IMDb > "Gimme Gimme Gimme" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gimme Gimme Gimme"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gimme Gimme Gimme" More at IMDbPro »

I just love this show

Author: stacy_g_ie from Republic of Ireland
26 May 2002

Gimme Gimme Gimme is a show about a gay man and a straight woman who live together in Kentish Town in London. While it doesn't sound like much on paper, it really works because it is, as Linda would say, VILE! But it's the kind of vile that works. The funny kind of vile.

Kathy Burke plays Linda LaHughes, a heavy-set tart with frizzy red hair and glasses. To put it in the words of a character in the 2nd series, she looks like 'a cross between Chris Evans and Olive from On the Buses.' She is sex-obsessed, vulgar and probably the most disgusting British character ever created, excepting maybe Fat B****** in Austin Powers 2. She gets the best lines, though most of them make you cringe. An example would be 'He can stick his hand up my skirt and make my lips move...if you know what I mean!' about a ventroloquist. She is always talking about her days in borstal and her oddball family, such as 'My auntie Vi was a cyclops...or auntie eye as we used to call her.'

James Dreyfus plays Tom Farrell, an extremely camp self-obsessed gay actor who *suprisingly* can't get work anywhere. He's had his fair share of bad luck, attracts horrible men, such as Rick who hated everyone and sold sofas on cheesy ads, the man who slept with Tom once and wouldn't leave him alone...then of course was one of my favourite episodes when Tom met his idol, Peak Practice star Simon Shepherd. But he firmly believes in people being honest in their sexuality. My favourite Gimme Gimme Gimme quote was when he said 'I like my men to be stong, assertive...not so far back in the closet they're in f*****g Narnia!'

This show is so much better than most American comedies such as Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier and so on. Why? Good acting, funny script, and absolutely no limitations. A genius created this. An absolute f*****g genius.

Inspired and hilarious

Author: MichaelNile from England
5 August 2003

One of the funniest and most original situation comedies ever to come out of Britain. It's coarse and over-the-top, and in the finest tradition of British saucy postcard humor. Replete with broad characterizations (straight female nymphomaniac living with mincing gay man, competing for the affections of straight and happily married black guy living downstairs), over-the-top situations, double entendres, and delicious one-liners, 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' is the inevitable next step for those who loved 'Are You Being Served', the 'Carry On' films, 'Girls On Top' and 'Absolutely Fabulous'.

Pity that other commitments prevented the writer and leads from pursuing the show beyond three seasons of 6 episodes.

Not for the twee, or Cliff Richard wannabes or those who think that it's shot on film and not on videotape, 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' is a must-have for the collection of any lover of camp or no-holds-barred comedy.

Vulger, Trashy and Crude, You'll Love It

Author: CELLIOTT10 from England
8 December 2001

This is one of the best english television series ever to have been released. It's basically about Linda (Kathy Burke) and Tom (James Drefus) who are roomates. Linda is backwards, sex mad, disgusting and unemployed. Tom is an out of work actor who's gay, self obsessed and he like to think of himself as middle class. Each week is a different story about what happens to them. But this really is hillarious any one will like it apart from snotty prudes. Watch It.

Energy is not the word to use.

Author: Robert Fisher (Fi5hism@aol.com) from Rugby, Warwickshire, England
12 May 2001

From the first episode right to the last New Year episode i have loved it. Althought Tom Farrell and Linda La Hughes are some of the most disgusting people you could come across they are adorable.

Gimme Gimme Gimme is sent in Kentish Town in London. They are flat mates, Tom being the sissy gay one and Linda being the butch straight one. The series also features three other main characters... Beryl (landlady) and Sues and Jez (The sickeningly in love neighbours. Linda and Tom are constantly hitting on Jez). The is one reoccuring character... Sugar walls, (you now see the actess in Eastenders... so don't hope to see her in this again).

My favourite episode has to be the Millenium night episode. So filled with laughter... the episode ends with both characters passing out... after singing a small rendition of 'Tomorrow' from Annie. Then a large choir bursts in and finishes the episode.

I don't see how people could not enjoy this programme. It is one of the few good comedies that the BBC has come up with in the last 5 years.

If you love crudeness... and God do i... watch this you shall love it. It is a very addictive show.

Endlessly hilarious show!

Author: hesketh27 from Southport Lancashire Uk
17 November 2003

One of my favourite comedies of all time, GGG is lewd, rude and exceptionally crude! The funniest episode for me is when Tom gets off with the sofa salesman and Linda gets the job in the factory, which introduces us to Daisy, one of her workmates (who made me cry with laughter). No matter how many times I watch this show repeated, it always makes me laugh - thanks for this BBC, youv'e cheered me up on numerous occasions with it!.

Funny funny funny!

Author: oogy_boogy (angelz1983@hotmail.com) from Leeds, England
5 December 2001

This is just funny as the summary sez! I dare you not to like this!

It is however, pure trash at its best, i can't believe these people sometimes and the things that they say, Linda makes me cringe with alot of the things that she says quite constantly and tom... Well, lets not go into tom until we have a few hours spare!

This is fun, it is corse and its just plain fulla gags and laughs at everyones expense, some of the scenes in this series is so funny and i've had to rewind it to watch it again! You will love this if you like British humour and slap stick comedy at its best, i know i did..

You've just got to love it

Author: MouthyMatthew from Manchester, United Kingdom
11 October 1999

When I first watched this series I thought it was funny, but crude. Then I got hooked on it and religiously watched every episode. It's just so fresh and so funny. Kathy Burke has always been wonderful but this just shows off her many talents :)Excellent.

Gimme More Episodes!

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
26 January 2002

Kathy Burke is completely mental in her role as the wise-cracking, bed-hopping loud-mouth and she's one of the funniest women on TV right now!

'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme' is a hilariously funny British TV show about a guy and girl, worlds apart who live together.

Strong performances by both the lead stars with good jokes that never fall flat. Unfortunately Richard Dreyfuss wants out. So it won't be Gimme Gimme Gimme for much longer, huh?!

Great side-splitting humour!!

Author: nix-13 from New Zealand
1 November 1999

What can I say? A great script with comical lines and superb acting. Although I only caught the last three episodes I quickly found myself hooked on this show. Kathy Burke does a great job as an overweight, sex-obsessed dimwit while James Dreyfus shines in his role as her gay flatmate. While I have not seen either of these actors in other roles previously, I will be keen to catch up on some of their other roles in the future. If you are the type of person who can be offended by the use of coarse language, or adult themes, then I suggest perhaps you give this show a miss but for those with a thick skin, I guarantee this show will give you plenty of laughs. I hope there will be more to come.

great

Author: markcraig2003 from scotland
27 December 2002

gimme gimme gimme is one of the best comedy programmes on tv

the writing is brilliant and the performances are great

but i must confess some of lindas comments make you want to cringe