IMDb > Grace & Glorie (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Grace & Glorie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A nugget of a play adapted for cinema

Author: Jugu Abraham (jugu_abraham@yahoo.co.uk) from Trivandrum, Kerala, India
18 November 2001

I loved this film. It is one of those films that I began watching when I was sleepy. Five minutes into the film, I was wide awake.

First, I had never heard of Tom Ziegler ever in my life. I am not likely to forget the name now. This play that he wrote is tender, well developed and well written.

Films on geriatrics have never raked in dollars. I loved Paul Mazursky's "Harry and Tonto" which was not so serious as this film. I loved "Driving Miss Daisy" as well. I would classify "Grace and Glorie" right alongside these films. Indian cinema has made two notable films on similar themes Prema Karanth's "Phaniyamma" in Kannada and another film called "36, Chowringhee Lane". In France, there was this wonderful film called "Le Chat" or the cat, with Simone Signoret.

What was great about this film apart from the play was the immaculate performance of Gena Rowlands and a noteworthy performance by Diane Lane. Both are stage actresses, or at least have stage experience and hence takes to the play like ducks to water.

But Ms Rowlands is outstanding. I loved her performance in "Gloria" as a feisty gangster woman. Now here she is playing a dying terminally ill lady. The range of her performances is fascinating. She is truly one of America's greatest actresses. She probably would have not been so good if she had spent her career pursuing mainstream cinema roles--but apparently she chose to act in husband Cassavettes' movies and some off-beat movies like this one.

The director of the movie and the camera-work are not outstanding but quite well-done. But my kudos for the perfect casting.

Discovering life through death.

Author: Bruce Bozarth (bruce.bozarth@att.net) from Bellaire, TX
13 December 1998

A tender story regarding a young woman's acceptance of a painful loss while caring for a terminally ill elderly woman. The characters of Grace and Glorie (Rowlands and Lane) are superbly genuine.

Excellent

Author: oneshortkat from United States
7 March 2007

Since this was a made for television film I wasn't expecting much out of this, but boy was I in for a surprise. What a sweet and tender story about the heartbreak of growing old and dying and of learning to forgive yourself. The cast all around is fantastic, in particular Gena Rowlands and Diane Lane. They both do outstanding jobs and the scenes in the apple orchard just brought tears to my eyes. Several other supporting performances in particular Emmy Rossum in one of her first roles. Ms. Rossum has always impressed me with her maturity beyond her years in the way she approaches the roles she takes on and this one is no disappointment. This film is a real gem they should definitely show this on the Hallmark Channel more often.

Heart Warming

Author: Adzman Kasim from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7 March 1999

I think the drama is superb. The character really moves me. They complement each other. One is facing death and the other wants to end her life. Both discover the meaning of life and how to make the most out of it while you can.

I like the script, nicely done. The surroundings also sets the mood in. All in all, the movie for all to watch think about their future and how it is going to be.

AK.