The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Page 7 of 328: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The Greatest Movie of All Time

Author: Prabhat R from India
7 June 2015

It is one of those films that never get old. It is a brilliant adaption of a great novel. I think Lord of The Rings is the greatest film of all time. I will give you the reasons. This is about the whole trilogy and not just a single film.

*********MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD**************

Reasons::

1- People used to say, it was unfilmable. The novels are really complex. You will need multiple readings to understand them completely. The world that Tolkien created is huge, there are dozens of characters and each one of them is important. To know more about the some characters, you will have to read The Silmarillion which is one of the most complex books ever written. So you simply can't make a good movie because you have to take care of many things. You have to remove unnecessary things, give the characters proper screen time and take care of the details.Many people tried to convert the novel into a movie, but no one could do it like Peter Jackson did. He gave importance to each and every character and you can't really complain about anything (I still wish to see Tom Bombadil) And it's a single movie divided into three movies.

2- Brilliant direction, Acting, Music, makeup, editing, cinematography, adapted screenplay, jaw-dropping visuals (I am yet to see a battle as big as battle of Pelennor fields and helm's deep ) and almost everything that makes a movie great.

3- It's emotionally powerful - If scenes like "My friends, you bow to no one", "Go Home, Sam", "Boromir's Death", "I can't carry it for you but I can carry you" "Home is Behind, The World Ahead" and "For Frodo" don't make you cry then I don't know what will. Its not a serious movie, there are also some funny moments.

4- It's visually spectacular - remember Minas Tirith, Fell beasts, Epic Battles, Helm's Deep, Isengard, Balrog and the best one "Gollum" played by Andy Serkis? He deserved an Oscar for that role.

5- Acting is brilliant and every character plays his/her role wonderfully. I loved Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom the most.

6- It gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Some awesome scenes are - You shall not pass, King Theoden's Speech, Ride of Rohirrim, and Aragorn's speech in front of Black Gate but there are many more.

I have watched the whole Trilogy (Extended Edition) more than 25 times and I am yet to find a movie which is better than LOTR. Some movies are better in terms of direction, cinematography, screenplay etc. but LOTR is a complete package. It's 11 hours of awesomeness. When I watched it for the first time, I was in 9th class and I started having dreams about middle earth. I dreamed about fighting for Aragorn. It had a great impact on me.

Some people think it's lengthy, but I wish there was more. My friend didn't watch it for 3 years saying it's too long. After 3 years, he watched the complete trilogy, and He wouldn't stop talking about it. So if you are one of those who haven't seen it. Take your time and watch it. It is a MASTERPIECE.

LOTR ROTK Review

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
6 April 2014

After the last two Lord of the Rings films, the journey of so many heroes has come so far, and it all leads up to this. Darkness falls upon all of Middle-Earth. Huge armies of orcs march upon the kingdoms of men. The One Ring comes closer to its evil master. Could this be the end of the world, or the start of a new beginning? This final chapter in the film series starts off with an incredibly moving sequence: the heartbreaking tale of Gollum's origins. From the on, it picks right back up where the last films left off, chronicling the journey of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum as they tread in dark and dangerous territory, combating orcs, one giant spider, and ultimately themselves as they approach the threshold of Mount Doom. At the same time, the film presents some of the biggest and most epic scenes ever committed to film: the Battle of Minas Tirith. It is a huge spectacle that fills up the entire screen with thousands and thousands of orcs, men, war machines, lumbering beasts, Nazgûl, cavalry, massive elephants, and even ghosts. It is a long struggle that fills up most of the movie's runtime, but it's always awe-inspiring. As if that's not enough, the film then brings the battle to the gates of Mordor, for one grand climax. Even in the calm before each battle, the film remains as captivating as its predecessors, thanks to its style and storytelling prowess. If there's anything to truly complain about, it would be the lengthy denouement. Overall, however, the experience of The Return of the King has never failed to invoke feelings of awe.

At this point, the characters of the film are well-established and intimately familiar, but the film does take its time to explore more of the familiar faces and elaborate on fresh new characters. They all come together to contribute to the multiple conflicts, tying every strand of the plot to one epic climax; it's a sublime union that makes everything in the three movies relevant, and provides satisfying closure all around. Many liberties are taken from the original novels, but for the big screen, it works to generate the best possible spectacle and make the plot work evenly. Themes of war, corruption, addiction, good and evil, and adventure all prevail.

