IMDb > "Bear in the Big Blue House" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bear in the Big Blue House"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Bear in the Big Blue House" More at IMDbPro »

Best Kids Show on TV Right Now

Author: Hank Lewis from Houston, TX
6 June 2002

I discovered this show not long after my wife and I had our daughter Helena. Brian Henson has incorporated a lot of elements--simple lessons, addressing the kids watching the shows, song and dance, pause for reflection on events and behavior, and a sense of community--and put them all into a show that is appropriate for babies all the way up to age 7 or 8.

My daughter is 3 months old, but she squeals with delight on my lap when the cast sings "Welcome! Welcome! Welcome to the Big Blue House!" I found myself holding her and dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha with her and Bear in one episode, much to her delight.

I also applaud Playhouse Disney for NOT AIRING TOY/CANDY/CEREAL commercials during this programming block. One of my biggest complaints about other kids shows that air on Fox and Kids WB is that there's about 20 minutes of commercials and only 10 minutes of show. With Bear and his other PHD cohorts, the show is 22-25 minutes that are UNINTERRUPTED by commercials, and those commercials which air are for other shows on PHD, are short minimovies/songs or are those which test a child's observation skills (Can you find the shapes in this picture?).

Bravo Henson Productions! Bravo Playhouse Disney! You have gotten this Father's Five-Star Approval Rating!!!

I admit it!!! I loved this show!!!

Author: sunnysani_88 from Australia
16 December 2004

I have a confession to make : I'm 16 and I loved this show, been watching it since i was 10 (much too old for this kind of show)Of course it's a kiddy show so there's no exciting plot lines and i already know most of what it's teaching. But It's so entertaining, the songs, the characters. I loved bear, he's so huggable and adorable. Tudder's hilarious so are pip and pop. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the scenes and going 'awwww' at others. The way they teach, it makes it easy for the younger kids to catch it, with songs, examples, stories etc. And they teach the more important things: like sharing, forgiving, being a good friend, good sportsmanship, discovering the world around you etc. this is one show!! It's not boring for the older audience too, it's funny and witty. Overall, this is an excellent show for the young and the young at heart.

A Jewel in a Sea of Mediocrity

Author: Ouarda from New York, NY
14 March 2003

I can't say enough good things about this show. It is the only children's program that consistently addresses the everyday aspects of life, such as potty training, cleaning the house, bathing, brushing one's teeth, going to school, etc. The amazing thing is how it's all done in the most entertaining way with fun songs and lots of dancing -- not an easy thing to do well. My kids absolutely love it when Bear feels the Cha Cha Cha coming on! The entire cast is extremely talented. I never hear them talking down to children as I do on many other shows. The segment with Luna is wonderful to open children's minds to contemplation -- it is so soothing.

My children, now 3 and 1, have adored this show since they were old enough to hold their heads up and it's one of the few programs that I actually enjoy myself as there is a subtle humor that adults can appreciate. Most importantly, however, this is a show that actually teaches kids about real life while entertaining them and opening their imaginations. My personal favorite of all the current kids shows, and objectively speaking, one of the three best kids shows on TV. Also, the pacing is great and it does not contribute to the short attention span syndrome like so many other kids shows.

AWESOME KIDS SHOW

Author: (barrionettebabe@aol.com) from Seaford, Long Island, NY
13 August 2001

My children love this show!(2 & 1 years old) They get a thrill watching this show. I enjoy this show also. It is much better then those 'Teletubbies'. You can understand everything that is said.

Way to go Brian Henson!!!! Good job!!! Your dad would be proud of you. My favorite characters on this show has to be Pip and Pop. They are so funny.

I haven't seen such good television shows since Sesame Street and The Electric Company!!!!

Not Sesame Street but warm, engaging and good for preschool kids

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
27 December 2005

For readers that think I have slowly started to crumble into a world of watching television for the sake of seeing colourful images moving, I must clarify that I came to The Bear a year ago as part of helping out some friends. A young family stayed with me in my house and they included two children of about 2 and 3 years old. Each morning as I was eating breakfast, the children would be merrily watching the Bear on channel 5 and joining in with his fun. So, from their critical point of view the show certainly appears to have worked – but they cannot type so damn them and damn their opinions.

