IMDb > Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A Beautiful Animated Odyssey

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
6 March 2004

"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is a wonderful animated feature by Dreamworks. This under-rated movie was very well done with eye-catching visuals and an intriguing story. The scenes of the battle against the sea monster, and the visit to Eris' realm in Tartarus are particularly artistic. Granted, the legend of Sinbad may have been taken far from its "Arabian Nights" roots to go more towards Greek mythology. But all the mythic elements make the story a thing of wonder. Personally, I think every mythology and folklore canon in the world has some connections with each other, so who's to say that Middle Eastern folklore doesn't share any similarities with Greek mythology? Anyway, "Sinbad" truly deserves to be seen and enjoyed!

Gorgeous and astounding cartoon film with an outstanding and fantastic starring

Author: ma-cortes
4 January 2005

The movie concerns on Simbad , 1001 nights' hero . The sailor of legend is framed by the goddess Eris for the theft of the Book of Peace , as an object with extraordinary power has been stolen and Simbad must retrieve it but if he doesn't obtain it , his friend prince will be beheaded . Simbad goes out with his ship and the pirates henchmen and as stowaway the prince's girlfriend . They will ought to face off several dangers : storms , ominous mermaids , deep chasms , giant animals and must travel to a realm at the end of the world to retrieve it and save the life of his childhood friend Prince .

In the picture there are mythology , humor , rip-roaring , adventures , swashbuckling and it's pretty bemusing . It's a combo of computer generator and hand-drawn animation by Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson with voices from Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones . The movie mingles spectacular cartoon with FX computer generator as when the heroes are taking on monsters because these are made by computer . The confrontation amongst the starring and the giant bird named Roc (also appears in ¨The seventh voyage of Simbad¨ directed by Nathan Juran) is mesmerizing and fascinating , it's the best part of the film . In the movie there is a homage to Ray Harryhausen because the monsters are similar , though here are made by computer and on Ray's films are by means of Dynamation and stop-motion . Film obtained much success likeness to previous motion picture ¨Treasure planet¨ , both of them achieved quite money at the box office.

Good production by Jerry Katzemberg , David Geffen who along with Steven Spielberg constituted Dreamworks . Harry Gregson Williams' musical score is atmospheric and enjoyable . The fable will appeal to fantasy fans and adventure cartoon buffs . Rating : Very nice , well catching .

A Solid, Traditional, Animated Movie

Author: tabuno from utah
6 July 2003

This mostly traditionally animated motion picture demonstrates that computer special effects hasn't completely dominated the cartoon genre. The solid storyline and only the briefest of dummy moments inserted mostly for the kids, makes Sinbad an excellent offering for summer entertainment. Instead of fluff, we get creative animation with great computer effects as highlights, characters we can care about, and a storyline based on the most basic, fundamental moral premises - the nature of friendship and sacrifice, along with a strong female character. With few outlandish, quips except for marginal characters that provide a backdrop of comic relief, the use of humor with tact, and a delightful adventure and a moral tale that brings both sadness and hope, Sinbad brings back and more the classic animation motion pictures with vivid, bright, and glorious expression. Eight out of ten stars.

Very imaginative !

Author: Daniel from Paris, France
18 July 2004

I know and love all the movies with the famous "Sinbad" (from the Ray Harryhausen time). But I find the recent remakes (TV production) are always boring because off the lack of imagination from the directors.

So I hesitated a long time before watching this one. (above all with a "DISNEY" movie ! I feared to fall asleep.)

But I love this one ! The story is absolutely new, surprising and imaginative. The runtime's movie is short, so no time to bore. The charactere way of talking is really fun and modern, with hilarious quotes. My favourite one is when the Sinbad's ship arrives at the end of the sea, and someone says : "Well, at least, that proves earth is flat !" (LOL !)

Not a masterpiece, but a really good entertainment !

Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge

Author: Dean Kish (dwkish@shaw.ca) from Calgary Canada
27 June 2003

Sinbad the Sailor, probably the greatest anti-hero of the Arabian Knights, has seen many incarnations over the years. This time a new animated film from DreamWorks delves into the myth with some celebrity voices in tow.

