IMDb > Halloweentown (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Halloweentown

Halloweentown (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Best TV Holiday Movie since The Worst Witch...

Author: Angelyc from Michigan
6 October 2001

This was a great movie. It was entertaining and intelligent. Great sets... good acting (as well as you can expect in a Disney TV movie)

Kimberly J. Brown did a great job as the character of hopeful Marnie. Joey Zimmerman did a nice comical job portraying the extremely dry Dylan. But in my opinion, Emily Roeske stole the show as Sophie. She was adorable and the most intelligent character.

Nicely developed plot... and Debbie Reynolds just shines as the kooky grandmother!

I'd definitely recommend this movie... it's a great way to pass a lazy afternoon.

Cute film to watch with the family

Author: chrissythecat from New York
22 May 2003

I just have to say that I have seen both Halloweentown and Halloweentown 2 with my nieces and I found them to be very cute and all around wholesome entertainment. I'm 21 and I've seen quite a few movies in my life from dramas to horror films to comedies and action flicks, but I find that family movies are my favorite. I don't know if it's just me, but I like watching a ridiculously happy movie sometimes instead of always watching something "heavy" or philosophical or even too realistic. I like Halloweentown because it's something I can watch with my nieces that they think is sort of scary without it really being scary. It's just a fun little tv movie. I'd also like to comment on what a self-proclaimed witch/wiccan posted earlier. Of course, real-life witches do not fly on brooms or cast spells or do most if not all of the things done in the film. In many ways, Wicca is a sort of religion. It's a way of looking at life and focusing on the energy of nature. It goes back to paganistic times and the rituals and ceremonies of that time. With that said, I also see no harm in portraying witches as capable of magic and the ability to fly. Where's the harm in it? Now if the film portrayed witches/Wiccans as devil worshippers or evil people, I would have been upset, because that simply is not the case. I myself am not a Wiccan, but quite a few of my friends are and I've read a lot of literature on the subject. Halloweentown isn't an autobiographical film or a documentary, and I think it has every right to take artistic license when portraying the fantastical world of witches. (Sorry for writing so much, but I tend to go off on tangents.)

This is the best Disney holiday movie of all time.

Author: Jim-456 from CA
26 December 1999

This is the best Disney holiday movie of all time. Cute characters, good story line, great acting. I enjoyed this movie as much as my kids did! Everything seemed to work for this movie. Good directing, incredible sets, great writing. My family can't wait for this one to be released on video.It's too long to wait until Halloween every year to see it.

great for kids of all ages

Author: bushbrianna from United States
8 August 2006

I love this movie. I first seen it on vacation with my Grandmother when she just happened to stumble upon it while channel surfing. As soon as she seen it, she stopped and went back to it. It's a movie that catches people's eye. I was maybe 9 or 10 when I first seen it, and now I'm 15, and I still love it! I wait until Halloween every year just to see the movies. Kimberly J is a brilliant actress, and she played the perfect Marnie. I would definitely recommend this movie, and all of the others that follow (Halloweentown II:Kalabar's Revenge & Hallweentown HIgh). The are great films for ALL ages. Buy the DVD's, because once you've seen them, you'll want to watch them over and over again! Guarantee it...

Love's it.

Author: Go-Go Yubari from United States
12 June 2005

As Paris Hilton would say: This movie is hot. I loved when they got to Halloween Town, it was such a cool place. There are all sorts of creatures there. Anything you can imagine from Ghosts to Werewolves, and Vampires to mummies, they got em. I also loved the little Abominable Snowman place, that was hot. I also liked how Marnie had to find all the ingredients from all around

My favorite characters were Marnie, Sophie and Luke. Luke was cool because he helped Marnie out in the end, instead of being a jerk. But yeah, I loved his character. I liked Sophie because she was funny and she was so cute. I was disappointed, though, when she barely had any lines in HalloweenTown 3.But back to the first one. Marnie was my favorite because she was always trying hard.

In the end, though their family comes together, and defeats Kalabar. I liked how at the end, their brother found out that he was a warlock. I remember a jolt of happiness when he finally helped use his magic to defeat Kalabar with the rest of his family. And then, their Grandma goes home to live with them. I was glad that she decided to go live with them. All in all, this movie ROCKED!

Good movies!

Author: robinepowell from Quebec, Canada
12 September 2005

I really enjoy all three Halloweentown movies though the only thing missing from Halloween High was Marnie's friend Luke. Maybe he's too old to be in High School anymore but that doesn't mean he couldn't have come over to give some moral support. ;-) These movies maybe intended for kids but I really enjoyed them! When the first two came to TV, I taped them and had a neighbour copy them onto a few more VCR tapes for other kids I knew. A Halloween movie that's not at all scary is something I enjoy. I can't wait to buy all three movies on DVD! :o)

I am having someone I know who lives in the U.S. pick up a copy of each movie for me and mail it to me. Though I'm the only with a VCR copy of Halloween High and one day hope to pass the third installment onto all of my neighbourhood kids since I know they enjoyed both Halloweentown one and two.

Excellent

Author: thespark215 from Nova Scotia, Canada
26 October 2003

I love these movies! They are terrific Halloween movies. I Hope they make a third movie. I recommend to anyone who loves Halloween to watch these two movies. It's so good to see Halloween movies that are light and not dreadfully dark and scary, I like how it's set in "Halloweentown" and really brings the characters to life.

The Witches Brew up a good holiday movie!

Author: the_moody_youngest from Canada
25 October 2006

This is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen! The acting was excellent, the plot was TOTALLY original, Marnie and Dylan were hilarious, and Sophie was just adorable! Debbie Renolds did fabulous as Agatha Cromwell, the Grandma of Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie, and Gwen's mother. Debbie plays a witch from Halloweentown, and her granddaughter, Marnie Cromwell, comes to Halloweentown with her brother Dylan, and her cute little sister, Sophie to begin her witch training. And Marnie must work to save Halloweentown from the evil... not telling! Just watch the movie and you'll find out. Benny was also a great lovable character that entertained me. Enjoy this film because it is so excellent!

Not bad.

Author: xXtOdDXx from my own little world
25 August 2003

This was a pretty good movie, even though some of the plot holes made no sense. If you're really bored and this is showing on Disney, I would suggest you watch it. Marnie (Kimberly J. Brown) was pretty good in this, but if you want better acting from her, watch Quints. The real acting in this was Debbie Reynolds. You gotta love Debbie. Overall, this is a pretty good movie. ** 1/2 / ****

If Ya like Witches, Watch this movie :)

Author: Carly from Vermont
27 October 2001

I like this movie alot.But i really think its good for young children like ages 3-10, Im 12 and i think so. I liked the charicter Luke. If you like Witches this movie is for you. they made a second one,Halloweentown 2 Kalabars Revenge. If you didnt see this movie (halloween town) dont see the second because you would not understand it. But i did not hate it, the first time i really enjoyed both ones. Enjoy :)