IMDb > Waking Ned Devine (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Waking Ned

Waking Ned Devine More at IMDbPro »Waking Ned (original title)

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Refreshing

Author: Alan Devine from Sheffield, England
3 April 1999

An afternoon tea on a warm summer day is still seen by some people as an enjoyable way to rid oneself of the tensions of the day and to allow oneself to slow down and feel at ease. Waking Ned is a sort of afternoon tea for cinemagoers. Nothing really bad happens. There are no really tense moments, or serious threats to life or liberty, for the mostly likeable but roguish characters. That's what makes the film so appealing!!

There are maybe two characters that quickly lose the audiences sympathy and both get their comeuppance in different ways. One, a truly "nasty piece of work", is reminiscent of the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz ( the parallel should be readily evident to the viewer). This character meets her demise in the most hilarious manner possible for a likeable film such as this.

On the whole Waking Ned is a refreshing film that is "Feel Good" all the way through without laying on thick layers of mush. No need for the hankies folks but there's plenty of room to toast the villagers' of Tully Moor!!

Enjoyable quirky comedy

Author: ukcommando from London, England
4 April 2004

A quirky comedy that could just as easily have been a TV hit, and to some extent it has that kind of feel. Some fine performances from the cast especially the late Ian Bannen.

Jackie O'Shea lives in a quiet little village, which is beset by the kind of gossip normal in such communities. When he finds that the lottery has been won by someone in the village, Jackie is obsessed by finding who the winner is. After a lengthy process of elimination, Jackie concludes that his friend Ned must be the winner.

But noone has seen Ned for days, so Jackie pays him a visit only to find that Ned has died of shock in his armchair in front of the TV when the lottery results were announced.

Realising that with no heir, Ned's winnings won't be paid out, Jackie persuades his friend Michael to impersonate Ned in order to claim the winnings, but things soon start to get very complicated as they attempt to keep up the facade.....

Not a blockbuster nor a 'split your sides laughing' type comedy (though it has it's moments) but thoroughly enjoyable all the same.

A Delight of a Comedy

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
22 July 2004

Only in Ireland! The backdrop of a small village in Ireland sets the stage for an interesting comedy about a winning lottery ticket and the dead guy it belongs to. Waking Ned Devine is about the waking up of a small village that has been fast asleep since the start. The side stories of love, friendship and greed do not fall short. They in fact add to the greatness of this comedy. A delight for the entire family, even the quick scenes of a 70 year old naked man on a motor cycle comes out to be nothing more than good clean fun. An original idea made into a terrific movie. An enjoyable story with wonderful and like-able characters. A hit!

perfect way to spend time

Author: betsyhunter24 from Tennessee
5 May 2005

"Waking Ned Devine" is a perfect state of mind. The entire movie, which I've watched many, many times is more perfect each time I watch it. Everything about it; the cast, the music, the scenery; all matches perfectly throughout. Anyone who had anything to do with this production should be delighted with the thought that it is perfect!! Well done - Well done - Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, my profound thanks to all for making this production - watching it keeps me feeling good about life.

All the best to everyone involved in the making of this "feel good" production.

Offbeat and Hilarious!

Author: Patrick McDougall from Maryland, USA
9 February 2004

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, complete with belly-laughs galore! I've always been a fan of off-beat, less-than-commercial stuff that doesn't rely upon the standard comedy formulas-- there's no run-of-the-mill, cheap stereotype stuff; they don't do repetitive physical humor that gets one laugh for every ten tries; and the shallow, vulgar humor to which so many of us Americans have become accustomed is nowhere to be found. Waking Ned Devine caught me from the get-go, with the opening scene with the lottery and apple tart being my all-time favorite in movie history. The wry, offbeat, and somewhat dark humor is good stuff in my book, though I guess (from the looks of a previous review) it's not quite for everyone. It's been a while since I last saw the movie, but I still remember the pigs, intestines, the mad dash on the moped, Ned's dentures, mexican crisps, and the sea-bound telephone booth like I watched it yesterday! Then there's the funeral service, the wake, and the beautiful closing scenes, all of which add some good, clean emotion to the humor. I think I'll watch it again very soon!

