IMDb > Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

One of the best 2-D animated films I have seen in a long time

Author: BreeInAZ from Gilbert, AZ
5 July 2003

I liked Spirit, but loved Sinbad. Having two kids 10 and under, I see a lot of these types of films. My 10 year-old daughter did not like either Spirit or Nemo, but my 6 year-old son did. They both, however said this film was much better than either and most other recent animated films they have seen, including Monsters Inc. From the moment this film opens, it has brilliant color and movement. The sea monster sequence was teriffic and I particularly liked the CGI ocean waves. The ships had tremendous detail, especially the rigging. Dreamworks spent 4 years making this project - and it showed.

All of the voice work was very good - and in spite of what others here have said about Pitt, I thought he was perfect for the part. He had plenty of emotion - not overdone, but restrained - caged in a subtle manner, just like you would expect from a sailor and pirate. Jones was fantastic as Marina, as one would expect, but the true stand-out was Pfifer. I had forgotten she was the voice of Eris, the Goddess of Chaos. I kept asking myself "WHO is that - she must be very sexy in real life..." - uh, duh. I think the older Michelle gets, the sexier she gets - and her voice work is no different. It (her voice) was so silky and seductively smooth - to match the on-screen presence of the brilliantly-animated Eris. A little of Eris went a long way - you always felt her omnipotent presence, due in most part to Pfifer. There were a few men in the audience laughing at some of her comments on screen. The laugh was the kind of defensive laugh that we men use when we are are turned on. No doubt - what a voice.

Many on here have criticized the dialog as being too modern, not traditional enough. The simpler dialog, to me, made it more believable. I have never understood the reasoning of using complex word usage by such simple people as pirates and sailors. I am sure that if way back when, their dialog were perfectly translated into modern English, one would not see much difference than today's banter. Thees's, Thou's and Whitherest's are stereotypical usage of Medieval times. Just because those words were used in print does not necessarily mean they spoke that way in everyday informal conversation.

Unlike other recent animated films, there was no lagging preachy portion, sermonette or message. Good. It is about time that someone makes a film just for its entertainment value - like this year's Oscar-winning Chicago, for instance. Entertaining it was, too. Sinbad had me hooked all the way, wanting a sequel at the end. To me, 2-D animation is still my favorite. Although I like some 3-D animation, I tend to look for its flaws all throughout the movies. With 2-D, I just want entertainment and vivid color, not pseudo-reality. Sinbad's color was some of the best in years - many subtle shades, blended in dramatic fashion.

I thought the action sequences were carefully handled and put you incredibly on the edge of your seat. Unlike Disney's recent Tarzan, whose real claim to fame was the tree sequences, this film has real nail-biting action and a good, non-sappy story. The mythological setting seemed as if it actually was part of written history. To me, most fantasy films are just too surreal for believability, but this one, albeit 2-D, was unlike many of its animated and non-animated predecessors. The sirens sequence was an outright masterpiece. The Gates of Tartarus sequence was top-notch and almost believable. I won't spoil it for you as to why I say... almost.

Maybe I'm naive, but I do not know how this film achieved a PG rating. Nothing from what I saw warranted that - it was good, clean family entertainment that was, for the most part, an adult-oriented film. The usual kiddie-aimed characters, like talking animals did not exist. Spike the (non-talking) dog was the only real child-oriented comic relief character - and it was not over the top, either. Rat (a nicknamed sailor) was also comical, but was again, not aimed at the kids, although my kids laughed at him. The arguments between Marina and Sinbad were also comical. Some said this film lacks humor - not true - it lacks silliness.

The music score was reminiscent of past adventure films - a real symphonic score! There were no modern power ballads, synthesizers or overdubbed vocals - just great symphonic music. It truly followed the story on screen and complimented the action quite well. For those of you who like animated features that have songs sung by Michael Bolton, Bryan Adams and Phil Collins, etc. - you will be disappointed in Sinbad's soundtrack. I am getting the CD, for sure.

Last, but not least, this film concludes in fine emotional form. Even though you know how it will end, you still feel an emotional pull in one of the final scenes. There were little kids (and some adults) in the audience crying at that point which, unlike previous reviewers, I will not spoil. When I review a film, I review its merits and/or flaws. I don't, however, retell the ENTIRE story and plot - that is NOT a review - that is a retelling, summation or synopsis.

"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is a rare find - good adult and AND family fare entertainment. It is not a "feel-good" movie, although it achieves that result. It is not a modern, priceless 2-D animated masterpiece like "Beauty and the Beast" or "The Little Mermaid," but it it comes pretty darned close. I highly recommend seeing this film.

9/10 or ***1/2 out of ****

Ted in Gilbert, AZ

I thought I was watching a B movie

Author: Denise_Harrison
5 July 2004

Don't get me wrong, I ended up enjoying it. But for quite a while during the film I thought I was watching a B movie, or maybe a "made for Saturday morning TV" film. Despite so many comments otherwise, my problem was the voices. I was sure that unknown and untalented voices were behind the characters. Imagine my surprise to find out later who actually did the voices -- excellent actors. And I was just as surprised to find out DreamWorks was behind it all.

I'm glad I didn't know who the actors were, or the producers, until afterward. My expectations would have been tremendously high. Instead I just enjoyed it for what it was.

Sinbad: The New Age Version

Author: anxietyresister from United Kingdom
22 April 2005

How about a bit of originality for a change?! This is yet another identikit animated production where you have the basics of: a hero with twisted loyalties, a love interest who is tougher than she first appears, a cute animal sidekick, a sexy villainess who has a crush on the main protagonist.. the list goes on. The characters are so obviously ripped off from other very similar films that it quickly becomes wearying, watching them go through the motions of their predictable escapades becomes not a pleasure, but a chore. And there aren't even that many of them, just about three or four passable action sequences that hardly set the pulse racing. And the overuse of the computer graphics in a 2D production wasn't too impressive either. So put it together, and what have you got? An average time-waster, with a handful of amusing one-liners, some pretty good voice overs and a couple of diverting scenes. At best, something to keep the young 'uns happy while daddy has a snooze. But even the kids will be disappointed by the lack of anything resembling a climax, and as soon as the film is finished.. I can guarantee that your brain will already be recording over it. 5/10

odysseus? jason? clearly this is no sinbad!

Author: bhaktanir from london england
8 December 2003

Since when is Sinbad a citizen of Syracuse? And what does he have to do with ancient Greek and Roman Gods? The producers of this crap should sit down and read one of the best stories ever told in the most entertaining collection of tales - the Arabian nights - to where Sinbad belongs. The only Arabic/Islamic thing about this Sinbad is his goatie and his brown eyes. What I don't really understand is why the producers needed the name recognition of Sinbad to tell a totally uninteresting story about an obscure chimera character living in a confusing time that exhibits elements of the Islamic empire with that of the Roman empire and the Greek city states. What a waste of effort.

Legend of at least one sea

Author: chrishart94
18 September 2015

The best way to do a Sinbad film is as if it is a fantastical road- movie and one that takes him to some interesting places while we see some fun monsters. That is what this DreamWorks take on the character does well. There is main goal at the centre of the film holding it all together, but it effectively sees Sinbad travel to various exotic places and battles mythical creatures. Sinbad and the other main characters aren't that interesting, so crafting a plot line like that works greatly to the films advantage.

The relatively straight-forward story sees Sinbad and his crew attempt to retrieve the 'book of peace' from the Goddess of chaos Eris in order to save the life of his best friend. It's nothing gripping, but it moves things along well enough. Sinbad (an okay Brad Pitt) does a serviceable job as our hero. He is charming and has some funny lines, but he is a quite bland. We don't really know anything about him and he doesn't have any features that make him interesting. An ambassador named Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) joins them and she is a fun female lead, she's thoughtful but tough enough to get things done. The rest of the crew are just forgettable, however I do find Kale's exchanges with Sinbad funny and Rat has some humorous moments.

The best feature of the film is easily Eris. Not because she's overly complex, but mostly because of the fantastic design and Michelle Pfeiffer's engrossing vocal work. Her movements are animated beautifully, the way she spirals and shape shifts is just great to watch. Every time the character shows up on screen it is gripping and Pfeiffer's seductive voice is just perfect for the part.

This is the last 2-D animated film that DreamWorks have done and it looks fantastic for the most part. The seas look vast and mysterious, while the locations are well designed whether it be bright or wintery. Places like Tartarus and Eris' realm are effectively designed. Some of the CGI used can standout against the backgrounds as seen with the Eris' sea monster which looks a little ropey. But elsewhere it looks great, especially with the design of the Roc. The action and the swordplay is always suitably energetic too. The score by Harry Gregson-Williams fits the film nicely and does a solid job of conveying the adventure or threat that is taking place on screen.

The jokes and the dialogue is rather inconsistent. Some of the more 'modern' speak and puns do fall quite flat, but some of the jokes can be a lot of fun. I'd have preferred it if they had kept a more timeless way of speaking. The interactions between the crew can be funny and you do get a sense of comradery between them. Sinbad and Marina do have chemistry, yet it is clear where they're story is going. They argue a lot and are competitive, but you know that they'll hook up in the end. Some subtle changes to the formula would have made the film more engaging.

However, for what it is Sinbad is an enjoyable adventure romp and delivers pretty much everything you would expect a film of this type to. On the whole it is rather hit and miss, but what it does well it does really well. While Sinbad might not be a great hero, Eris makes for a great villain. The animation is very good, the creatures are fun and action is always entertaining. Some elements are a touch weak, but the focus is kept on moving the film along and in the end it is an enjoyable piece.

Dreamworks mimics Disney to satisfying results

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
10 April 2013

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is a fine piece of animation, gloriously drawn, fluently animated, and well told, it was a depressing realization to its company Dreamworks and the entire animated empire in Hollywood. Due to its modest box office returns, it cemented the fact that "traditional stories with traditional animation" (employing the quote from Dreamworks head Jeffrey Katzenberg) weren't going to cut it anymore, and audiences wanted bigger animation, more serious morals, and wittier works than in previous years.

Yet that's not to say Sinbad can't effectively be enjoyed on its own terms. The story is a slender one, concerning the title character (voiced fittingly by Brad Pitt), who is on an expedition to recover the Book of Peace from Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer). Her plan was to frame Sinbad for stealing the book (which has united the twelve different lands for years) and get him sentenced to death. The fork in the plan was Prince Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) stepped in to spare the death of Sinbad so he can embark on the rough seas with his crew and the gorgeous Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) to recover the book. Now, the fate of Sinbad's village Syracuse rests in his hands.

The film reminds me of the swashbuckling adventure films Disney used to release in the sixties and seventies to much acclaim. As a matter of fact, in some cases, the film mirrors Disney's animated films, most notably Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet for taking place on the rigorous seas and exploring new territory. While the film doesn't have the clunky animation Treasure Planet had, it doesn't the memorable, majestic beauty Atlantis boasted. That film was an incredible, underrated visual achievement for Disney, as it showed its slicker, more mature side than the happy-go-lucky, song-and-dance persona the company predicated itself on for many years.

Sinbad, however, does further my view that Dreamworks is the most talented animated company when it comes to fluent movement. In the last few Dreamworks films I've watched (The Road to El Dorado and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron), I've seen incredibly breezy and extremely slick movement. Being that the film takes place almost entirely on the unpredictable seas, movement of the ship and the characters on board is almost required and the guys behind the animation have a lot of fun with the possibilities. Sinbad was the reason animation was invented to begin with. Seeing these kinds of things done in live action, likely assisted by an embarrassing amount of computers, would be ordinary and rather predictable. Because it takes place in a divine, animated wonderland, the characters do not have to subject themselves to plausibility, the laws of physics, or even the gravitational force. Animation was meant to break all kinds of laws and that's what this film does and does well.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas works as a competent story and would've probably been praised had it been released in the eighties or the nineties. But, to come full circle, what was efficient and passable fare back then isn't what passes as entertainment today. It serves more as a footnote for Dreamworks than a significant, indelible watermark.

