IMDb > Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A Beautiful Animated Odyssey

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
6 March 2004

"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is a wonderful animated feature by Dreamworks. This under-rated movie was very well done with eye-catching visuals and an intriguing story. The scenes of the battle against the sea monster, and the visit to Eris' realm in Tartarus are particularly artistic. Granted, the legend of Sinbad may have been taken far from its "Arabian Nights" roots to go more towards Greek mythology. But all the mythic elements make the story a thing of wonder. Personally, I think every mythology and folklore canon in the world has some connections with each other, so who's to say that Middle Eastern folklore doesn't share any similarities with Greek mythology? Anyway, "Sinbad" truly deserves to be seen and enjoyed!

A Solid, Traditional, Animated Movie

Author: tabuno from utah
6 July 2003

This mostly traditionally animated motion picture demonstrates that computer special effects hasn't completely dominated the cartoon genre. The solid storyline and only the briefest of dummy moments inserted mostly for the kids, makes Sinbad an excellent offering for summer entertainment. Instead of fluff, we get creative animation with great computer effects as highlights, characters we can care about, and a storyline based on the most basic, fundamental moral premises - the nature of friendship and sacrifice, along with a strong female character. With few outlandish, quips except for marginal characters that provide a backdrop of comic relief, the use of humor with tact, and a delightful adventure and a moral tale that brings both sadness and hope, Sinbad brings back and more the classic animation motion pictures with vivid, bright, and glorious expression. Eight out of ten stars.

Gorgeous and astounding cartoon film with an outstanding and fantastic starring

Author: ma-cortes
4 January 2005

The movie concerns on Simbad , 1001 nights' hero . The sailor of legend is framed by the goddess Eris for the theft of the Book of Peace , as an object with extraordinary power has been stolen and Simbad must retrieve it but if he doesn't obtain it , his friend prince will be beheaded . Simbad goes out with his ship and the pirates henchmen and as stowaway the prince's girlfriend . They will ought to face off several dangers : storms , ominous mermaids , deep chasms , giant animals and must travel to a realm at the end of the world to retrieve it and save the life of his childhood friend Prince .

In the picture there are mythology , humor , rip-roaring , adventures , swashbuckling and it's pretty bemusing . It's a combo of computer generator and hand-drawn animation by Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson with voices from Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones . The movie mingles spectacular cartoon with FX computer generator as when the heroes are taking on monsters because these are made by computer . The confrontation amongst the starring and the giant bird named Roc (also appears in ¨The seventh voyage of Simbad¨ directed by Nathan Juran) is mesmerizing and fascinating , it's the best part of the film . In the movie there is a homage to Ray Harryhausen because the monsters are similar , though here are made by computer and on Ray's films are by means of Dynamation and stop-motion . Film obtained much success likeness to previous motion picture ¨Treasure planet¨ , both of them achieved quite money at the box office.

Good production by Jerry Katzemberg , David Geffen who along with Steven Spielberg constituted Dreamworks . Harry Gregson Williams' musical score is atmospheric and enjoyable . The fable will appeal to fantasy fans and adventure cartoon buffs . Rating : Very nice , well catching .

Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge

Author: Dean Kish (dwkish@shaw.ca) from Calgary Canada
27 June 2003

Sinbad the Sailor, probably the greatest anti-hero of the Arabian Knights, has seen many incarnations over the years. This time a new animated film from DreamWorks delves into the myth with some celebrity voices in tow.

Sinbad (Brad Pitt) is a happy pirate bent on retiring to Fiji after stealing the legendary Book of Peace. The only problem is that his childhood friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) stands in his way. Sinbad finds himself in a conundrum when he fails to obtain the book and ends up following his friend back to his palace where he is introduced to Proteus's future wife Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones).