As before, this film is crafted with excellent photography and editing. All the major players return and contribute fantastic performances in their respective roles (especially Viggo Mortensen, who stands out more in this film than before, but it is always a pleasure to watch Ian McKellen as Gandalf, along with the rest of the fellowship and all their allies). Writing is superb. This production boasts some excellent sets, props, and costumes. Special effects are huge; at its time, it was most groundbreaking for generating the biggest armies ever seen on screen all at once. Despite aging a bit, the effects are still impressive. Howard Shore's music score is as masterful as ever.

Return of the King delivers the best possible payoff for the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and it might even outshine the Hobbit saga in the end). Not only does it boast some of the biggest battles, but it is also a film with power and beauty. It has cemented itself as one of my all-time favorites (was my number-one favorite for quite a few years), and the Lord of the Rings saga overall remains one of the most sublime marriages between spectacle, storytelling, and style.

If you watch the Extended Edition of this film, you will be treated to about an hour of bonus scenes, which offers a lot of excellent substance. Among the additions, there are longer battle scenes, a scene showing the fate of Saruman and Wormtongue, an extended encounter with the Army of the Dead, a parley with the Mouth of Sauron, and more. I think most of these scenes are really awesome, and this version of the film is definitely worth seeing.

5/5 (Experience: Perfect | Story: Perfect | Film: Perfect)

The great film saga of our time.

Author: Robert from United Kingdom
21 June 2010

The Lord of the Rings is without doubt the most epic and staggering film undertaking of all time. How Peter Jackson pulled it off I will never know, maybe he used one of Gandalf's enchantments! Rarely throughout the 12 hour epic is there a bad scene or a dull moment, every scene has had so much thought and hard work poured into it. From the writing, to the production crew, to the acting, to the scenery,to the music (oh god I love the music)and just everybody's determination to pull this near impossible feat off, even fantasy haters would have to admit their amazement. Never has a movie given me so many spine tingly moments and scenes of such beauty that they nearly push me to tears. Peter Jackson seemed so blessed with good fortune, (Viggo Mortensens' last minute replacement says it all), it was as if the spirit of Tolkien himself was guiding it along. As I see this as one whole movie, I won't be reviewing just 'The Return of the King'.

I saw the first film 'The Fellowhip of the Ring' when I was 12, and I'm 21 now and I still haven't been more absorbed by a movie in the cinema and I doubt I ever will. The transition from the innocence and lightness of the Shire at the start to the dark epic of the quest later is nothing short of brilliant. I think 'Fellowship' is my favourite of the three, it goes through the most development and felt the most satisfying. The whole mines of Moria sequence is my standout moment of the entire trilogy. To the battle with the cave troll and the escape from the balrog, it is exhilarating, involving and most of all - emotional.

'The Two Towers' has the hardest task of being the middle film, but it more than rises to the challenge. It drops you straight into the action and doesn't hold up. The Rohan sequences are the best bits of the film, culminating in the battle of helms deep which to me is the most personal and intense battle of the trilogy. The creation of Gollum was revolutionary, through CGI and motion capture never has a computerised character seemed so real.

'The Return of the King' delivers the emotional finale we all hoped it would. I remember sitting in the cinema hearing all sorts of sobbing all around me during the climax on mount doom. There are so many stand-out moments in this movie but the one I will mention is the charge of the Rohirrim. This scene actually pushed me to tears on first viewing, not because it was sad but because it was so... awesome. I was so happy when this film won 11 Oscars, it more than deserved it, I was hoping it would win more than 11 but oh well.

Any gripes I have for the trilogy, would be the portrayal of its big bad Sauron, and considering that Sauron is the centre of 'The Lord of the Rings' this is definitely a problem. If there was one thing from the books that is unfilmable it is definitely Sauron. How do you portray a villain that hardly appears and any descriptions of him there are, are so vague and surreal? Is Sauron a big flaming eye or did he have a physical form? This is never made clear in the books and poses a big obstacle for film, where the audience needs to see their villain. Peter Jackson and co do the best they can with the material, and chose to literally portray Sauron as the big flaming eye. However this is not enough to satisfy, especially during the climax of 'Return of the King' where the dark lord is basically a lighthouse! The films make the mistake of bigging Sauron up through the films, and ultimately it fizzles out by the end which is a real shame.

