IMDb > "The Wild Thornberrys" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Wild Thornberrys"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Wild Thornberrys" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A Fresh Look That Also Teaches!

Author: SmallPkgTNT from USA
30 June 2004

I found myself even as a young adult finding this show to be so wonderful! It is so nice to see a show that is interested in teaching the children about the environment and the animals without them even knowing. It is most children's dream to be able to travel and meet and talk to animals. This helps some of us even young at heart recapture our youth! I love the characters and the plot for each episode. I just hated to see it go. And so what if the family is a little wacky! That is what I believe makes them fun and interesting! A lucky little girl that can talk to animals that at one time in her life did not fit in and now she has her own special little nitch in life. Nick definitely creates new and interesting shows and I thank them for "The Wild Thornberry's"!

In defense of a great show

Author: Keith F. Odom (predsfan32479) from Knoxville, Tennessee
2 October 2001

I am writing in defense of the best animated show on TV-Nickelodeon's "The Wild Thornberrys"-which was mercilessly slammed in two recent User Comments, one of which deemed the show "unappealing and ignorant."

I couldn't disagree more.

I discovered "Thornberrys" in May, 2001, and am now totally, hopelessly hooked! If the show has one main theme it is the proper relationship between humans and nature, a theme explored in each episode through the bespectacled, 12-year-old eyes of Eliza Thornberry, the only human, out of six billion, who can talk to animals (including her best friend, a chimpanzee) just as easily as she can to her own parents or sister. As for the animals, I think that the show's producers go out of their way to present as realistic a portrayal as possible of the many different species featured on the show. For example, one episode featured a pair of Tasmanian devils who did not-repeat, did NOT-speak in gibberish or travel in a cyclonic motion, slicing through everything in their path. Th-th-th-that's right, folks; Looney Tunes got it wrong.

Apart from the animals, what I like most about "The Wild Thornberrys" is the family-comedy aspect of the show. The Thornberrys are, after all, a quirky but close-knit family, with two loving-though occasionally frazzled-parents, two perpetually squabbling siblings (I swear that Arlene Klasky and Gabor Csupo, while developing the show, must have secretly researched my own sisters, who drove each other crazy until my older sister went away to college!), and a "wild boy" foster child. As family shows go, "Thornberrys" is light-years better than the show it used to precede on Nick's prime-time schedule, "The Brady Bunch." In conclusion, to make a long story short, "The Wild Thornberrys" rocks!

A Cause for Applause!

Author: VitaniGirl (msf2@rcn.com) from I'm proud to be an American!!
3 October 2001

The Wild Thornberrys is a cause for applause, folks! Anyone who doesn't like it must have mistaken this show for some other thing. Because I can't understand why anyone would dislike this sweet, educational, fun, family-friendly show about a lovable 12-year-old kid with "the gift of gab." What I mean by this is that Eliza can talk to animals, and don't you wish you could, too? I do! It's my totally favorite show, with Rocket Power in close second, and As Told By Ginger in third. Other than that, I don't watch too much TV. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent.

Smashing!

Author: simpleandcleanuh from United States
2 October 2006

This was one of the best children's shows-ever. I watched it when I was young and I watch it now. I learned so much about animals. There were so many good qualities in it, like how it was 30 minutes long per episode, not one episode in 15 minutes. It made me appreciate the wildlife in the world. It was very exciting, too, and it was more than just "And the snake slithers...catching it's prey..." it had family drama in it too. The siblings fought, the 16 year old just wanted a place where no one would bother her. It was comedic as well, the dad was just hysterical and the mom funny. The movies also had the same qualities as the show, and because they could be longer, they got more in depth with animals. I'm annoyed they took the show away, but maybe one day they'll bring it back.

Yiggidyyibbidyya

Author: highlites from England
2 August 2003

OK at 23 I'm a little old to be watching this BUT it has the superb comic voice talents of Tim Curry who makes me laugh. There is a lot of sophisticated humour coming from the parents and a lot of Curry's oneliners genuinely make me giggle. Another entertaining bit of voice casting comes from Flea who does his yiggayiggida thing.

I'm surprised about some of the comments here, I was under the impression that Wild Thornberries was a really popular cartoon?! It's not meant to be a factual nature show. Come on, it's a whole lot better then that Sponge Bob SquarePants thing.

Thornberrys - Excellent

Author: halian from Oxfordshire, England
27 October 2002

Like (too few!) others I am amazed at the negative views people have of the Thornberrys. Whilst I have never thought of Eliza as a b*tch I suppose if you view The Wild Thornberrys in a bad light then she could be seen as such. Having said that she is the opposite of most kid protagonists in that she is ugly and geeky looking - yet wins through.

I have not seen most of the other cartoons mentioned (Butt Ugly Martians, Rocco?, etc.) so can't compare with them. However, compared with most of the cr*p which is on TV for kids, T.W.T. is LOADS better, with lots of witty one-liners and good characterization. Nigel's genuine English accent (Tim Curry is er, English, no?) and amusing comments are excellent. Debbie is also amusing as a stereo typed teenager, and I think Darwin is excellent. As a tiny morsel to balance things out, Donnie is an irritating little br*t (doing it myself now) although occasionally amusing.

Smart, funny, gets kids thinking about nature and wildlife. All in all, awesome!

Author: CanisLupus45 from United States
30 December 2011

Admittedly, I may be slightly biased because of my love for animals, but for what it's worth, I think this is a great show. I registered on IMDb just so I could add my positive review to the mix. I can't come to terms with the people who dismiss this cartoon or its protagonist. People write Eliza off and bill her as irritating, and then add "also, she's ugly." I can't help but feel that some shallow-minded individuals call her irritating simply because they don't like the way she looks. This is a kids' show. Should kids' shows teach that you need to be pretty in order to be accepted? I hope we can all answer with an emphatic "no." Eliza is a kid herself, with glasses and braces. Did you look like a supermodel at the age of twelve? I didn't then and don't now. If anything, I feel that kids are able to connect better with a character that is "real." I certainly did at that age. She makes mistakes, she does act bratty from time to time, but her passion for wildlife and her love for her friends and family are real.

