IMDb > The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Page 8 of 242: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Over-rated

Author: armo-1 from Shropshire, England
18 May 2003

I was brimful of excitement and expectation prior to the release of The Two Towers. After thoroughly enjoying Fellowship I was told this installment would be even better as there is more action in this book than the first (I have never read the books). However I left the cinema after this film immensely disappointed.

I have read review after review of Two Towers with people saying this is the best film ever. Come on, I mean seriously! Two Towers is incredibly slow and if it wasn't for the climactic Helms Deep battle would be the worst excuse for a 3 hour long film since the first 2 hours of Titanic. Even during this epic battle it is interrupted by the character which personifies the slowness of the rest of the film, Treebeard. The romance, or attempted romance, between Viggo Mortenson and Liv Tyler is so erksome and pointless I wonder if it is included because Liv complained about lack of screen time. There certainly wasn't any need for her character in this film because their romance is distinctly uncaptivating.

Golum is created brilliantly and deserved the Oscar for effects but I was glad to see fhis film ignored in the other categories. I won't look forward to Return Of the King as much as this now. Disappointing

Am I wrong? How is this getting such high ratings?

Author: catherinemcmanus from London, England
20 December 2002

I went to see this with great expectations. It was like going to see Phantom Menace; I really, really wanted it to be great.

But, no, sorry, it really, really wasn't. At the start it goes straight into the action, no preamble, no 'setting the scene', I dont even remember there being any credits. Then it was very episodic. No acting, no characterisation to speak of. The scenes were short, not much interaction between the characters. Just loads and loads of orcs every where.

The best thing in it is Sam Gamgee.

Peter Jackson's gift to adventure

Author: Alan Lamprecht from South Africa
22 September 2015

Note: If you're looking for someone to complain about this film, go elsewhere. I LOVE this film. It's the second instalment in the Lord of the Rings franchise, and I truly enjoyed The Fellowship of The Ring, so let's see what I thought.

Now Right from the first scene, this film had me. It's extremely entertaining. And from there; the rest of the film did not disappoint. It has spectacular camera work and a quest-like vibe, two traits from The Fellowship of The Ring I loved, and that fits perfectly into the film's atmosphere. But the thing that captivates you the most; is the music. The score is just great.

Another thing that they stepped up is the humor. Far more humor, that (magically) doesn't feel forced, something very important in the second (and some-what darker) film. The characters are also touched on far more. We see more of characters that weren't specifically looked into previously, like Gimli and Pippin.

All and all, this film is well and truly a worthy sequel to, all be it not better than Fellowship. The battle sequences are extremely entertaining, the characters are highly enjoyable, and you still get everything you love about Lord of The Rings. This is one of my favorite films of all time, and I highly recommend it.

'Towers' works on almost every level, except one plot thread

Author: Austin S. Russell from Blandon, PA
8 June 2015

Welcome back to my reviews of the Middle-Earth saga. We've gone on An Unexpected Journey, visited The Desolation of Smaug, witnessed The Battle of the Five Armies, and met The Fellowship of the Ring. Today, we are going to go on our next stop of the Lord of the Rings saga. Fasten your seatbelts, it's time to get hit by a waterfall. Let's enter...

...The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. The Two Towers follows several different plot threads: Sam and Frodo continue their quest to get to Mount Doom, as a creature named Gollum accompanies them; Aragon, Gimli, and Legolas all go in search of the Hobbits, and later head to Edoras in Rohan to assist in battle; Merry and Pippin are taken captive by Urku-hai and later meet a Ent that may help them in their quest.

This is probably my least favorite of the three films, let me just tell you that before we begin. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a good film, it's a fantastic one. It's just I don't like some of the new characters we are introduced to and Merry and Pippin's story isn't that interesting to me. Anyway, let's get on with the review.

As usual, the best thing about the film is it's music. The music created by Howard Shore is always welcome, even in the film's most slow areas. The acting is really great too, by all members, but especially Elijah Wood and Sean Astin. Wood really portrays Frodo's desperation and slow descent into a form of madness due to him being influenced by the ring. Astin really works well with Wood, making Sam more than just a sidekick, but both a rock and friend that Frodo needs in his times of desperation.

The special effects are just as good as the previous films, if not better. Treebeard and Gollum are the obvious highlights, and they are created so convincingly that I couldn't really see any issues with them. I recently read that Treebeard was filmed on a green screen, and honestly, I couldn't tell, even when I watched some of the scenes in HD. Magnificent.

