IMDb > Pictures of the Old World (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pictures of the Old World More at IMDbPro »Obrazy starého sveta (original title)

good and simple

Author: cwei-1
14 February 2006

After seeing this documentary "Pictures of the Old World", I found that this film is simply marvelous and is a great tribute to old people. This documentary "Pictures of the Old World" by Dusan Hanák in 1988 now becomes the evidence of both the sensitivity and strength of Czechoslovakia documentary. This documentary is about older people talking about their life-stories. The documentary explores the values of generation of an old countryman, and his confrontation for the harshness and difficulty of rural patterns of existence, but also celebrating ingenuity, honor and courage of a person. Hanák's image structure is scarce and precise, luminous and touching, taking us audiences from the everyday muddy works and struggles to the internal world of the imagination.

For all youngsters definitely a must-see!!!

Author: Martin Filip from Bratislava, Slovakia
16 January 2002

This movie is simply marvellous. It is a great tribute to old people. One might think that it is boring to watch a documentary about olders talking about their life-stories, but it´s not. This one is deeply realistic, moving and artistic in a good sense. One can´t believe what these people went through. I am not going to explain details of the movie, but ..... you should see it. I saw it 5 times and I´d give it 10 out of 10.

Dusan Hanak is the best Slovak director.

Just beautiful...

Author: wuf from Slovakia
21 March 2007

Like it was said, it is a very touching movie. I started to cry and i couldn't stop for a while. It is a movie about the simple life of old people, who are living their lives on their own. Everyone has his own angle of view of the world. Everyone has his own life story and also his own burden to carry. But they agree, that the life is beautiful, it is worth to live it in any way possible... These are just simple minded man and women, but the words spoken from their lips show, that time is the real teacher to them. I would be honored to meet them in real life and just listen to them... If you have the opportunity, just watch it...