I have the whole show on my computer and I still enjoy watching it. There are loads of funny bits to make you laugh, and while the pedantic biologist side of me notices the erroneous things rather quickly (the Great Crested Grebe sounding exactly like a peacock, Eliza's mention of "alligators in the Congo," the jaguars presented as social cats, etc.), it is really clear that they tried to be accurate and faithful to reality. Aside from small things like that, which most kids I'm sure wouldn't notice, this show is pretty educational. If you were like me as a kid, you would be delighted that some of these animals your parents don't know about are the star of the latest episode, and if you didn't know about an animal, well, the show served to reveal them to you. If it sparks a child's interest in nature/science, it's well worth it. People who relate to Eliza and understand why she gets excited to be out in the jungle befriending wild animals will smile all the way through The Wild Thornberrys. People who don't like animals, well, this might not be the subject matter you're looking for. Maybe it is more niche than I realise, but that doesn't make it bad.

How could you say this show is bad?

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 February 2009

This show is very good, much better than ChalkZone at any rate. I have 6 of the episodes on DVD, and all of them are really funny and educational, and I also remember catching it everyday after school and being fascinated by the different animals and locations. That is still the case now. The animation is colourful, and I wish you would stop associating people as beautiful, and making personal remarks about the characters' appearances. remember, true beauty comes from within. Eliza is a kid who talks to animals, which is a retread of Doctor Dolittle, but still original. A misunderstood character, she does have moments of idiocy but her heart is in the right place. Darwin is hilarious,and he and Eliza at times are a great double act. Debbie is wonderfully voiced by Danielle Harris, and is seen as a typical teenager, pretty, funny and sometimes grumpy. Debbie is a great teenage representation. The parents add a lot to the show, especially Nigel, who has some of the funniest lines of the whole show, and if you have the wonderful Tim Curry on board you can never go wrong. You would really like The Wild Thornberrys, if only you'd give it a chance. 9/10 Bethany Cox

One of the last GOOD nicktoons

Author: rocky599415 from United States
11 July 2009

In defense of this show its not as good as Nick Shows like Doug, Rugrats, Rocko, etc. But it was one of the last good Nicktoons before Nickoldeon ruined there self's. This show ran from 1998-2004. I remember when this show first game on back in 1998 with the Burgerking toys that they had for that month with the Kids Meal back then. This show premiered on a Sunday night and the first episode was where they let Debbie drive and she put her bubble gum(Debbie was always chewing bubble gum anyone remember that episode where she let one get huge and then it popped on her face and got somewhat in her hair? no not the one where Donnie popped one in her hair but i forget where the setting was in the one were she blew the big bubble when it popped on her face) under the Accerlator pedal and they RV got stuck. Well the Characters in this show was Eliza the main character who could speak to all Animals. Her monkey friend Darwin, her Sister Debbie, her Mom(Can't remember the name) and her Nigel voiced by Tim Curry and her Apodpted brother Donnie. Also there swarm enemies can't remember the name but i remember one had an eye patch and a wooden leg. This is another Nicktoon show that i liked that i can remember from the production line. I remember the episode with the oil tanker leak and Eliza tried to help the animals where she got trapped by the fire. How bout the episode where they were attacked by sharks and RV started sinking. Or the one Eliza was blamed for upsetting the Humpback Whales. Then there was the one where Eliza was tricked by a leopard or Cheata to help them but she then almost ended up getting killed. Then there was the T.V. movie which i still remember till this day clearly because one scene with the Forrest fire reminded me of the Land Before Time III. The Orgin of Donnie where they return to were Donnie came from and then found out his parents had died from Poachers =[. But there was a scene in it where a Forrest fire started and it reminded me of the scene in The Land Before Time III where they had to escape the great valley because of a Forrest Fire. Now i did see the Movie and i can say the movie was really a good Movie. The Crossover between this and Rugrats was just an alright movie. This show was a really good nick show and like i said earlier it ran from 1998-2004. I saw up till 2002 and i don't remember any new episodes after that. This show did air on Nicktoonss TV like other Classic Nicktoons but hasn't been on there in a couple of years. I Honestly believe this show was canceled along with Hey Arnold And THe Rugrats to let Spongebob become bigger. This week is sponge bobs 10th anniversary. Spongebob is nothing compared to these nicktoons.

Well this show has yet to be released on DVD but since that Deal between Nickoldeon and Amazon.com to release old Nickshows i think this show has a chance of becoming released on DVD. This was good shows and one of the last good ones. Its not the last Great one because it never lived up to the standards of the other Nicktoons. Eitherway There is hope for this being released on DVD. This is a good nicktoon from the 90s.

My favourite show when I was younger - why did they have to cancel it?

Author: filmsbythefire from United Kingdom
3 February 2009

Oh, I absolutely loved this show! Every character, every animal, every episode - it was just fantastic! Eliza and Darwin made me laugh so much, and as I got older I began to laugh at Debbie too, as I understood her teenage troubles. Nigel and Mariannae are the perfect team, I'd watch their show any day! I was so crushed when they removed it, and anytime they had it on TV after that I was over the moon! They put it on On Demand one summer (only the first eight episodes or so) and I'd spend whole afternoons watching them one after the other... but the worst part? It is now back on a channel called NickToonsters - and IT'S ON SKY! And I can't watch it :( Long live the thornberries :D (Okay, a little over the top I admit)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]