Watching it as an adult I must admit that it is a good product that has the strengths of the genre but has none of the major weaknesses that you would associate with something like Barney. Bear is actually quite a warm character and he has a bit of personality behind him rather than just churning out phrases and corny clichés. The fact that the other characters are pretty good also helps as, although they are cute of course, they are not so sickly that I ever feared becoming diabetic from just watching it. It has a nice warm feel to it and Bear approaches the audience like a kindly Uncle rather than doing patronising baby talk. It isn't quite Sesame Street but it has more of that feel than the dreaded dinosaur. The characters all look good and are well delivered (although Shadow as an idea is just plain creepy if you ask me) and the voice work matches it all well.

Overall this is an enjoyable show for pre-school kids that can be watched by adults without getting annoying in the way that some others do. Like I said, not Sesame Street but effective nonetheless.

Perfect for parents and baby

Author: Haydens_mommy from Northern California
24 February 2004

Perfectly lovely. I watched this with a 2 year old girl I was nanny for, and found MYSELF enjoying it. My husband and I are looking forward to watching it along with our first child. I like that it is personal, and sweet. It teaches empathy, I love that. It is the only program I am looking forward for him to see. I have been disappointed by many of the programs around geared toward younger viewers.

Fabulous!

Author: TeiaNightRose from USA
18 February 2004

This show is by far one of the best Henson projects to date. My daughter and I watch the show together every day... it's just the cutest! The characters are adorable, lovable, and too funny! Our house tradition is for every guest to sit and watch the Potty Time episode with us... Tutter Mouse is such a riot, he always leaves my company in stitches. As with most children's shows, there is that whole "educational value" to it all, but the entertainment factor has exceeded all of my expectations for a show in it's class. I highly recommend this show for kids of all ages (even moms and dads!)!

A good show for the young crowd

Author: (mines1985@aol.com) from Lancaster, PA
19 March 2002

Although I like to poke fun at this show, I must admit it has several pleasant qualities that make it a wonderful show. It's mainly for children not yet "graduated" into shows for older kids. It has a "Mr. Rogers" type of quality in that Bear talks to the children watching and sort of invites them in to play with all of his friends in the big blue house. It can teach things such as being nice to others, even if they do something you might not like. I recommend this show for children aged up to about 7 or 8 years. This show can be a nice show for a young family looking for something enjoyable to watch with their children. It's neither too violent nor too babyish and can be a nice way to pass an afternoon before naptime.

Fantastic Show

Author: Stuart Johnson from Australia
4 December 2007

I have an almost 3 year old son, and we've been watching Bear for just over 18 months together. It's a fantastic show which he really loves. He already knows all the words for both the Hello and Goodbye songs (which is pretty impressive for a 3 year old!).

The music in the show is excellent as well. Im a guitarist and love listening to the different songs. I even try to learn a few to play to him when we're away on holidays.

I've recommended this to so many families with young children, and all of them have commented on how much their kids like it. Even the older kids get a kick out of it.

About the only thing I find annoying in the show is the voices of some of the characters. But it's for kids, and they love it.

Great effort! 10/10.

Great for the littlest of kids

Author: jerihuish from Utah, United States
8 September 2006

This is my 2-year-old's favorite show, hands down. It is also the one show that will hold my 6-month-old son's attention for very long. I don't know what he enjoys about the show, but he always gets a big grin on his face when he sees Bear.

This show teaches a lot more than just colors and shapes, Bear talks about sharing, taking turns, being clean and more. He is sweet without being sappy, the songs are memorable and fun without being annoying and the rest of the characters are peppy without being hyper. Most of all, I LOVE how kind everyone is to each other, how all the characters are polite, respectful and say please and thank you. Too many children's programs are leaning towards sassy, sarcastic characters who look down on and disrespect everyone else.

This is a show that my husband and I will sit down and watch with our kids. I even look forward to the "Shadow" stories because they usually make me laugh. And I admit that we spend a lot of time trying to figure out how the giant Bear puppet works! :)

Good job Bear. 5 stars from this happy mom!! * * * * *