Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Air/Magokoro wo, kimi ni

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion More at IMDbPro »Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Air/Magokoro wo, kimi ni (original title)

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The best movie ever.

Author: Vegeta-2 from Tennessee
11 April 1999

Never before has a movie put me through so many emotions. Anger, joy, fear, depression, hope, all flowed through me as the epic film unfolded before me. I was left emotionally wrung out the first time I watched it, and my view of life has been changed forever because of it. Just be warned, if you haven't seen all the TV episodes, you will be totally lost by this movie. Oh, and hope you haven't developed too much of an emotional attachment to the characters.

Simply stunning!

Author: Fiss from Canada
29 October 1999

Finally, after long last, I have managed to watch the End of Evangelion. It was worth any wait.

Those not familiar with the series will have no clue what's happening, so you should at least watch the first 24 episodes. End of Eva takes place as an alternative to the last 25 and 26th episodes. It may sound confusing, but trust me, if you just sit back and enjoy the ride, everything makes sense...even if not right away.

The final Angel has been killed. The 'hero' of the story, Shinji Ikari, now regrets doing it, as he was the only person who seemed to ever like him for who he was. But there is no time to lament on personal demons, as the shadowy puppet masters in SEELE have set the final stage of their plan in motion.

The dreaded Third Impact.

What's even more surprising is that the entire series shows one, giant plan to actually SPEED ALONG the Third Impact, as it could lead Humanity to it's next evolutionary step.

And so, Humanity will now rely on a weak savior who may or may not lead humanity to it's oblivion. A hero who must first fight his own inner dragons, and come to terms with life, and love from himself and from others.

As a response to the public outcry that the last 2 episodes were someone strange and had no "Mecha Combat", the End of Eva has enough of both combat, AND philosophical scenes. A strange, but wonderful mix.

Asuka's fight against 9 Evas is absolutely the most STUNNING visual fight sequence I have ever seen. The energy and awesome scope of the battle is impossible to convey through words alone.

Though Asuka's character is as flawed as Shinji's, she finds redemption in this movie. Again, an amazing testimony of the Human Spirit and our will to live.

The emotional impact of this movie is also quite amazing. It brings reality and the mind to question, and asks us if being individuals is better than being a whole. Is life just a dream, and can we ever be Gods of our own Reality? Those who have watched the last two episodes of the series will see instances where the movie and episodes combine and compliment each other.

Finally, the animation is wonderful. Creepy and breathtaking. Powerfully deep, but also amazing on the physical conflict level as well. This movie is EASILY a match for Akira and is an instant classic.

Watch it with an open mind, and be prepared to be stunned. Be ready to question yourself. Be ready to use your mind in ways you may have not before. This is truly the End, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

DEEP!

Author: stanteau (stanteau@hotmail.com) from Ohio, US
28 April 2001

Going into this movie I had just finished the EVA series and was mentally drained.The first part,Air,left me totally stunned visually and emotionally.All my favorite characters were dying!Than came End of EVA ............Shinji's scream epitomizes the entire movie.It delves into the deepest,darkest human emotion and experience.From the amazing choking scene to the heart drenching "Farewell mother" scene EoE is perfect.I rewatched Kaoru and Rei's speech 3 times in a row.And Yui's advice to Shinji left me in complete tears.As the credits rolled there I sat,tears strolling down my eyes,wide eyed,with my mouth wide open.

People complain that it made no sense and they are right......to an extent.EoE makes you create your own movie.It is very mental as to what is happening.But what everyone (even Asuka) says to Shinji is so......deep and profound.....I will never see anything more meaningful,artistic,or emotional for as long as I live.

