IMDb > Superstar (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What the Shiznit?

Author: cloudblood from United States
11 May 2005

I have no idea what is wrong with all these lame-ass downers.... Don't listen to any other comments on this movie. Because obviously, non of them got it.... This movie has been on my top 10 funniest movies since the first time i saw it. My friends and I still gather on occasion and light a Lil something up while we laugh are asses of at this film. Molly Shannon is a Comedic Genius, and Will Farrell falls right behind... Buy this move right now, smoke some bongs, and get your fiends over to watch it with you, so that after its over, and your quoting the movie ever 5mins after, they know what the hell it is you're talking about. As for he rest of you.. WHY DON"T YOU GO DRINK A BOTTLE OF YOURSELF!

Underrated comedy excellence

Author: flumpman-1 from United Kingdom
5 April 2007

I remember watching this movie when I was working in America in the year 2000 with my cousin and absolutely pissing my pants with laughter at it.

I then totally forgot about it until I noticed it on a website for sale for like £3 and thought I would buy it and see if it was as funny as I remembered. It was - and it was funnier the second time around.

Molly Shannon is an underrated comedic actress who we should see more often and who should be given lead roles on a more regular basis as she is absolutely hilarious in Superstar.

This movie has absolutely no point and no story but is just full of class comedy moments which make me chuckle over and over again. And not only is Ms Shannon rather good in it - Will Ferrell is on top form before he made it big time. Its just a shame he didn't drag Molly with him and make her as big a star as she is.

Get her in the Frat Pack now! Oh - and this movie is well funny so I recommend it highly to anyone with a sense of humour!

A true classic comedy!

Author: Bryan Akers from United States
14 December 2005

I loved this movie! It was probably one of the funniest movies I had ever seen! When I had watched Molly Shannon preform her "Superstar" on SNL, I loved it. It was hilarious and something new and enjoyable. This movie makes me feel better for some reason. When I'm depressed or something, I watch this movie and laugh forever and instantly feel better! My favorite part of the movie was Mary(her name in the movie) saying Superstar! I loved it. It made me feel happy and made me laugh. Also, this movie does have some meaning to it. It shows you that anything is possible. And I mean ANYTHING. If Mary Katherine Gallagher can do it, you most certainly can. I really think you should at least rent it but I really think you should buy it because of how many times you will want to watch it. It's hilarious and you will find yourself watching it over and over again. "...you didn't know you were competing against a...SUPERSTAR!!!"

Are you kidding me? I LOVE this movie

Author: lambiebob from United States
1 February 2006

This movie is the funniest SNL movie ever. Another commenter said it was just about better than A Night at the Roxbury, but I thought that movie was good too.

Molly Shannon delivers a great performance as Mary Katherine Galligar, the weirdo that has always wanted to be a movie star so that she can get a movie star kiss. I love all of the comebacks she makes because they are so out of nowhere and are original. Will Ferral is also a laugh out loud as the hot football player of Mary's dreams, Sky.

I saw this movie in first grade and used a few of the comebacks Mary made when I was having a fight with a mean girl in my class, and she never bothered me again!

****outta***** see this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Funny Movie

Author: Coe Linn (HellTex) from Austin, Texas
12 April 2000

This is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. There are many really great belly-laughs here. There also are some very heartwarming moments when Mary Katherine Gallagher conjures up feelings of sympathy for her plight as a "nerd" among "beautiful people." The ending was wonderful. I really enjoyed seeing Glynis Johns again. I've always enjoyed her performances very much. All in all, I think this is an all-round good, very enjoyable movie!

If Forrest Gump were searching for an ideal date movie, he'd grab "Superstar."

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
26 May 2008

Anybody that watched "Saturday Night Live" back in 1999 knows about Mary Katherine Gallagher. Comedian Molly Shannon portrays Mary as a klutzy, disaster-prone, teenage ugly duckling who has trouble fitting in at a stuffy Catholic school. Wearing dorky horn-rimmed, birth control glasses, she obsesses over kissing Mr. Right and attaining media super-stardom. The 'in-crowd' hoots at her, while the 'out' crowd adores her. Mary Katherine is the kind of stereotypical screw-up we are meant to laugh as much as love.

