IMDb > Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya More at IMDbPro »

Great entertainment.

Author: MovieInspector from United Kingdom
3 February 2011

First of all I would like to praise Sohail Khan for doing a great job with the direction and screenplay. The film is well known for the famous song 'O O Jaane Jaana', which is worth a listen any day of the week. There are other good songs besides that.

Salman Khan is great.It is not often these days we see him in such roles since he does a lot of action movies, and that's why you have to watch this one. Kajol is superb too; she isn't much different here. Arbaaz Khan plays the tough elder brother very well. You can't fault Dharmendra; he is consistent throughout.

Verdict: If you don't watch it, you'll miss out on tons of entertainment. I give it 9/10.

A village movie that is sweet

Author: Pgoel from United States
30 January 2005

This is a movie about family, love, schemers, and an urban-rural, rich-poor conflict. Muskaan, played by Kajol, is a village girl with an overprotective brother played by Arbaaz Khan (Salman Khan's brother). Arbaaz Khan is very protective of his sister, and beats up any suitor he does not like. So, soon suitors stop coming. This is a problem for Muskaan's village friend, who is very much in love with Arbaaz as he will not marry until Muskaan is married. In a particularly cute scene Muskaan asks her Bhaiyya to let her go to college as her Rakshabandhan gift. In college, naturally, she falls in love with Salman Khan. Khan's family life is precisely opposite to Muskaan's. She is showered with love at home, a Chacha (played by Dharmedar) who loves her and a Bhaiya who fights for her, and he has a wicked stepmother and a father who will not stand up for him. They fall in love. The problem, how to convince Bhaiya. And what happens if Khan's parents disapprove of him marrying a village girl. That is the plot of this sweet family film.

Kajol's acting is perfect, she plays the sweet girl perfectly. She remembers to give Muskaan a personality though Muskaan is so sheltered. A must see family film.

Icing on the Cake

Author: atifkhan007 (atifkhan007@hotmail.com)
31 August 2001

If there is one Salman Khan film that showcased his acting skills and charm then that film is Pyaar Kiya to Darna Kya. It is a simple love story between a simple village belle and a city slicker. Salman Khan was at his best in the movie. I mean in every way- acting ,looks and physique. I saw a difernet Salman Khan is this movie.

This is a must see whether you are a Salman Khan fan or not

great film

Author: kokovyas from United States
13 April 2016

Sweet, Light-hearted fun movie

Author: thebigrick-35548 from Mumbai
6 February 2016

The movie has my dream star cast of Dharmendra & Salman Khan, the two Macho men of Bollywood coming together.

All & all, the movie is a sweet, light-hearted movie & fun to watch with family & friends.

The music of the movie is also very good.

Salman's performance in the movie was awesome.

Kajol & Salman made a very good on-screen pair.

Anjala looked beautiful in the movie, don't know why she didn't succeed in Bollywood.

Though a predictable storyline, this movie remains Sohail Khan's best directed venture.

Fool's Paradise

Author: Nimesh Priyodit (priyodit@yahoo.co.in) from Kharagpur, India
12 November 2015

**May contain Spoilers** Sometimes, comes a movie which has a bit of innocence added in almost all of the characters. Sometimes, the innocence also brings foolishness. You may laugh at the people, but eventually forgive for they don't know what they are doing. Suraj (Salman Khan) and his pals are no good at studying, and spend most of their time loitering in campus, where Muskan (Kajol) is about to take admission. They cross paths and finally fall in love, till Vishal (Arbaz Khan in slightly better acting than his recent years) tests Suraj and Suraj fails to pass the test. Where the story looks cliché, it makes up with a lot of eyeball rolling by Salman Khan and some pretty good acting by Kajol. The quirks and eccentricities make you smile, but you often feel the director created the situation even more quirky. The script writer tried hard to make things exciting, but sometimes, he failed. The zaniness of Jim Carrey is what the film aspired for, but the script failed.

The best thing in the movie is the song O O Jaane Jana, which sounds fresh still, and I think Salman Khan had a lot of inputs for the movie.

Summary: can watch it once to soothe your neurons, can watch it once more (just because!).

Just about OK.

Author: ChiBron from Aurora, IL
23 June 2006

An enjoyable 1st half but close to unwatchable in the 2nd barring a few scenes involving the lead stars. The presence of Salman and Kajol in the end is the only thing that somewhat lifts this movie up. Salman is his usual funny/wacky self and it was fun to see the old Salman for a change. Since I was in India when PKTDK released I can safely say Salman's popularity hit its peak w/ this movie. 'O O Jaane Jaana' was a rage and physique/looks wise he has probably never looked better. But he isn't the TOP performer of the movie, Kajol is. She looks gorgeous(yet simple) and takes full advantage of being the only well developed character in the entire movie. I wish she had more to do because everything else about PKTDK is one BIG annoying cliché. For a romantic comedy there's hardly any romance. Hardly any face-to-face interaction between Salman and Kajol(when did they fall in love?) and this hurts BIG TIME because there isn't much chemistry between the two.

So anyway, I've no clue what made me watch this mediocre flick in 2006 but I did enjoy seeing Salman and Kajol. 1998 was a time where both were at the top of their game. A pity PKTDK had such a mediocre script because both stars happen to be excellent romantic actors.

Watch it if you're a really, really BIG fan of Salman or Kajol.