Voiced by: Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michele Pfieffer, and Joseph Fiennes. Directed by: Tim Johnson and Patrick Gilmore.

Sin-bland: DreamWorks' latest 2-D effort is the Pitts

Author: Glacier571-3 from San Francisco
31 July 2003

It wasn't too long ago when DreamWorks was heralded as the worthy successor to the animation throne long held by Disney, following the huge success of "Shrek," which, as you know, was the inaugural winner of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. But being number one inevitably results in complacency, and DreamWorks now seems content in taking a giant step backward and emulating its rival in churning out a cadre of 2-D stinkers. Last year, it was "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron," and this time it's "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas," a yo-ho-hum retelling of the tale from the Arabian Nights.

After reuniting with childhood friend Proteus, notorious pirate Sinbad is accused of stealing a valuable artifact laughingly titled the Book of Peace, and is immediately sentenced to death. The actual culprit is Eris, the Goddess of Discord, who snatched the book herself while disguised as the eponymous hero. Of course, this story falls on deaf ears, because then there'd be no movie. Proteus surprisingly volunteers to take Sinbad's place on the chopping block so Sinbad and his crew can sail to Tartarus in order to return the Book of Peace to the city of Syracuse, from where it was stolen. Accompanying Sinbad and gang on the quest is Proteus' feisty fiance, Marina. Given this flimsy plot, "Sinbad," like last year's Disney disaster "Treasure Planet," attempts to increase its coolness factor in order to appeal to adolescent boys and staunch an onslaught of boredom in adults; thus, we're treated to anachronistic X-Games-style snowboarding, cheesy one-liners, and bodily function jokes, not to mention a healthy bit of innuendo. (The latter two earned the film its PG rating.)

But the best story ever conceived wouldn't have rescued "Sinbad" from the doldrums anyway, and the substandard, miscast voice acting is to blame. Only Pfeiffer seems to be having any fun hamming it up in the role of the conniving Eris. She easily gives the film's best performance, but that's damning her with faint praise. The worst of the bunch is easily Pitt, whose perfunctory effort as Sinbad had me wondering if he recorded his lines from a Barcalounger. He gives us no reason whatsoever to care about his self-centered character, but perhaps he could barely contain his excitement at reciting dreck like "Okay, I'm officially creeped out." Meanwhile, Fiennes is bland and forgettable; Proteus appears indifferent to the fact that his very life rests in Sinbad's hands. Zeta-Jones recycles her "Chicago" surliness as Marina, who expends her energy by constantly trying to prove that a woman can sail the Seven Seas with the big boys. She discovers the heart of gold in the roguish Sinbad whenever they're not sniping at each other like a pair of fishwives.

For all the comparisons to animation pioneer Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad series that this movie has drawn, I was reminded instead of Harryhausen's final work, the underrated "Clash of the Titans," which dipped into Norse legend with the multilimbed Kraken but is a milquetoast compared to DreamWorks' ethnically-stripped mythical mushpot that plays like an overlong episode of "Hercules" without betraying the slightest hint of originality; it's nothing more than an out-of-sync compilation album of Greek Mythology's Greatest Hits. The only thing Arabian about this generic "Sinbad" is the name of the title character, because, you see, a Middle Eastern hero just isn't hip anymore in our post-9/11 world.

Perhaps screenwriter John Logan also confused Sinbad with Odysseus, because the Sirens make a brief appearance. Along with some wonderfully rendered CGI sea monsters, they lend themselves to the film's rare appealing moments. The ethereal Sirens captivate and seduce Sinbad with their haunting beauty. This Sin-bland movie will be hard-pressed to achieve the same effect on its audience. 5/10

excellent score and great 2d 3d blending in a good story

Author: abefilmbuff from newbury England
30 July 2003

DreamWorks latest title with a seamless blend of 2D/3D animation. The PDI backdrops are stunning and the entry into Syracuse/ Siren scene shows a quality music score rather than the catena of vaguely related pop singles, or a hastily compiled composition (aka Pirates of the Caribbean.

A good storyline and the only weakness is the thin pirate script. However the emphasis of friendship is strong as a counter.

Voices are dubbed well and the whole is a good result for all ages in a slow summer of school holidays!

A fantastic movie!

Author: Shark75 from England
26 July 2003

The most enjoyable movie this year so far. The story is great, the animation is awesome, the music and sound is sensational. What more could you ask for?

A hugely entertaining film. GO SEE IT! You wont be dissapointed.

Oh, and by the way Nomad-7 this is NOT a Disney movie! It's Dreamworks! Did you even watch it?

Really Good Film

Author: GHCool from Studio City, CA, USA
26 July 2003

Don't judge it by the lame advertising campaign the studio put out. This is a superior animated film. Sinbad is everything TREASURE PLANET tried to be but wasn't. The animation is beautiful and the action is exhilarating. My only complaint is that the voice acting wasn't quite up to par with other recent animated films (like FINDING NEMO).

My Grade:

9 out of 10

"Who's bad? Sinbad."

Wonderful high adventure beautifully animated

Author: Edith Keeler from USA
19 July 2003

When I went to see this movie at the theater I was all set to be disappointed because it wasn't doing very well at the box office. I was pleasantly surprised! From the opening screen I was treated to beautiful animation telling a fast paced story of high adventure driven by classical mythology. The characters are complex but sympathetic. The humor is sophisticated. And the solutions to the heros' predicaments are original and exciting. Especially beautiful are the seqences in the relm of the Goddess. This is wonderful adventure fun for the entire family, not just for the kiddies.

The Goddess of Discord steals the magic book that protects the Twelve Cities and frames Sinbad for the theft. Sinbad's childhood friend offers himself in Sinbad's place while Sinbad goes off to recover the book from the goddess. If the book is not recovered in time, the friend will forfiet his life. Will Sinbad the professional thief recover the book and save his friend's life or let him die to save his own skin?

Unadorned animated film for kids.

Author: ilovedolby from New York State
15 July 2003

The realm of animation is reaching levels of absolute simplicity. `Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas' appeared to be a rousing family film with decent animation accompanied by big stars voicing over the characters. However, the film is really just an unadorned animated film for kids. Does anyone out there remember the true intentions of animation? Believe it or not, it is an art form that was never designed for children. Somewhere along the line, the idea got lost in the notions of big-budget animated flicks for kids from Disney and countless other cheap animators whose only goal was a direct to video release to profit on the rugrats. Although `Sinbad' has some great computer animated scenes combined with traditional animation, it's still for kids. Why not make a great animated flick for adults or at least something adults can appreciate at a higher level. `Sinbad' tells the story of the fabled sailor Sinbad (Brad Pitt), as he is a rogue captain who steals for a living on the high seas. But when the goddess Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer) steals a mysterious book called the Book of Peace, she frames Sinbad for the crime. To prove his innocence and loyalty to his childhood friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes), Sinbad sets out on a journey accompanied by a woman named Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) to apprehend the book. But along the way, he'll have to deal with monsters and serpents sent to stop him that are controlled by Eris. `Sinbad' had the ability to be great like other animated films of late including `Atlantis: The Lost Empire,' `The Prince of Egypt,' and `Spirited Away.' But there's too much nonsense here and there in the film that gives it a campy, childish feel. Undoubtedly, it was designed for children-but that's the problem. The filmmakers forgot that they were making a film that was going to be seen by adults, as well. One more big no no-do not rewrite a classic story that has handed down to generation after generation throughout history. The filmmakers certainly take their freedoms in telling the story. It's interesting to see Sinbad hanging out with the Greeks in the Mediterranean Sea when he was originally known as an Arabic sailor. Despite the juvenile feel of `Sinbad,' it would be unjust not to acknowledge its animation; especially the computer animated segments. The colors of vivid and the characters are portrayed lively and adventurous. Beyond the animation, the score composed by Harry Gregson-Williams (`Spy Game') is very well done. In the end, if a person takes their kids to see this film, they aren't going to do anything other than take a nap for an hour and forty minutes. In the mean time, you can be happy to know that the kiddies will stare at the screen and munch down gobs of expensive popcorn that will certainly keep their attention, if the film doesn't. **

Great adventure!

Author: darkfalcont from Canada
4 July 2003

I enjoyed this film which contained a mix of beautiful animation, action, romance, and story telling. Overall it's a very good movie but some of the violence and frightful scenes make it a bit much for children under 7. I rated this film 8 out of 10, it's highly entertaining but not quite an all time classic.

Even better even than I had anticipated...

Author: drew_graham1 from Provo, UT
3 July 2003

My first thought at the preview of this film was that it featured the voices of two of my favorite actresses: Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michelle Pfeiffer. When I saw it on opening day, I was far from disappointed. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas turned out to my pick for the best movie of the Summer (so far) and maybe even the year. I have to concede that this is Dreamworks's next best animated endeavor, second only to their masterpiece, the almost perfect The Prince of Egypt.

You can do a lot of really cool things these days with animation, and with a legend like Sinbad, you can do even more. The legendary hero has to face a moral and ethical dilemma or two in this visually stunning film. The relationships are remarkably well-developed and the characters are extremely believable. Pfeiffer as Eris, the serpentine Goddess of discord is sultry and threateningly subtle. Zeta-Jones as the torn love interest is a feisty advocate for girl-power, but still manages to be feminine, even a damsel in distress at times. Joseph Fiennes, although not given much material, is charming as the good-natured and trusting Proteus, Prince and heir to the throne of Syracuse. Finally, Brad Pitt pulls off a dashing Sinbad, giving life to the role as I imagine only he could. The supporting cast, although they put me off a bit at first, turned out some remarkable comic relief. My only comment about that: Why is dog slobber funny? Spike almost got on my nerves, but at the exact right moment, they ended the slobber jokes and got on with character development and storytelling.

All in all, a spectacular feast for the senses, a romantic, swashbuckling adventure that will enchant all who get a chance to see it.

9.5/10

Once it gets going this is a great adventure

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
19 January 2008

Its an odd mix of computer and regular animation who's blending doesn't always seem seamless. It does work better than Dreamworks earlier Spirit since the mix helps to add to the other worldliness of some of the bits.

The basic plot has Sinbad trying to steal The Book of Peace from a ship on the ocean. When he finally runs down the ship he finds its commanded by a boyhood friend. Not one to stand on ceremony he attempts to steal the book only to be interrupted by a kraken like being sent by the goddess Eris. Together the pair defeat the beast, in one of the great set pieces of the film, but in the process Sinbad is swept overboard only to be rescued by Eris who tells him to steal the book for her and she'll make him rich. Sinbad agrees, but for reasons left for the viewing , he backs out only to be blamed for the theft anyway. His friend knows he's innocent and takes his place so Sinbad can attempt to get the book back with in the ten days before his execution.

Thats the first fifteen minutes.

Its not as exciting as all of that, these fifteen minutes I mean, since its badly handled exposition done to get the plot really moving.

I have a suspicion that the voyage was designed before the framing sequences and that the inclusion of Eris was done simply because it was a way to get the wheels in motion and have a magical air to it all.

