IMDb > Earthly Possessions (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Earthly Possessions

Earthly Possessions (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A FANTASTIC MOVIE with great performances of Sarandon and Dorff...

Author: stefaan_vanbockstal (stefaan_vanbockstal@hotmail.com) from Lochristi, Belgium
30 June 2002

Charlotte (Susan Sarandon) wants to leave her husband, Zack, because she is not happy at all with her life. She decides to go to the bank, to ask all her money and to begin her new life. But then Jack (Stepen Dorff) comes in that bank and robbers it and she has to go with him. Jack needs the money for his pregnant girlfriend and he wants to help her. Whilst the film is moving on, Charlotte changes from an old lady in a modern woman. There is something between them and you can speak of a 'victim'. No she doesn't care anymore about the robbery. She is even happy, finally she lost her husband. But then they see Mindy, the pregnant girlfriend of Jack and that is more or less the end of their love together. She decides to go back to her husband and Jack and Mindy go to Mexico were they have a good life with their daughter. Although Jack misses Charlotte a lot, she knows that this is the best for both.

CRITIC: SUSAN SARANDON: she is the actress with the most style and talent in Hollywood. She can play everything and she made great films. She is perfect like always. So is STEPHEN DORFF, who is not so well known but he surely plays a great role.

WORTH SEEING, EVEN WHEN IT IS A TELEVISION MOVIE...

Rating; 8/10 or *** out of ****

Chemistry 101

Author: rava-1 from United States
10 July 2004

There are real sparks here between Sarandon and Dorff and their performances give Earthly Possessions some real emotional weight. I've never been much impressed with Dorff in the past, but playing against Sarandon seems to lift him to a new level as an actor. His physicality serves him well in this role and Jake's hotheaded moments are both funny and slightly threatening (a hard line to walk). Sarandon builds her character so effortlessly that all of Charlotte's personality just magically appears before the viewer. Is there anything she can't do as an actress? The screenplay shows some big changes from Anne Tyler's book, but it does do a good job of capturing the novel's quirky mix of drama and comedy. Many people mention dissatisfaction with the movie's ending and I felt it too. In the novel the ending feels natural and right, but it's as if this screenplay didn't quite take into account the sexual sparks that would be generated between the two leads. Because Sarandon and Dorff have this chemistry together and do such a great job showing the characters challenging each other to be better people, the inclusion of the girlfriend and the "earthly" resolution feel like intruders in a great romantic drama. It left me wishing that instead of an adaptation of Tyler's book (which deals with taking responsibility for choices), the movie was just a continuation of Charlotte and Jake's journey together. In the movie, you just KNOW that their being together is right, even if this isn't the message in the screenplay; that difference leaves the viewer dissatisfied. In a way though, it is more satisfying that the movie doesn't have a pat ending and Charlotte and Jake's relationship is more complicated than it has to be. Movies that challenge our expectations are rare enough these days.

I didn't even know this movie existed...

Author: preppy-3 from United States
3 March 2003

it just happened to be on HBO while I was channel surfing. I came in a little late but when I saw gorgeous Stephen Dorff and always exceptional Susan Sarandon I decided to keep watching. I'm glad I did.

The story is nothing new but I found the dialogue very interesting (until the end where it got very predictable) and Dorff and Sarandon are obviously enjoying themselves and play off each other very well. Dorff proves here he's not just another pretty face--he's a very talented actor who just happens to be extremely good-looking and have a nice body. Sarandon is always good and extremely sexy in anything she does. The sexual tension between her and Dorff is extremely well-done. As I said before, the dialogue was very well-written (for a TV movie) and the two actors give it their all--heck, these two could read a phone book and make it interesting!

The movie does disappoint at the end when Elizabeth Moss joins them. She's not a bad actress but her character is (purposely?) very annoying and cruel.

SPOILER AHEAD!!! I also didn't buy Sarandon's decision at the end in the least. She should have stayed with Dorff--I can't believe Dorff ended up with his annoying girlfriend. Still, it's played as a happy ending.

So, all in all, I did enjoy this. Don't go out of your way to see it but it's worth catching.

nice.

Author: Atalya Nir (atalyanir@hotmail.com) from Ramat-Gan, Israel
21 July 2001

Well, I rented this film because I like "Hostage and Kidnapper fall in love" kind of movies and I must say I wasn't too disappointed. I didn't expect a brilliant film, and it wasn't, but it was still quite enjoyable. Susan Sarandon is amazing, as always. Stephen Dorff is (without sounding too shallow) really cute. Together, they produce a pretty fine dynamic. I too was disappointed by the ending, but I still liked the film. What can I say, I always fall for those cute kidnappers...