If i were to choose between my wife and this movie i would choose this movie

Author: neon_genisis_8 from Australia
5 November 2005

An epic series like Neon Genesis Evangelion comes to a close with the final installment, End of Evangelion. A masterpiece like Neon Genesis Evangelion should have an ending to live up to the show's greatness. End of Evangelion delivers and finally puts an end to the well told but complex story of Evangelion. With all the Angels defeated will SEELE be able to pull off its underlying ultimate plan? Will End of Evangelion bring the demise of the lovable characters of Evangelion? End of Evangelion starts off with the invasion of NERV as order by the secretive organization SEELE. SEELE is trying to seize EVA Unit 01 so they can start the Third Impact and realize their plans. The fate of mankind lies in Shinji Ikari who has psychologically given up at the start of the movie because of certain choices he makes. Meanwhile Asuka is being tormented because of her mother's death in the past.

The movie has some of the best animating I have seen in an anime movie. The animation is fluid and smooth. It is very well done by I.G. Productions (who did Ghost in the Shell and FLCL) and GAINAX Studios. Although I am a fan of the original Japanese cast, the English dub of this movie is one of the best dubs I have ever heard in an anime movie. The sound quality is amazing on the DVD, boasting 5.1 Dolby Digital EX Surround Sound in both English and Japanese. The DVD also includes a bonus commentary track with the voice actors and actresses; led by the voice actress who does Rei's voice in the English dub. It offers a lot of insight into the movie.

The story the movie follows is brilliant. Many fans of the series who were disappointed with the final two episodes of Evangelion; most think that End of Evangelion is an alternative ending. End of Evangelion tells the same story that episodes 25 and 26 but in the way the creators of the series originally wanted it. A great team like the one who made Evangelion would not change their artistic vision to meet the demands of lack luster fans. Director Hideaki Anno does an excellent in telling the story of the movie that puts Evangelion to a close.

End of Evangelion only falls short in one aspect. Many fans of the movie find it confusing and do not get the full point of the movie. They are disappointed in End of Evangelion because they lack understanding of the story. But this is not End of Evangelion's fault. The movie does an excellent job of telling the story and any fan who wants insight into this movie should watch it with the commentary and read the synopsis. I rather not hand anyone the answers but let them take it upon themselves to go out to find them. Once fans understand everything that is happening in the movie, they will see why it is such a masterpiece.

The movie End of Evangelion is one of the best movies ever created; it is second to none. The movie is excellent, the story development is incredible and the characters are brilliant. End of Evangelion is a true work of genius and deserves a perfect rating.

The Magnus Opus of anime

Author: etg1701 from United States
19 March 2006

I am at a loss for words to describe this work. It does for anime what Beethoven's 9th or Wagner's Ring cycle did for classical music. End of Evangelion combines intense action with emotional drama superbly. A number of scenes depicting graphic violence and sexual content will probably bother some viewers. These scenes, however, serve to underscore the themes of the movie for the most part.

The animation is excellent and the music is great (and features a number of nice works by Bach) and the symbolism is truly rich and elaborate, involving many elements of Christianity and Judaism as the entire series is sort of a take on the Apocalypse. However, as many have already mentioned, watching the anime series before hand is necessary to even remotely understand what is going on.

Absolutely Amazing, My life is now complete

Author: Kayne Brookes (Manga_Man) from Roma, Australia
2 September 2000

Being a fan of both Evangelion and Anime in general, this movie was the best I've ever seen. It takes the form of two episodes and serves as an alternate ending to the series. Everything about this piece amazed me, from the brilliant animation, to the subtle and deep storyline, to the feeling of dramatic climax the series was building up to in the first place. I have to say that Hideaki Anno managed to play my emotions like an instrument, and the effect is never lessened, no matter how many times I watch it.

this is the end

Author: neon47 from United States
11 May 2005

A precaution one might want to take before viewing this is: if one HASN'T seen the series they are NOT going to get this. And even if one has seen the series they still might not get all of this, but that's the beauty of Anno's masterpiece Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion. This alternate ending to the series was released after fans complained about the series original ending. If you've seen the original ending you already know that the actual "ending" analyzes the characters Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misato. While episode 26 of the original series is a complete fixation on Shinji, everything that happens in that episode still happens to him in the last part of this. Only his decision reverses. This shows a much more dramatic and extended version of Episodes 25 and 26 however, and answers a lot of the questions that were left at the end of the series and does a great job generating new ones. If you're a fan of the original series then this is a must see because it's way better than the original ending.