The voice cast is uniformly excellent. It is quite possibly the best voice cast of this stature that I've seen in a long time. (That should be heard). The joys of the listening to Pitt, Pfeiffer, and Zeta-Jones is that they really are acting and really are selling the film. I can imagine everyone being on set and acting together even though the fact is far from the truth.

The writing is excellent and you can see that the film really was written as if it were a live action film in the way that the characters hang together is a more real way than in many animated films where characters are of a type and nothing more.Here the characters are people which is nice.

Because the writing is so good the reasons for things are clearer than in most animated films these are people reasons not cartoon reasons, for example the reason why Sinbad was gone for ten years could only have been come upon by someone who wrote a real script instead of fumbled around with a storyboard. This small moment is, for me one of the high points of the film. The dialog is fantastic, witty and snide and dead nuts on.

The film is best viewed as a film that exists only for the voyage since thats the best part and what a voyage it is. Here the film becomes a series of wonderful set pieces that are joy to behold, but are at times regrettably undercut by the bad directed linking material. Beyond saying ignore the links I want to say little about the actual film other than that the kraken sequence, the dragons teeth sequence, the island hopping, the snow bird and several others are fantastic adventure sequences that rouse you up and get you into the mood to go adventuring. This is great stuff.

And while this is a grand adventure it should be stated that this is a grand ROMANCE. Oh my word its wonderful, pull those little heart strings why don't you. This is the romance of Nick and Nora or Spencer and Susan, but with action added in.

And even as I wax poetic about the movie I must remind you that even as the voyage builds to a conclusion the movie wobbles a bit at the end, not the very end, but a couple of minutes before when I was going to myself, "thats it? You mean all of that and thats it?" Its bad direction I'm telling you (that or studio interference). there shouldn't be that bump towards the end...

But lest you worry it picks up and ends with a bang

Overlooked minor gem...

Author: José Luis Rivera Mendoza (jluis1984) from Mexico
1 June 2006

As it appeared on a year that was basically owned by Pixar's terrific "Finding Nemo", it is not surprising to find this film among the pile forgotten animations of that year. Along with Warner's "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" and Disney's other efforts ("Brother Bear" and "Piglet's Big Movie"), "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" went out as fast as it came. However, and unlike the other three movies, this one was actually better than good, and was a throw-back to the old animated adventures of sword and sorcery in many ways superior to Disney's "Hercules".

Sinbad, the Persian sailor of "The Book of One Thousand and One Nights", is drastically changed for this adventure. Here he appears (voiced by Brad Pitt) as an infamous Greek pirate who is hunting for the legendary "Book of Peace" in order to become rich enough to spend his days relaxing at Fiji. To his surprise, the Book is guarded by his childhood friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes), so he finally decides not to steal the Book. However, the Greek goddess Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer) also wants the Book, so she frames Sinbad for stealing the book, and now he has one chance to recover the Book and prove he is innocent or Proteus will be executed in his place.

That's the beginning of Sinbad's adventure and just like old swashbuckling films, the movie is charged with action, adventure and comedy, with also a bit of romance, courtesy of Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones), an adventurous woman confused by the love she feels for both Proteus and Sinbad. Directors Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson make a very good mix of modern and old school animations like Dreamworks previously did in "The Prince of Egypt" and "The Road to El Dorado". The mix of styles works very good for the most part although it was notorious in some scenes.

Purists will be disappointed as this is not a literal adaptation of the Travels of Sinbad, however, I think writer John Logan made a very good job mixing elements of both mythologies (arabian and Greek) as well as many references to the original literature works he bases his script in. The story unfolds smoothly and never gets boring or tedious, although it is true that at times it forgets it is an epic adventure and becomes a typical romantic comedy.

The voice work is relatively good, Michelle Pfeiffer is terrific as Eris and Fiennes gives the necessary dignity to Prince Proteus, but the rest of the cast is nothing special and one wonders why to hire a well-known movie star instead of more experienced voice actors. The characters are very well defined and the movie as a whole shows a big improvement over previous Dreamworks animated films.

While the film is very entertaining and funny, it lacks that "epic" feeling this kind of adventures should convey, and never truly explores its enormous potential. A better musical score and a couple of more action scenes would had improved the film a lot. The short runtime doesn't really help in this matter and it is a bit disappointing because it is a very well done film.

2003 will always be remembered as "Finding Nemo"'s year in terms of animated film, and the reason of that was the lack of a serious competition. Still, while nowhere near Pixar's modern classic, "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is an action-packed animated film that not only the young ones will enjoy, as it feels almost like one of those swashbuckling classics of old. 7/10

a bad message for little girls

Author: frojavigdis from Pacific Northwest
8 July 2003

First of all, I must say: I enjoyed this film overall. The animation was beautiful, the plot was entertaining. But I think the message this film gives to little girls is one of the most backward and unhealthy ones out there.

The message is that women should be attracted to rakes like Sinbad in the ever-faithful quest to find their "heart of gold" beneath the lies. The main female character, a strong and independent woman, has the ditzy failing that she believes that Sinbad (whom she barely knows) MUST have goodness in him, despite that he has shown none. She chooses him from the beginning over the honorable prince. This sends a message that women should tolerate liars believing that eventually their future actions will redeem them.

Give me the honest man over the liar anyday, and tell your girls that, too. Life ain't a romance novel, and don't we know it. :)

Forgettable Kids Flick

Author: christian123
5 July 2005

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas isn't a bad film its just not a very memorable one. Sinbad has spent his life asking for trouble, and trouble has finally answered. Framed for stealing one of the world's most priceless and powerful treasures--the Book of Peace--Sinbad has one chance to find and return the precious book, or his best friend Proteus will die. Sinbad decides not to take that chance and instead sets a course for the fun and sun of the Fiji Islands. But Proteus' beautiful betrothed, Marina, has stowed away on Sinbad's ship, determined to make sure that Sinbad fulfills his mission and saves Proteus' life. The plot sounds like it could be a fun flick for kids and adults but it didn't really turn out that way. While some kids will enjoy it those that do will probably forget about it pretty soon afterward. Other kids will probably find it dull and adults will find it to be too simple. There are some exciting moments in the film but nothing really worthwhile. The cast is terrific with three big stars attached to it. My favorite in the film was Michelle Pfeiffer though she wasn't really in it that much. Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones were also enjoyable but just because an animated film has a strong cast doesn't mean that the film will improve (unless Robin Williams is in it). There are two directors and Tim Johnson is probably the more talented one as he directed Antz. DreamWorks has had success with animated films including Antz, Shrek, Shrek 2 but the story in this film isn't as good as the previous films. There are some flaws in the story but most people will be able to look past them. The movie is relatively short at just 85 minutes long which is normal for a 2D picture and its done to save money. Is this film worth watching? No, there are plenty of better choices for your family to watch but it wouldn't hurt if you did check it out. In the end, this is a rather disappointing movie that shouldn't really please a whole lot of people but it is more entertaining then the Hulk. Rating 5.4/10

Horrible movie

Author: Luxurious
4 January 2017

What's wrong? The whole movie to be honest.

You have a movie about a guy from the Middle Eastern story 1001 Arabian Nights, who lives in Italy, and Interacts with a Greek Goddess (Eris is the Greek name). Oh boy... First of all, if you can't be bothered to get the culture correct, then don't do it at all. The kids who are going to watch this movie are mostly in elementary school, they don't really know much about any of the mythology in the movie no matter what you write. The people who DO know mythology are going to be annoyed that you are mixing them up. Though I'll get off of the cultural mixing, because that's honestly the least of this movie's problem.

Let's move on to the worst thing about this movie. Sinbad, who's a thief, sexist, selfish, and a homewrecker. Notice a problem? Yeah, this is the main PROTAGONIST. The audience is supposed to root for the hero, so it's the job of the writer to make the main character likable. I'm not saying that Sinbad should be perfect, but he should at the very least be likable. The beginning starts him off as unlikable. A great thing to do would be to redeem his character in the middle of the movie. Instead, I'm more disgusted by him as the movie goes on. Sinbad goes from a selfish thief, to a selfish misogynistic homewrecker. Let me remind you, that this is the guy we're supposed to root for, how fun.

The ending of the movie becomes horrible simply because Sinbad got his happy ending and Eris lost. The sad thing about Eris is that she was right at the end, Sinbad didn't care about his friend. His friend laid his life on the line only for Sinbad to want to vacation to Fuji instead of rescuing his friend. He only changed his mind because the fiancé of his friend paid him to. Sinbad also started flirting with her in less than 10 days after he promised to rescue his friend. He also ended up taking her in the end. Tell me again, why I'm supposed to root for this guy?

Sinbad's Critical Review

Author: Kris from US
1 November 2016

Dreamworks' "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" Has Audience Ambitions

A review on Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Pirates. You're on a ship in the middle of the sea, the salty ocean air crisp and fresh. Constantly rocking back and forth, always on the search for ships and land. A life of adventure on the sea, going anywhere and everywhere. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is a movie about piracy, love, comedy and adventure. A pirate that wants to steal a book, a goddess that wants to see the world crumble, and a princess that wishes to save her fiancé.

An audience of families with imagination-hungry children and their doting parents would fully enjoy the tale of Sinbad. There is adventure to envy, battles to be watched, and love to be adored. Sinbad and his pirate crew roam the seven seas in search of loot. He's searching for the Book of Peace, not to help the world. No, he wants steal it and exchange it for enough gold to buy the beaches of Fiji because he's greedy. He fights many monsters while in search of the Book of Peace. Meanwhile, he meets the wonderful love of his life.

Unfortunately, there is also a lack of background to the tale. The pirate captain's background is never really explained, nor are any other characters. With a severe lack of background info about the characters, it's sometimes hard to feel connected to the story, or to feel close to the characters. But despite that lack of information, the characters' traits will make the audience feel as if they know and understand the characters. They'll feel happy when Eris returns the book and the princess's fiancé may live. The audience would be proud of Sinbad when he defeats the villains of the story. The audience will feel like a friend to Sinbad.

There's music to help the story along. Calm music is played to make the audience feel calm during the time that Sinbad is in Syracuse Castle. Strange music during the strange moment that Eris is stealing the book, while there's upbeat music for when Sinbad is battling a giant snowbird.

From personal experience, I can say this movie will grab the audience's attention instantly and won't let them go until they see the credits roll up the screen, and leave them wishing for more. Those that enjoy Treasure Planet, El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, and Shrek shall surely enjoy the tale of Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas!

not great but...

Author: Kirpianuscus from Romania
22 October 2016

nice. and this is the basic virtue of any animation. because the story could be surprising only for the details and the voices are the only clue for define interesting characters and the adventures are crumbs from same type many another films. short, the noble friend, the thief who becomes hero, the love as the necessary spice, a bad girl who seems be the most important motif to see the film. and, sure, perfect actors to give soul to the characters. it is not easy to define Sinbad as a great animation. but it represents pure entertainment. and this is the only thing who could be considered important. because , maybe, it is a good opportunity to remind the old stories about the legendary travels of the lead hero.

A very enjoyable adventure movie!

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
26 October 2015

I really liked the fact, Brad Pitt was involved in this movie along with Catherine Zeta-Jones and of course, the beautiful Michelle Pfeiffer. You just have to laugh at this film even if some parts were more frightening then others. I never got around watching this movie until I saw this last night and was blown away!

It was interesting to hear that there really was a man named Sinbad but I suppose, he wasn't as sleazy as the character in this movie. I say, he would've been a rather hard working pirate who had no time for nonsense and got on with his work as a boss of the ship.

It's too bad Dreamworks aren't making any more 2-D films because the 3-D films aren't really that great and not easy enough to enjoy!