The cinematography and, well, shots of the film both are done beautifully. Every scene where groups are riding to battle and scenes where we see sweeping shots of landscapes look amazing, and you can tell that Jackson and anybody else working on that part of the film really wanted it to look good. The best example of this, in my opinion, is the first scene right before we get into what happened to Gandalf.

The plot works, for the most part. I found the scenes in Rohan to be the most interesting. Like Peter Jackson said, The Two Towers is mainly focused on Aragorn. It's his main story. So, obviously, that was going to be the most interesting and the most focused upon. I also liked Frodo, Sam and Gollum's story. Gollum's internal struggle is made that much harder halfway through the film, when Frodo has to do something that he didn't want to do. I have to wonder, if that hadn't have happened, would Gollum have been more accepting of not leading Frodo and Sam where they end up in Return of the King?

I don't know. I did think that the weakest story, and the one that I don't like to watch, is the story with Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard. I like the character of Treebeard, but it doesn't really work for me. It's just so boring, and it's usually cutting away from the more intriguing stories. Less focus on their tale would have worked for me.

In conclusion, overall, The Two Towers is a intriguing follow-up to The Fellowship of the Ring. While I had some issues with Merry and Pippin's storyline, the film itself is a action-packed ride and a great lead- up to the grand finale in The Return of the King.

10/10. Grade: A

A film that has a lot to tell and is a key part of the plot which will conclude in Return of the King

Author: Fernando Schiavi (fernandoschiavi@gmail.com) from Brazil
11 March 2015

A year after the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, all moviegoers were more than eager to continue the first masterpiece of the XXI century. The Two Towers comes with the huge responsibility of maintaining the fascination left by the first movie, introduce more characters and various others having to be even grander. And he does this goal perfectly. Battles unthinkable, many new important events happening, new characters emerge, and even better effects finalized and dramas more pronounced, are just some of what The Two Towers has to offer. In The Two Towers, the journey continues to seek the destruction of the One Ring.

Since the outline of the scripts, Peter Jackson knew that adjustments would be interconnected but would own souls. The Two Towers is not exactly a sequel, but the second chapter in the saga of the ring. The main difference we noticed right away when compared to the Company, is the tone of the narrative. The first contained dark environments of Middle-earth, but was predominantly magical, charming and fantastic weather. This is due to a specific reason: it was necessary to introduce the spectator races of beings that inhabit the world created by Tokien, being required to show their worlds that have nothing to dark as the Shire and Rivendell. From gloomy just quick passage in the Prancing Pony inn and of course the long sequences in the mines of Moira. However, the story is not as dark and the main concern is to tell the origin of the ring, to make clear the importance of its destruction, and setting the villains and heroes in the public mind, especially the uninitiated in the original work.

Unlike the first in which all of the Company are together and will slowly separating, in The Two Towers director Peter Jackson wisely alternates between the three parallel stories in completely opposite places in the geography of Middle-earth. Still, changes of pace and scenery are beneficial contributing to the advancement of events. Amid the three stories, we enjoying new characters, scenarios filled with visually stunning scenes. The movie starts directly in chapter two of the book since the first chapter of The Two Towers became the last of The Fellowship of the Ring to the first end with a climax better resolved in the script. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas go after the hobbits Merry and Pippin, who had been captured by orcs, and is meeting with Éomer, the Third Marshal of Rohan and nephew of Theoden, King of Rohan. Eomer gives them horses and says that a group of Rohirrim had attacked and destroyed that group of Orcs two days before, and had not found any hobbit among them.

Certainly this second chapter is less detailed and faithful in The Fellowship of the Ring. The main changes are in the final stages of the book, but the criticisms lose some strength as some missing parts were filmed, but inserted in the next movie. In The Two Towers, despite the good progress the issue to join in an interesting three parallel stories (Merry and Pippin with the Ents, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf in Rohan; Frodo, Sam and Gollum toward Mordor). Some important parts of the book are missing for insertion into The Return of the King For the sake of pace, high duration and other factors, these choices director Peter Jackson and editor Michael Horton are fully justifiable.

