IMDb > Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India

Can't be any better

Author: rafi_abdul (rafi_abdul@hotmail.com) from scotland
5 May 2002

Well ,I am a movie buff but still didn't bother to watch Lagaan for a long time as the title didn't attract me much .I have heard from my friends that the movie is good and the story is simple .Still I was not very keen to watch the film.Eventually ,when it was selected for oscars something caught me .I thought to myself .'Hang on ,there must be something in it,otherwise it won't be selected for oscars'(it doesn't mean all the movies selected for oscars are good...).I brought the video and sat to watch it ,guess what ,I never got up from my seat .I can't beleive myself.It was terrific.The story wasn't simple ,at least in the way I saw it . My interpretation goes like this .The cricket match is actually a symbolic representation of Indian Independence .As everybody would have guessed ,its a team building effort (hindus ,muslims,untouchables and traitors ..) from the Indian side to accomplish the task .Some scenecs like ,the untouchable guy .He being a spinner and everybody in the team hugging him ,whenever he took a wicket .This was one of the aspect of untouchability prevailing at that time. When everything was going bad. The muslim guy comes in ,limping though.Which I guess ,the director wants to show there were some internal skirmishes within Islamic groups and dragging thier feet ,in fighting together with the hindu brothers.The bottom line is there is more to it than what most people thought(atleast some of my friends ) .The script was excellent and Ashutosh has done an excellent job .Amir's acting is getting better every day and A.R Rahaman ,the best you can get.On the whole keep up the good work guys.Atleast we have started the trend,with a nomination for oscars.