Really good fun, great adventure film

Author: peternelson333 from UK
21 September 2015

Sinbad was another of my childhood favourites and I was surprised to find that it held up well under scrutiny when I watched it again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually found this story really interesting and engaging and I really enjoyed the sense of adventure in it. I've got to admit that the star of this film is the villain- the goddess of war, Eris- voiced by Michelle Pfeiffer. It's not the writing or the voice work that makes this character shine- it's a combination of absolutely incredible animation and the music. This little film was great fun and an adventure that I really enjoyed and would recommend it to all animation fans for the villain alone. Of course the film lacks real-depth, character development, any real themes etc (which is why my rating is so harsh) but this is a thoroughly enjoyable film which was a real joy to watch. 6/10

Light and young but kind of plain.

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
14 September 2015

Apart from the animation, hence the special visual effects of this animation, the film is rather banal though it has little to do with the original Sindbad the Sailor. It adds a supernatural evil world dominated by a woman that goes far beyond the story as we know it and even as we can dream it. The main story here is about the existence of a book of peace that establishes peace in the world. The supernatural evil being wants to steal it to create chaos and havoc. She manages at first and then Sinbad has to recuperate it.

Yet the story adds three elements that give it some interesting dimension. The first one is a dog. Sinbad has a big and extremely faithful and frightening dog that can fight just like any other sailor. Sinbad is not a merchant he is a captain and he has the whole crew of his ship under his own command, including the dog who is also a perfect autonomous attacker..

The second real change or addition is the fact that Sinbad has an extremely old and close friend and it looks and sounds like more than just a best friend. This best-er friend is ready to exchange his own life for that of Sinbad after the evil woman has stolen the book and Sinbad is accused of being the mastermind of the theft. But this best friend is about to get married to the daughter of the local ruler. So she does not exactly like the deal. She knows Sinbad has not stolen the book his best friend had brought in the first place, but she does not trust Sinbad who is supposed to go and recuperate it. So she goes along, incognito at first but very fast known of all and public.

That's the really funny part because she falls in love of course with that poor Sinbad who did not exactly fell for her at first sight, even if his dog did. But after the confrontation with the evil female supernatural being with whom Sinbad had a "truth or dare" game of some sort that this evil woman declared he had lost, Sinbad and his best friend's fiancée have to go back. But unluckily for the evil woman he had told her if he did not get the book he would go back to save his friend. She did not believe it: "You lied!" But he does go back and he takes the place of his friend on the execution chopping block, which gives the lie to the evil woman who had called him a liar.

Strangely enough this evil woman has honor and she comes and delivers the book since Sinbad had said the truth and thus had won the game.

I let you discover the last twist that gives a perfect good ending in romantic colors and music to the film. It should be a good film for primary school kids, but beyond twelve you'd better abstain.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU

A classic Dreamworks movie!

Author: meganphipps
9 August 2015

THIS IS HAS TO BE A UNIQUE AND AN AMAZING FILM EVER DONE BY DREAMWORKS. This was one of my favourite films when I was growing up and I would always watch when I could, still own it to this very day. This film makes you want to sail the seven seas and makes you think of adventure (I know I did when I saw it). Dreamworks always makes amazing animated films and to be honest this is one of their better ones (in my opinion anyway). One of my favourite from this movie has to be when Sinbad goes to save Marina from a huge snow owl and they keep making noises. This is a good film for any one who looks sea movies or just like dreamworks. Favourite quote 'Put a shirt on before you poke someone's eyes out!'

Sinbad's Greatest Adventure.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
21 July 2015

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003): Dir: Tim Johnson, Patrick Gilmore / Voices: Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer, Joseph Fiennes, Dennis Haysbert: Exciting and adventurous animation in the inspiring texture of Ray Harryhausen's Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and Golden Voyage of Sinbad. When Goddess Eris steals the book of peace Sinbad is suspected due too his nature as a thief. He is saved from death when a childhood friend is up next for the throne and he takes Sinbad's place save Sinbad retrieve the book. He gathers a crew and the unwelcome presence of a female who rescues them on more than one occasion. They encounter hideous monsters including an island that turns out to be a giant fish, and a giant bird with human prey in mind. Even the ending is clever boarding on suspense. Well directed by Tim Johnson and Patrick Gilmore with great animated detail. Voice talents led by Brad Pitt as Sinbad who must accept responsibility for his actions. Michelle Pfeiffer voices the scheming Eris who impersonates Sinbad to steal the book then sends several monsters to prevent his victory. Catherine Zeta-Jones voices the heroine who is Sinbad's friend's fiancé. Joseph Fiennes voices his friend who nearly sacrifices himself. It is an animated reflection upon classic Sinbad and it is pretty much the best version of the classic tale that one can ask for. Score: 10 / 10

adventure in pure form

Author: Armand from Romania
7 June 2015

a real, real good film. for the beautiful animation. for the smart manner for remind an old hero. for the science to be perfect choice for the kids but, in same measure, for the adults. for the large circle of nuances and emotions and drops of fairy tale, romance and fascinating fights, myth and moral values. for a credible Sinbad. and for the powerful flavor of childhood in right tone, with precise force. a film who explores all in a lovely manner. the result - it seduces in a special form . and that fact is its secret ingredient - to be a splendid breathtaking travel . one of animations who has a high level. for the original story. for the credible characters. and, sure, for the actors

An enjoyable swashbuckling animated flick starring Brad Pitt as the title charcther

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
26 June 2014

Sinbad Legend Of The Seven Seas is a 2003 animated movie from Dreamworks Animation and tells the tale of the swashbuckling thief Sinbad(voiced by Brad Pitt who I swear looks like Eugene Fitzherbert from Tangled)who is framed for stealing the book of piece,but Arias(voiced by Michelle Phieffer)pretended to be him so that he can be framed for doing it. Of course Sinbad's buddy (voiced by Joseph Fiennes) knows that Sinbad will never steal the book of piece so he decides to free Sinbad so that he can get the book of piece off Arias. Problems arises however when Sinbad falls for his buddies fiancé named Mariana(voiced by Catherine Zeta Jones) who joins Sinbad on his quest to find the book of piece.

Overall I found this film entertaining,its got great animation,the voice cast was good even though you know its an actor behind a microphone but still all animated movies have well known actors in them from Eddie Murphy to Ben Stiller etc. The story is nice too and the backgrounds look great. The film is like a cartoon version of Pirates of the Caribbean and the charcther design for Sinbad is like a carbon copy of Eugene Fitzherbert from Tangled despite the fact Sinbad was made in 2003 while Tangled was released in 2010.

Yeah I mention Tangled a lot in my reviews apologizes for that but hey if you are looking for a fun swashbuckling adventure movie with great action and charcthers Sinbad Legend Of The Seven Seas isn't a bad movie to watch check it out and see what you think of it.

The big budget 2D drawing movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 March 2014

Bandit of the seas Sinbad (Brad Pitt) is tricked by Greek goddess of chaos Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer). She steals the magical Book of Peace and he's framed for the thief. Sinbad is sentenced to death. His childhood friend Prince Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) of Syracuse is a straight arrow, and he takes the place of Sinbad for his punishment. Sinbad is given 10 days to return the book or else Prince Proteus will be put to death. Proteus' fiancée Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) stowaway on Sinbad's ship while he debates whether to runaway to Fiji.

This is a DreamWorks animation. It has the looks of a 2-D animation along with CG. It looks like a cheaper straight to video animation. This money loser signals a change over to the CG world. The story lacks suspense or magic, but it seems just good enough. The big name voices doesn't help anything. The high seas adventure is reasonable but rambling. The lack of moral backbone is very trying.

Aw-some!!

Author: bonnie-hartsfield from United States
3 September 2013

I loved this!!!

A Persian/Arabian sailor named Sinbad. A quest to find the magical legendary Book of Peace. A beautiful princess. Eris, the Greek wicked goddess of chaos. This mostly traditionally animated motion picture demonstrates that computer special effects hasn't completely dominated the cartoon genre. The solid storyline & only the briefest of dummy moments inserted mostly for the kids, makes Sinbad an excellent offering for summer entertainment. Instead of fluff, we get creative animation with great computer effects as highlights, characters we can care about, & a storyline based on the most basic, fundamental moral premises - the nature of friendship & sacrifice, along with a strong female character. Sinbad brings back and more the classic animation motion pictures with vivid, bright, & glorious expression. The movie concerns on Simbad, 1001 nights' hero. The sailor of legend is framed by the goddess Eris for the theft of the Book of Peace, as an object with extraordinary power has been stolen and Simbad must retrieve it but if he doesn't obtain it, his friend prince will be beheaded. Simbad goes out with his ship and the pirates henchmen & as stowaway the prince's girlfriend. They will ought to face off several dangers: storms, ominous sirens, deep chasms, giant animals & must travel to a realm at the end of the world to retrieve it & save the life of his childhood friend Prince Proteus. Good production by Jerry Katzemberg, David Geffen who along with Steven Spielberg constituted Dreamworks. Harry Gregson Williams' musical score is atmospheric & enjoyable. The fable will appeal to fantasy fans & adventure cartoon buffs. Rating: very nice, well catching. Sinbad the Sailor, probably the greatest anti-hero of the Arabian Knights, has seen many incarnations over the years. This time a new animated film from DreamWorks delves into the myth with some celebrity voices in tow. I thought the animation was great. Just because it isn't Toy Story 3 doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact the shape-shifter was just amazing. The animation graphics were brilliant, nice & big monsters for the family to enjoy. A bit of comedy thrown in there for the adults. A great one to see if you are a animation fan. This movie is definitely a keeper. I loved the animation and the storyline. But I love this one! The story is absolutely new, surprising & imaginative. The runtime's movie is short, so no time to bore. The characters way of talking is really fun & modern, with hilarious quotes.

An adventure set out on high seas

Author: neenahhh
26 April 2011

It's sad to hear that some of DreamWork's and Disney's best films flopped and did badly in the box office. "Atlantic: The Lost City", "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron", "The Road to El Dorado" and "Treasure Planet" are victims of this. Unfortunately, it seems that "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is one of these examples. This movie, though not a masterpiece, is entertaining and fun.

Sinbad is a thief who enjoys sailing with his crew. His newest conquest is the Book of Peace, which is being guarded by his close friend, Proteus. Eric, the Goddess of Discord, steals the book herself and frames Sinbad. Everyone is accusing Sinbad of theft and the high officials have sentenced him to death. Proteus sticks up for his friend and now, Sinbad must sail across the seas in 10 days to get the Book of Peace back from Eris, otherwise the death of Proteus will be because of him.

This was good. One of DreamWork's better films. The action scenes were thrilling enough for a kid's movie. The humor in this movie is targeted to people of all ages. Although, there may be one or two jokes that kids won't get. Nothing too crude, though. Some may say that the morals in this movie isn't ideal, especially for children. I, on some level, agree. (SPOILER:) I felt sorry for Proteus in the ending when he allowed Marina to leave him to go sailing around the world with Sinbad. I also wasn't a huge fan of Marina, herself. (/SPOILER) But that doesn't take away the fun that the movie gives.

I found a lot of similarities with this film and Disney's "Treasure Planet". Both movies took place (most of the time) on a ship and the main goal of both movies was to find some sort of treasure. I liked both movies, but for me, I liked "Treasure Planet" better since I was more involved with it emotionally. "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is somehow on par with "The Road to El Dorado". A great and entertaining movie, but not perfect.