Obviously, "SNL" producer Lorne Michaels felt there was something about this Mary that made her a prime Hollywood property. Some "SNL" characters, such as Wayne and Garth, survived the transition from boob tube to the big screen. Although "Superstar" qualifies as the comic equivalent of "Rocky," this spasmodically unfunny farce proves that Shannon's character was better off on TV than in the movies. Almost as abysmal as Julia Sweeney's "It's Pat: The Movie," Mary Katherine Gallagher's bid for cinematic immortality wears out its welcome long before its flatulent 82-minutes buffoonery runs out of gas.

A spin-off from the popular "SNL" sketch, "Superstar" depicts the outlandish antics of an orphaned teenager, Mary Katherine Gallaher, who lives in the ugliest house on the block in a small town called Besame. By the way, Besame translates as 'kiss me' in Spanish. Gallagher's hard-hearted grandmother (Glynnis Johns), who hates showbiz with a passion, struggles to keep Mary Katherine focused on a future as a businesswoman. According to Grandma, a school of hammer headed sharks devoured Mary's parents.

The truth is that they got stomped to death on a dance floor when an accelerated record player triggered a nervous breakdown among their fellow dancers. As a result, Grandma wants Mary to avoid show business. Nevertheless, poor Mary wants to enter the "Let's Find VD Talent Show" sponsored by Catholic Teen magazine at St. Monica Catholic High School. The winners gets a chance to appear as an extra in a movie with "positive moral values." While Mary Katherine dreams about super-stardom, her chief rival, Evian (Elaine Hendrix), a popular but mean-spirited cheerleader, devises schemes to humiliate our heroine.

Bulimic Evian manages to keep Mary Katherine off the cheerleading squad and wants to prevent her from entering the talent contest. Meanwhile, Mary Katherine fantasizes about kissing St. Monica football hero Sky Corrigan ("SNL's" hilariously funny Will Ferrell) and stealing him from Evian. Evian mounts a down-and-dirty campaign to degrade Mary, pulling off all the predictable pranks when she isn't acting like a "Heathers"-bent-for leather ice queen.

"A Night in Roxbury" scenarist Steve Koren's dumb and dumber screenplay makes Mary Katherine into a classic underdog heroine we can root for no matter how horribly the opposition treats her. Indeed, Mary Katherine resembles a teenage version of the woebegone heroine in "Welcome to the Dollhouse." Of course, Mary Katherine will emerge triumphant after one too many setbacks, and the smug villains will get their just comeuppance. Unhappily, "Superstar" boasts few surprises, fewer laughs, and lacks the overall subversive hilarity of "There's Something about Mary." Certainly, "Superstar" ribs the Catholic Church, but nothing as derogatory as director Kevin Smith's "Dogma" distinguishes this timid, status quo burlesque. They make fun of Father Ritley (a beetle-browed Mark McKinney) when he crunches his toast in front of several nuns ,and then orders them to find out why the toaster burnt his bread. Sure, "Superstar provokes an occasional laugh, but not enough to redeem this nonsense. Mary Katherine is at her funniest in small doses. We chuckle when a nun catches her hugging—as well as French kissing—an oak tree. Or when she decks a nun with a high kick during a dance class. Of when she destroys everything around during a cheerleading audition. Her role as 'rewind girl' at a video store is worth a chuckle. Unfortunately, during the long stretches, she loses her spontaneity and imitates just about every other underdog that comes from behind to win despite impossible odds. The drawn-out confessional scene where Mary Katherine reverts to "Sybil" shows that somebody didn't know when to quit.

Blame for stretching Mary Katherine's exploits beyond the two-minute warning mark into an overlong 82-mintue fiasco rests not only with Koren but also with "Dog Park" director Bruce McCulloch. "A Kids in the Hall" alum himself, McCulloch does little more than usher Mary Katherine from one stupid predicament to another. The spoofs of "Carrie," "Armageddon," and "Jesus Christ Superstar" grow pretty tiresome, especially Will Ferrell's 'surfer Jesus' set to the top hit "Spirit in the Sky." The clash of the cliques plot is lame, tame, and pretty much the same as in "Never Been Kissed," "Can't Hardly Wait," and "Drive Me Crazy." Nothing new here. Never mind, also that everybody looks about 20 years too old to be playing their respective roles. Happily, the veteran cast of comedians ignores the shambles of a script and maintains a straight face throughout this hokum. As Mary Katherine's grandma, Glynnis Johns gives a spirited performance. If Forrest Gump were searching for an ideal date movie, he'd grab "Superstar."

