IMDb > Hogo fogo Homolka (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hogo fogo Homolka More at IMDbPro »

Very funny, very Czech

Author: webk from Czech Republic
11 August 2005

I agree with Nick that this movie is very Czech and that you must have spent some time in the Czech Republic or be at least partly Czech to understand the humor. I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it though, but keep this thought in mind. I do recommend that you see Milos Forman's 'Hori ma Panenko'. It is also quite Czech but more 'digestable' for the foreigner... What is very amusing in this film is the very credible and realistic acting. Helena Ruzickova excels as the temperamental mother as does Josef Sebanek, the beer drinking grandfather. It is a movie that makes you laugh if nothing else. If you do watch this trilogy then yes- watch the films in order as it makes more sense, then again isn't it always that way??!! An interesting note about this movie is that the twins are played by Milos Forman's twin sons Petr and Matej!

Yet another Homolka

Author: Nick 5r (nick5r) from Prague, Czech
11 August 2004

And here we are again. Just the word "Homolka" must ring the bell for those, who know a bit about the Czech cinema. This movie certainly belongs to the hall of fame of Czech movies.

If you have not seen any of this trilogy, you might find this movie incredible silly and could call it a flick but the same I thought of Austin Powers after watching the first part. Boy, did I change my opinion with the other two parts...

As mentioned above, this movie might be for "fineschmeckers" only but trust me, if you watch it without a prejudice's opinion and just go with the flow of it, only then you have a chance of real appreciation of Papousek's work.

Give it a try, but for most of the foreigners I'd recommend rather to stay away. Too much Czech mentality without much of a plot.

I say 6 out of 10 for its simplicity.