Viewed on: April 26, 2011

Endearing, Exciting, and Cute

Author: moonmonday from United States
25 December 2010

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is an exciting adventure, and it has the obligatory clever quips and laughs, as well as minor romantic qualities that always seem to find their way into these films. The very strong cast does a very good job of their roles, especially Michelle Pfeiffer as Eris. Animation is smooth and well-done, and although the heavy use of computer animation sometimes doesn't work perfectly, overall it does a good job. In the year it was made, it was very advanced, and it holds up admirably.

The music is appropriate and well-composed and performed, which of course adds to the enjoyment and the emotion of scenes. The character designs are excellent, and they form a well-rounded group that gives an interesting variety, in every way possible.

The story engages the audience quickly, since the action begins immediately. It keeps moving rapidly enough, which is good because it also keeps the audience occupied with what's happening, instead of letting them stop and consider some of the parts of the film that don't quite work.

When Sinbad is framed for stealing the Book of Peace, he is condemned to be executed for it, but his childhood friend -- Prince Proteus -- demands to take his place, giving him 10 days to retrieve the book from Eris, the Goddess of Discord who framed him. The problem I had with this was that there were too many confusing questions left unanswered. For example, this society, governed by both crowned royals and a council (who are apparently higher in authority), apparently relies on a physical thing, a single book, to maintain the peace of their kingdom and even the physical beauty and stability of it. This seems problematic to me, as it seems also to indicate -- and accurately, given their immediate willingness to execute Sinbad despite his words to the contrary and even the prince's statement -- that the people have relied on the book, rather than developing their own society into a truly enlightened, peaceful society. It's clearly not that peaceful if they have people's heads chopped off after being presumed guilty.

Furthermore, even if they are obliged to accommodate his request, a council that is willing to let the most important prince, heir in line for the throne, actually be executed is a problematic society indeed. Although it is stated later by Eris that this is part of her plan, and that she expected it, at the same time it makes it very difficult to sympathise with the people and be concerned for their well-being, and the book. Perhaps it would be better if they were to lose their all-important magical artefact and change for the better!

The book was returning to Syracuse at the beginning, but it isn't said where it was and why it was away. It also isn't clear how the book works, either, since when Eris steals the book, the city immediately becomes darker and the buildings deteriorate, and when it's returned at the end, they're immediately restored. How does that work exactly, if it was only being brought back at the beginning of the film? But it's easy to see why these things were not brought up. The people of Syracuse weren't really meant to be that sympathetic, because obviously the audience were supposed to like and cheer for Sinbad, and that is accomplished very well. It may well be that the writers set it up so that the apology Sinbad receives at the end is more appreciated by the audience, and that perhaps, one imagines, the people will re-examine their system of government and dependency on a single item for the welfare of their realm.

But really, the film is so lovable that it's easy to overlook that and simply assume that the people were meant to be cast as antagonists (which they are, though relatively lesser than Eris, of course) who are later given a sort of redemption. It also makes the film much more dynamic than most fare for young audiences, in showing that appearances are not everything, and even the most idyllic-seeming place can have serious problems that aren't handily solved in the space of a 90-minute adventure. It also shows that nobility isn't something that can be equated with lawfulness or authority, which is another good message; even if Sinbad is a thief and a pirate, he ultimately does what's right, whereas those in authority in Syracuse repeatedly do instead what is wrong.

The only really nagging regret I have with the film is that Proteus never really gets a break. Nothing good comes of his nobility. He is a genuinely good person who does the right thing in every case, and yet he receives no reward for it. That was the only real disappointment in the film; even if the rest of the inhabitants of Syracuse were not particularly respectable, he at least tried to do his best and not only nearly died for it, but also lost his fiancée, for whom he seemed to harbour genuine feelings.

However, the film was quite good, quite strong and well-done, and although it might seem to try too hard at first, it quickly warms the viewer up to it and its sense of humour. Like any good comedy act, the jokes do get funnier. The action was gripping, the adventure was well-paced, and in a particularly unique and nice turn, the final confrontation didn't involve swashbuckling or violence, but cleverness and intelligent conversation. Amazing!

You could do worse than spend an hour and a half with Sinbad. The unique Greek tones add a novel element as well. All in all, it's a fantastically fun adventure. Just don't think about that book too much!

One of my favorite animated films

Author: LiquidEcho
11 December 2010

I am surprised this has so low a rating on IMDb. This is a wonderful adventure tale about an Arabian sailor called Sindbad and his quest to travel beyond the horizon to recover the Book of Peace, which keeps the world in order, after it had been taken by Eris, the goddess of Chaos. Along for the ride is a beautiful and strong woman named Marina, who is the love of Sindbad's best friend, but whom he is in love with as well. This Odyssey-like adventure takes them to many fantastical and wonderful places and all I can say is that between the astounding scenery, the interesting plot and the cute quips, there is never a dull moment in this amazing animated film. There is a strong moral lesson about friendship, honesty and self- sacrifice woven in. However, what truly grabs hold of me is the feeling I get after each viewing: this wide-eyed hopeful feeling that one day, I will get to have my own adventures in lands far away. Also, I cannot help but fall in love with the artistic productions in the movie. The colors are breath-taking and I love the effects they produce. I definitely recommend this movie to those who are wanderlusts at heart.

Actually Good!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
28 November 2010

When I first saw Sinbad years ago, I thought this would be an animated ripoff of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie that came out. It turned out to be more decent than I thought this would be. They should have made a sequel to this movie because I would have enjoyed it.

This is about some pirate who is blamed for stealing the Book of Life even though he didn't do it. His mission is to claim the book back from the Goddess Eris in Tartarus and save the life of the prince.

The voice acting is quite pleasant. I was able to recognize the voices of Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

The animation is pretty good. It's not as breathtaking like some of today's animated films. But it's good enough.

Overall, this is a decent, swashbuckling film. I would like to see a sequel but too bad. I rate this film 8/10.

An entertaining animated film

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
15 November 2007

Released at a time when CGI was getting just that wee bit more popular, they released this entertaining, well animated, Dreamworks motion picture. This is very exciting, the plot is easy to follow, the animation is good and the characters with their actors go very well. It is a shame this film isn't QUITE as popular as it could be, but it isn't the least well-known film in the world.

On a downside, this film has some unnecessary disgusting parts and some parts which have a wee bit of slapstick and violence. Luckily this doesn't lower the quality of the film TOO much and it still remains highly enjoyable!

Not exactly true to the original Arabian Nights tales, this has Eris, the Goddess of Dischord (who I think is in Greek mythology) and a storyline unlike one in any version of the tales. Sinbad is trying to steal the Book of Peace, which keeps peace for the legendary twelve cities. On board the ship he is trying to steal from, he meets Prince Proteus, he and Sinbad were once childhood friends. Just as he is going to get it, a sea monster attacks the boat and brings struggling Sinbad to the murky depths, where he meets Eris. They make a deal and being the sneaky Goddess of Dischord, she has some surprise changes in store...

A very good film, entertaining and good quality. Enjoy "Sinbad, Legend Of The Seven Seas"!

who"s bad........ Sin.....bad

Author: dsl3001 from United States
17 February 2007

This was a movie that didn't deserve to be in the top 250 especially not in the top 30's. I would like to say something about this not really bad movie who's bad........ Sin.....bad. I would definitely say that about this movie first of all it is'nt great. first of all some parts were a little boring to me but that didn't seem to matter to much. Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson were the directors of this movie. Though I would have to say Tim Johnson was definitely more talented. After all Patrick Gilmore has only worked on video games until he directed Sinbad. Tim Johnson is more talented because he had his directional debut on ANTZ and after he did Sinbad he directed OVER THE HEDGE which were both better movies. This movie had a huge difference to SPIRIT STALLION OF THE CIMMARON. If I were to choose between STALLION and Sinbad I would have to say both the same. First of all they both weren't great but they both had good moments in it. But like I said This movie isn't really bad it's just not very good either. But I do think who's bad....... Sin......bad would be a good tagline for it.

Not great but enjoyable

Author: themarina1 from Vancouver, BC
24 November 2003

I liked the story here and though there were many missed opportunities. This had such great potential. It was very enjoyable and entertaining and a great kids movie but it could have been much, much better. Special effects and animation were excellent. Not a must watch but ok for an afternoon in.

THIS IS NOT DISNEY!

Author: a_non-existent_user from Orlando, Florida
19 November 2003

This film, contrary to popular belief, is a Dream Works collaboration, no Disney whatsoever. It's also Dream Works' last venture into 2D. As mediocre as it was, and as bad as it did in cinemas, I'm not in any way surprised. This was not good, but not bad, more like okay.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas- **1/2 out of *****

Decent, though repetitive

Author: (thousandisland@excite.com) from Washington, USA
16 August 2003

In some ways, this is your typical animated film from Dreamworks. The plot is uneven, the main characters look like the same ones you've seen before, and Jim Cummings voices everyone else. This is too bad because it has some positive elements like satisfactory character development (for the main roles, anyway) and an engaging story. Brad Pitt is a poor choice for Sinbad, though, and it's obvious that he was selected for his "Big Celebrity" appeal instead of any talent. This is also the second ocean-going movie of late that has included a repetitive plot device to help it along. In "Finding Nemo" it was: "Big, carnivorous fish/whale chases and attacks our little friends" and that happens three or four times. Here it's "Giant, poorly-blended, computer-generated monster goes after our little friends." This happens about three times, and in the shadow of Dreamworks' *earlier* repetitive plot device, which was, "The cavalry keeps chasing our heroes and won't leave them alone," multiplied by three or four.

Even with these failings, "Sinbad" is an interesting watch for being weird and unpredictable. I think this is one of those movies that would have made a lot more money if it had come out before CGI rose to power. For me, there is no greater thrill than sitting in a dim theater, waiting for the start of a brand new, 2D film that I've never seen before, so I went to this one with heart open and had a pretty good time. It only didn't hold up well on a second viewing due to its minimal, undetailed script.

"Sinbad" isn't a great film, but I would recommend it for anyone the first time. It is a fun watch when you don't know what's coming.

So near, but yet so far

Author: Stephen Juby (Stevolteon) from Frinton, England

**Spoiler warning**

Okay, so, this is theoretically a kids film - although if that's so, quite what pull Dreamworks expect drafting in Brad Pitt to have I don't know.

I have to say I was quite looking forward to this, modern animation gives Sinbad stories that edge I feel the old creakily stop-motioned flicks lacked. Upon seeing it I was probably slightly more disappointed than impressed, but it definitely wasn't all bad.

On the upside, the animation was good, as was the score and the general plot. It makes for quite light entertainment, definitely something the kids would enjoy, and stands a good chance of making mums and dads laugh too.

On the downside though there are several factors which didn't quite gel. I felt the crew held a lot of potential to be developed as characters, but were more or less ignored in favour of Sinbad's dog... the "Jar Jar" of this film so to speak, who didn't need to exist at all, but doubtless will come off as a kids favourite.

While the animation did give much smoother running than the jerky stop motion of the films as I anticipated, this was effectively ruined by the jerkiness of the storytelling, very much jumping from set-piece to set-piece with little or nothing connecting them.

It also somehow failed to be quite as epic as it could and should have been. Some of the monster encounters were very impressive, but there were only about 3, and the ice bird/snowboarding sequence looked lifted straight from a video game. Also I'd expect the Goddess of Chaos, Eris' "chaos realm" Tartarus to be, well, chaotic! As such it was one of the biggest anti-climaxes I've seen in a long while, her astral hang out at the beginning would have been better, or anything really - even just sticking a kaleidoscope effect on the sand would have done!

