IMDb > "Total Request Live" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Total Request Live"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Total Request Live" More at IMDbPro »

biggest load of Commy BS!

Author: from Statesboro
22 August 2000

TODAY's LINE-UP... THE SAME 10 VIDEOS PLAYED YESTERDAY, ONLY IN A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ORDER!!!

Get some variety in there. 65 days should be 35 days. 65 days is enough time for those teen boppers to absorb all the publicity and pre-pubescent fans cheering them on, and then to shoot another video covered with horrid dance moves and revealing clothing. They honestly should do something to get more out of it. But the sad part of it all is TRL and MTV Jams countdown are pretty much the only times MTV plays videos anymore(except for the hours between 2-5am when everybodies sleeping).

They carefully handpick the 'beautiful people' to be in their studio audience, and then the cameras only pan on good lookers on the street. when was the last time you saw a fat ugly girl in the studio? in the street audience, everyone is holding signs 'i love nsync' 'britney is the best' and 'carson, let us up'. sad really. It like they are programming us. And Carson can't think for himself. I never heard him badmouth a boyband. He can't on national TV.

Basically, TRL is a front for a communist takeover. They brainwash you with the teen boppers and boybands. Then they send in the boyband attack drones to rid of all non-fans(a.k.a. those with the age in double-digits and IQs higher than their shoe size). Mass hysteria, total anarchy, cats and dogs living together. Then all the girls are put into bare midrifts, hosed-on make up, and given breasts faker than their personality. Conversations are prerecorded and lip synced. Girls deny the obvious and then later admit to it.

Please, boycott TRL to prevent this tragedy.

I Remember When this Show was Total Request

Author: sunset-at-night from New York
20 October 2005

I was home today and started channel surfing and Total Request Live was on. Man, this show brings back memories. I was a big fan of this show as an an teen in 98' (I cringe lol) and I have not seen this show since 2001. That's when an already quirky show just became boring to me after so many changes.

A lot of people may not remember but Total Request Live started out not being live in 98'. It was called Total Request with Carson Daly and it first played at night. There was no live audience just Carson Daly sitting down by a TV. The show was 30 minutes long and counted down the top videos of the day. I remember Hanson being #1 all the time with their video "Weird".

Then some thing happened in the later part of 98'. The show moved to afternoons. It went from 30 to 90 minutes long. It got an live audience inside and out. The birth of TRL was born. As a teen this show was fun to come home too. Even though the countdown was shallow and more of an popularity contest and not many good music videos made it but they had a lot of guests and music and it was just fun and cool at the time to us teens. This show believe it or not made pop acts like Nsync and BSB even more popular than they already were. They owned the countdown seriously. If BSB was not #1 than Nsync was and vice versa. But TRL also made grunge metal bands like Korn, Limp Bizket popular too. People who were into pop were introduced to rock and vice versa from the countdown.

Carson Daly became an overnight sensation and was so popular as an DJ they even started an be an MTV DJ contest. I remember when Jesse Camp won the contest. Oh, man watching him was hilarious...he was great.

Then 2001 rolls in and the show just changed. They added a whole lot of DJ's that I could give a crap about. Carson was hardly featured then he finally left. The videos were cut short or never really showed. I guess music just changed in general. I always thought BSB and Britney Spears were horrible acts to be always topping the countdown but I watch today and you have Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, Ryan Cabrera all in the countdown and wow, Nsync, Britney and BSB don't look so bad.

I guess my most reason for stop watching TRL is that I am a teen no more. I just grew up. Whatever it was I will always remember this show at once being really fun to watch as a teen.

" Hi Carson, I want to request...

Author: Willow192 from Orlando, Florida
22 March 2001

...something new!" This show is extremely overrated. Why watch it every day? You know it's gonna be the same people at the same number as they were the previous day. Unless by some strange coincidence NSYNC and Backstreet Boys swap #1 and #2.

