IMDb > Hellboy (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hellboy

Hellboy More at IMDbPro »

IMDB groupthink fails me for the first time.

Author: Anthony_Boyd from CA, USA
10 April 2004

Are you guys kidding me? How can IMDB users rate this movie so kindly? I wait for my fellow IMDB users to post many reviews before I go see a movie, and it has never failed me. Until now, that is. Geeze, a 7.0 overall average score? Comments that suggest this is Spiderman-like quality? Ugh.

Look folks. This is a bad film. Is Hollywood churning out such utter garbage that when something even marginally mediocre comes out, it gets praise? Stop and think for a minute! Was the zombie/skeleton that Hellboy pulled out of a grave what you would call quality special effects? That had to be the worst, most retro, ghetto special effects I've seen in years. And did you honestly care about any of these characters? They each get 20 lines to speak before they're killed off. I felt sorry for none of them -- they were so obviously props for an action film that it was like watching a Star Trek episode populated almost exclusively by red shirts.

And did you really feel that the ending was tension-filled or even difficult for Hellboy? It lasted, what, maybe 2 minutes? He detonates some grenades and it's over? That's it? And the dialogue! Hellboy's last few lines were so hokey that half the theater burst out laughing. Here's a hint, Mr. Hellboy: they were laughing AT you, not WITH you.