Sinbad (Brad Pitt) is a happy pirate bent on retiring to Fiji after stealing the legendary Book of Peace. The only problem is that his childhood friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) stands in his way. Sinbad finds himself in a conundrum when he fails to obtain the book and ends up following his friend back to his palace where he is introduced to Proteus's future wife Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones).

When Sinbad is eventually framed by Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer), the Goddess of Chaos for stealing the Book of Peace, Proteus defends his friend for the crime. Proteus puts his life on the line so that Sinbad can sail into uncharted territory and retrieve the book. Unbeknownst to Sinbad, Marina tags along. Can Sinbad wrestle with a goddess and get through uncharted territory in time to save his friend?

Sinbad has always been an epic character and one of my favorites from classic literature and myth. He has inspired so many other multi-layered adventure characters over the years. I was first exposed to his adventures when I was a child and obsessed with seeing more movies from legendary creature creator, Ray Harryhausen. The Sinbad trilogy from Harryhausen still has a soft spot in my plethora of movie favorites. I loved the magic and vastness of worlds that inhabited Sinbad as a character.

It was that knowledge and foundation that made me so excited about seeing a new incarnation of a classic character. I had the same reaction when Disney re-invented `Tarzan' in their animated film. I was half-hoping that there would be a great musical score like that of Disney's `Tarzan' or `Aladdin' but what I did end up seeing wasn't your typical animated cartoon. That was a whole new blessing unto itself.

DreamWorks's Sinbad was definitely a whole re-envisioning of the character but also quite a bold project on its own. I loved how the film seamlessly melded standard animation and computer graphics. There hasn't been an animated film yet that has been able to make such a successful fusion. The backgrounds were utter eye-candy. I also really enjoyed how smart and delectable the dialogue was between these characters. The humor and drama were very involving and extremely enjoyable. As with every Sinbad movie, you always want to see more far off lands and more creatures. That allure and mystery is alive and well in this version.

What was probably the most interesting was that this was the first time an animated film had a character fall in love with his best friend's future wife or that an executioner is ready with a giant axe to slice off a character's head. Even some of the tongue-in-cheek humor was more aimed at adults than children. I liked that because it acknowledged that you don't have to be under 12 years old to enjoy animated films.

My only wish for Sinbad would be that it had a grander score or a memorable song. I wanted some epic music for such a grand character. A bolder score would have made the animated film feel big enough to encompass what Sinbad is. I liked how DreamWorks used music in both `Spirit' and `Road to El Dorado' but seemed to have dropped the ball for this one.

Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge but it needed to be bolder and bigger to do justice to such a legendary character. I just wanted more. (4 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.

I totally loved it. The animation was beautiful and the storyline interesting enough. I would see it again.

Author: Edith M. Gipson (gipsone@prodigy.net) from Houston, Texas
10 July 2003

I was surprised that Sinbad was seen as a failure. I loved the animation and the storyline. It was a PG rated animated movie, what should be expected? The drawing was on time, the voices were great and the adventure was mesmerizing. I would take my grandchildren to see it again just as an excuse to view this cinematic treasure again.

Kids loved it. So did I

Author: wyldwing from USA - SO. CAL
7 July 2003

Took the kids to see Sinbad. We all enjoyed it. I thought the animation was great. Just because it isn't Toy Story 3 doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact the shapeshifter was just amazing.

There are a couple points in the movie where the dialogue seems to take longer than necessary, but overall it's action packed.

My kids are 3 and 6. They loved Nemo, they loved this.

A fantastic family movie

Author: jodierose from Australia
6 July 2003

The animation graphics were brilliant, nice and big monsters for the family to enjoy. A bit of comedy thrown in there for the adults. A great one to see if you are a animation fan. This movie is definately a keeper.

Wow!!!!!!