As you can tell from what I have said, I love 'The Lord of the Rings', and I would say it is my favourite film of all time. No other film has moved me as much as this and given me so many different emotions from fear, to sadness to laughter. I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else playing the characters, it was if they were made for them. The actors all generally had a special relationship with one another and with Peter Jackson (just watch the extras), and that what you are watching on screen is genuine. It was almost to the point that the actors weren't working so hard out of professionalism but out of love and devotion to Mr.Jackson. Hardly any other films can claim they had this kind of magic behind the camera. Honourable mentions will be given to Ian Mckellen as Gandalf, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn and Elijah Wood as Frodo, I felt these three literally became the characters they were playing, but of course there are countless others to mention but I don't have time. Howard Shore's score is possibly the best movie score ever, and the films would be nothing without it.

Ultimately say what you will hardcore Tolkien fans about the films, you cannot deny that they did so much for Tolkiens' greatest work and made it one of the most recognisable stories in the world. If you have somehow not seen these films, first of all slap yourself and secondly go buy the extended editions as these are the true versions of the films and include many great scenes that were cut - especially 'The Return of the King' which had many vital scenes cut aka. Saruman's last hoorah and Gandalf confronting the Witch King. Peter Jackson I salute you, and New Zealand!

What can you say?

Author: stevethepot from United Kingdom
10 January 2007

I suppose that someone, sometime, may tell the story more accurately but I doubt very much that it will ever be told better. Nothing could ever replace the books for pure escapism but Peter Jackson has managed to evoke both the feel and texture of Tolkien's masterwork without pandering, too much, to clichéd Hollywood extravagance. The cast are superb (if Sir Ian Mckellen is remembered for nothing else other than Gandalf I feel sure he would not complain), the cinematography stunning and the pace, even over the 8/9 hours for the whole trilogy is matchless. For those who have read the books (as I have for many years) I would suggest watching once to get all of the niggling storyline changes/omissions out of your system then just watch as a pure, wonderous, unadulterated piece of epic, EPIC cinema. I'm sure I will love it forever.

Hail to the King

Author: karenlynn1 from United States
18 October 2006

The third and final installment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy comes to life bigger, and bolder than the first two. Director Peter Jackson and company held nothing back when it came to CGI, special effects, gorgeous landscapes, and breathtaking cinematography.

Fans most familiar with Tolkien's famed novels would take note of changes made in the interest of keeping the film short (as with it's two prior films), but he stuck close enough the main story and brought it to its destined conclusion. He didn't water down the scene where Frodo finally gets to Mt. Doom in order to get rid of The One Ring once and for all—in fact it packs quite the punch. The way that scene was intermingled with the battle footage heightened the emotional level of the scene as well as the excitement.

The actors deserve praise as well. Viggo Mortensen reminds us of what a hero truly is, with his performance as Aragorn, the man who would become King of Gondor. Sir Ian McKellen reprises his role as Gandalf the White, bringing the Wizard to life as if he popped right out of the pages of Tolkien's novels. Elijah Wood draws us in with his portrayal as Frodo—Sorrowful, and weary of his travels and all of the trials he'd gone through along the way. Other noteworthy performances include those of Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchet, Miranda Otto, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Hugo Weaving, etc.

I highly recommend this film (as well as it's predecessors) to anybody, regardless of whether or not you've read the novels. Of course the books are better—they always are—but the movies are an excellent adaptation of Tolkien's wonderful tale.

This film is clearly worthy of the many Oscars it has won.

I easily give it a 10/10.

The conclusion to the wonderful epic The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King.

Author: (eaw1990osaka@yahoo.com) from Kyoto, Japan.
18 January 2004

This wonderful conclusion to Peter Jackson's adaptation of .J.R.R. Tolkien's most popular written work should definetly win a few awards to say the least. The first movie, The Fellowship of the Ring, inspired me to read the trilogy. As I was only twelve at the time, these were the first books I actually finished reading. I decided first off that no matter how much the film makers changed the story, as long as the general plot line and points that Tokien was trying to make were made in a fashion that Tolkien would have liked, I would accept these movies. These are three spectacular films, or rather, one large movie version, created by crazy Tolkien fans, of the tale of how evil came into being and how it was destroyed.

