IMDb > Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii

Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Another great concert done by the king!

Author: Stephen Verhaeren (Spwysteve@aol.com) from Palos Park, IL USA
5 August 2002

If you own this concert on video or dvd, you'll see Elvis Presley coming out onto the stage. And you will see Elvis Presley singing the songs in the order by what it says on the box. And you see Elvis Presley being backed by a lot of people which are more bands than solo people. On Sunday Morning January 14, 1973 at 12:30 (Hawaii time) Elvis Presley performs this concert at Honolulu International Convention Center. Joining Elvis Presley on Stage are James Burton, Charlie Hodge, Jerry Scheff, J.D Sumner, Ronnie Tutt, Kathy Westmoreland, and John Wilkinson. And the bands are The Sweet Inspirations, JD. Sumner and the Stamps, and The Joe Guercia Orchestra. This concert was produced and directed by Marty Pasetta. Elvis and his group was to rise $25,000.00 and they raised $75,000.00. No wonder why there are 5,500 people in attendance. The songs are C.C. Rider, Burnin' Love, Something, You Gave Me a Mountain, Early Morning Rain, Streamroller Bules, My Way, Love Me, Johnny B Goode, It's Over, Blue Suede Shoes, I'm So Lonesome I could Cry, I Can't Stop Loving You, Hound Dog, Blue Hawaii, What Now My Love, Fever, Welcome to My World, Suspicious Minds, I'll Remember You, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Long Tall Sally, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Ku Ku I Po, Dixie, Glory Glory Hallelujah, Hush Little Baby, Big Hunk of Love and Can't Help in Love. This is a great concert to watch, and If you like this check out Elvis 68 Comeback Special. And suppose people who were lucky enough to be at this concert, and still alive today, they might even enjoy this concert again on video and dvd, if if they didn't have a good view of Elvis Presley. 10/10

Unsurpassed yet

Author: mrfrenchy77 from B.C. Canada
26 October 2001

To this date October 2001, I have seen many concerts by other performers on TV, all of them were very good but none yet to equal the performance put on by Elvis and his band members from that concert in Hawaii, I still watch the video as often as I can and every time I get just as emotional as the time before and before and before. I only hope that if the tape wears out I can find a replacement.

This is the one......

Author: Blake W from United States
6 August 2005

This is the one to show young people who want to know Elvis. Not the silly movies he made in the 60's. Not even Elvis On Tour or Thats The Way It Is. Show people who want to know what Elvis was all about...Aloha From Hawaii. This is The King of Rock and Roll in his court. He looks stunning. He sounds awesome. You can see the charisma that made him an icon. His white jumpsuits have become kind of a running joke. However in 1973 this was the style a lot of artists were wearing on stage. The one he sports in Aloha From Hawaii looks beautiful. He even tosses the cape and belt out to the audience. I love the 70's Elvis. The jewelery, the jumpsuits, the limos...all the excess he became famous for. I know that excess (in all forms) drove him to an early grave, but here we get to see him in all his glory before it spun out of his control. Aloha From Hawaii is Elvis, takin care of business.

Fantastic Elvis Concert

Author: Tonci Pivac from New Zealand
13 March 2006

This Was by far the best Elvis Presley Concert I have ever seen, I love the way he moves to the song "Fever" I have every single Elvis Concert on DVD but this one truly takes the cake over the others. I also think that The American Eagle Jumpsuit he wore in this show was his finest. It was cool to see a lot of Elvis' great humor on stage too, like during "Suspicious Minds" he changes the words, "Well don't you know I'm court in a trap I can't walk out "I HOPE THIS SUIT DON'T TEAR UP BABY" and when he spilt water all over his piano player. Fantastic concert. I love it when he sings, "You Gave Me A Mountain" that is one of his best songs.

Appreciating Elvis

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
14 January 2010

I hadn't seen, even on TV, an Elvis concert performance in 30 years and even though I grew up with "The King" and rock 'n roll, I still was surprised how good this concert turned out to be. I also remember hearing and reading - for years - how fat and bloated Elvis looked in his "last years" but that must have been later because he looked great here.

It also surprised me that Presley did Beatles' songs along with other tunes made famous by other people....and did them really well. Maybe I shouldn't have been because Elvis did Carl Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes" way back in the beginning of his career and he liked Chuck Berry songs, which he does in this concert, along with a Jerry Lee Lewis and a Little Richard song. I wish Elvis had done more blues numbers because he sounded very good on "Steamroller Blues," a James Taylor song.

Anyway, whether it's a ballad, or a country song, a gospel tune, a rockabilly number.....whatever, Presley sounded good, showing his versatility. He also had - no surprise - a great band and backup singers. I particularly appreciate the work of lead guitarist James Burton, who's still going strong at age 70.

This concert is available, by the way, on two different DVDs: the "TV concert" and an "extended" version which includes his rehearsals and other bonus features.

This might be Elvis four years before his death and, yes, he's not the super-energetic rockabilly kid from the '50s, but the man wasn't just a legendary performer, this concert shows how well he could sing! I'm only sorry it took me this long to fully appreciate the man's talents.

