IMDb > "Sabrina, the Animated Series" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Sabrina, the Animated Series"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

I've never understood why this show is so widely disliked.

Author: imdb-127 (imdb@daddies.org) from Charleston, SC
25 May 2000

As a devoted rec.arts.animation reader, I don't believe I've ever read a single positive comment about "Sabrina: The Animated Series". Although being 21 and watching a series about a junior high schooler with magic powers is a bit embarassing to admit, "Sabrina" is one of the few animated series I watch regularly and the only series that doesn't center around action/adventure. Despite a tremendous number of episodes that have been written -- 65 episodes as I write this, and presumably still more are in production -- the show is and consistent in quality and avoids being overly repetitive, despite somewhat frequent recycling of plots. It's one of just a few cartoons that has made me laugh out loud. Although the animation is a little on the simple side, the style reflects the light, fun energy of the writing. I would hardly consider it to be the best animated series currently on the air, but I find "Sabrina" to be quite entertaining. It clearly seems to be geared towards upper elementary/early junior high students. Younger children probably won't find it very appealing, but aside from the junior set, "Sabrina" comes recommended.

Good Show

Author: Eugene Esterly III (genew) from Breinigsville, PA
20 January 2004

Sabrina the Animated Series is a good show even though it strays from the Sabrina, The Teenage Witch sitcom & comic. The characters are different in the cartoon. Sabrina is much younger. Zelda & Hilda are also much younger & hipper than the sitcom. Salem is the best & Salem is still as funny as he is in the sitcom.

The voice are also different. Emily Hart is the voice of Sabrina. Melissa Joan Hart does the voices of Zelda & Hilda. Nick Bakay does the voice of Salem (Nick Bakay does the voice of Salem on Sabrina, The Teenage Witch).

The show is different but it is also good. My favorite episode is the Driver ED episode. IMO, the reason why people don't like this show is because people expected it to be just Sabrina, The Teenage Witch.

A Cute And Good Series

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
7 August 2004

"Sabrina The Animated Series" really wasn't that bad. I was always a fan of "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" and I was excited when this show premiered. I watched it the first day it aired and found the series to be really cute. I liked the fact that Sabrina was 12, the same age as me at the time. I also liked how Aunt Hilda and Zelda were younger. They were cooler. Salem was hysterical like how he was in the sitcom.

My favorite episodes were"Send in the Clones", "WorkingWitches", "Witch Switch "and "Brina Baby". These episodes were great. My favorite characters were Salem and Harvey(he was so cute)!

I liked this series and was glad that it wasn't exactly like the sitcom. Otherwise it would have been really boring having two shows EXACTLY THE SAME! "Sabrina The Animated Series" deserves 9/10 stars!

From Comics to Live Action Sitcom to Animated Prequel Series!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
16 May 2003

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

This series revolves around the life of Sabrina the Pre-teenage witch. She's actually a half-witch, half-mortal. She lives with her Uncle Quigley, Aunt Hilda and Zelda who are both full witches, and Salem the cat. He was once a wizard, but after using a smart mouth to the witches' council, they turned him into a cat. Her friends include Harvey, who's somewhat incompetent and loves comic books and video games., Chloe, who is the only one of Sabrina's friends that know of her half-witch heiritage., Gem Stone, a stuck-up, spoiled rich girl who finds terrific joy in torturing little Bernard and making fun of Sabrina's name (i.e. Smellman). And then there was an interesting character who disappeared after three episodes: Tim the Witch-Smeller. As a lad he was ridiculed by witches so he grew up into a power-hungry mad man who vowed to kill any witch he got his hands on. They should've made him the villain of the show. Sabrina needs an archnemesis other than Gem. There were some memorable episodes like the one where en route to a field trip to learn all about Johnny Cakes, the kids are marooned on a deserted island, thanks to Sabrina's magic. Or what about the one where they all go on a camping trip and Sabrina and Salem wander into a cave and meet talking birds. My favorite is the one where Sabrina conjurs up a handsome driving instructor for Hilda. By episode's end, the car is flying through the air and they pick up a few terrified bystanders along the way; Whenever Sabrina needed a magic spell, she turned to Spooky, an all-powerful, all-rhyming, all-hilarious genie in a creepy cookie jar.

This show is not that bad, really. I retract my statements in my two previous reviews. I think the only problem this show had was that it didn't really have any direction. It just kept doing the same old stuff and spinning out the same basic stories: Sabrina disobeying her aunts and using magic to solve her problems and it all goes horribly wrong. A formula can last only so long. The animation is good but it's just the storylines that need work. The humor is priceless! Emily Hart, the little sister of Melissa Joan Hart is the voice of Sabrina. Her big sister does the voices of Hilda and Zelda and Salem himself, Nick Bakay does the voice of Salem, like on the live-action sitcom. Other voices include David Sobolov as Spooky and Jay Brazeau as Uncle Quigley. I admit it isn't the greatest animated show on Earth, but come on, it's not completely bad. It has it's good traits!

A cute version of the series...