Superstar is one super movie.

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
9 November 2007

Superstar is the not so hit movie starring Molly Shannon and co starring Will Ferrell in one of the first movies they did together. The movie is about Mary Katherine Gallagher and all she wants in life is a Hollywood kiss but she realises that to get that she needs to be like the people in the movies. The movie is funny on many bases and Will Ferrell's character just held it together beautifully. The movie is definitely a must watch for fans of Saturday Night Live or Saturday Night Live skit turned Movies and Molly Shannon/Will Ferrell shows. Overall this movie is funny the whole way through and Will Ferrell's character was excellently petried. I rate this 74%.

Don't Always Believe Critics' Reviews

Author: reginamia from United States
6 June 2006

Because we had seen all the other comedies at the DVD store, my son and I finally watched Superstar. It had been so panned by every review I had ever seen, I thought it would be a waste of time. Perhaps especially for those who have memories of Catholic schools, it is as delightful as it is silly. My twelve-year-old does not have these memories but he laughed hysterically none the less.

I do recommend this film, but I do not recommend the critics who gave it only one star. Like psychologists, film critics must understand both the genres they review, and every type of audience that will view the film. This comedy may not be for everyone, but I cannot imagine anyone taking real offense at it either.

If you want a good laugh even if you know you'll feel dirty, then this movie is for you!

Author: The Rayato (pre_2000@hotmail.com) from Somewhere in Puerto Rico
15 April 2000

The Rayato has a confession to make. I'm with stupid! Yep I am. While all you high-class society puppets prefer AN IDEAL HUSBAND or some type of crap like that, you know deep down you yearn to watch DEUCE BIGALOW,AUSTIN POWERS,or WATERBOY. Yes, you know you do. I am not afraid to show my love for the stupid comedy. And if you want stupid, then SUPERSTAR is as stupid as they get (and as funny). SNL alum Molly Shannon (who I plan to marry someday) plays everybody's favorite horny Catholic schoolgirl Mary Katherine Gallagher who wants to become a "Superstar!" so she could have a chance with Sky Corrigan (Will Ferrell, brilliant!)and get the kiss she dreams about. I love basically everything in this movie, from "Supermodel Documentary Hour" to the ARMAGEDDON spoof. God bless SNL, for bringing America Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, and the latest among the giants, Ms. Shannon herself. B+

P.S. MTV's Tom Green makes a cameo has some dumb guy and well....he's....dumb.........BRILLIANT!

The Rayato has spoken.

Reply to SamRag comment : This movie rocks

Author: Suedeheadboy from Spain
20 July 2005

Ceirtanly Molly Shannon is one of the most brilliant humorists right now, and yet we hope she still has a lot to do. From her beginnings, she has always been involved in interesting projects dealing with both comedy and drama, but always from the independent wing of the factory. Some of her appearances on TV: Twin Peaks, Will&Grace, Sex and the City and the most popular on Saturday Night Live, performing one of her greatest characters: Mary Katherine Gallagher, who leads this crazy movie. Besides, she also appears in Never Been Kissed, Happiness, American Splendor... It is not a coincidence that all the projects she is involved in are such recommendable. Warning: Superstar is a freak movie. A pure freak film... freak enough to be a cult film. If you enjoy Family Dad, Kevin Spencer, Airport, Top Secret, John Waters' movies, Ghost World... you'll like this one for sure. That character , Mary Katherine Gallagher deserves an honor place in the comedy history. She's totally freak obsessed with being kissed. What else better than becoming a superstar for that purpose? There are all the necessary elements in this high school movie: the typical religious school, 30-year-old playing teenagers, the mean blond girl, the cute-one (that has at least 40 and wears a wig!!), the freaks from the special education class and a talent contest. The movie itself maintains the rhythm , with hilarious moments, and it's so easy going that you can't believe it longs 90 minutes. Of course Molly Shannon puts all the attractiveness to this movie, her character is the freakiest thing ever. Once you have seen it , it will be part of your cult movies to watch with friends and laugh time and again. If you like it, it does mean that you are a freak. But if you don't, it does mean you are a freak , a freak without sense of humor.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]