IMDb > American Beauty (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

American Beauty More at IMDbPro »

Perfect Beauty

Author: The_Core from Seattle, WA. USA
12 May 2000

Oh, my God... I never thought I would see it in my lifetime: *The Perfect Ten Screenplay*.

I missed this one in the theater, and after all the hoopla at the Academy Awards, I figured it was worth bypassing, despite its number two status on the IMDB. It didn't seem to be "my type of movie," from what I had heard about it. I'm happy to say that I was as wrong as can be. This film deserves every Academy Award, every nomination, every other award and accolade it has gotten and will ever get. I'm only kicking myself now that I didn't see it when it was in the theater, to become transfixed and hypnotized for two short hours, and the chance to rise and give a standing ovation.

I wouldn't know where to begin reviewing a film like this, a film so much greater than the sum of its parts, surpassing even its own vision of itself, literally transcending its ideas. I won't comment on the acting, because I didn't even notice any acting in this film. I was just captivated every second, transfixed.

Now that a screenplay has been written that is worthy of a 10/10 rating (I've seen a couple 9.9's), this film can only be equalled; never surpassed. Being 35 years old, I doubt I will live to see its equal again, and I'm grateful that I was around to catch it at the midpoint of life.

I don't need to say anything else, because if you haven't seen "American Beauty" and you're wasting your time reading this dumb review instead, why aren't you on your way to the video store, *RIGHT NOW*? GO!!!