An impressive ending to an excellent series

Author: DX Garten from Australia
18 June 2000

This is an impressive ending to the excellent Evangelion saga. Everything that you thought should be in the last two episodes but were not there is here from massacre to evisceration. This film, however, is not totally different from the last two episodes. It basically shows what happened in real life before and while Shinji performs his self-assessment in episode 25 and 26. Many of the scenes that are shown vaguely in the two episodes are clarified in this film (for example, the Misato and Ritsuko scenes).

It'll make you cheer, it'll make you cry, it'll make you seek psychological help.

Author: bmyatt_uk from Medway, England
26 November 2003

***SPOILER WARNING, ALL SHIPS STEER WIDE!!!***

EoE is probably the ultimate ending to an anime series. Neon Genesis Evangelion is the greatest anime series of all time in my opinion, and although the ending was confusing, it was still pretty happy.

End of Evangelion is NOT happy. lets get that straight right from the start. Anno was pressurised into making this series by the fans, who werent exactly kind about it, and, in the words of Amanda Winn-Lee (the voice of rei ayanami and the director of the English Language version) the whole movie is one big f*** you to those fans. oh, Anno gave them everythig they wanted, alright, but not in the WAY they wanted.

We get all the revelations about the characters pasts and relationships. although the scene of Shinji Masturbating over a Comatose Asuka is fairly disturbing, it goes some way to illustrating the state of mind Shinji is in at the start of the movie. to use his own words he is "So f***ed up."

and thats the core of EoE. Shinji is in such and emotionally shattered condition - he has just been forced to kill his friend in Kaworu, Misato and Rei have become so distant they scare him, and Asuka is in a coma, so Shinji is at so low a level as to be open to precisly waht the shadowy group SEELE wants to do with him.

and they want to initiate third impact. yeah, great idea.

so, what funn stuff do you get for your hard earned cash? well, you get Asuka coming back from her coma in a blaze of light, destroy the JSSDF, and shredding a load of mass-produced evangelions in 3-1/2 minutes. you get Shinji finally resolving his own emotional turmoil, and you get all the characters going "SPLAT!" literally.

10/10.

A true classical ending to a groundbreaking series

Author: Everkill2000 from Australia
19 September 2002

Neon Genesis Evangelion was a animated series that was never seen before by any one, i.e its amazing storyline which spans further then all that was seen in the series, great and interesting characters (finally, we don't get to see a all round tough guy here) and great mecha fights. However, one thing that disappointed me was the ending to the series, but thankfully, The End Of Evangelion changed all that.

The Alternate ending sees the preparation of the Third Impact. I won't spoil the story as it is really confusing for those who have not seen the series (which is extremely highly adviced). Here, all questions are answered but for a price, something completely unexpected.

With this, director Anno isn't doing the anime which heros live, all is well (like hmm...well...Pokemon for instance), Neon Genesis Death/Rebirth is extremely dark and the ending surpasses that of Akira. This is a great change and sets up for a unexpected climax.

Unlike the final episode of the series, this one has some of the most memorable mecha fights, sure if you thought Shinji eating the Angel alive was something wait till you see Asuka battling the EVA series, this is memorable stuff here, and the ending to this battle can be quite disturbing for some.

The expansive story ends here, and everything that is answered keeps the audience awake, the innovation with the religious references are well done, who'd thought that a cartoon about robots would explain why robots are shapped in the way they are.

Overall, a true memorable classic for a science-fiction series, however, do not start but start with the series, its safer there before you move on to here.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]