For those of you who have not seen this movie, and are wondering whether or not to go and see it, by now you know clearly what I think. This movie is the conclusion to the first two movies, or rather the conclusion to one long continuing story. If you haven't seen the first two, go and see them before you come and see this one: There's nothing worse then hearing the end of a great tale before you even get a chance to begin it. Once you start this trilogy, you will not want to be left behind. It is about how the Hobbits, Frodo(an aristocrat) and Sam (his loyal gardener and best companion), struggle on to a land called Mordor to destroy a ring that corrupts the minds of even the strongest warriors, and about how their friends try to guide and help them in their quest to save all life, even if it takes their own lives to destroy the ring. The movie is full of tales of how Middle Earth and its people are making their last and final attempts to fight the evil, and save not only their homes, wives and children, but their own humanity and souls as well. It is a tale of how life almost disappeared but when darkness almost completely covered all earth, some courageos people, whether from the sanity of their minds or rightness of their hearts gave their last shot to save life because they valued it. They gave their last hope, said their last prayers, and were able to destroy this evil. Nothing that I can say would be good enough to put these people and their world into the right words so that you could imagine it: Just watch the movie so you can start experiencing it.

Take this chance while you can.

Author: jrg-9 from Tempe, AZ
16 January 2004

The Lord of the Rings novel is one of the best English novels of all time, certainly in the top five. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by New Line Cinema will long have similar standings in the realm of movies.

When I was younger, every once in awhile I would sit down on the couch and watch the Star Wars trilogy. Six-and-one-half hours later I would be done and think, `Wow!' Now, after having attended the marathon showing of all three movies of LOTR, I didn't finish the night by thinking, `Wow!' I finished it so overwhelmed I didn't know what to think. It wasn't until the next morning that I could comprehend what I had just experienced the day before. history being made.

Each of these movies is acclaimed for nearly every element of their being. People who were never fantasy fans found themselves in a new world. Those of us who have long been fans still found ourselves in a new world. I have read many of the comments others have made, and I would like to address one issue in particular.

No movie will ever be exactly like the book it is based on (nor should it). That's why movies often begin with `Based on the novel.' or `Inspired by.' Screenwriters must take certain liberties in adapting a novel for the screen. Very often parts must be rewritten or entirely left out. Peter Jackson's LOTR is his vision of the novels. And it is a glorious vision.

I am a fan of the books and of the movies. They are two different entities. The Return of the King is my second favorite. I love the Fellowship most and the Two Towers least. If I gave these movies grades they would be 98 for Fellowship, 97 for Return of the King, and 95 for Two Towers. They aren't perfect, but my idea of perfection is not Peter Jackson's or anyone else's.

There is something in this movie for almost everyone; love, friendship, huge conflicts, anger, despair, fear, and hope. If you never see this movie while it is the theatre you are missing out on an experience of a lifetime. I have pledged to myself to see it at least once a week while it is in the theatres here. If the first two movies were still out I would see them as well. In all likelihood we will never have this chance again. take it while you can.

The Return of the King is an epic finish to the LOTR.

Author: dantheman0056 from United States
25 July 2008

The Return of the King is the third and final film in the Lord of the Rings saga. Peter Jackson's portrayal of the film is a masterpiece in an already stunning trilogy. ROTK is an epic tale of sacrifice, courage, and friendship. Frodo and Sam's journey to Mount Doom is scary and filled with heart breaking moments of triumph and defeat. Elijah Woods once again portrays Frodo wonderfully as well as Sean Astin. The rest of the fellowship are very good in all of their scenes, especially Viggo Mortenson and Ian McKellan as Gandalf. Visually the cities and battles are simply fantastic and very realistic. This has been a long journey of film starting with the Fellowship 2 years ago and now it has ended wonderfully.

