IMDb > Above Freezing (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Above Freezing More at IMDbPro »

Above room temperature

Author: 24601-6 from London, England
21 July 2000

Above Freezing is an above average film that covers the basics of many romantic stories that Hollywood punches out like clockwork every year. If you watch this film, you will witness a man who is not ready to commit to someone. His uncertainty is due to the timing of his own life and not due to the woman he wants to marry. The story is told within a sitcom-like viewpoint with quick lines and phrases that reiterate, and yet place a different spin on the cliches that are so-often heard in American movies. The ending is unique a la Soprano style, as everything falls into place after an hour of agony in a refrigerated florist vault.

The film is short, keeping the agony to a minimum and yet satisfying the viewer with a quick flick about love, commitment, flowers, and mobsters.

outstanding comedy

Author: (gberke@geraldberke.com) from woodstock, ny
23 April 2006

good comedies, really good comedies, are hard to come by. this is a bit whimsical, but the characters are very well acted, and the writing is outstanding. I would promise that you will like it 'cause if you didn't, well, I'd have to say there was at least a little something wrong with you. That is very unlikely, won't you agree? See it. (I tried to send this and was told I have to write more. OK) I don't know the actors, with one exception I hadn't seen them before. Ah, yes, the lines are delivered with a great tempo (really need that for comedy). The other review, right before this one, is pretty good. I just wanted to say that the movie was good without repeating, so you'd see it. One thing: when you do, come back and write another review, maybe even better than mine.

Slight but very enjoyable

Author: Boyo-2
15 May 2001

I really liked this movie. It has an intelligent and believable script and actors that look and act like real people. There is not much to it but since it clocks in at ninety minutes you won't mind it.

The plot, such as it is, concerns a committment-phobic guy who has cancelled dinner with his girlfriends' mothers house several times. He admits that some of those cancellations were necessary but some were not. It has to do with the bigger picture anyway, he finds out after closer examination with Lloyd - the man who he is stuck in a florists' refrigerator with, which is the reason for his latest no-show.

Some of the dialogue is hysterical and all the acting is very good - I had never seen anyone in the cast save for J.K. Simmons and Gene Canfield, but they were all surprisingly great.

The happy ending includes a twist that is very satisfying and somewhat rare in movies. Can't give it away here!

Very recommended - 8/10.