Still, it's definitely worth watching the once, and I have to say that I'd probably go watch a sequel if one came about.

A different opinion

Author: Roy Caldwell (rcaldwell@stlawu.edu)
16 August 2003

I don't get it. Why did this film flop? It has great action pieces, a fine storyline with good surprises, excellent characters and romance at the center, sharp dialogue, good comedy, an animal who's not too cute, and terrific visuals. It blows away the insipid Nemo and the overblown Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe Sinbad failed at box offices because it's a film without an audience -- too sophisticated for children (it's not about parents and children like Nemo), and adults don't go to see animation. This film resembles (and ranks with) the classic swashbucklers from the thirties or forties. I have a 5-year-old daughter and I've seen all the US cartoons from the past 20 years -- and Sinbad is the best. Not as good as any of Miyazaki's work, but worth seeing and reseeing.

Slightly better than average kid/boy film

Author: Colin R. Glassey from Bay Area, CA USA
12 August 2003

I saw it with my 3 sons, age 10, 8, and 4. They all liked the film so I think it works with the target audience (they ALL liked the silly dog character...).

As an adult I really liked the look of the film. The "sets" were beautiful, from Atlantis-like cities to the strange and wonderful land of chaos. The ship looked great and you could see they spent a lot of time and effort on animating the rigging and sails.

The characters were only so-so. Sinbad's boyhood friend, the Prince, is a fool. Sinbad himself is jerk. Eris, Goddess of Discord was great.

The story was weak. The real Sinbad was a merchant of Baghdad who went on many trading voyages to India and beyond and came back home each time wealthy and filled with incredible stories about his travels. Sinbad was not a pirate or anti-hero, he was a merchant: clever, brave, and lucky. I have no doubt that there was a real Sinbad from around 850 C.E.

The Sinbad in this movie is basically a run-of-the-mill (Greek) pirate. Fast talking, fast on his feet but not much for planning or introspection. Absurdly, these pirate are wealthy, and the crew is honest and loyal to Sinbad. Also, oddly to me, the pirates are from all over the world (China and Mexico being the farthest from Greece) and talk about retiring to the islands of Fiji (?!). Couldn't they come up with some excuse for this multi-cultural pirate crew?

Still, despite the flaws, the movie worked well for me. It showed care, attention to detail, and some flashs of visual brilliance. It might (barely) be worth owning. Not as good (by a long shot) as "Finding Nemo" but better than "Monsters Inc".

Quality flick with good voice talent

Author: Danny_G13 from Glasgow, Scotland
26 July 2003

I'm not particularly partial for animated movies. Sure, I saw them when I was younger but these days I prefer live action. The only animated movie I've seen bar this in recent times is Shrek, which was brilliant. This isn't quite as good as that, but it is reasonably good in its own right. Providing the voices are Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Joseph Fiennes, and the story is about Sinbad's adventures in the quest for the 'Book of peace', which has been stolen by the Evil Eris, Goddess of War. The voice actors all seem to have tremendous fun here, especially Pitt who says he enjoyed this and it was a 'piece of cake' to make. The plot is predictable, although there are the odd few surprises thrown in for good measure. Animation is pretty good, although there is definitely a reliancy these days to go with computer-animated 3D effects. This is neither good nor bad - just progress, I suppose. The one very surprising element here is the violence - rated 'U'in the UK for Universal, meaning anyone can see it, I was a little taken aback by the violence. Sure, it's not real, what with it being animated and all, but it is depicted well, and rather graphically. I feel this should have been PG, for Parental Guidance. Apart from all that, it's good enough fare. The romantic element is played decently, without ever being too slushy, and the comedy element is moderate with a few good chuckles. Slight element of 'by the numbers' about this, but it's still decent entertainment.

Better than Disney junk - Dreamworks does it again!

Author: alc01 from USA
25 July 2003

This is more of a "D and D" adventure than a "cartoon". Lots of the lines and action is adult themed and can be enjoyed by all. Don't get me wrong, the kids will enjoy it as well. But there are enough plot twists to make it enjoyable - if only Xena could have been this good!

Great Movie! (With Brad Pitt involved, how couldn't it be?)

Author: sheepie87 from Wisconsin, U.S.A.
16 July 2003

Today I took my brother and two friends to see Sinbad (etc.),

expecting it to be ... too Disney. This film was very appealing

because it had an actual storyline, instead of being interrupted

every ten minutes by a song-and-dance number. It also didn't

moralize. It's up to the viewers to do that. The one thing that I disliked about Sinbad was the choppy switch

between the different types of animation. In the close-up shots of

the character interaction, they look nice and flat. But as the shot

pulls away, suddenly their figures begin to resemble crude 3-D

video game players. Come on Dreamworks, you can do better

than that. P.S. In the movie, they were not discussing ARIES. It was ERIS,

goddess of discord who threw the golden apple ... leading to the

Trojan war etc. But that doesn't matter! Who cares which goddess

she is? She was a pretty cool villain. (Particularly with all the

smoky swooshing around the screen. Loved it!)

There's more here than some silly pirates...

Author: Sylvia from United States
3 July 2003

Indeed, Sinbad was very cute in some places, very exciting in others, and quite funny in many. The script is quite clever and although the sort-of-obvious mixture of cartoon and computers was never my cup of tea, it doesn't bother me so much here. The characters at least have a few or a couple of layers which is new for any animated movie that is geared towards children. And, as I said, the script has some funny moments that made the movie worth seeing (especially when you go just to hear Brad Pitt's voice, which is expressive and effective, I might add) :^) So as an adult going to see a kid's movie I wasn't terribly disappointed and the children in the theatre with me seemed to enjoy it as well!! *** out of ****

A terrific movie for kids and adults!!!

Author: Jenna Smith (valentinedeer214-1) from Pasadena, TX
2 July 2003

I just took my little sister to see it, and it was hilarious! Pitt gives Sinbad enough humor to entertain kids, and "mature humor' for the adults. (Wink wink) Catherine Zeta Jones is really lovable as the spunky Marina, Pfeiffer is sinisterly evil and sweet as the goddess of discord Eris, Proteus is, like, the most loyal friend I have ever seen and Sinbad's crew is very charming and funny. Also, Spike the dog is adorable, minus the constant slobber. ;)

Also, lots of action! A sea monster, a Fish Island, sexy yet vicious Sirens (notice that one flashes her pointy, neon green teeth) a huge snow bird, and your good old fashioned swash-buckling sword fights. A big kudos to the people who choreographed the sword fights. It was awesome!

Also, it has many good morals. Stealing is wrong, follow your heart, be loyal to people, treat people with kindness, be selfless, and keep your word.

Of course the plot is predictable, but they give it to you in a sweet, funny way. And it works. I recommend this movie to anyone.

Who's bad? Sinbad! ... But, bad in a good way... Heh heh...

Good not great

Author: buffylover1985 from Australia
29 June 2003

This was good, excellent animation and great voice cast but the lack of humour only makes it a good movie not a great one. That said there are some good one-liners but not enough of them. One excellent feature of this movie though, is the fact that not one song by a old rock or pop legend is featured. No Phil Collins=good. Unfortunately Disney's next effort Brother Bear looks like it suffers from a serious case of Phil Collins-itis

Fun for the kids

Author: pokeybun from Brisbane, Australia
29 June 2003

A fairly innocuous and amusing animation which should be a hit with the kids although the smaller ones in the cinema at my viewing got rather restless during the slower parts. Nice animation with some very attractive special effects. The best part about this movie (in my opinion) are the voices which are excellent, especially Pfeiffer as Eris. I'm not a Pitt or Zeta-Jones fan but they also did very good work.

All in all a nice bit of fluff with some good comedy lines and very nice action sequences.

A Breathtaking Adventure!

Author: Katherine Brodsky (editor@modamag.com) from Universe
27 June 2003

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Dreamworks SKG) This film I could hardly contain my excitement for. With a terrific cast, consisting of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Marina, Brad Pitt as Sinbad, Michelle Pfeiffer as Eris, and Ralph Fiennes as Proteus, I was high with anticipation. The plot revolves around an Arabian pirate and adventurer (Sinbad) who must return the Book of Peace (a magical book that keeps the Twelve Cities safe from harm) in order to save his friend Proteus. It doesn't help that Sinbad is a pirate who doubts his heart and is constantly being lured into traps by Eris, the Greek goddess of Chaos. Not quite fully a kid's movie, and not quite one geared towards adults, SINBAD is universal enough to appeal to both categories. All of the characters are rich, exciting and innovative. The animation is breathtaking, as is the vision. And beyond the overriding adventure, it is also a tale of courage, friendship, love, trust and passion. It is as old-fashioned a tale as any, but who says that this is such a bad thing? 3.25/4

small note of praise

Author: hettabarf from Tx, USA
25 June 2003

Although the plot was predictably formulaic there was a lot of good action and good humor, entertaining for the adults as well and, a lovely surprise, no singing. The character of Eris was particularly captivating. When the movie was over, there was a lot of clapping. A fun adventure cartoon most kids will probably enjoy.

An excellent picture and sensational voice: Michelle Pfeiffer

Author: latino_expresion from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
25 June 2003

Very beautiful colours for an splendid picture, probably, the best animated picture in long time.

This movie, will like all people for the magnificent story it shows us, a good related arabian legend of Symbad, the sailor.

Action, humor, emotions, romance... a film completed by great perfomances and, very specially, we can to see the handsome Symbad and fall in love with him; then, there is other very exciting something : the beautiful voice of a movies Queen: MICHELLE PFEIFFER.

I love this picture !!!!!!!!

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
10 January 2011

I think I remember there being an animated television series on CITV based on the famous sailor, but that it is not what this film is based on, I just remember seeing a short trailer and it sounding mildly interesting. Basically Arabian rogue adventurer and sailor Sinbad (Brad Pitt) spends most of time going around the world getting himself into trouble, and the biggest one comes when he is framed for stealing. He is accused of stealing the Book of Peace, one of the world's most priceless and powerful treasures, and he has ten days to find it, or his friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) is executed in his place. Prior to the situation he is in now, Sinbad was saved and talked to by the Greek Goddess of Chaos, Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer), who makes a deal to get the book in exchange for whatever he wants, but he doesn't plan to go on the journey for her or his friend. Proteus's beautiful fiancée Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) however is a stowaway on the ship and stops him from heading for the sun of the Fiji Islands making sure he carried out and fulfils his mission. On the way they face all the threats sent by Eris to try and stop them, including high tide storms and frozen waters, but she surrenders the book when Sinbad expresses his honesty, including confessing his feelings for Marina, and they kiss in the end. Also starring Dennis Haysbert as Kale, Adriano Giannini as Rat, Jim Cummings as Luca and Frank Welker as Spike the dog. The voice casting is relatively good, Pfieffer as the villain and Zeta-Jones as the sassy heroine stand out, the animation is alright, and the story will appeal to those up for swashbuckling action, a not bad animated comedy adventure. Worth watching!

rollicking fun on the high seas

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
22 December 2007

i really enjoyed this animated feature.it has something for everyone.there's lots of action and adventure and danger on the high seas.there is also plenty of suspense.i also thought the movie was very witty at times,with some great dialogue.if you're a romance buff,there's some of that too.i thought the animation was spectacular,mixing regular animation with a bit of 3D.the look of the film is fantastic.the voice work is terrific.each voice fit the character perfectly.also the movie is quite fast paced,and never really loses any momentum.i'm not sure what the rating is,but i would give it a PG rating as it gets a bit intense.anyway,all in all,a very fun movie.i give Sinbad:Legend of the Seven Seas a strong 8/10

Why is it so misunderstood?