Wonderful finale, sweeping emotions and action

Author: manalone923 from California, USA
21 January 2004

Where do I start? Those who have already seen this movie don't need a review, and those who haven't will probably never look at my review given the multitudes of others to choose from. So, I'll just say how this movie personally affected me, as a fan of the books and of movies in general. I absolutely loved the original film, Fellowship of the Ring, and did enjoy the Two Towers, though not as much. I loved the emotion of the original (subtle scenes like Frodo's long decision-making boatside scene at the end), and found that the Two Towers was great in action and scope but as a result sort of put character development and characters' feelings into the background. But this makes sense, as the book it was based on dealt more with action and also had the burden of introducing half a dozen important new characters. Return of the King, however, is just simply fantastic. I try to avoid statements like "gets everything right", and "I enjoyed every minute of it", but in this case, it's true. I was so moved at the presentation of this film that I couldn't help getting misty at the end, despite knowing exactly what would happen (based on the books of course). I credit this to not only the great performances but also the stirring music (Annie Lennox's moving "Into the West" is a beautiful tune and perfectly echoes the sentiments of the film's themes). And also, I couldn't help being moved knowing that it was now all over, and there will probably never be another Lord of the Rings epic of this magnitude in my lifetime (and rightfully so). I just felt like I was saying goodbye to old friends. The movie, although beginning with an important flashback, begins immediately where the second film concluded, and every character has a conclusion. The main part of this movie that I loved is the simple fact that no character is shortchanged; the main characters have their own moments of screen time and good dialogue, from Gandalf telling Pippin what beautiful peace awaits him if he should die in battle, to Sam heroically carrying an exhausted Frodo on his own shoulders through sheer determination. It's all done well, and it takes its time to do it, which I wouldn't have any other way. Whereas Fellowship of the Ring dealt more in emotion and character development and the Two Towers was more hurried and action packed, I was delighted to see that return of the King found a perfect balance between the two and devotes ample time to both. The battle scenes are the grandest in scope and awe, and the highs and lows of sheer emotion are quite gracefully handled as well. And when everything is said and done and the battles are over, there's still a journey home for some of the characters and a good amount of movie left to enjoy. But everything moves along so smoothly, it's sometimes easy to forget that it's a 3 hour and fifteen minute ride. If there isn't action going on, there are scenes of pending action or drama at an almost nonstop rate, making sure that there's something to stop even the most restless from becoming bored.

If for some reason you've chosen my review out of the many available, let me at the very least leave you with this, and it will hopefully help you to decide to see it if you haven't yet: As the finale of a trilogy, this is the masterstroke that ties everything together and is successful on a multitude of levels. It's action packed and stirringly heartfelt at the same time. And finally, from someone who loves the books, I can say that although some omissions were made, the story doesn't falter as a result and the film as a whole was handled in about the most graceful, pleasing way I can imagine. It is, quite honestly, a cinematic masterpiece and a major accomplishment. I left teary eyed, happy for having been thrilled for more than 3 hours, and also quite sad that I don't have another of these films to look forward to.

Perfect viewing (maybe at 11.00 at night!!!)

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
29 May 2004

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

In the concluding adaptation of Tolkien's trilogy,Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) head with Gollum to Mount Doom to dispose of the troublesome ring,whilst the rest of the gang brace themselves for the final battle for Middle Earth.

Having put my achy,fidgety,restless bum through the ordeal of the first two movies,I found it only fitting to watch the concluding part (which would be the longest part at a whopping 201 minutes!!!)Luckily,I happened to be watching this one on DVD as opposed to at the cinema and was therefore free to press the pause button at any moment I deemed appropriate in order to take a break and watch it entirely at my own pace.I would certainly only deem it advisable to watch this at a cinema that has a break for refreshments halfway through.

I think my school of thought all along really has been that of a fair few others.If you were a fan of the books,then these movies will probably be the equivalent of a wet dream come to life.If you have never read any of the books,however,it's all likely to emerge as a big overblown,self indulgent affair,as I think sadly has been the case with me.The ending especially here is a real nerve grater,as it appears to come again and again after over three hours of patient sitting and observing,only to keep droning on that bit longer.Given the heavy handedness of it all anyway,it just makes for even more of a labourious experience.

In the movie's favour,it is a bit more emotionally involving than the last two and manages to draw you in to the plot a bit more,although that may just be because you know a bit more what to expect and so you've resigned yourself to it that bit more.The battle scenes and cinematography in general are certainly nothing to sniff at either.This is,giving away from some laughable and not entirely convincing acting indeed.But,given how little the story had already engrossed me to this point,it's all a bit too little too late.

It may have reached #4 on the IMDB top 100,but given I don't know a 'hobbit from a racehorse',it's best use in my favour would seem to be as the ultimate late-night cure for insomnia.**