IMDb > How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 47:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Christmas Giggles

Author: toffeesi from Bolton
16 December 2004

I have just read the lead comment for this film that is on the front page with the voting results and cast run down.

Why is it that some people can not take a film for what it is supposed to be.

This film is supposed to be a light hearted, tonge in cheek, family comedy, things to make the kids laugh and things for the adults, and that is exactly what this film does.

I laughed my nuts off at this film, I thought Carey put in a great performance and the whole film (if watched at Christmas) really give you a bit of festive cheer

So to all of you film reviewers stop trying to sound like film students and knock every film because it is not "Taxi Driver" or "The Godfather" and take films for what they are supposed to be, entertainment!!

Merry Christmas to All...

Author: jennifer-99 from Toronto, Ontario
27 November 2000

I have been eagerly anticipating the opening of this film for several months. Being a huge Jim Carrey fan, I easily saw how he could morph himself into Seuss' Grinch and make the character his own. I was not disappointed.

This movie was pure magic. Carrey is a master at his trade and no one could have played this role to perfection as he did. There was plenty to enjoy for both adults and children alike and this movie is sure to become a timeless classic for all to enjoy in the years to come. I already have visions of my young daughter sitting down year after year to watch this remake on video, and I undoubtedly will watch with her and laugh as I did the first time I saw it.

Clearly, this movie has Jim Carrey written all over it, and I do not believe that it would have come together without him. However, the supporting cast was charming and entertaining in their own right, most notably the adorable Taylor Momsen who was the perfect foil for Carrey's antics. The set design, musical score and costumes all lent their hands to a magical, fabulous finished product and I believe all involved can be proud.

It is not an easy feat to turn a 22 minute cartoon classic into a full length live action film, but Howard has succeeded with flying colours. For those critics who disagree, perhaps it is your hearts that are 2 sizes too small.

Visually good but really carried by Jim Carrey

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
26 December 2003

In the land of Whoville everyone loves Christmas and count down the whole year until that wonderful time. However just outside Whoville lives the Grinch, a green hairy twisted creature that hates, and always has hated, Christmas and was rejected by the Who's as a child. A young girl from Whoville sets out to befriend the Grinch and help him find his love of Christmas but, when it goes wrong early on, the Grinch becomes even more rotten and plans to ruin it for everyone.

I have never read the book or seen the original animated version of this story, but I do enjoy a bit of Dr Seuss and was worried about how such imagination would be filled out on the screen. The film actually manages it very well and the whole film has the look of the books, even if it lacks soul at times. The plot is stretched out to the running time and could have easily been shorter and punchier, but at heart it is a good little moral that is good from Christmas time.

However, aside from the look of the film, the main reason that the film works is Jim Carrey. I cannot think of another actor who could have pulled off this role as well as he did. He is manic and really funny although I imagine that if you dislike him and his antics that you'd hate the film totally. I'm on the fence about him but I did enjoy him here. Momsen is OK but really just a `cute kid' and, while the support cast has quite a few famous faces, they don't make much of an impact under the makeup and the film is left to Carrey to save it - which he happily does.

Overall this film is a little too long and padded out, but while Carrey is onscreen it seems to go pretty fast due to his hyper acting and comedy antics. However, it's Christmas and it has a nice message while not totally giving in to syrupy sentiment (thanks again to manic Carrey) and it's just perfect for kids and adults at Christmas time.

creative funny laughed my *** off

Author: kimsgirlthing from British Columbia
29 September 2004

If you went to this movie to see some huge academy award presentation...oh well..but if you wanted to see a funny delightful adaptation of an old classic, you will love it..Jim Carey was incredible as usual. The story line was great, a few parts added like the history of the Grinch made it even better. Ron Howard never misses a beat..But although there were a few ADULT comments and cleavage added, this is supped to be a kids or family show. Try not to lose sight of that ..if you do you really wont enjoy the movie...and as for the comments about Ron Howard, try to direct a major motion picture and see how you do..its not easy as it looks ...

