IMDb > Musical Masterpieces (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
27 August 2012

Musical Masterpieces (1946)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

It's probably not a good idea to add too much hype to your film so the producers adding "masterpiece" to the title really oversells this thing but for the most part it's entertaining enough to make it worth watching. Carlos Ramirez and Lucille Norman are the stars here as they recreate some classic songs. Up first is an orchestra number on "Flight of the Bumblebee" that manages to be slightly entertaining, although the added bee photography wasn't needed. Up next Ramirez does "The Donkey Serenade" where he and a child sit on a donkey while he sings. Finally, Ramirez and Norman do "Vienna Waltz" together. Again, if you're expecting something great or something that's going to have you singing along then it's best to skip this thing. However, if you're just looking for a fun 9-minutes then this here gets the job done. I thought Ramirez was pretty good in his two numbers and while his singing didn't blow me away, it was at least fun to listen to.

Part of a 3 disc collection

Author: malcolmgsw from london
28 December 2015

This short is one of 36 featured on the 3 disc set entitled "Classic shorts from the dream factory volume ".This contains shorts made by MGM.They are either comedy or musical.Generally speaking I feel that they compare unfavourable with the set issued comprising of Warner shorts.The best shorts in this collection are those in 3 strip Technicolor.There is one Oscar winning short which I found rather dull.It just seems to me that MGM did not put too much effort into these bearing in mind that they were generally included with the features at no additional cost to the exhibitor.Still it won't stop me buying more of this type of disc.