When Sinbad is eventually framed by Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer), the Goddess of Chaos for stealing the Book of Peace, Proteus defends his friend for the crime. Proteus puts his life on the line so that Sinbad can sail into uncharted territory and retrieve the book. Unbeknownst to Sinbad, Marina tags along. Can Sinbad wrestle with a goddess and get through uncharted territory in time to save his friend?

Sinbad has always been an epic character and one of my favorites from classic literature and myth. He has inspired so many other multi-layered adventure characters over the years. I was first exposed to his adventures when I was a child and obsessed with seeing more movies from legendary creature creator, Ray Harryhausen. The Sinbad trilogy from Harryhausen still has a soft spot in my plethora of movie favorites. I loved the magic and vastness of worlds that inhabited Sinbad as a character.

It was that knowledge and foundation that made me so excited about seeing a new incarnation of a classic character. I had the same reaction when Disney re-invented `Tarzan' in their animated film. I was half-hoping that there would be a great musical score like that of Disney's `Tarzan' or `Aladdin' but what I did end up seeing wasn't your typical animated cartoon. That was a whole new blessing unto itself.

DreamWorks's Sinbad was definitely a whole re-envisioning of the character but also quite a bold project on its own. I loved how the film seamlessly melded standard animation and computer graphics. There hasn't been an animated film yet that has been able to make such a successful fusion. The backgrounds were utter eye-candy. I also really enjoyed how smart and delectable the dialogue was between these characters. The humor and drama were very involving and extremely enjoyable. As with every Sinbad movie, you always want to see more far off lands and more creatures. That allure and mystery is alive and well in this version.

What was probably the most interesting was that this was the first time an animated film had a character fall in love with his best friend's future wife or that an executioner is ready with a giant axe to slice off a character's head. Even some of the tongue-in-cheek humor was more aimed at adults than children. I liked that because it acknowledged that you don't have to be under 12 years old to enjoy animated films.

My only wish for Sinbad would be that it had a grander score or a memorable song. I wanted some epic music for such a grand character. A bolder score would have made the animated film feel big enough to encompass what Sinbad is. I liked how DreamWorks used music in both `Spirit' and `Road to El Dorado' but seemed to have dropped the ball for this one.

Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge but it needed to be bolder and bigger to do justice to such a legendary character. I just wanted more. (4 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.

Kids loved it. So did I

Author: wyldwing from USA - SO. CAL
7 July 2003

Took the kids to see Sinbad. We all enjoyed it. I thought the animation was great. Just because it isn't Toy Story 3 doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact the shapeshifter was just amazing.

There are a couple points in the movie where the dialogue seems to take longer than necessary, but overall it's action packed.

My kids are 3 and 6. They loved Nemo, they loved this.

I totally loved it. The animation was beautiful and the storyline interesting enough. I would see it again.

Author: Edith M. Gipson (gipsone@prodigy.net) from Houston, Texas
10 July 2003

I was surprised that Sinbad was seen as a failure. I loved the animation and the storyline. It was a PG rated animated movie, what should be expected? The drawing was on time, the voices were great and the adventure was mesmerizing. I would take my grandchildren to see it again just as an excuse to view this cinematic treasure again.

Very imaginative !

Author: Daniel from Paris, France
18 July 2004

I know and love all the movies with the famous "Sinbad" (from the Ray Harryhausen time). But I find the recent remakes (TV production) are always boring because off the lack of imagination from the directors.

So I hesitated a long time before watching this one. (above all with a "DISNEY" movie ! I feared to fall asleep.)

But I love this one ! The story is absolutely new, surprising and imaginative. The runtime's movie is short, so no time to bore. The charactere way of talking is really fun and modern, with hilarious quotes. My favourite one is when the Sinbad's ship arrives at the end of the sea, and someone says : "Well, at least, that proves earth is flat !" (LOL !)

Not a masterpiece, but a really good entertainment !

A fantastic family movie

Author: jodierose from Australia
6 July 2003

The animation graphics were brilliant, nice and big monsters for the family to enjoy. A bit of comedy thrown in there for the adults. A great one to see if you are a animation fan. This movie is definately a keeper.