Giggling With Jim Carrey's 'Grinch'.

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
30 January 2009

Howard's 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' is a delightful family flick that both adults and children can enjoy (mostly with each other). It is basically an adaptation of the famous children's books and what the audience gets is a pleasant Christmas treat. Price's screenplay is brilliant as he cleverly manages to include some adult humour.

The world of Whoville is beautifully constructed and created, full of colour, life, energy and spirit. The vivacious characters are full of positive energy and while it is over the top, it is all done within the context and none of it appears out of place. The CGI team and makeup crew deserve full credit for making the characters and settings so lifelike, bringing out a lot of detail and appearing authentic. The set designs are stunning and the cinematography is just as energetic as the characters.

Child actress Taylor Momsen is absolutely. The cute dog also turns in a fine performance. Jeffrey Tambor, a very sexy Christine Baranski, Bill Irwin and Molly Shannon are first rate. However, what would 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' be without Jim Carrey? Carrey is simply fantastic as he immerses himself entirely into the character. It's a role that has Jim Carrey written all over it. The actor has immortalized the Grinch on screen.

The movie itself is not an exact 100% adaptation of the book as there are a few changes. The romance between the Grinch and Martha May could have been better developed. Other than the actors mentioned above, the rest of the cast hardly have anything to do than make fleeting appearances. Yet, 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' is a charming little Christmas family film that is dazzling to look at and hugely enjoyable with the whole family.

A Lot Of Fun; Looks Great On DVD

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
4 November 2006

I found this a very entertaining small kids movie that actually is geared more for adults with a lot of jokes and humor only they would understand. A few things are inappropriate for the kiddies, but just a few. Othewise, "The Grinch" (Jim Carrey) cracks so many jokes you can't keep up with them all, ranging from sexual to cultural to insider-Hollywood to racial.

The film is very colorful and looks great on DVD. The little girl in here, "Cindy Lou Who" (Taylor Momsen) is really cute and the costumes and hairdos of the little people in here are fun to view. Anthony Hopkins' voice is pleasing, too, so having his narrate this elevates the movie further. His rhymes are fun to hear.

I saw this in the theater, though it was "fair," but on DVD, it was far better. I've seen in three times and it got better each time.

Horrible

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
9 February 2004

How the Grinch Stole Christmas was a wonderful little Christmas cartoon that anyone could easily enjoy, I never did see the reason for a remake. Not to mention a remake that was made with humans, the cartoon was just perfect enough, what's the purpose of this film? But it also seemed a little odd for Jim Carrey to be the Grinch. I mean he's a great comedic actor, but him as the Grinch? It just didn't make any sense to me. His performance was a little over the top and unintentionally laughable at moments. Not to mention some of the added dialog was a bit childish and not enjoyable. The whole story of the Grinch and Cindy Lou-Who was over done and wasn't needed. They actually just destroyed the story, period.

All the who's in Whoville are getting ready for their best Christmas season yet where everything is intended to go perfectly. But Cindy Lou-Who is curious and worried about the Grinch that lives above them and that he's not going to get as good of a Christmas as the other who's. He kicks her out and decides that he doesn't want Christmas this year and that in fact he should just steal Christmas all together to show the who's what his version of Christmas is all about. But soon he realizes that the who's may know that it's a little bit more than what is the materialized version of Christmas.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas wasn't needed and was a bit over the top. I really recommend that you stick with the cartoon just for the simple fact that this is a pretty disturbing version, at least in my opinion. The make up and presentation of the whole film was just a bit over done, not to mention that How the Grinch Stole Christmas! was more meant to be as a cartoon rather than a version starring Jim Carry. But at least this version makes you grateful for the Boris Karloff version that is played every Christmas.

How the Grinch Stole the show!

Author: Will_Scarlet from Washington, D.C.
21 November 2003

I agree completely, this film looks extremely overblown, and it is.