Author: AJ Gallucci from Longmeadow, MA
5 June 2004

This is just another movie that didn't nearly get the box office return it deserved (but as a fan of fellow 2003 bombs Gigli and Cat in the Hat, what do I know?).

Yes, I'll admit Brad Pit's voice work doesn't quite match up with Jeremy Iron's work in The Lion King. But this is an exciting movie filled with exciting action sequences. I was amazed at how cool that sea monster early in the movie was. The siren sequence was equally spectacular in it's solid blend of fantasy and action.

Special kudos to DreamWorks for creating in my opinion the greatest villain (villainess) ever. Add this movie with Batman Returns and White Oleander and you get a nice trilogy of Michelle Pfeiffer villains.

More kudos to DreamWorks for creating Spike, one of my all-time favorite characters. I hear they decided at the last minute to put more of Spike into the movie, I can't thank them enough for doing that.

One Last kudos, because, as an Orangemen fan, I'm glad to see a lot of the story revolves around happenings in a place called Syracuse.

Grade: B+

Adequate

Author: rgmcnabb from Tennessee
28 May 2004

Well, they've done it again. In the grand tradition of modern animated classics, they take wonderful stories from antiquity and staff them with people from suburban Los Angeles. This is a fun enough movie, my children enjoyed it, but it centers around a gaping plot hole (the "book of peace" - what is it? why does it have power?) that is never explained. We're just supposed to accept it and go on. The original Sinbad stories were at least relatively orthodox fantasy adventure tales. This is the product of the post modern mind, where magic books suffuse cities with some sort of magic nuclear radiation that not only powers their ecosystem, but imbues it with moral good as well. Okay. We'll grant them that one. The action is fast paced and fun, and every opportunity is taken to go (basically) surfing and snowboarding, just so the kids won't have to get too far outside their comfort zones. What saves the film, what makes it really worth the effort, is that evil is conquered not by good alone, but by the main character's dedication to what is right. In other words, they are saved not by faith alone, but also by works, which is an important lesson for children. Wealth and power are forsaken so that right can prevail. So with that in mind, it's worth a rental.

Great Animated Movie

Author: RolandtheGunslinger
20 January 2004

Sinbad is an animated feature, and it does very well at being just that. Yes, the action was "over-the-top" and the plot wasn't entirely unpredictable, but who cares? It's not supposed to be a documentary! Look at what they've accomplished. First off, Dreamworks has the ability to be a lot more flexible with their censorship. They don't try to make everything so sanitized like Disney, and I find their animated movies much more entertaining as a result. The score was very well done, as is typical with this composer (by the way, if you liked the scores from Sinbad and Shrek, you'll love the one from Antz). The animation was excellent. Most people have no idea what it takes to actually make something move and not look horrible, and they do a superb job in this movie with both the computer animation and hand-drawn styles alike...not to mention how masterfully they blended the two. They had some really great original ideas for the animation here, like the way Eris moves. I thought it was more enjoyable than Treasure Planet by far. Besides, if Micheal Eisner gets his way, Disney might just stop producing animated films altogether, so it looks like films like these from Dreamworks and Pixar (which is not Disney, only marketed by Disney, and might not be for much longer at that) will be the way things go from now on as far as animation is concerned. And don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself before you call me a dumbass.

Best adventure since Lion King

Author: Laura (lionrose17@yahoo.com) from Virginia
21 December 2003

A great adventure and lots of fun!! It's your typical Disney movie that every one cane enjoy. It's a classic story of love and adventure with lots of creative fight scenes and great characters. I personally think it is Disney's best attempt at their original movies since The Lion King.

What a great ride.

Author: clerk123321 from Amsterdam, Netherlands
3 November 2003

When I heard about this movie this summer I was eager to go and see it. Until I checked the imdb on it, that is. There weren't that many votes (so not that many people that actually went out and watched it), and upon checking the box office / business, i was disappointed to see that this movie wasn't doing too well. My thoughts at that time were 'well, so many people can't be wrong, so let's go see Finding Nemo instead'. Although I found Finding Nemo entertaining, i think it's highly overrated, but that's beside the point here. It took me untill now to go and actually watch Sinbad, and i must say that i was very pleasantly surprised. The beautiful 'camera' work thanks to the clever and high quality CGI made this picture a feast to look at. Thanks to the high paced action sequences and witty dialogue, this movie took me along for a pleasant ride. I was watching the entire movie with a smile on my face, impressed by the graphical splendor, the great voice work and the decent (but run of the mill) story. In my humble opinion the huge difference in rating between this and the formerly mentioned finding nemo is nowhere near the reality. This movie is a good movie in its own right, and if you like action packed movies as well as animated movies, you're in for something great!

Go see it - cause you probably didn't - cause it's worth viewing...

Nothing new, but still entertaining!

Author: polargirl from Helsinki, Finland
4 August 2003

Sinbad:legend of the seven seas is a typical animated movie. It's pretty standard storytelling with the handsome leading man, beautiful but intelligent damsel, funny dog and quirky side kicks. And in my opinion it works really well.

The casting for the voices has been spot on mostly. Even though the most important character Sinbad's (Brad Pitt) voice seems at times quite monotonous. Fiennes, Zeta Jones and Pfeiffer do a very good job though.

Sinbad is worth watching for its villain goddess of chaos (Pfeiffer). She is so so so evil but at the same time stylish you just got to love her.

I'd recommend this movie to young children mostly because everyone else will find it pretty average. It is worth renting.

Please watch this great cartoon

Author: eagl3f3ath3r from UK
28 July 2003

I remember when this cartoon finished, i just wanted to see it again. It's funny from the start to the great end. I think that everyone that likes to watch cartoons and laugh along: this is the one to watch. See it now before it goes off the cinema and you regret it!

a dull movie

Author: superaska from Paris, France
21 July 2003

In many ways, `Sinbad' really looks like `Prince of Egypt' and `Road to Eldorado' Technically, the graphical choices are the same and we can admire the great improvements done since `Prince of Egypt'. The plot is also based on a friendship story between two different people who must face their differences and their responsibilities. John Logan has made a solid story which help to keep our attention during the entire movie. Unfortunately, after a good beginning, Sinbad is a so-so movie due to a poor direction, a lack of rhythm and hideous monsters. It's quite a shame because make an cartoon adaptation of Sinbad was a good idea. It seems that the formula of Katzenberg initiated while he was working for Disney became old and it's time to make more daring animated movies as the Japanese cartoonists do because the quality of animated movies (except the computer generated movies) is decreasing. 5/10

Decent film, but you still leave feeling empty

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
10 July 2003

Sadly, Dreamworks once again failed to make a decent animated movie even with strong resources and an interesting premise. Unfortunately, touting Brad Pitt as a sort of anamoly to the film doesn't work in a way which brings in strong profit margins. Sure, the action sequences were decent and worth watching, but it seemed to try too hard being a movie a grown-up would go to. Either way, very few people seemed to be interested in the movie, considering the dismal returns. Hopefully, Dreamworks will keep trying, and hopefully, there is still a place for 2D animation in the future.

"Who's bad?... Sinbad..."

Author: Victor Field from London, England
6 July 2003

Most of DreamWorks's animated features have a tendency to be mediocre, so I wasn't really expecting much from "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas." And indeed it does start off weakly - but in the end it's a good, entertaining adventure, even if it's not the most loyal version of the seafarer from the Arabian Nights there's ever been.

Sinbad, or to be precise his characterisation and voice, is one of the problems - he comes across as less of an anti-hero and more of a just plain jerk for a lot of the running time, with his relationship with Marina having overtones of David and Maddie on "Moonlighting" (had this movie been made several years ago, one of their arguments would undoubtedly have been followed by their striding off to their quarters and slamming the doors shut), and Brad Pitt's pretty miscast as Sinbad; though the biggest vocal problems come not from Mr. Jennifer Aniston but from Dennis "24" Haysbert as our hero's second-in-command Kale - in addition to summoning up David Palmer without fail, Kale also has the biggest nipples this side of Laetitia Casta ("Get a shirt on before you poke someone's eye out!").

But one of the virtues is John Logan's script; the movie's got believable relationships between the characters to sustain it between the action, and plenty of action to keep the viewer from getting itchy, from the opening attack of a giant sea monster (kudos to the animators for a splendid blending of cel and computer animation throughout, even if some of the shots of the characters from a distance look a bit TOO computer-generated) to the scene with the Sirens to a chase on an icy mountain. This latter is a bit derivative of the Cave of Wonders chase in "Aladdin" crossed with the slide through the caves in "Ice Age," and indeed originality isn't high on the agenda of "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" - not least in the score by Harry Gregson-Williams (which, though fun, does sound like he owes James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri and others a few favours... but he's still one of the better Media Ventures composers, and at least we don't get any songs at all for once!).

Colourful, well-paced and benefitting from some tantalizing voicework from Michelle Pfeiffer and Catherine Zeta Jones (DreamWorks will definitely win brownie points from UK movie-goers for casting the all-American Pfeiffer as the villainous Eris and CZJ - British accent intact - as the good Marina; incidentally, one of the animators listed in the end credits is called... Michael Douglas!), this won't threaten the return of the Terminator at the box office, but it's good exciting entertainment all the same, and their first decent cel-animated movie since "The Prince of Egypt." It must be a Pfeiffer and Fiennes thing.

generic take on the Disney formula

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
30 June 2004

Once upon a time, many years ago, Disney pumped out generic forgettable animated movies with abandon, but now they seem to have farmed that job out to Dreamworks. While Dreamworks has managed to put out some good cartoons, like Prince of Egypt, one can always judge a Dreamworks cartoon by asking, is this a good version of the Disney formula or a bad version?

If anything shows why Dreamworks should sit down and come up with some fresh ideas it's Sinbad, a paint-by-the-numbers movie that is never especially bad but fails, with the exception of the Sirens scene, to exhibit any life at all. It feels as though no one was even trying to make a good movie, that they were just all trying their darndest to make a tolerable but forgettable, formulaic cartoon for people with low standards. It's perfectly watchable, well-animated, decently acted and utterly predictable. And that appears to be all it was striving for.

This film is atrocious!

Author: smirkinpigeon from Cape Town, South Africa
15 October 2003

The problem with Disney is that they make children's films. Although this is not a problem in its self it seems to give Disney the right to make atrocious films such as this one. Remember that a large part of a child's education comes from film and television.

The original Sinbad was an Arab, he was a Muslim and there was no feminism around in his time, let alone the fact that the original Sinbad hails from Bagdad.

What Disney has done to Sinbad is take away his Arab, Muslim, Bagdad and original masculine identity and replaced it with ... mush! But here is where the problem really starts. The lame excuse that people will give Disney is that they make films for children and that therefor this twisting of the original truth is okay. That children will not know the difference anyway. However my question is, if Disney take away everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that Sinbad was, why make a film about Sinbad. Could Disney not have left the original story which in the Arab world equals Homer's Odysee and Iliad.

What this film does is symbolize the growing cultural imperialism of the United States, feeding the world with candy crap. Why is Marina and for that matter Eris, who comes from Helenist religion...not the Muslim, have such a large part in the film. This is due to the growing feminist movement in the 20th century and whilst there is nothing wrong with feminism one cannot just excuse it being juxtaposed on history and therefor sanitizing it. Women did not wear alluring outfits in Bagdad back in the day.

The notion of Sinbad as an individual hero is also Western hogwash. In the original tale Sinbad is a hero and more importantly the pride of the people of Bagdad. His triumph was their triumph and so Sinbad having to fight out his own demons is a total bunch of neo age you-know-what!

