IMDb > "That '70s Show" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"That '70s Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"That '70s Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

the '70s...those were the days

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
15 May 2005

I guess that one might say that "That '70s Show" is to the 1990s what "Happy Days" was to the 1970s: a look at how cool things were twenty years earlier in Wisconsin. And they do a great job with it. The characters are: Eric Foreman (Topher Grace), a sometimes clueless high school student; Donna Pinciotti (Laura Prepon), Eric's strong-willed friend; Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher), a complete imbecile; Jackie Burkhart (Mila Kunis), the vain, egotistical member of the group; Steven Hyde (Danny Masterson), the cynical member of the group; Fez (Wilmer Valderrama), a foreign exchange student who always tries to be cool; Red (Kurtwood Smith), Eric's hard-ass father; and Kitty (Debra Jo Rupp), Eric's jolly mother.

Tommy Chong occasionally appears as Hyde's stoner boss Leo. Throughout the series, the circle of friends comes across all sorts of situations, which usually end up accentuating Kelso's stupidity or Hyde's distrust of authority. Oftentimes, they assess everything through popular culture (namely disco or any TV show that had existed up to that point). But no matter what happens, it's always safe to assume that Red will threaten to kick someone in the ass, or at least call someone a dumb-ass.

Either way, it's a great show. You gotta see it.

This show is absolutely hilarious.

Author: (llihilloh)
21 July 2002

I didn't start to watch "That '70s show" until about a year or so ago and I sure wish that I would have started tuning in a lot earlier. This series is really funny, really different, and has an amazing cast.

In my opinion, this is one of the best casts assembled in a long time. Everybody makes me laugh (especially Eric and Fez). All of the characters are likable and each actor puts in that little something each week that is needed to make a television series survive. Topher Grace is really great and I still can't believe that he didn't have any acting experience prior to this show. That's one of the best things about this show - all of the actors really had no acting gigs and just fell into the roles immediately.

The writers are extremely funny. Although the writing is simple at times, it's unpredictable the next, and that's what I like. Each episode has good scenarios/plots and always makes me laugh.

Everything about it is good and it's not the same as all of the other shows that are currently on TV. It stands out with an excellent cast (and an excellent theme song. That thing gets stuck in my head so easily.) I like the seventies, I like this show, but was "That '80s Show" really necessary?

Best sitcom, funniest sitcom, ever.

Author: dpoll390 from United States
22 September 2005

This show has come so far. At first EVERYONE in the cast from Eric to Fez, they were all new actors and actresses, fresh faces, and just look what they accomplished. They stuck with the show and it was a success. Its one of the best shows ever made and its probably the funniest sitcom I've ever seen in my life. It will be sad to see it end but if they end this show, I hope to God that the series finale goes out with one of the biggest bangs that any season finale has ever had. I don't care if the whole season sucks because they save all the fuel for the final episode. Go down swinging, get one last punch in. The show deserves it, the fans deserve it, if they go, let everyone know its going to end, like on Friends, and let the finale be huge. I say get Donna and Eric married, I say have Hyde and Kelso fight and become friends again, I say have something interesting happen between Fez and Jackie because Fez has been trying for so long, but of course it wont work out for him. JUST CLOSE OUT THE SERIES BIG TIME GUYS!

That 70s Show will always be the best in my eyes. Eric, Kelso, Donna, Jackie, Fez, Hyde, I wish I had you guys as friends. You are the best!

10/10...

A winner for FOX

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
1 October 2000

This show is one of my favorites. I just started watching it last week when Fox aired an episode every night of the week. I cannot believe I've been missing this show! It's one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time. Tho, I'm no fan of the 70's as a decade, the show makes me wanna go back and live it all again...wait I was born in 1978, so forget that idea. Anyhow...the show follows the lives of a group of 17 year- olds in the 70's and everything they do is hilarious. I love the character of Fez, who happens to be foreign, and he's sorta the dork of the show. He tries to be cool and catch all the fads of the time, but he never seems to get it right, and he's always after Jackie, played by the beautiful Mila Kunis. As for Jackie, the relationship between her and her boyfriend is classic. The guy is a total idiot, and she's almost as dippy as he is...As for Eric, who is the male lead, and Donna- his girlfriend, they are so sweet together...if I do say so myself. They are the perfect couple on the show, and I'm shocked they're acting, they do the couple thing so well! The show is like a lot of comedies, but it's got an edge most shows don't. I love the shots where the camera rotates around the table, showing all the guys talking...it's a staple of almost every episode. Check this show out if you haven't had a chance, or chose to ignore it!!

Consistently Funny

Author: gerard-21 from United States
2 December 2004

Unlike the 70s sitcom it sometimes mocks (Happy Days), this show has no peaks and valleys, and never "jumped the shark". It's just a rock solid, funny show and has been for the duration of its run (so far). I have watched just about every episode since the beginning, and have never been let down. It's an extremely underrated show which could reach ledgendary status if it runs for a few more years. Everyone in the cast is very funny and endearing in their own way. The best thing is that they never stray from the original characterizations. And you never doubt for a minute that you're back in the seventies, unlike Happy Days, which was set in the 50s yet much of the cast (Scott Baio anyone?) sported contemporary haircuts. This show is a gem. Watch. You won't be disappointed.

The Most Complete Show

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
26 September 2005

From the very first episode That '70s Shows delivered a very consisting humor and is definitely without a doubt in one's mind that this is one of the funniest show ever created.

Brief: That '70s Shows tell us the life of six teenagers living in Wisconsin through the hippie period.

