that kind of behavior, not only do I fail to like him, I can't care at all what happens to him.

Of course, Ryder's poor little sick girl quickly melts and forgives him, and believes him when he whispers to her he loves her. Frankly, at that point in the film I was thinking, "She deserves whatever she gets. Neither one of these people have a clue what love is." For some reason, by the end of the film, Ryder's sickness and death makes things okay between the restaurateur and his estranged daughter. Why? How? Who knows! Who CARES; I was just grateful the film was over!

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]