Peter Jackson performs over exuberant work. The battle scenes are epic and a pleasure for the eyes. The director uses open shots to show the scale of the epic battle at Helm's Deep, but gives close ups and shows creative camera movements to further enhance the scenes. The momentum built from preparing for battle works fine. It is noticeable tension, hopelessness in the eyes of citizens not warriors, mostly women and children. A desperate struggle for life chances seemingly against thousands of enemies, which is modified until the arrival of Gandalf and its reinforcement of troops. The scene of Gandalf leading warriors gorge below toward the enemy carried out with slow motion is one of the most dazzling film of recent times. The talented director can be seen also at the bottom where the Ents help fight the orcs of Isengard Srauman in, so as the scene of the Marshes and developing the relationship of Sam, Frodo and Gollum.

The Two Towers fortunately surpasses the legend that the sequence never surpasses the original, staying here at the same level. The film appealed to critics and audiences, grossing over $ 920 million worldwide, with $ 341 million in the U.S. alone. Some complained that The Fellowship of the Ring had no end, but Jackson was right to leave Boromir's death to the end increasing the emotional side. It would be very strange, a year later, the opening scene is the death that hung from the previous film. At the same time, Jackson gives interim order in this second part, knowing leave everything open for the grand conclusion of the saga in the next chapter. The Two Towers is one of the great films with content and technical working together perfectly, and it serves not only to prepare for the final chapter of the series. It is a film that has a lot to tell and is a key part of the plot which will conclude in Return of the King.

A swift Shout out to The Lord of the Rings

Author: largentabrewer from Yakima WA
1 May 2014

In every way, even after reading all 6 books, i love this adaptation and the way it was brought to life. Peter Jackson deserves all adoration and praise for the way he made all, but especially this movie. There is a lot that is missing, but I can Understand how it would be hard to adapt to film. Even though i would not complain on bit if they made a 32 hour movie of all of the events that happened in all of the movies. This movie deserves all 10 stars and much respect. LOTR forever!!! Thank you, Peter Jackson, for all you have done and all you will do. Except for the last 20 min of the latest Hobbit Movie... Garbage.

LOTR TTT Review

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
5 April 2014

In The Fellowship of the Ring, the film saga of the Lord of the Rings was kicked-off in an endearing and faithful way. It meticulously established the groundwork for a cast of iconic heroes, settings with palpable folklore, and a grand journey that would stagger the imagination. The adventure continues in The Two Towers, with all the same flair and attention to detail that was established before. Only now, it's a return to familiar territory, and the film uses every opportunity to expand the narrative and present an even stronger fantasy experience.

Picking up where the first film let off, The Two Towers wastes no time in tracking each character's tangent and showing what happens next. The film's opening, showing Gandalf confronting the monstrous Balrog, is an awe-inspiring sight as it is. Then we continue to follow Frodo and Sam on their quest to Mordor, and it is touch-and-go for them as they evade enemy forces and consort with the villainous Gollum. At the same time, the film tracks Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli as they trek into Rohan, to inevitably confront the threat of orc invasion head-on. All these plot threads build up to a magnificent climax, including the Battle of Helm's Deep (a lengthy and awesome siege), the marching of the Ents (an imaginative and inspiring sequence), and the skirmishes of Osgiliath (providing the emotional climax to accentuate the action). It is a consistently engaging film with plenty of awesome spectacle.

The story branches off into multiple directions with quite a lot of characters. You'd think it would be hard to keep track of everything (a complaint that made Cloud Atlas so inaccessible to audiences), but this film somehow manages to juggle everything perfectly, giving each tangent just enough time so that it never fades far from memory. It's easy to keep track of the characters and their movements across Middle-Earth, even with the addition of new characters, taut political drama, and even more folklore thrown in. The characters remain as endearing as ever, and the plot is manipulated with expert precision. Tolkein purists may be quick to point out the changes from the source material, which become more numerous in this film than in its predecessor, but the basics of the story remain intact. Most changes are made to accommodate the story's events across the three films in the most presentable way. While the film continues to utilize the classic epic-journey plot structure, it digs up some relevant themes concerning war, industrialization, and courage throughout.

As before, the film is crafted expertly, with excellent photography and editing. Acting continues to impress from the whole cast; Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood, Sean Austin, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Orlando Bloom, John Rhyes-Davies, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Liv Tyler, and Cate Blanchett all continue to inhabit their characters aptly. Andy Serkis steals the spotlight, while Karl Urban, David Wenham, Brad Dourif, Bernard Hill, and Miranda Otto offer welcome additions to the cast. The writing is great. Locales are beautiful. This production continues to use top-notch sets, props, costumes, and special effects. Howard Shore's music score is still impressively magnificent.

