Disney in the wartime

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
20 April 2013

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Firing Line is another example of the Disney wartime shorts. They are interesting and worth the viewing though not perhaps your idea of entertaining. Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Firing Line is one of the better ones. Like most of the Disney wartime shorts, there is not much especially that you'd call entertaining, apart from when Pluto is paid in sausages rather than money. But also like them it makes for great historical value, with a message that is simple and well put across with no heavy-handedness. There is not what you call a story specifically, but it doesn't bore you and makes its point effectively, and it was a good idea to use Disney characters to do so. Minnie and Pluto are not one of their stronger characters, but they are still very engaging and are well-matched together. The animation is great, being crisply drawn with handsome colours, and the music is lively and appealingly orchestrated.

All in all, interesting and very nicely done. 8/10 Bethany Cox

So THAT'S what they did with all the grease!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
17 November 2009

I have known for a long time that during WWII there was a concerted effort to get families to save their used grease to donate to the war effort. I thought that somehow it could be turned into munitions of some sort but was fuzzy on the details. Well, thanks to Pluto and Minnie Mouse, my questions have all been answered. I doubt if you, too, pondered this burning question...if so, be sure to see this short.

Apparently the bacon grease and meat drippings can be turned into explosives (no big surprise) because it could be processed into glycerin (used in TNT, for example). The think that surprised me, though, was that apparently you could get paid for doing this--it was not strictly done on the donation basis. So, when you see your neighborhood butcher, you could bring your tin of congealed grease for cash! Interesting.

Overall, informative and well done. Using the Disney characters was a nice touch.