Wow!!!!!!

Author: buseoana from Romania
25 June 2005

this was one of the coolest animated movies i have ever seen!!!! it's absolutely great!!!! it's got humor, tones of adventure, great plot, really interesting stuff going on, lots of well-known "voices" and it's extremely exciting. it's unlike anything until now. and it surely beats the crap out of Popeye!!!! really cool, the producers did a great job, i really loved it! i especially loved that book and the fact that there isn't anything ordinary in this world. you except to be another silly little story about a little pirate and wow, but the whole story is enchanted and fantastic. it's absolutely great! i haven't seen such a great movie in years!!!

Beautifully animated adventure movie, with unusually strong female characters to off-set a slightly uninspired storyline.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
10 January 2007

"Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" is a beautifully animated adventure film from the folks at Dreamworks. It might not be as good from the story point-of-view as some of the other films released by the studio ("Shrek 1 and 2" and "The Road To El Dorado" are better), but it makes up for its lack of narrative ingenuity in other departments.

Infamous pirate Sinbad (voice of Brad Pitt) and his crew attack another ship in the Mediterranean Sea. They are trying to steal enough riches to retire to a life of luxury in Fiji, but their plans are interrupted when Sinbad discovers that the boat he's just boarded belongs to an old childhood friend, Prince Proteus (voice of Joseph Fiennes). Proteus is delivering a valuable, magical book – The Book Of Peace – to Syracuse, and is determined to protect his priceless cargo whatever the cost. After being knocked overboard Sinbad is saved from drowning by Eris, the Goddess of Discord (voice of Michelle Pfeiffer). She persuades him to steal the Book Of Peace for her, promising him wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams. But later Eris herself steals the Book, framing Sinbad for the crime and leaving him to face execution in the city of Syracuse. Proteus is the only person who believes that Sinbad is innocent of the crime so he does a deal. Proteus offers himself for execution and lets Sinbad go free – the arrangement being that Sinbad must return within ten days with the Book. If he returns in time, he will be pardoned. If he returns late or not at all, Proteus will die. Initially, Sinbad plans to sail away as soon as his ship is over the horizon, but when Proteus's fiancée Marina (voice of Catherine Zeta-Jones) turns up as a stowaway on his ship he has to change his plans. Sinbad and his crew endure an action-packed adventure as they head towards Eris's kingdom of Tartarus – a land from which no-one has ever returned alive. Along the way, Sinbad learns a few important life-lessons, such as commitment, honesty, friendship and loyalty. But he also finds himself falling in love with Marina, even though she is betrothed to his friend. Worse still, he learns that getting the book back from Eris will require sacrifices and a change of character that might just be beyond his ability…..

"Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" consists of good and not-so-good elements. As mentioned, the animation is consistently excellent throughout. Harry Gregson-Williams gives the film a memorable and exciting score, and John Logan's screenplay provides a sufficient variety of adventures in adventurous realms. The vocal acting is OK too, with some of the stars enjoying better roles than others. Pfeiffer and Zeta-Jones in particular get fully into the spirit of the film. Indeed, one of the most refreshing things about the entire movie is the strong female presence in it – both Eris and Marina are powerful characters whose involvement in the story is central to everything going on. The not-so-good elements include a rather bland, by-the-numbers plot (anyone who's ever seen a Ray Harryhausen film will knows what's coming well before it happens). Similarly, the film has an annoying habit of either Americanising or modernising everything… most notably the dialogue and the banter. Then there's the fact that Sinbad dreams of retiring to Fiji a good millennium or two before Fiji had even been discovered – another lack of attention to detail that grates on the viewer. On the whole, however, I found "Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" to be an enjoyable and somewhat overlooked animated fantasy. Aside from its periodic flaws it's definitely fun for the family.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]