one of the great comedies

Author: jfalconer from san diego
5 December 2004

Though no one's at fault, I still feel sorry for those whose 'American ear' causes them to miss so much of these Irish/Scottish/English movies. This movie's on a par with or better than Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and other comedies with English/Irish (or Cockney) accents. Waking Ned Devine is just priceless: hardly what our Oklahoma friend thought. The cast is perfect; the plot superb. And yes, it is Ned's baby: if you tune your ear to the dialect you'll hear Annie say he always treated her gently and with love. So, those who didn't get it the first time, watch it again. I know you'll THEN watch it again. And again. It's that good! Thanks.

"Unmissable!"

Author: jamesraeburn2003 from Poole, Dorset
21 May 2004

In an Irish village, a National Lottery winner dies of the shock of winning and the villagers launch a scheme to defraud the money by having one of them impersonate the dead man...

A charming comedy that is very much in the style of the older British comedies and all the better for it. It is good that the film was made in the 1990's rather than in the 1950's because censorship rules of that time would of meant that they would of had to of been be caught for their crime and that would of marred the film considerably. This was sadly the case in THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN, a comedy heist film about a group of retired army officers pulling off a raid, a lighter ending would of made that film a classic, but in those days, they couldn't make a film about crime that paid.

Ian Bannen and David Kelly are superb as the two OAP's who lead the scheme. This is one of my favourite films of 1999 and this had more charm and wit than NOTTING HILL. Unmissable!

The film is set in Ireland but was actually shot on the Isle Of Man.

This is a must see!

Author: Keyska2004 from United States
26 December 2005

My wife purchased this movie for me, but I let it sit on my DVD library shelf for over a year before I watched it. I felt very sad that I took so long to watch it because it is now on my favorite movie list. I own over 500 DVD's and this is one that is my all time top 25. The acting was well presented to the viewer and very realistic. I agree that this is a sleeper movie that you just do not hear off, but after you watch it you will highly recommend it to others. I believe that we have all felt the emotions that were displayed in "Waking Ned Divine". The director has set it up for the movie watcher to meld into the lead character, who hasn't always wanted to win the LOTTO and share it with our friends. I just love how his wife turns out to be his moral subconscious, she brings a smile to my face because it is so truthful. Others have already said it, but this is a feel good movie that brings our everyday dull and grinding lives back into the sunshine.

A lovely Tale!

Author: Tord S Eriksson from Gothenburg, Sweden
19 February 2005

Fionnula Flanagan, Ian Bannen and David Kelly, are just a few of an excellent cast in this tale about an Irish Lotto-winner, who is unable to collect.

Never have I seen a lovelier yarn, and, I tell ye', I've seen a few! Jackie O'Shea (Ian Bannen) figures out that one of the inhabitants in the local hamlet must have won the latest Lotto draw, and does he best to find out who, by every mean possible, and eventually finds out who.

I don't want to spoil it, but it sure is a lovely story! Very close to a masterpiece, and it gets better each time I see it!

Yours, Tord

This is a beautiful little film!

Author: garyrbennett from Monrovia, Calif.
26 July 2004

This is a beautiful little film, touching on the universal themes of friendship, and the corrupting power of money and greed. It was a sleeper back when it was released, but got very good word of mouth. Sure it's sentimental and plays somewhat on stereotypes (I'm assuming, as I've never actually spent any time in a small Irish village), but the cast includes many great Irish and British character actors (especially the late Ian Bannen), and it's funny, well directed, beautifully shot, joyous and ultimately life-affirming. I've seen it with several friends, and they all dug it. The music is also very enjoyable, especially the last song, "The Parting Glass".

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]