Author: buseoana from Romania
25 June 2005

this was one of the coolest animated movies i have ever seen!!!! it's absolutely great!!!! it's got humor, tones of adventure, great plot, really interesting stuff going on, lots of well-known "voices" and it's extremely exciting. it's unlike anything until now. and it surely beats the crap out of Popeye!!!! really cool, the producers did a great job, i really loved it! i especially loved that book and the fact that there isn't anything ordinary in this world. you except to be another silly little story about a little pirate and wow, but the whole story is enchanted and fantastic. it's absolutely great! i haven't seen such a great movie in years!!!

The Moose Hole - "Who's bad?" Sinbad!

Author: Joseph Kastner (JAKastner@wi.rr.com) from Delafield, Wisconsin
4 July 2003

The story follows the many amazing adventures of Sinbad, one of the greatest thieves the world has ever known. Sinbad is always getting into trouble which is no problem for him at all. Just another day on the job stealing treasure from all corners of the world. But this time around, Sinbad is too over his head. The goddess of Chaos, Eris, gets bored with the normal peaceful world, so she decides to shake things up in a big way. Eris, disguised as Sinbad, steals the Book of Peace and frames the famous thief. But Sinbad's best friend, Proteus, decides to take the place of the thief in order for him to retrieve the lost treasure. Sinbad, on the other hand, has different plans but change his mind when Proteus' girlfriend, Marina, decides to tag along to make the job gets done. Now the crew is on the ride of their life as they battle the elements, along with a few monsters, to retrieve the Book of Peace and save the life of Proteus before it is too late. The story for Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is moderate at best. There are many wonderful action sequences but everything else just falls flat. The dialogue is too modern and really doesn't feel right in the film. At points in the film, the film feels at a right pace but then swings into quick moods of fast paced action that seem too quick. There is some consistency in the film but not throughout the script.

Though there are some famous voices behind the characters of this film, they don't really stand out much. Brad Pitt, who took over the role after Russell Crowe dropped out, voices the great thief Sinbad. From what was seen in the film, there was probably a pretty good reason why Crowe decided to drop out. The character is more of an anti-hero in the legend but the script tries too hard just to make him a straight forward hero. Pitt doesn't help the character as his voice work is too dull and flat to give much excitement to Sinbad. How about some emotion in the voice work Brad? Is that too much to ask? Not much to complain about the character of Marina, voiced by Chicago star Catherine-Zeta Jones. The script tries too hard to try and start a romantic spark between her character and Sinbad but other then that, Jones does a very good job. Michelle Pfeiffer is amazingly creepy as the voice of Eric the goddess of Chaos. The only problem is that as central as her character is in the film, she isn't seen much, which is a shame since much of the animation done on her is very good. Joseph Fiennes is good as the voice of Proteus but the problem is that his character so rarely seen or talked about throughout the film. There is so little known about the character that you don't feel emotion for him when he is about to die.

Overall, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, as good as it tries to be, signals another nail in the coffin of traditional animation. It would have been much better if Dreamworks would have stuck with the legendary stories about the famous thief instead of making up their own story that tries too hard to make Sinbad a straight forward hero. The greatness about the character is that he isn't supposed to be a hero. He does great things but he does them for himself and himself only. His character was about the freedom of living on the high seas and not listening to anybody. The animated film just ruins that effect. Speaking of effects, the computer animation used to create the waves of the ocean as well as the many monsters Sinbad faces does not blend well at all with the traditional animation. Some of the effects, like the monster at the beginning of the film, just looked totally ridiculous. There were many things that just didn't seem to make sense like The Book of Peace. What is the point of the Book of Peace? What does it do? From what was seen in the film, all it does is make everything turn dark and nothing more. The ending was just absolutely absurd. Sinbad returns the book and Marina, who at the beginning was engaged to Proteus, has fallen in love with Sinbad. But Proteus, who is nearly killed not once but twice during the film thanks to this guy, is absolutely fine with this. Are they nuts? Speaking of which, what does Marina see in Sinbad anyway? What ever it is can not be seen within the course of the film. Sadly this film may make more business then Treasure Planet, which is an absolute shame.

My Rating: ** ½ out of 5 (Grade: D+)

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]