Though the sets and costumes are visually amazing, they go by too fast too be truly appreciated, and there is the feeling that it is too much crammed into too little. Besides this, the supporting cast have very little to do, and the presence of Anthony Hopkins as the narrator is rather puzzling. Besides that, several weak story points are added, for instance, like the romance between the Grinch and Martha May seems completely superfluous. However, if you want to see this movie, see for Jim Carrey, who steals the show as the title role. He is simply hilarious! He does, however, run a close race against Cindy Lou Who, who is unbelievably cute.

The difference between this movie, and the cartoon, is that this movie is set more from the point of view of the Grinch. In the cartoon, the Grinch is the villain, a grumpy old hermit who is jealous of the Whos and their happiness. The Whos, in the cartoon, are just simple, country townsfolk celebrating Christmas, and when the Grinch finds he cannot destroy Christmas, he knows he cannot make them suffer the absence he feels in his life, and finally understands the holiday spirit. In the movie, however, the Grinch is a slightly more modern take on his character. Actually, you can't blame him for wanting to do something about the Whos, who, in this movie, are a grim reflection of our society, and the crass consumerism and capitalism that yearly chokes the true meaning of the holiday spirit for material possessions. The Whos are so immersed in their own greed that it almost seems they deserve it when the Grinch drops the ball on them. The writers also make them seem as irritating and overly cheerful and loud as possible, with their gaudy decorations and foods, and creepy, sugar-coated style. Cindy Lou's reaction to this is our own, and she and the Grinch find the real meaning of the holiday. She and the Grinch are better seen as role models to today's holiday company, as a message not to lose ourselves in our own material greed that has become common to this holiday, but to instead remember what Christmas is. I think this holiday would get a much better reputation if people made it a routine to imagine a Christmas without presents or trimmings every year, just to keep that image in mind. But, if you don't want to be annoyed by the Whos, or blinded by the slightly overdone sets and costumes, watch it for Cindy Lou, or, if you don't like 'cute' movies like me, but like Jim Carrey's raunchy, slapstick, Marx Bros. style comedy, watch it for him.

"Good Adaptation Of Christmas Classic!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
21 December 2013

Jim Carrey, Jeffrey Tambor, Taylor Momsen, Christine Baranski, Bill Irwin and Molly Shannon star in Ron Howard's 2000 fantasy based on the Dr. Seuss book and cartoon. This takes place in the town of Who-Ville where we meet The Grinch (Carrey) who despises Christmas since he was young. Soon, he meets young girl, Cindy Lou Who (Momsen) who tries to get him to share the holiday festivities with everyone in town. He decides to take Christmas away from the Whos, but fails when he eventually learns the true meaning of Christmas. Tambor (The Larry Sanders Show) plays the Mayor, Augustus MayWho, Baranski (The Birdcage) plays the Grinch's crush, Martha May Who, Irwin (My Blue Heaven) and Shannon (Never Been Kissed) play Cindy Lou's parents, Lou and Betty Lou. Howard's father Rance, brother, Clint and son, Jeremy also appear and Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs) narrates. Carrey is great as usual as well as Rick Baker's make-up effects and James Horner's score. This is a good adaptation of the Christmas classic I recommend.

Motion Picture Brilliance

Author: davorinlonac from Australia
5 October 2013

Good Morning, or should I say Good After Noon, or Good Night? Uh what the hell, Hello fellow readers. Today we'll be looking at a very great family adventure, also one of the best Christmas films, THE GRINCH. This film reaches the pinnacle of family films and Jim Carrey makes a great choice by signing on to play the lead character. Though this film has a very poor score on this web site, I am here to tell you that this may be one of the most under rated film entry's of all time. This film is called "terrible", "disgusting" and "not even funny!" Now to that I have one word to say but that word is known as a swear word so I won't say it for such reasons as: I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO WRITE MORE REVIEWS. Anyway this film is a great motion picture and Ron Howard proves he still has a lot more life in him then some question. And so finishes my review on a great and funny film, The Grinch (2000)

Page 1 of 47:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]