Why can't they make the show better? Why can't they play a variety of videos? It's always the same teeny bopper nonsense...because obviously all of the people that like rock and alternative have better things to do with their time than call up Carson Daily at 4:00 in the afternoon and scream into a phone for some video.

Carson is barely even there. WTF is he doing? How many times can I see special guest stars filling in for him? And they are always Mandy Moore, 98 degrees, etc., etc., etc. Or else he will get one of MTV's lame boy band appearing vjs (Serena Altul and Bryan McFaden...I know I spelled those wrong but you get the point). Why don't they just kicked Carson off and hire Dave Holmes in his place? I like Dave way better.

They really need to switch the music choices. Every single day you see the same videos. It's all BSB, Nsync, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spear, 98 degrees, etc., etc., etc. What about Placebo? Or the Goo Goo Dolls? And has anyone noticed that Carson is always hitting on the boys from NSYNC, Fred Durst, and Kid Rock. I swear...he tries to act like he's being sarcastic...but I really think he's serious.

Was Once Good...

Author: gluba2000 from South Boston, Massachusetts
30 October 2004

I'll admit I used to like this show but back when it was good!

They used to have good artists on the countdown mixed in with the crappy "artists" nowadays it's a bunch of talentless whore and label product cash cows who top the TRL countdown!

If you've turned it onto TRL recently you can see that the TRL demographic has turned from it's bubble gum pop thing to it's "punk/sk8er" phase with the oh so talented (yeah right!) Simple Plan and Ashlee Simpson topping the TRL charts!

Then they slowly started showing less and less of the music video.

Nowadays they only play about 5 seconds of the video to squeeze in the "next big thing" or how they're kissing whoever's ass is their that day.

Carson has left the show and he made it more bearable to watch.

Is it me or am I the only one who find the black hosts of this show to be so stereotyped with the "hey y'all!"'s and the "fo' sho!"'s always said!

This show used to be good but it has slowly made it to unbearable.

You can tell when the show's viewers have gone through phases...right now it's at it's "sk8er/punk" phase...it also has a ghetto phase from time to time where the pathetic suburban kids dress just like their street homies G Unit!

I just felt like putting in my 2 cents on this terrible show!

what is the big deal

Author: thetyrantj from albuquerque
3 November 2000

I used to watch this show for awhile but then it got just plain stupid. What really started to anger me was the fact that all these teeny bopper and boy bands started to always be in the top 10. I mean in the summer and fall of 1999 the backstreet bots were number 3/4 of the time and this very quickly tires this show and makes it very flat and now in 2000 two other familar names dominate the top 10, Eminem and N'sync are always in the top 10 and what is sad is that "the real slim shady" is an extremely dumb song and it was number one quite a few times. I mean when is MtV going to get their head out of the ground and allow some other groups they've banned to be aired such as ICP and Twiztid. I would also like to see some more punk bands like Bad religion or the offspring make it into the top 10. basically this show is for middle schoolers and high schoolers who are into this type of pop music and my advice to America is "don't let boy bands and teeny boppers" take over mainstream music.

Here's my request:

Author: William Wright (wrightw@ionet.net) from Broken Arrow, OK
30 December 1999

I want to see bands like Pavement and Pixies on this show. Why doesn't anyone ever request artists like Tom Waits, or Liz Phair? All I ever see are teen-dreams like Britney Spears. Where's Pedro the Lion? Where's The Dismemberment Plan? Carson, show us the new Alpha video! I wanna see the new Rufus Wainwright cut! Will great bands like King Crimson ever make it on TRL? What about pop giants like Elvis Costello or Wil Oldham? Where are classics like The Beatles, the Stones or the Velvet Underground? Big Star anyone? I want to see Edgar Verese music performed by the late great Frank Zappa, not some pre-pubescent spank rag! If you have to, at least show us Spike Jonez's newest Bjork video, or that Squarepusher video about the Japanese children in the mental ward!

Oh well, I heard they played Beck once...