The King never looked better!

Author: newyorkjetfan1 (newyorkjetfan1@aol.com) from United States
19 August 2006

It irritates me no end when people refer to Elvis Presley's rhinestone-studded jumpsuits. They are demonstrating their ignorance because Elvis never wore rhinestones. The spectacular American Eagle jumpsuit he wore on January 14, 1973 was studded with jewels (not rhinestones)and weighed in excess of 70 pounds. The jeweled cape he wore for the closing number (which he then flung into the crowd) weighed 40 pounds and cost $8,000.00 alone. I have never heard what the jumpsuit cost, but one has to figure that it was even more expensive. The belt that he tossed into the audience after singing An American Trilogy was a replacement for the original. Elvis' costume designer, Bill Belew, had to hurriedly make a new belt in time for the show. Elvis had impulsively given the first belt to Jack Lord's wife a day or two before the Aloha telecast. Elvis' personal jeweler had to fly back to the States for more rubies before Belew could complete the new belt. Also, regardless of what you have read or heard to the contrary, Elvis was in superb shape for this show. He looked great and was in good voice, particularly on What Now My Love and An American Trilogy. If he seemed a bit distant or preoccupied at times, it could be due to the fact that he had filed for divorce from Priscilla less than a week earlier. Due to the time constraints of a live telecast, Elvis could not be too spontaneous. The only real complaint I have of this show is the perfunctory rendition of Hound Dog. Elvis had always hated the song and recorded it in 1956 only at the urging of then RCA president Steve Sholes. He performed it grudgingly and his ambivalence is evident when he performs it live. He also hated Burning Love, which was a recent hit for him at the time of the Aloha concert. Almost every other recording artist saves their most recent hit for the end of the show. Elvis did Burning Love at the very beginning of Aloha, right after C. C. Rider (which opened the concert). Perhaps he wanted to get it out of the way. I suppose he hadn't had time to loathe Burning Love as much as Hound Dog, because he actually gave it a decent effort here. All in all, this performance shows Presley at his finest. His decline started soon afterward. The 1977 CBS TV special is a testament to how far Elvis had fallen, and is truly heartbreaking to witness.

Legendary concert that rocked the world!

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
30 August 2000

On Sunday morning, January 14, 1973 a historic concert by Elvis Presley was beamed around the world via satellite. In excess of one billion people watched Elvis play to standing room only at the Honolulu International Center in Hawaii. The special engagement was to raise money for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund. A goal of 25 thousand dollars collected was said to be matched and doubled.

Elvis was in peak form musically and physically. He was thin and drop dead gorgeous. His voice was very powerful as he belted out 23 songs, highlighted by 'American Trilogy' and the Kui Lee song that Elvis originally recorded in 1966, 'I'll Remember You'. A top selling soundtrack of the concert was released and is also considered historic.

This was a milestone in the unequaled career of THE KING!

Hail hail rock 'n' roll

Author: swinebird
21 November 2006

This is it, folks. This is the greatest concert of all time. To me it's to see the light.

Elvis Presley looks more handsome than ever in the film. He sings better than ever, but doesn't do so much rock 'n' roll than he made in the '68 Comeback Special (original name "Elvis"). There he was king of rock 'n' roll, in Aloha from Hawaii he is King of Music.

Special Edition and Deluxe Edition DVD's includes the new edition which is much better than the original US version, which was aired later than the live concert to Asia, Europe and other areas.

wonderful television event

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
30 March 2005

In 1973, Elvis Presley appeared for two nights in Hawaii and this film of one of those nights was beamed to numerous countries around the world by satellite, the first concert to be so treated. (The other night's concert has been since released as 'Alternate Aloha' and is just as good).

After a crash diet, Presley looks good and is in amazing voice, with his usual backing band and singers (the Stamps Quartet and the Sweet Inspirations). This concert contains gem after gem (including I'll Remember You, a poignant song which fits the moment perfectly).

Perhaps his last great filmed concert (the one in 1977 is simply sad, despite his voice still being in evidence), 'Aloha From Hawaii' is a fantastic memento of an unsurpassed artist who could sing in almost every style. This concert proves that.

Surprisingly lame and tired Elvis on stage

Author: mara-nalle from Finland
16 November 2006

What can I say? Almost everyone seem to think that this concert is the greatest ever done. I just can't understand why? Take any, I mean any, Elvis-concert during 1969-1970 and it's far better than this. Aloha's song list is dull, Elvis is very careful when singing and not using his voice (saving it) and where's the gyrations and movements? No, this is not a great concert, not even a very good one.

Still, I give 7 points since Elvis did work very hard to prepare this historical event - lot of training and hungry diet to look good and he didn't forget any lyrics as he did in rehearsal concert (and in many others before and after Aloha). So, Elvis was in top form and performed without any errors or mistakes but the performance itself was very, very lame and way too polished. There was no any kind of thunder and lighting or excitement which were the trademarks of the E.P. concert