Stirring

Author: Sharon Krawczyk (Sharbysy) from Buffalo NY
28 March 1999

I thought this was quite a good movie. It stirred something in me.

I thought that Charlotte and Jake had real passion. I found myself laughing because of the ridiculousness of some of the stuff that they did.... picturing people in their situation doing the things they did.

I really liked it because it was so different and unpredictable. I was very disappointed with the ending though.

Not one person

Author: jlcannavo from United States
9 November 2009

Not one viewer has commented on the age difference between Dorff and Sarandon...I can't believe it. My daughter and I watched this together, and couldn't wait to get online to check out their birthdates. 1946 and 1973....hard to get past that! The movie itself was awesome...fun and easy to imagine (or wish) that this could truly take place. Sarandon did a SUPER job with her role...a very believable bored wife. Dorff...well, he's Stephen Dorff...what more needs to be said!? He's a great actor who could get by on his looks but doesn't have to. Their interaction is wonderful. Makes a girl think she should hang out in banks until this happens for real!

I really enjoyed it!

Author: JBLivingston from Canada
4 March 2005

It took me a while to come across this film, but I finally got it a few days ago, and guess where? A grocery store! Oh ya, not just for fruits and veggies; get some good finds there! Anyway, I loved the movie, it is really funny in certain places and the acting is really great too. I am a huge Stephen Dorff fan so I figured it would be good anyway, but it was surprisingly good. It wasn't the most original concept -bank robber, hostage, but it all worked and was enjoyable! You feel part of their trip, and you don't want to turn your back. Susan Surrandon is also good, even if you are not a huge fan. It is a story many people can relate too if you find yourself tired of your life, or "feel the world is closing in on you" like the characters do in the film. If you can get it, rent it!

Pleasently Surprised ("Spoiler Warning")

Author: becca18 (beckyboo79@hotmail.com) from Australia
22 February 2003

I too was a bit disapointed with the ending (personally I thought they should have ended up together) and that annoying character Mindy please someone take her out to the paddock and put her out of her misery. I think the chemistry between Susan Sarandon (Charlotte) and Stephen Dorff (Jake) was unbelievable, It made me think that there was really something going on off the screen (of course there wasn't).

I would recomend this film to anyone who likes the film genre kidnapper and hostage fall for each other.

A very great movie, full of drama and comedy.

Author: Stacey McGovern from Cordova TN
25 March 1999

This movie was a big breakthrough for HBO. I have seen some of HBO's original movies, and I have to say that with most of them I was disappointed, but this movie it was the exact opposite. Stephen Dorff made the character seem real, he really got into his role. The cast and crew did a splendid job, the atmosphere of this movie was very comfortable. Also the humor of the movie was great, at certain parts you were on the edge of your seat, wondering what happened next. Susan Sarandon did a GREAT job, and as one of her biggest fans, I have to say that this is one of her greatest films, although all of them are great!

Earthly Possessions is a great combination of drama, suspense, and comedy. Although it is an original HBO movie, I would love to see it out on video, because it is a very great movie. Everyone reading this should check the TV Guide and the next time it comes on should watch it. You won't be disappointed, I promise you that, because I sure wasn't.

Interesting use of Susan Sarandon

Author: Rtslois from United States
22 January 2006

When I think of Susan Sarandin I think of a hip, sexy, woman with no reserves about anything. It was really interesting to see her play a character so totally opposite. In this she is a virtual recluse in a town she has never left since girlhood, a non-Christian married to a Minister! On the day she plans to take her money from the bank and run she is taken hostage by(Jake) played by actor Stephen Dorff,a very appealing guy! .

Here is Susan, dressed as a frump ,trapped and in tow, by a confused and possibly dangerous handsome guy fresh out of prison. Their interaction and eventual meshing of opposites is FUN to experience in their day by day relationship. The situations are sometimes heartfelt, or sexy, or scary!

By the end, we see Susan as we all know Susan,dressed in red boots and a mini -skirt.

All the time through the film, Stephen Dorff's inner violence ,just under his calmer surface, smolders. What is he capable of? Is he mellow? Or a tiger?

There is a surprise "almost end" (I thought it was the end,) to the film that blows your mind, and it positively shocked me.

You need to see this movie. Maybe you can find it on eBay or Half.com. I hope so. I think you will enjoy it .