But what am I talking about? Its only a kids movie right?

Not so 'bad'

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
3 July 2003

SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS (2003) **1/2 (VOICES OF: Brad Pitt, Cathereine Zeta-Jones, Michelle Pfeiffer, Joseph Fiennes, Dennis Haysbert, Jim Cummings) Better than anticipated animated version of the legendary swashbuckler/rogue of the oceans (a lugubrious Pitt) this time facing a quest to return a powerful `Book of Peace' from the duplicitous Eris, a goddess (Pfeiffer in silky-smooth deviousness vocals) while curbing his desire for his friend's sexy girlfriend (Zeta-Jones providing some enthusiastic zest). The real stars are the computer generated visuals involving some slapstick action sequences, immense monsters, the goddess as a giantess and some amazing environs (including an Arctic encounter) as well as some nods to legendary stop-motion wiz Ray Harryhausen whose career was enhanced by his works on several other Sinbad incarnations. (Dirs: Tim Johnson and Patrick Gilmore)

Hidden depths

Author: Ali_Catterall from London, England
12 November 2009

All set to steer a course for Fiji, the immoral Arabian sailor Sinbad (Pitt) is waylaid by Eris, Goddess of Chaos (Pfeiffer), and framed for stealing the priceless 'Book of Peace' - which she has squirreled away in her hellish domain of Tartarus. Or, as Sinbad puts it: "I meet Eris, she's got a major crush on me - and she's invited me back to her place." Sinbad and crew have just 10 days to retrieve the book or former childhood pal and heir to the throne of Syracuse, the noble Prince Proteus (Fiennes), will be executed in his place.

Joining the not-so-happy band is Marina (Zeta-Jones), Proteus' betrothed, principally there to ensure our anti-hero fulfils his mission to the ends of the Earth and beyond. However, she soon proves herself more than a match for Sinbad, along with the mythological monsters - including seductive sirens and a murderous Roc bird - the mischievous Goddess has placed in their path.

For those nursing fond childhood memories of Ray Harryhausen's 'Dynamation' flicks, Dreamworks' take on the sailor man may come as something of a let-down. Certainly, it sunk with barely a ripple Stateside, the third major 2-D animated feature to do so after The Road To El Dorado and Treasure Planet. And Sinbad does look rather flat at times, despite some ingenious blending of traditional artwork and CGI, especially 'when Sirens attack'.

Yet the 'adult-accommodating' Rat Pack-style wisecracks between the curiously camp shipmates ("Get a shirt on before you poke someone's eye out!" Sinbad admonishes his large-nippled helmsman) become tiresome pretty quickly. However, well-developed character relationships - the tumultuous pair-off between Marina and the eponymous rogue in particular - just about elevates this one above formula.

The noticeable lack of a histrionic Phil Collins or Elton John ballad also helps, while Pfeiffer, in full-on Catwoman mode, is a treat, bringing to the role her unsurpassed mix of exquisite evil and playful sexuality. The ending, unexpected and surprisingly moving, may even have you surreptitiously wiping a little tear away.

Mediocre

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
11 May 2004

I don't want to be mean but I am not surprised this movie flopped so bad. Audiences seem to be turning their backs on traditional animation in favor of CGI (check out Finding Nemo's box office results, like $300 million and climbing).

There's nothing particularly wrong with Sinbad. It just doesn't stand out in any way. There is no edge or spark or real reason why we should pay it any attention. Sure there are some funny jokes, a bit of humor and dramatic scenes backed by a loud and appropriately jingoistic score. But we've seen this hundreds of times.

Be it DreamWorks or Disney, hand drawn animation is DEFINITELY out. Piglet's Big Movie, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis and Road to El Dorado all bombed. The Emperor's New Groove was the last successful one I can think of but it had a sense of humor more in common with The Simpsons or Family Guy; widening the audience appeal.

No doubt DreamWorks are hoping this will do better on DVD. Though I still can't see any reason why anyone should choose this over something more ambitious such as Monsters Inc. or Nemo. It's a good way to kill 90 minutes, but nothing you'll want to watch again.

Highly inaccurate parody at best

Author: Vincent Black from United States
26 January 2004

This cartoon was made to sell tickets to kids not anyone much over 10 years old. Many things about Sinbad are just not accurate in this movie. To start, Sinbad was a muslim sailor from the city of Baghdad, this was most likely changed in the movie due to the U.S. and Muslim hostilities. Muslims believe in a single male God figure but a Greek or Roman theology is injected into the storyline with a Goddess of Chaos character. Most of the time the themes of Sinbad stories and movies have centered around him saving some prince or higher power from an evil wizard or sorceress. He has a brittish boxer as a pet. This story makes him a pirate or thief. I suppose if you remove yourself from the Sinbad tales and just watch the show it is very less than most cartoon adventures lacking action, direction, and putting most kids my age to sleep.

The voice cast can't save this weak movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
19 December 2003

The movie has an excellent voice cast and some well placed jokes but it can't save this weak movie.

The biggest problem is the absurd story. but i's not only the story itself that is weak but also the beyond believe action that even for an animated movie is way too much over the top. It seems like the creators abandoned all logic.

A disturbing thing were the totally unnecessary computer animations, it simply didn't blended in with the normal animations and on top of that; it didn't looked very convincing. And about the animation itself; it was nothing new or special.

But the movie is far from bad. It has some extremely well placed and funny jokes and the characters are excellent and so is the voice cast, especially Joseph Fiennes was great. Further more there are some nice scene's that are also very original and worth remembering. The music from Harry Gregson-Williams was also highly enjoyable.

A weak movie but it has some nice elements in it.

To comment or not to...

Author: Per Hauberg
18 August 2003

This film will not be in Denmark until next month, and will have to wait, both to watch and to comment. In the meantime, I would just ask that others do their homework better, before getting nasty in here:

Read here, and You will all know, ehat I mean: -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Eye London, England

Date: 22 July 2003 Summary: Being the Disney that they are, we're given the "formula" again... and again... and again...

Good god, not another one of these Disney rubbish again.This will be the LAST time I will give a Disney feature a go. EVER.

I can't help it.

Author: Iconoclaus
15 July 2003

I have to say it, Aries is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the goddess of chaos. He is the GOD of WAR!!! Anyone who has watched Hercules will pick this up very very quickly.

Ok Rant Ok, except for the glaring mistake, which I am sure is done intentionally as part of the "against the grain" thing Dreamworks SKG has going against Disney, this movie should serve as an entertaining distraction and a movies for the kiddies to go to.

A feel good happy ending and nothing more. I can't say I can watch it again though. :)

Good and underrated Dreamworks flick

Author: StartingAllOver14 from Norway
20 December 2008

Like most of us knows, Dreamworks has been the most noteworthy American competitor to Disney. While they claimed to be innovative with their animated flicks, their hand-drawn films have still been good, but also still flawed in their owned way; "Prince of Egypt" were good and majestic, but too pompous and gloomy. "The Road to El Dorado" were more fun and lighthearted, but suffered from some huge story holes. "Spirit" were cute and Disney-like, but suffered by some dreadful Bryan Adams ballads.

"Sinbad" doesn't contains any big flaws. While it isn't innovative either, it's still a good and watchable cartoon that should be given a chance to every movie-lover.

The animation is quite good. The characters likable. The voice actors does a good job, although their voices are recognizable, they're not distracting. Brad Pitt is good as the fun-loving Sinbad. Catherine Zeta-Jones is also good as the vulnerable, but tough Marina. Michelle Pfeiffer is perfectly sexy and seductive as Eris and Joseph Fiennes is marvelous as Proteus. But the most recognizable voice goes to Dennis Haysbert as the sympathetic Kale (since I used to watch "24" in 2003).

There's enough action to keep kids as adults interested. The score of Harry Gregson-Williams is simple and classical, but still good. In a way, "Sinbad" contains all the elements of a Disney movie, without it feels like a Disney flick, which is a good thing.

But does "Sinbad" contains some flaws? Yes, it does. They're not so huge, but considering that I used to be a fan of the 1001 nights stories, there's little left from the original Sinbad tale. Not that it distracts the viewer to enjoy the movie, but a little more reference to the original tale would have been nice (although no film is entirely accurate to it's original source).

The other flaw is that in a animated flick you must have a protagonist to cheer for, but although Sinbad is a charming guy, he still have some very inhumanly and cruel sides that it's hardly explained during the movie. Then you've feel sort of forced to support him during the movie, rather than cheer him up genuinely.

Besides that, "Sinbad" it's a good film that it's worth a view.

Great animation with deep characters and a story to boot.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
30 May 2008

Its sad they don't make movies like this anymore so I'll just have to settle with anime which is superior to what's out there nowadays. Very disheartening to hear that this animated feature was a commercial failure despite its well-thought executed ideas and production values. Sinbad was always my favorite mythical hero in literature. As a youngster I read the books and then having finally seen the film itself on opening day on that hot sunny summer day with my family. Needless to say I enjoyed it. My whole family enjoyed it. Now just finished watching it on video, I like it even more. Sinbad is perfect for all ages with great animation that rivals even Disney's and a great storyline with stellar voice acting from Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Michelle Pfeiffer. I was surprised to hear Dennis Haysbert of "24" fame!! His voice was great; deep,commanding, and authoritative, the way it should sound for such a character. The only thing missing is musical interludes throughout this animated film. Oh I must've forgot this isn't Disney. And thankfully its not. And the soundtrack is excellent and full of adventure and excitement with heart-pumping adrenaline that makes you wanna jump up in a euphoric vibe. I sincerely hope someday animation makes a comeback because it is something really special to see, experience, and behold.

Better than every Disney movie...

Author: Siel_O from Israel
1 September 2005

I found Sinbad a very beautiful animated piece from USA which I usually *HATE* the animated movies from there.

The movie is funny, fast, entertaining and interesting. It succeeds in every aspect - wild action scenes or quiet sensitive dialog scenes. The romantic story is also beautiful and develops well.

The animation is STANNING, the music is amazing, voice acting is excellent, beautiful character design, I love it all.

It's the kind of movie I can watch again and again and not get bored, several scenes are just a masterpiece in my opinion - the perfect combination between visuals, sound and content.

It's probably one of my favorite American animations... (along with Disney's the little mermaid)

Frustrating

Author: marloweisdead from antarctica
15 February 2004

*MAY BE SPOILERS*

Making this animated version of Sinbad could have really opened up the flood-gates of the imagination. I watched the "Making Of" Featurette on the DVD, and the animators indeed talked about letting their imaginations rip... I would have to beg to differ... the sirens were well executed, the giant eagle less so, and the sea monster was adequate... that was as far as it went! Apart from a few more constellationary critters who surround Sinbad and Marina for all of two seconds, that's about your lot. Very frustrating. I must say however, I did like the shifting sands world of Eris, Goddess of Discord (a Greek Goddess), and indeed, for what there WAS, I enjoyed it; I just wished there were more of it!

Author: Dark Eye from London, England
22 July 2003

Good god, not another one of these Disney rubbish again. Each year after year I spent my money on tickets, hoping that they will improve. I loved all their pre-Lion King era features so I gave them my chances, my benefit of the doubt. So did they ever learn from their past mistakes? That's wishful thinking. Even my 11-year old cousin left the cinema half-asleep. This will be the LAST time I will give a Disney feature a go. EVER.

Now they stated that 2D animation is dead. Well just look WHO killed it in the first place! Disney have only themselves to blame for not listening to us for years.