This is without doubt the birthplace of six young talented actors such as Ashton Kutcher, and is considered to be the show with the best cast (consider this is their first acting carrier). The story really captured the sense of the '70s brilliantly and how funky it is to be in that period.

Not just that, That '70s Shows also have a brilliant humor throughout and the directing is very original and smart. For me, I think it going to be damn hard to dislike the show.

Recommendation: One Of The Most Complete Show, I Have Ever See.

Rating: 9/10 (Grade: A+)

The only show I'll watch...

Author: DarthBill from United States
6 January 2004

Along with reruns of "Seinfeld", of course, and maybe some "Friends" reruns.

We all know the plot by now: life in the 70s. My mom says that some of the characters actually remind her of people she knew when she was in high school then.

Lots of great pokes at the decade here, from disco to streaking to Star Wars to Charlie's Angels (and yet no jokes about TV's "M*A*S*H"), and all the usual coming of age jokes (men VS women). The beautiful red haired, deep voiced, 5-foot-10-inch Laura Prepon, who plays Donna (and was also the main reason I started watching this show), is probably the most normal character on the show (the only time she ever really got colorfully bent out of shape about something was when she found another woman's underwear in Eric's car, which is understandable for any woman, only to find out that her mom and dad were back there one night) with Topher Grace's Eric in second place. Danny Masterson is great as the dead pan conspiracy theorist Hyde. I don't see what's so great about Ashton Kutcher, but I will give him credit for giving his all in the role of the male bimbo, same to Mila Kunis (who's finally making the transition from simply cute to actually being beautiful) as the self-absorbed Jackie and Wilmer Valderamma (or however you spell his name) as Fez. However, this show has ruined my ability to enjoy the 1987 hit "Robocop" because I've come to enjoy Kurtwood Smith so much in the role of Eric's cranky dad Red Foreman that I can't stand to see him as the evil Clarence Boddicker who helps mutilate Peter Weller's Murphy in "Robocop". It's a shame they had to replace Lisa Robin Kelly as Lori, even though the new actress Christina Moore is prettier.

I will say this though: the show has now exhausted and run all good ideas, and yet it's still more endearing than TV's "M*A*S*H". Here's the rule for watching the reruns: if Donna's mom Midge (former Bond girl Tanya Roberts, who rallied a few other former Bond girls together for an episode) is there, you're good. However, if Eric and Donna have broken up, change the channel immediately (it's just not right, those two not being together) or if Donna is sporting blonde hair, or if Eric and Kelso just aren't there at all, also change the channel. The fifth season shows where Jackie starts dating Hyde are pretty much reliable. But all in all, it's a great watch, certainly a lot better than current "Friends" and "The Simpsons".

70's Rock

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
10 November 2002

As the title suggests, this comedy takes place in the 70's (one of my favorite musical decades). It revolves around a group of friends which are all late teenagers and covers all of their daily hassles with friends, parents work and love. There is a variety of different and real characters here, plus the one that no comedy can work without it seems: the incredible dumb-ass. In this series this person is Kelso (Ashton Kutcher). Then there is Eric (Topher Grace), whose basement is the place where the main characters usually hang to avoid their parent and Erics sister. Eric is an OK guy, whose girlfriend Donna (Laura Pepron) lives in the same street as he does. The relationship between the two is very well worked out and they behave in a way I think is appropriate for serious couples of that age. The rest of the crew are Jackie (Mila Kunis) who is really self absorbed and not one of the favorite's of the group, although she belongs there. Then of course there's Fez (Wilmer Valderrama) the foreigner, who is thinks very highly of himself at times, but who is also naive and shy in a way. The crew is completed by my favorite character, Hyde (Danny Masterson). The reason I like him so much is that he is very easygoing. Plus he is extremely cool, I mean when he cracks a joke or makes a remark it always strikes a chord, whether it is a wise or a mean statement. Overall this is a good show with some great and some standard comedy characters (of which not all are mentioned here).

8 out of 10

Funny indeed.

Author: shanfloyd from India
12 May 2005

This is a really funny show indeed. The script is good and never fails to deliver new ideas. After seven seasons, the show hasn't got boring and that credits must go to the writers. There are some very interesting and funny characters like Red Forman, Fez or regular guest characters like Leo. The actors are quite good, especially Danny Masterson or Wilmer Valderrama (he got a fabulous accent) or Debra Jo Rupp. At first Mila Kunis was really bad but she got better as the show advanced. It is good that the story advanced really well along these seasons. And I like the way they capture the '70s atmosphere, like through the references of the movies or music.

And the title song rocks.

Most Underrated Sitcom

Author: Jason Kelp from United States
19 May 2006

This was one of the funniest and greatest sitcom to hit national television. Its unfortunate that the show is not placed amongst great sitcoms where it truly belongs. The actors did a superb job and seasons one thru six were the show at its peak point. Although season seven was not as great when compared to the previous six, it was still funny. Season 8 was the real problem kicked in. Without Topher grace or Ashton Kutcher the show simply fell apart. Not too say, the other actors weren't great if any of 2 main characters had left such as Danny Masterson, Wilder Valderamma Kurtwood Smith, Debra Jo Rupp, Mila Kunis and Laura Prepon ( Don Starks and tommy Chong are great too) left the show it would have the same affect. And the inclusion of Randy ( Josh Meyers) didn't help either because he was not well received by the shows fans. I believe if the show ended a year ago it would have certainly gone down in history as one of the sitcom greats. Season 8 was a little dull but the finale was excellent. I am going to miss the show, i just hope i wake up one day to find out the show is back as That 80's show with the same cast because i am going to miss the hell out of it.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]