The Two Towers is a thrilling continuation of the events laid forth in The Fellowship of the Ring, and it builds up to one impressive climax. It's still a great story told with great style, and with good attention to depth and detail. As strong of an experience as it is, it's still only building up to an even grander experience...

The Extended Cut of this film includes about 45 minutes of new scenes. Some of it includes extended action and battle scenes, which are cool. There's also a great flashback scene involving Faramir and Boromir. There are also a bunch of really neat smaller scenes, many of which adapt specific scenes from the book, or offer more to the characters. It is a really cool cut of the movie that's well worth seeing.

5/5 (Entertainment: Perfect | Story: Perfect | Film: Perfect)

The Two hours too much (DVD)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
9 January 2011

In a trilogy, the second part is always the most difficult to create because it loses the charm of the discovery and lacks the thrill of the conclusion. The goal is to develop the characters and conclude with a solid cliffhanger that will be resolved in the last part. Thus, it's not just passing by.

Unfortunately, this movie is this kind. It fails to reach classics as "Star Wars V" or "BTTF 2" and it's as dull as "Star Trek 3". Nothing really fundamental happens here: it's just another steps in the journey. Moreover, the fluidity of the first movie is lost because the characters are now split into three groups. I dozed two times watching it: in the Rohan country and during the Helm's Deep battle.

But the responsibility goes to Tolkien because LOTR aren't really three stories but a huge, colossal single story divided in three parts by the editor. And a night rainy battle will be always more exciting on a paper than on screen.

To leave on a happier note, i must say that the extra are interesting and really help to understand all the passion that people have put in this trilogy. That's why the chain-maker is so funny: With his desperate and weary voice, he explains that armors needs thousands of rings, that rings come in three models and that in a day of work, he can chains as much as a big scarf!

Peter Jackson does it again, pure screen magic!

Author: Chris Gavez (croatiansensation29@yahoo.ca) from Canada
28 December 2004

Peter Jackson has done it again, with the second movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, "The Two Towers". An excellent film, but it is my least favourite in the trilogy.

Sam and Frodo continue their journey towards Mordor to rid Middle Earth of the One Ring, while Aragon, Gimli and Legolas prepare to do battle with the armies of the dark. Also, we get to see Gollum for the first time in this film, in all of his CG glory! Pure screen magic. Amazing special effects, a great storyline continuing the tale, this is a film that should definitely not be missed! The end battle is pure CG magic! Peter Jackson has done it once again! I recommend the extended edition, which shows us more in this wonderful tale.

I say that this is my least favourite in the trilogy for the simple reason that it jumps from Sam and Frodo, to Aragon and Legolas, to Merry and Pippen, and back and forth. It can get somewhat confusing and hard to follow if you have not read the books.

Despite this one minor flaw, the film is eye-poppingly beautiful, from the beautiful scenes, to the amazing special effects. Definitely not a film to be missed!

the middle of the trilogy

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
24 December 2004

In this trilogy there is a beginning that sets up the audience for the characters and the plot, then there is a sequel where the characters continue on from where the first leaves off, certain things happen throughout the second one that prepare everyone for the third, and in the third everything comes to an awesome and amazing ending.

The Two Towers picks up from where The Fellowship Of The Ring left off. (Spoilers ahead) In the end of the fellowship: Gandalf fell off a ledge after defeating the balrog, Boromir was shot by orc arrows, Merry and Pippin were captured by orcs, Frodo and Sam left and continued on their quest to Mordor, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli decided to follow the orcs and rescue Merry and Pippin. The two towers basically follows their adventures and shows how Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are all reunited, Merry and Pippin are rescued by the ents after their captors are attacked, and Frodo and Sam encounter the creature Gollum and ask him for help in getting to Mordor.

The Two Towers is a much more complicated story, as there is a subplot involving a falling kingdom and their struggle to survive as orcs are trying to destroy them all. The Two towers is another feast to the eyes and imagination just like The Fellowship of the ring. There is a great battle scene in this at the climax of the story, but the battles in Return Of The King make the battle in this movie seem like a brief sprawl.