*sigh*

the perfect show

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, TN
15 February 2002

This is the perfect show if you want to torture anybody to death that has any real sense as to what good music is all about. Just get a nice 8 hour tape and tape this for a few days till you fill it up, strap them to the chair and put a tape of this absolute garbage in the vcr it will kill them, if they know what good music is. I know this show is just for the mindless who think pop, rap and r&b artist are good, despite the fact that maybe 1 out of 100 can actually play an instrument. This show hardly ever has any good rock music and heavy metal is banned from MTV. And just about every person on the street or in the studio only voted for whoever cause they're cute and then they have to scream then we have to listen to the VJ with no personality Carson Daly. So if you're a dumb teenage girl this is your show it's all for you not for anybody else so enjoy your mindless garbage but for people who know what talented bands and artist are stay away, not like I had to tell you that we all know empty V sucks.

remember when mtv was something interesting

Author: Bill from california
28 October 2002

ok this show was a good idea when i started. but music cant be based on votes. ever heard of record sales. they tell a more honest top ten. what happened to MTV live. all it was was dj's and a few people in the background chillin playing random videos. no it is a room with an audience that thinks they are rock cause they flash the rock on hand signal, or a hip hop fan cause they wear a shirt eminem wore when he was on the show. all the music that makes it is the ones that have chessy, lame pointless songs that have no depth or sense of someone actually wrote from the heart. whatever happened to a musical opinion. no person can be cool with the backstreet boys and than kick it with a rock band. carson is so fake. he plays for the camera and acts like he is cool with all the artist (i use that word losely)and acts like he loves all the genres of music. they also only have one kind of band per genre and plug the f*ck out of them. hey lets play blink 182 cause they are a punk band. bullsh*t there punk. why dont you look at the early days of the sex pistols when people were killed or injured and every show.

this show also does way to much, i thought they were suppose to play the video, but they play a meek 30 seconds of a 3 minute song, and then go to carson as he is talking to nsync about how there nice album is more rock influenced. no one gives a damn. play the video in full, and dont cover the screen with scrollers saying how someone voted it or have a 17 year old going on 12 years old screaming about how they voted for the video cause there hot.

this show is so low, it digs itself deeper every time it airs. but sadly, its the only time they play videos. but wait, you can see rock videos at 3am to 4 am. this show makes me hang my head in shame and shake it in disbelief that its still on. bring back the original format of MTV or at least do a count down that is based off sales.

It was fun while it lasted...

Author: justin-fencsak from United States
19 September 2010

When I grew up with MTV in 1998, TRL became the most watched show in the afternoons. I used to call MTV's 1-800 phone number to request a video in the top 10 and it would be on there!!! This before the days of Youtube and Facebook made videos popular. It was more than just videos. It was about Times Square, the screaming fans who crowd near MTV's studios, and of course, the celebs and Carson Daly. I liked it when they put up a rap, rock, or alternative video but once it was all pop, I stopped watching. Now all the stuff that MTV airs is reality crap like Jersey Shore. TRL was back when MTV was at its peak. It showed the excess of the new millennium, and changed the way people requested music videos live forever.

A-huh.

Author: plok253
14 June 2002

Hmmm, well the show's stayed on the air for a couple years, so somebody's obviously watching it. My question is....who? If you compare the TRL's Top 10 with the actual Top 10 hits, you'll notice that TRL is pretty off on portraying the opinions of the fans. In order to stay "hip", TRL is always careful to choose the latest videos, rather than showing some videos that are actually good. Moreover, as anyone intelligent has noticed by now, there's nothing on this show besides tasteless pop music and a couple alternative songs. It's no request show, it's a routine devoted directly to teeny boppers. Even Carson grows weary of it (ever noticed how he's never enthusiastic as he announces who's on the show?)

Next time, try voting for a song by a group who can really play like Guns n' Roses, Alice Cooper, or Rush. Notice how it won't make a difference.