Author: Rusty Gilligan (rustygilligan) from PA
23 March 2003

I've seen that some people complained about the 'reality' of the show as compared to the series, but you really can't compare them. This version shows a younger Sabrina (voiced by Melissa Joan Hart's sister), 2 younger/sexier versions of her aunts (both voiced by Melissa Joan Hart), and an Uncle Quigley. Of course Salem is there, but now he's more hip and can use his magic powers. In this version, we see a younger more carefree Sabrina, in early highschool, which is geared towards a younger Disney audience. Even the 'villain' has changed. Where 'real' Sabrina fights with Libby, 'cartoon' Sabrina tussles with Gem Stone (wealthy, snobby, obnoxious). This animated series is hysterical... Salem is just as funny as the series, Sabrina gets into an all new kind of trouble, and the younger aunts are sexier and also getting into trouble. Uncle Quigley adds to the fun by trying to control the unruly witches as well. Also included, for the benefit of the younger audience, is Sabrina's friend Chloe who also knows that shes a witch... I mean, HEY, what little girl can keep a secret ?! LOL

It's not that bad.

Author: FanofAnime1 from United States
26 September 2011

I actually watched this show when I was little and really enjoyed it. It was one of my favorite shows. Everyone who hates it, hates it just because it isn't the same as the sitcom. Well, it isn't based on the sitcom; it's based on the comic. Plus, what point was there of having exactly the same show, only animated? Of course it had to be different. Also, it was meant for a younger demographic, so of course it was going to be sugar coated and the characters were going to be younger. I feel that instead of comparing the two, just focus on the actual show you are reviewing. I know the show isn't perfect. I know that the storyline was repeated, but most cartoons(even classics like Scooby Doo) did the same thing. I know the animation isn't top notch, but not many animated TV shows at the time were. I personally was never bothered by the animation. Trust me, there are worse examples of animation. I would judge the animation in this show to be about average. I know it was educational, but I don't see the harm in that. What's so bad about educational shows? If a kid could be entertained and educated, I don't see what's wrong with that. I know the characters are bland and stereotypical. But in the end, it is a fun show to watch for kids. I loved this show as a kid. I watched it every Saturday morning. I even watch it every now and then for nostalgia reasons. While I can see why people can dislike this show, I don't see any reason to HATE it. It's an okay show that I personally enjoyed and still enjoy watching.

It's Cute

Author: tammypeter from London, Ontario, Canada
8 March 2001

I like the show. It's kinda cute. Kids love it, and I think that is the most important thing. Sure the animation isn't all that great, but it a very colorful show, and very creative. I know, at least, my daughter loves it

Bittersweet Candy

Author: bbethel66 from Buffalo, NY
22 July 2003

Sabrina the Animated has very little in common with the sitcom. It's also different from the original comic strip. I'm not as familiar with either the comic strip or the sitcom as this cartoon, but compared to most of the other stuff DIC makes, this is one of their few cartoons that comes close to tolerable.

This show portrays Sabrina as a pre-teen, and has to double life as a normal kid and a sub-witch. This pre-teen thing isn't a real problem (since it's not the main focus like few recent programs), but this show was horribly stained with the same crap DIC does to all their cartoons. They take a product that already exists (from a video game, comic book, toy, etc.), and they make a TV show based from it that's "educational". Each program follows a painfully similar procedure of this delivery. In Sabrina, each episode has Sabrina faced with a typical kid problem, then always having to resort to magic to overcome it (even if forbidden), the magic backfiring rather quickly, then Sabrina having to change everything back to normal.

Some episodes are actually funny. They use cartoony elements in a way that actually works if they do it right. That makes up for most of the repetitive writing. The characters are in-between good and bad. Sabrina is quite attractive, and one of the few likeable ones. Salem is a wise-cracking feline who can be funny at times. Helda and Zelda are also attractive, but not as easy to relate to as Sabrina. Chloe is also good, but serves nothing more than the usual sidekick fare. There's not too much I can say for Quigley, Harvey, or some of the other supporting characters; most are just bland at best, and present nothing new. But I absolutely hate Gem! This is another major problem for the show; the central character's foil usually ends up being a rich snob. It's another concept being done to death, and this set-up is none the more impressive. Some episodes still leave me grinding my teeth even after it's over.

Sabrina is one of those shows that you KNOW is bad, but it can't be totally ignored. Some episodes are sorta interesting, while others are just boring. Overall, despite the oppressively bad concept, I'd put it just above such toons as Rocket Power and Lloyd in Space, only because there's actually SOMETHING about it that catches my attention.

It is not based on the live action tv series

Author: makare1
17 December 2002

It is based on the actual comic book. Considering the fact that the tv show is NOTHING like the comic, I like the cartoon much better.

I know this is short but the main reason I wrote it was to say that I really like this show and to point out the irony of a person calling the characters imbeciles while being unable to spell it

"just adore me for now" i don't think so

Author: (tyranid_slayer) from United Kingdom
11 May 2007

This little show is obviously some stupid little prequel/spin off of the original series.

Compared to the live action series this show is utter crap. The live action show had intelligent jokes and story lines. While the animated series is basically a toned down bittersweet version for younger viewers to digest but i think maybe kids deteste this crap.

The storyline in every episode is basically just Sabrina has some stupid and pointless dillemma and she uses magic to fix it. Thats basiclly the idea every episode. The most bizarre episode was when Sabrina uses magic to become Gem and Gem to become Sabrina. So then Gem becomes a witch and hypnotizes harvery to become her slave. This then leads to a bizarre yet rather interesting scene were Gem says "just adore me for now" and harvey get down on his hands and knees and starts kissing her feet like shes a god. (which is quite right since he's her mind control slave) But this stupid spin-off is not worth the time or the effort.