IMDb > Murder Was the Case: The Movie (1995) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Murder Was the Case: The Movie (V) More at IMDbPro »

Alright

Author: Sccrream97-1 from United States
31 July 2005

Dr. Dre directed this violent, supposedly "autobiographical" film by rapper Snoop Doggy Dogg about his fictional death, but it's really more of an excuse to make a extended music video for the title song, intermixed with live performance and interview segments. Far better than the other Death Row video releases, this is still only for nostalgic die-hard fans of Snoop when he was a Doggy, as it contains some footage of interest. Murphy (of Chapelle's Show), who plays Snoop's killer, is Eddie's brother. DVD special edition contains extra music videos by Snoop from his Death Row era, as well as "Natural Born Killers". Excellent soundtrack, of no real relation to the movie, is also available.

twenty minutes of "gangsta life".

Author: Anne Drogyness (artnotart@jewishmail.com) from Chicago Vatican
16 October 1999

My friend and I were at a Cactus Music store and we were in the "music videos" section. It was there that we stumbled across the gem that is the _Murder was the Case_ movie. It was $5.99. I mean, I had some ideas about what went on in this movie (from the shortened MTV music video), but there is nothing like seeing it. It is a pretty fun little twenty minutes.

Charles Murphy plays a character named "JC". For those of you who saw CB4, JC is pretty much a reprisal of his role as Gusto. Anyway, Snoop went and got JC's girlfriend pregnant and JC finds out about it. So he goes out with some of his friends to do a drive-by on Snoop. <start music>

Now I'll just say right now that I don't totally get what happens in Snoop's song. He gets shot and then talks to Satan and Satan brings him back to life. So he smokes a lot of pot, and pisses Satan off. Satan sees it fit to send him to jail for his crimes or something like that. Hey, I'd be lying if I said that I understood it, but that's what I can deduce from the lyrics.

Yes, this is in a lot of ways just a long music video, but there are a couple of parts that really make the experience worth it. For example, JC starts to shoot at the ambulence that is transporting Snoop's body and one of the stoned ambulence drivers pulls out a gun! Oh, and there are a few explosions and things like that. It is a lot like the N.W.A. videos from 1991 with the nudity, profanity, marijuana, and guns and things like that.

So now is the time to ask yourself: do you like gangsta rap? Would you like to see what a 20 minute music video glorifying all sorts of immorality and violence? Interested in Snoop's acting debut or Dr. Dre's directing debut? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then by all means see _Murder was the Case_.

I'll just point out that the tape comes with other funny stuff, like a brief video clip of the Dogg Pound getting high and listening to their own music and driving around Long Beach. Oh and there are these "serious" interview segments with Snoop where he tries to be really profound and pretentious. Its so funny. Plus, there's also "What's My Name?"(the video that single-handedly killed morphing technology as a trend), "Gin and Juice", and "Doggy Dogg World" music videos and the Ice Cube and Dr. Dre director's cut of "Natural Born Killaz" (Ice Cube and Dr. Dre reenact OJ!). That last video alone is worth the price of this tape!

Basically a long music video

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
17 January 2008

Rated NR(would be Rated R for Strong Violence,Language,Drug Use and Brief Nudity)

Murder Was The Case is basically an extended music video/short film for the snoop dogg song of the same name.Im not really a big fan of Snoop Dogg though I like some of his songs.I sort of liked this song and I found the movie on youtube, so I watched it.Its only 18min long and if you get the DVD, the other 30min is of concert footage.Anyway, the film was nothing special.The plot is sort of hard to follow and the acting is alright I guess.From what I picked up from the plot, Snoop Dogg gets a girl pregnant.The girl's boyfriend then looks for snoop and kills him.While he's in the hospital, Snoop sells his soul to the devil, becomes rich but then Satan takes him back to the night he got shot and snoop gets arrested and stays in jail.Its worth checking out for fans of Snoop Dogg but don't expect an excellent film.Its a decent short.

A terrible 18-minute film with unrealistic gunbattle scenes.

Author: (stargirlrk@yahoo.com) from Ann Arbor, MI
2 December 2002

I bought the DVD to this movie, and although it had many of

Snoop Dogg's music videos and concert footage, the actual short

film itself was pretty bad. It generally centered around a short

gunbattle scene in front of a liquor store and it was pretty bad. It

was unrealistic and wasnt very exciting at all. But thats it. Dont

bother renting or buying this movie. The regular version includes

the 18-minute short film combined with 36 minutes more of

concert and other footage for a total film length of 54 minutes. But

this movie was bad. Even if you consider watching it at a friend's

house, try to avoid this turkey and do something better with your

time. AVOID THIS FILM